++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #15,541 of 29,490
Quote:
im deciding between the ms1 and the audio technica ad-ath700 which one would you prefer for entry level audiophile?

For all around listening the 700 is the better and safer choice.  On the other hand if you are a rock and blues guys, the MS1 is a great match.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #15,542 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

A few years ago my father bought me some Sennheiser HD 437 headphones for around 70 bucks so that he wouldnt have to listen to my music while he was sleeping. They were (to my untrained ears) very good quality headphones, and although the fit was a bit tight at first, they seem to be much more comfortable than most headphones nowadays (partially because they're like 1/3 of the weight of current-day metal-and-plastic headphones)

Last year for my birthday though, seeing as how I'm in highschool and into music clarity and quality, he bought me some Beats by Dr. Dre headphones (knowing that being in highschool, i needed something pleasing to the eye as well). Unfortunately, i've found them to be quite uncomfortable as they're the on-ear and not over-the-ear style headphones, and I find them to be much too expensive for the sound quality that you're getting.

The problem is that I now have two headphones: a comfortable, lightweight, cheap and ugly pair of Senn's, and a prohibitively expensive, uncomfortable pair of Beats, neither of which has a microphone for gaming.

What I'm looking for, and what I'm hoping you all can help me find, is a headphone that has three main things:

1) A Detachable mic. This is very important to me, because I want ONE set of headphones that I can use both for gaming, and for listening to music out in public. I know though that this could cause a problem as most gaming headphones, or headphones with mics have a usb cable that they need to power them, which would render them useless for an Ipod.

2) Very good, crisp sound quality. At least as good as the Beats or Senn's, or else i'm just not getting my money's worth

3) Some decent looks, for obvious reasons. 

I've only managed to find two potential candidates, seeing as how detachable-mic headphones are rare.

Unfortunately though, it's USB-powered, meaning that it's only for gaming.. it's the http://www.trittonusa.com/prod/pc510.asp

Te Astro A40, on the other hand, is powered by 2 3.5mm jacks only, no usb. Although there's two jacks, this is much easier to deal with than a jack and a usb cable flopping around. Also, it has the beautiful detachable mic feature.  http://gaming-headsets-review.toptenreviews.com/astro-a40-review.html

Unfortunately, I havent been able to find any reviews on the sound quality for either of them, so I have no idea how it compares to my current headphones. 

If I can sell both the Beats and Senn's, I will have a budget up to around 300 dollars for these "total package" headphones. Again though, im looking for the detachable mic, with sound quality as good as the Beats or Senn's, and being powered only by the audio cable so that i can use it for music on an ipod too. 

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #15,543 of 29,490
Quote:
1) A Detachable mic. This is very important to me, because I want ONE set of headphones that I can use both for gaming, and for listening to music out in public. I know though that this could cause a problem as most gaming headphones, or headphones with mics have a usb cable that they need to power them, which would render them useless for an Ipod.

You could always get a clip on mic like the Zalman
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339980542&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman

That way you arent limited by what headphones have a detachable mic as well as still being able to use your old headphones if you want to.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #15,544 of 29,490
hi. i recently sampled the audio technica athm50 and i thought their bass was amazing, but i felt that their mids were slightly lacking. i had heard many good things about the vmoda crossfade m80, but i wanted to know how their bass compared to that od the audio technicas. i listen to alot of rock/metal and a little bit of rap. can u please tell me which of these two headphones perform these genres better. thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #15,545 of 29,490
Quote:
You could always get a clip on mic like the Zalman
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339980542&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman

That way you arent limited by what headphones have a detachable mic as well as still being able to use your old headphones if you want to.

I read the reviews for it, and they seem to say it provides good voice quality, and I admit im tempted by something so small, but I just need to ask if something as cheap as a 9 dollar mic can really deliver good voice quality. Everyone seems to be saying it is but..

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #15,546 of 29,490
Quote:
I read the reviews for it, and they seem to say it provides good voice quality, and I admit im tempted by something so small, but I just need to ask if something as cheap as a 9 dollar mic can really deliver good voice quality. Everyone seems to be saying it is but..

I own a Zalman and am very pleased with it, I have never had someone complain about the quality of the mic and have used it for CSS and TF2.

I have a friend who also owns one and he uses it for competitive TF2 and from memory the only complaint he had was that it was a little more sensitive than he would have liked (but you should be using push-to-talk so this isnt really a problem).

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #15,547 of 29,490
Well then seeing as how you own one, do you mind telling me how thick of a cable it can clip on to? Like is it meant to clip on to a cable the thickness of an Ipod's headphones, or can it fit a kevlar and cloth-braided cord of the more expensive brands?

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #15,548 of 29,490
Quote:
hi. i recently sampled the audio technica athm50 and i thought their bass was amazing, but i felt that their mids were slightly lacking. i had heard many good things about the vmoda crossfade m80, but i wanted to know how their bass compared to that od the audio technicas. i listen to alot of rock/metal and a little bit of rap. can u please tell me which of these two headphones perform these genres better. thanks in advance.

i'm sorry if i'm being annoying... but anyone?

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #15,550 of 29,490
Quote:

I've never listened to the ATH-M50, but nearly all reviews for them say they have recessed mids with V-shaped frequency with boosted treble and bass. I own a pair of V-MODA Crossfade V-80s and the mids are right up front for you and the bass is punchy and tight. I don't think the Crossfades bass is quite as strong as the M50s, but it's more than enough for me. I slightly turn the bass up on EQ for dubstep(obvious reasons), but for most songs I leave my EQ flat. This should help you decide:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #15,551 of 29,490
Hey guys this is my first post here at head-fi but I am an audio junkie (especially headphones!) I have 3 decent sets now but want to crank it up a bit. I am looking at the shure srh840 and the fostex t50-rp. I listen to all types of music so if anyone has heard both,let me know. Also if anyone else has any recondmendations for something $130 or less ( i can get a very good deal on the shures) let me know,thanks guys..

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #15,552 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys this is my first post here at head-fi but I am an audio junkie (especially headphones!) I have 3 decent sets now but want to crank it up a bit. I am looking at the shure srh840 and the fostex t50-rp. I listen to all types of music so if anyone has heard both,let me know. Also if anyone else has any recondmendations for something $130 or less ( i can get a very good deal on the shures) let me know,thanks guys..

What 3 decent cans do you have?  How do you listen to your music?

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #15,553 of 29,490
Grado SR60i,ety mc5, and klipsch s4. I am using my android phone running neutron hd media player for mp3s and flac files. I will be getting an amp very soon after this purchase so its ok if something you guys recomend need one,thanks.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #15,554 of 29,490
Quote:
Well then seeing as how you own one, do you mind telling me how thick of a cable it can clip on to? Like is it meant to clip on to a cable the thickness of an Ipod's headphones, or can it fit a kevlar and cloth-braided cord of the more expensive brands?

It wont fit a cable as thin as an ipod headphone, it could clip on to your shirt though.
The opening can fit something 3-4mm in width, it clips on to my grado headphones quite nicely.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #15,555 of 29,490
I've been wanting to own a pair of over-ear headphones for a while, and since I'll be on a 14 hour flight in August, I thought it would be time to actually get a pair now.

Does anyone here know of any good models to get?

I'm looking for:
  1. good sound quality (I'm a semi-audiophile)
  2. comfortable wearing for long periods of time
  3. A cord that's short enough for travel (10 ft. cords aren't exactly portable)
  4. Preferably under $200

My music library usually consists of folk music, usual pop music, indie music and classical music.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back