++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #15,586 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I received a pair of brand new ATH-M50 in the mail. After a good few hours of listening, I've come to find that, overall, I don't like them. I do like the bass of them though. Also, know that I like the trebles and the mids of my HD555, but it's a bit bass shy. I love my M5's, but I tend to find that the sub-bass is a bit too much. Otherwise it's an amazing IEM.

My budget will be around $300 USD. This will pretty flexible though since I may be saving a bit more.

I will be buying an amp and dac according to the headphone I choose. I've been contemplating about the Schiit Asgard and Bifrost.

The bitrate of my library varies from 156kbps (being the minority), 320kbps (only a few more than the previous), and FLAC (80% of my library.)

I listen to a bit of everything, but my library most consists of electronic music now-a-days.

This will be a 100% home set-up. I don't mind if the headphone is open or closed, as long as it has the right sound.

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD650's or possibly waiting on a higher end headphone to fall within reach on the BST.

I just need thought from someone a bit more experienced than myself.

Have you ever try the Grado/Alessandro Headphone since closed or open back headphones doesn't bother you?

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #15,588 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been thinking about picking up the MS1 or the SR-80i to get a feel for the sound signature, but I have yet to hear them.

Since you love treble and mid-range i presume you might like the MS1/MS1i or SR80i soundsignature, you should give it a try at local audio store. It won't cost you nothing just by trying
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #15,589 of 29,490
Quote:

Since you love treble and mid-range i presume you might like the MS1/MS1i or SR80i soundsignature, you should give it a try at local audio store. It won't cost you nothing just by trying
beerchug.gif

So, it will cost me something.~

I really wish I did have a local headphone dealer. Unfortunately, I don't. So, I have to buy to try.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #15,590 of 29,490
Looking for a set of headphones for my ipod. I will be using them mainly in the train so they have to be able to survive a backpack.
Currently I'm doubting between the AKG K518 ,Philips SHL9560 and the Sennheiser PX 200 II.
Music taste is very wide so no help with that although it's probably overall not very much bass.
So which of these is better or are there other widely available better alternatives around the same price.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #15,591 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I received a pair of brand new ATH-M50 in the mail. After a good few hours of listening, I've come to find that, overall, I don't like them. I do like the bass of them though. Also, know that I like the trebles and the mids of my HD555, but it's a bit bass shy. I love my M5's, but I tend to find that the sub-bass is a bit too much. Otherwise it's an amazing IEM.

My budget will be around $300 USD. This will pretty flexible though since I may be saving a bit more.

I will be buying an amp and dac according to the headphone I choose. I've been contemplating about the Schiit Asgard and Bifrost.

The bitrate of my library varies from 156kbps (being the minority), 320kbps (only a few more than the previous), and FLAC (80% of my library.)

I listen to a bit of everything, but my library most consists of electronic music now-a-days.

This will be a 100% home set-up. I don't mind if the headphone is open or closed, as long as it has the right sound.

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD650's or possibly waiting on a higher end headphone to fall within reach on the BST.

I just need thought from someone a bit more experienced than myself.

I owned the M50 alongside the MS-1i and found the AT less engaging and a touch sterile. The HD650 was my next headphone purchase and it was my go to, even with the LCD-2 next to it. I never found the HD650 slow, or veiled - just textured and enveloping, coloured but in a good way.

The Bifrost is a very good foundation for an HD650 setup IMO. Its balance and clarity is a good counterpoint to the HD650's warmth. Amp-wise, and though I've not heard it, I'd suggest looking into the Bottlehead Crack (with Speedball). Its synergy with the HD650 is well documented. I ran the HD650 from the Lyr for some time and found it excellent, but you do need to invest time and funds finding tubes that match your preferences.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #15,592 of 29,490
Quote:

I owned the M50 alongside the MS-1i and found the AT less engaging and a touch sterile. The HD650 was my next headphone purchase and it was my go to, even with the LCD-2 next to it. I never found the HD650 slow, or veiled - just textured and enveloping, coloured but in a good way.

The Bifrost is a very good foundation for an HD650 setup IMO. Its balance and clarity is a good counterpoint to the HD650's warmth. Amp-wise, and though I've not heard it, I'd suggest looking into the Bottlehead Crack (with Speedball). Its synergy with the HD650 is well documented. I ran the HD650 from the Lyr for some time and found it excellent, but you do need to invest time and funds finding tubes that match your preferences.

I remember reading up on that amp quite a while back. I'll definitely take it into consideration. I'll also have to get a bit of soldering experiencing first. Paying $100+  for something I can do myself for $20~ would be absurd....

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #15,593 of 29,490
Well i got a local dealer here that sells audio technica headphones. I wanted to know which to get and if theyd be a improvement over my SR80i's in the genre i listen to. I listen to electric/trance/dubstep. i originally only got the SR80i because the shop next door had them and i needed a quick pair of headphones as i was going to a trip and i did not want to wait for the M50's (they were out of stock + $60 dollars more). But the time has come and i want to sell my SR80i's and i need another pair.

Here is what i am currently looking : 

Audio Technica ATH-SJ55

Audio Technica ATH-M40fs

Audio Technica ATH-T400

Audio Technica ATH-WS55 

these are all relatively <$100 and which would sound the nicest w/ the genre i like listening to. also id like if it had ok gaming sound as i will use these w/ a zalman mic for CS 1.6 and CSS and hopefully CS:GO this august.

if none of those are that great i would be willing to look around for a trade i guess or something online.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #15,594 of 29,490
Hello
at the moment I'm looking for a new headphone since I don't find my superlux 668b 'fun' to listen too. I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop/k-pop/dubstep/rock/ambient. A little bit of everything to say it in short :p
What I dislike the most with the 668b is the lack of bass and the harshness of the treble (can get it right with some EQ, but still...)
and also the build quality wasnt really good (didnt except that for a 30 euro pair of cans). I did like the comfort with velour pads.
For my new pair I'm willing to spend around 200$
I want them to have more bass but not overwhelming. I mainly listen to music but I do also play games but it are games like starcraft and minecraft so I don't need to be able to pinpoint the position of my enemies. I will use them with a xonar DG

tl;dr: pair of headphones with more bass than a 668b and less harsh treble for 200$ to listen to all genres powered by a Xonar DG

My list I created from info I gathered:
Brainwavz HM5 ('too' neutral?)
Fisscher audio fa-011 (not enough midrange?)
Beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 (too much bass?)
Shure 840 (uncomfy?)
AKG K 550 (bad comfort and too expensive)
HD 598 (bass light?)

Thanks in advance :)

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #15,595 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello
at the moment I'm looking for a new headphone since I don't find my superlux 668b 'fun' to listen too. I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop/k-pop/dubstep/rock/ambient. A little bit of everything to say it in short :p
What I dislike the most with the 668b is the lack of bass and the harshness of the treble (can get it right with some EQ, but still...)
and also the build quality wasnt really good (didnt except that for a 30 euro pair of cans). I did like the comfort with velour pads.
For my new pair I'm willing to spend around 200$
I want them to have more bass but not overwhelming. I mainly listen to music but I do also play games but it are games like starcraft and minecraft so I don't need to be able to pinpoint the position of my enemies. I will use them with a xonar DG

tl;dr: pair of headphones with more bass than a 668b and less harsh treble for 200$ to listen to all genres powered by a Xonar DG

My list I created from info I gathered:
Brainwavz HM5 ('too' neutral?)
Fisscher audio fa-011 (not enough midrange?)
Beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 (too much bass?)
Shure 840 (uncomfy?)
AKG K 550 (bad comfort and too expensive)
HD 598 (bass light?)

Thanks in advance :)

It sounds like the Denon D2000s are what you are looking for.  You can get them on sale for about $215-$230 but they are on backorder at all hte cheap places right now.  Usually you can just talk down a sales rep at J&R to 215 but they are out of stock.  I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770s.  I dont think they will have too much bass but if you think so, you can always lower the eq on them.

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #15,596 of 29,490
Hi Between these three models : Senn HD 238 - 438 - 448 which one is a better choice for me since i mostly listen to jazz-jazz fusin-60-70's rock-classical and world (also,do i need an amp?) thanks (I opened a thread by mistake..how can i call a mod to remove it?)

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #15,597 of 29,490
Quote:
Well i got a local dealer here that sells audio technica headphones

Audio Technica ATH-SJ55

Audio Technica ATH-M40fs

Audio Technica ATH-T400

Audio Technica ATH-WS55 

If they are local is it possible for you to go into the store and listen to them yourself?

First hand experience is always preferable, that way you can be sure that you will like them rather than *guessing* based on our recommendations.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #15,599 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a set of headphones for my ipod. I will be using them mainly in the train so they have to be able to survive a backpack.
Currently I'm doubting between the AKG K518 ,Philips SHL9560 and the Sennheiser PX 200 II.
Music taste is very wide so no help with that although it's probably overall not very much bass.
So which of these is better or are there other widely available better alternatives around the same price.

Where do you live?  Widely available varies greatly from country to country--as can price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back