++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #15,466 of 29,490
Hello all, i've been trying to choose between the DT880 and the AD900's, they would be used for listening to trance/house mainly and playing some games on the side.
I have a xonar essence ST card and will most likely buy a headphone amp (Little dot MK II most likely).

I've been siding to the DT880's (600ohm version) since they seem to be better overall, but which would be a more solid investment?
Someone today was suggesting getting the AD900's but i'd like to hear head-fi's opinion on the matter.

Would be much appreaciated, thanks :D!

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #15,467 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all, i've been trying to choose between the DT880 and the AD900's, they would be used for listening to trance/house mainly and playing some games on the side.
I have a xonar essence ST card and will most likely buy a headphone amp (Little dot MK II most likely).

I've been siding to the DT880's (600ohm version) since they seem to be better overall, but which would be a more solid investment?
Someone today was suggesting getting the AD900's but i'd like to hear head-fi's opinion on the matter.

Would be much appreaciated, thanks :D!

The DT 880 (+/- Pro) in either 250 or 600 Ohm version is the way to go.  They are classics and were top of the line not long ago.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #15,470 of 29,490
Hi,

I want neutral can which has very deep, very tight and very punchy bass up to being neutral which doesn't bleed into the mid-range at all, want mids which should not recessed nor the center image of the sound signature. I want treble which is smooth and extends very well aka I want smooth very extended treble. Very good soundstage, instrument separation all of this under $200.

I have 2 cans in my mind - Fischer Audio FA-003 and Beyerdynamic DT1350

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #15,471 of 29,490
Hi all, first post..

I've always used IEMs (the little earbud types that just hang straight down). I've always been satisfied with the sound, but am tired of them breaking (having one earphone cut in and out, mainly, what a pain the ass..). I'm looking to try my first set of over-ear headphones.

What I'm using them for:
  • Listening to music (Top 10: Alice in Chains, Tool, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails)
  • Playing games(mainly first person shooters, so spacial awareness is important [i.e. knowing where someone is approaching from]. I believe this is called soundstage but i don't know what I'm talking about)
  • Watching movies - all sorts, big movie buff so this will take up a decent portion of my listening time.

Features I'm looking for:
  • Build quality - the reason I'm moving to "cans" is because my other headphones keep #@$%ing breaking. Detachable wire is preferred so I can replace that if need-be. I would like these headphones to last me for life.
  • Isolation - I prefer not to broadcast my music to the world. so they need to be closed. They don't need to be ultra-soundproof, just enough to not be obnoxious.
  • Comfort - When I'm going on sitting on the computer for hours on end, I don't want a massive head-ache. I think I have an average sized head... not really sure..
  • Soundstage - see above, I don't really care about this for music so much as for playing FPS's.
  • Price - Maximum I'm willing to spend is 200, but they better be freaking awesome for that much. Would prefer in the 100-150 range.
  • Portability - I would like to be able to walk around the house and listen to music from my phone (android).
  • Looks - Kind of an afterthought, I wouldn't trade this for anything else, but it'd be nice if they didn't look ridiculous.

What I'm NOT looking for:
I'm not looking for crazy accurate, super flat, uber-analytical(?) studio monitors. Before today, I didn't know what a monitor was. After spending 6+ hours on this forum trying to pick out the right pair for myself, I've learned one thing: I don't know anything about anything. As long as these headphones are decent sound quality for a non-audiophile, I'll be happy. I'm not saying I'm cool with crap quality, but I'm probably alright with something that might offend a purist. As long as they make an enjoyable listen and don't break the bank, I'll buy em. What the hell is an amp, anyways?

TL;DR:
  1. I'm buying my first cans
  2. I want a good casual listening set for metal/grunge/alternative/rock/classic rock and first-person-shooters.
  3. Build quality is important, isolation and comfort slightly less important, portability slightly less, and looks the least important
  4. Max price = $200. Preferred range ~$150.

To whichever experts come to my aid: thank you. After spending all day on these forums, I've realized the longer I read, the more "potentials" I add to the list, so I'm going to use you guys to narrow it down for me.

Edit:
Just to give you guys an idea of what I've been looking at and the reason I haven't been able to settle on one:

Brainwavz HM5 - Buying guide recommends using an amp with these... don't even know what an amp is. Is this OK for a casual listener?
Shure SRH840 - Heard that these can get uncomfortable. Also, are they too "analytical" and "boring"?
KRK KNS 6400 - Heard that these are "boring".

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #15,472 of 29,490
Hey all, this is my first time here. i use the format of kevinM87. cause i think its a nice post.

I've always used the in ear types. (the standard iphone earbuds etc) i used to have an on ear headphone for gaming. wich i dont do alot anymore, but maybe this will change in the future. 

What I'm using them for:
Listening to music (verry various; house, techno, top 40 music, R&B, reggea, pop) at home, traveling, in the gym. 
Playing games(mainly first person shooters, But this aint important for me. 
Watching movies - all sorts, so this will take up around half of my headphone use.

Appearance = verry important. must look good. like Beats by dr dre. (sportive looking, nice colour usage) also the Sennheiser HD 598  looks nice. this way you people have an idea what i like. 

Build quality =  must be strong build, cause i travel with them. 

Isolation = I prefer not to broadcast my music to the world. so they need to be closed. They don't need to be ultra-soundproof, just enough to not be obnoxious.

Comfort =  When I'm going on sitting on the computer for hours on end, I don't want a massive head-ache. I think I have an average sized head... not really sure.

Price = Maximum I'm willing to spend is €250, but they better be freaking awesome for that much. Would prefer in the € 100-150 range.

Portability - I would like to be able to walk around the house and listen to music from my phone (iphone).

I'm not an audiophile. i just want a decent good looking headphones. So i DONT want a bad/old looking, big headphones. I live in the netherlands so i am looking for a headphone wich i can buy in the netherlands. 

Summary: 

I'm buying my first headphones so i want a good looking one. 
Build quality is important, isolation, portability and comfort slightly less important. 
Max price = €250.

To whichever experts come to my aid: thank you. After spending all day on these forums, I've realized the longer I read, the more "potentials" I add to the list, so I'm going to use you guys to narrow it down for me.

Edit:

Just to give you guys an idea of what I've been looking at and the reason I haven't been able to settle on one:

Monster Beats by dr Dre pro (white) 
Monster Beats by dr Dre studio (white)
Sennheiser HD 598

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #15,474 of 29,490
Quote:
oddball,

just to give you a heads-up, the Sennheiser HD 598's are open headphones. So if you're looking for isolation and don't want sound leakage, you're going to have to scratch that one off the list.

Ok thx kevin. didnt knew that. but it looks great though. then i think the Beats by dr Dre studio are the option for me now. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #15,475 of 29,490
Quote:

Hey all, this is my first time here. i use the format of kevinM87. cause i think its a nice post.

I've always used the in ear types. (the standard iphone earbuds etc) i used to have an on ear headphone for gaming. wich i dont do alot anymore, but maybe this will change in the future. 

What I'm using them for:
Listening to music (verry various; house, techno, top 40 music, R&B, reggea, pop) at home, traveling, in the gym. 
Playing games(mainly first person shooters, But this aint important for me. 
Watching movies - all sorts, so this will take up around half of my headphone use.

Appearance = verry important. must look good. like Beats by dr dre. (sportive looking, nice colour usage) also the Sennheiser HD 598  looks nice. this way you people have an idea what i like. 

Build quality =  must be strong build, cause i travel with them. 

Isolation = I prefer not to broadcast my music to the world. so they need to be closed. They don't need to be ultra-soundproof, just enough to not be obnoxious.

Comfort =  When I'm going on sitting on the computer for hours on end, I don't want a massive head-ache. I think I have an average sized head... not really sure.

Price = Maximum I'm willing to spend is €250, but they better be freaking awesome for that much. Would prefer in the € 100-150 range.

Portability - I would like to be able to walk around the house and listen to music from my phone (iphone).

I'm not an audiophile. i just want a decent good looking headphones. So i DONT want a bad/old looking, big headphones. I live in the netherlands so i am looking for a headphone wich i can buy in the netherlands. 

Summary: 

I'm buying my first headphones so i want a good looking one. 
Build quality is important, isolation, portability and comfort slightly less important. 
Max price = €250.

Edit:  

Monster Beats by dr Dre pro (white) 
Monster Beats by dr Dre studio (white)
Sennheiser HD 598

Try the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators.  They're pretty stylish, plus both Jude (Head-fi) and Tyll (Innerfidelity) have given them good reviews, which is more than anyone can say about Beats. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #15,476 of 29,490
Hi, I want neutral can which has very deep, very tight and very punchy bass up to being neutral which doesn't bleed into the mid-range at all, want mids which should not recessed nor the center image of the sound signature. I want treble which is smooth and extends very well aka I want smooth very extended treble. Very good soundstage, instrument separation all of this under $200. I have 2 cans in my mind - Fischer Audio FA-003 and Beyerdynamic DT1350

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #15,477 of 29,490
Beyerdynamic DT250 250 Ohm is what you need. Very flat, lots of detail and the bass is very neutral without being rolled off. 
Quote:
Not a bass head. Need it to be closed, accurate, and balanced across frequencies. Except bass, as I doubt I would be mad about a lack of bass. Most headphones I have heard all have enough for me. Also a bass heavy set would be bad for spoken voice which makes up a decent amount of my listening. I was looking at the Shure SRH440, denon ah-d1100 etc so price is flexible but lower $$$ with better value is better obviously. Don't see myself spending over 250 though so suggestions above that price might not be so helpful. Currently own Ultimate Ears 700 and an old worn out pair of Senn 201's that will be replaced with this new set. I REALLY hate sibilance on sss sounds. Pet Peeve.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #15,478 of 29,490
.. On the one hand I feel like this is a joke - but on the other, I feel like you have hidden wisdom. 

Is there anyone that can back this up...?

I appologize. The beats pro is not a good value at all, that was a spur of the moment thing. Two viable options for you would be the new sennheiser amperior for portable use or the ultrasone pro 900 for st home.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #15,479 of 29,490
I'm looking for:

1. closed headphones (no IEMs, they cause a mild sense of pressure in my head after a while)
  2. decent amount of isolation
  3. comfortable enough to wear for the entire work day (with a few breaks here and there)
  4. can be driven either without an amp or with an entry level amp like my Portaphile V2
  5. acceptable for general music listening (most genres)
  6. < $350 - $400

If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks!

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #15,480 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, first post..

I've always used IEMs (the little earbud types that just hang straight down). I've always been satisfied with the sound, but am tired of them breaking (having one earphone cut in and out, mainly, what a pain the ass..). I'm looking to try my first set of over-ear headphones.

What I'm using them for:
  • Listening to music (Top 10: Alice in Chains, Tool, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails)
  • Playing games(mainly first person shooters, so spacial awareness is important [i.e. knowing where someone is approaching from]. I believe this is called soundstage but i don't know what I'm talking about)
  • Watching movies - all sorts, big movie buff so this will take up a decent portion of my listening time.

• Build quality - the reason I'm moving to "cans" is because my other headphones keep #@$%ing breaking. Detachable wire is preferred so I can replace that if need-be. I would like these headphones to last me for life.
  • Isolation - I prefer not to broadcast my music to the world. so they need to be closed. They don't need to be ultra-soundproof, just enough to not be obnoxious.
  • Comfort - When I'm going on sitting on the computer for hours on end, I don't want a massive head-ache. I think I have an average sized head... not really sure..
  • Soundstage - see above, I don't really care about this for music so much as for playing FPS's.
  • Price - Maximum I'm willing to spend is 200, but they better be freaking awesome for that much. Would prefer in the 100-150 range.
  • Portability - I would like to be able to walk around the house and listen to music from my phone (android).
  • Looks - Kind of an afterthought, I wouldn't trade this for anything else, but it'd be nice if they didn't look ridiculous.

I'm not looking for crazy accurate, super flat, uber-analytical(?) studio monitors. Before today, I didn't know what a monitor was. After spending 6+ hours on this forum trying to pick out the right pair for myself, I've learned one thing: I don't know anything about anything. As long as these headphones are decent sound quality for a non-audiophile, I'll be happy. I'm not saying I'm cool with crap quality, but I'm probably alright with something that might offend a purist. As long as they make an enjoyable listen and don't break the bank, I'll buy em. What the hell is an amp, anyways?

TL;DR:
  1. I'm buying my first cans
  2. I want a good casual listening set for metal/grunge/alternative/rock/classic rock and first-person-shooters.
  3. Build quality is important, isolation and comfort slightly less important, portability slightly less, and looks the least important
  4. Max price = $200. Preferred range ~$150.

Edit:

Brainwavz HM5 - Buying guide recommends using an amp with these... don't even know what an amp is. Is this OK for a casual listener?
Shure SRH840 - Heard that these can get uncomfortable. Also, are they too "analytical" and "boring"?
KRK KNS 6400 - Heard that these are "boring".

No offense to the OP--but color me amazed!  Recently we have seen more than a couple of folks who are looking for $150 closed cans that are great for gaming, movies, mutiple kinds of music; have a great sound stage; fantastic frequency response; even better sound; are very durable; are portable; don't need an amp; and have detachable cables. [or something very similar] They don't exist.  If you ever find them (other than on sale for 30 seconds) please tell all of us.  We want to buy them too!

What I can suggest is that you read this thread and tell us what might best meet your needs (I doubt it will be $150 or even $200):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits

Next--it's helpful that you told us what you don't like, but please give us more of an idea of what sound signature you want.  You may  have to listen to a few cans or at least read some reviews to accomplish this.  The fact is we can't help very much unless we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back