++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #15,002 of 29,490
Quote:
 Do you know if a fiio e7 would be enough for the HD600? Something with more juice would be necessary?

I'm a bit interested in the HD600 myself, I would almost certanly be using them at home with my Xonar STX, although I don't have a dedicated desktop amp I belive that the xonar can handle the HD600 for now.

Still, I would like to know if I can carry them for my grampa's house for example, but I only have the fiio e7 as portable amp.

STX is quite good for HD600. It works ok with HD650 as well. Enough volume, and doesn't feel underpowered, but it lacks the clarity, separation and space of dedicated amps. Compared to my Bellari HA540, ST headphone amp sounds much more congested and sound stage seems a bit smaller.
E7 would probably give you enough loudness, but that's about it, it would not power them well and it would not sound as good as a better DAC + amp or STX.

May 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #15,003 of 29,490
Hello!
I need advice for a second set of headphones- I'd like to improve the sound quality.
Current setup- Asgard, Bifrost, Senn 598, using optical out and Audirvana, Deadbeef, and JRiver. My music is all lossless AIFF and FLAC and have dabbled with 24/192 downloads from channelclassics.com. I listen to classical, dub, ambient.
I am looking at the HE-400 and AH-D5000- (others?)- that's the price point, more or less.
Thanks

May 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #15,004 of 29,490
Looking for deep head wobbling bass heavy headphones I have seen that these are supported by a lot of people and fit my budget,, I also listen to dubstep ,electronic , rap/rock.

M audio q40
Shure 750
Shure 840
Denon hp1000
House of marley destiny

Ps-I can only get one of these because I'm getting them from my reward points so which has the best low end sound.

Thanks in advance!

May 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #15,005 of 29,490
Hi folks! Need some advice. Or help. Or suggestions. Etc. 

I got a Sansa Clip+ recently, and it's largely made my Cowon D3 obsolete. I initially had the stock in-ears. And they were "ok" 'cause, I never stepped it up. Then I got the Razer Orca's. They were pretty darn great. The bass actually "kicked", without being too muddy or muffling things out. Towards the highs there, they did become too "shrill" (is that the right word? >.<). Anyway, I soon realized that they aren't durable at all. They broke in two months. So now I want a good pair. 

I need them to be closed-back (I hate noise leakage, the Orca's leaked quite a bit). I'll be using my Clip+ most of the time, and on an average day the longest I'll go on a stretch listening to music is about 1 to 2 hours. So they need to be comfy. As for the type of music I listen to: there's dubstep, there's melodic death metal, there's Norah Jones, there's Sara Bareilles, there's Slipknot, there's Enya. So I can't really place it. It should be balanced, I guess. 

I was looking at the AKG HD 272's, but apparently they lack bass. Now I'm not looking for bass monsters. But I do need to feel that "kick". Not bass-y. Just punchy. Does that make sense? If I do get the HD 272's, and I get an amp (maybe a FiiO E5 or something?) will that be enough? I'm looking at $150 - $250 price range (for now at least, start small right?)

Thanks guys! 

May 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #15,006 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi folks! Need some advice. Or help. Or suggestions. Etc. 

I got a Sansa Clip+ recently, and it's largely made my Cowon D3 obsolete. I initially had the stock in-ears. And they were "ok" 'cause, I never stepped it up. Then I got the Razer Orca's. They were pretty darn great. The bass actually "kicked", without being too muddy or muffling things out. Towards the highs there, they did become too "shrill" (is that the right word? >.<). Anyway, I soon realized that they aren't durable at all. They broke in two months. So now I want a good pair. 

I need them to be closed-back (I hate noise leakage, the Orca's leaked quite a bit). I'll be using my Clip+ most of the time, and on an average day the longest I'll go on a stretch listening to music is about 1 to 2 hours. So they need to be comfy. As for the type of music I listen to: there's dubstep, there's melodic death metal, there's Norah Jones, there's Sara Bareilles, there's Slipknot, there's Enya. So I can't really place it. It should be balanced, I guess. 

I was looking at the AKG HD 272's, but apparently they lack bass. Now I'm not looking for bass monsters. But I do need to feel that "kick". Not bass-y. Just punchy. Does that make sense? If I do get the HD 272's, and I get an amp (maybe a FiiO E5 or something?) will that be enough? I'm looking at $150 - $250 price range (for now at least, start small right?)

Thanks guys! 

These should be to your liking. In order from most bass to least:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii
V-Moda M-80

Out of the three, the punchiest(one with most "kick") is the HD-25-1 ii.

May 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #15,008 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm looking to get some decent headphones after basically using crap for too long. I'm going to be mainly using them from my PC without an amp or sound card, but occasionally off of my iPod touch as well (although the PC use is much more important than the iPod use). I'll largely be listening to metal and rock with them, and I have about £200 spare (I'm in the UK). I'm looking at the AKG K550 at the moment because of the low impedance as I won't be using an amp until I have enough money to get myself one, but I'm not at all sure if they would be the best for me because I'm a newbie to the world of decent gear.
Any advice?

May 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #15,009 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I'm looking to get some decent headphones after basically using crap for too long. I'm going to be mainly using them from my PC without an amp or sound card, but occasionally off of my iPod touch as well (although the PC use is much more important than the iPod use). I'll largely be listening to metal and rock with them, and I have about £200 spare (I'm in the UK). I'm looking at the AKG K550 at the moment because of the low impedance as I won't be using an amp until I have enough money to get myself one, but I'm not at all sure if they would be the best for me because I'm a newbie to the world of decent gear.
Any advice?

Sennheiser hd 25 adidas verision or the sennheiser amperior. They're the best portable headphones you can get for rock music.

May 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #15,010 of 29,490
Please could you elaborate on the "portable" point? I'm thinking you mean because of the iPod usage, but I don't mind too much if it sounds better on my PC and worse on my iPod because I'll spend much more time listening at my PC.
I apologise if I've misunderstood you.

May 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #15,011 of 29,490
Quote:
Please could you elaborate on the "portable" point? I'm thinking you mean because of the iPod usage, but I don't mind too much if it sounds better on my PC and worse on my iPod because I'll spend much more time listening at my PC.
I apologise if I've misunderstood you.

Oh, ok, sorry for the missunderstanding. If you can deal with the headphone being open, then I reccomend grados. Nonething beats a grado for rock and metal music, and I think most people here will agree. If they have to be closed I stand by my reccomendation with the hd25/amperior, or you could check out the ultrasone hfi 780.

May 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #15,012 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh, ok, sorry for the missunderstanding. If you can deal with the headphone being open, then I reccomend grados. Nonething beats a grado for rock and metal music, and I think most people here will agree. If they have to be closed I stand by my reccomendation with the hd25/amperior, or you could check out the ultrasone hfi 780.

If the Grados are significantly better, then I definitely would be able to deal with it being open. Which model of Grado would you suggest?

May 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #15,014 of 29,490
Looking to finally step to buy a decent set of headphones (or rather, asking for them for father's day), and wanted to give the wife a more concrete recommendation so that I don't end up with, say, a pair of beats or Bose.

Having not previously spent more than $40 on headphones, I started trying to do some research and I'm now more confused than when I started. Generally, I'm probably looking $200 or less. Because I'll be using these traveling, reasonable size and comes with a good case are a big plus. I'll be using them with a lot of potential sources: iPhone, iPad, 3DS/other handhelds, laptop, and possibly even with the PC or consoles at home in a pinch. So it needs to be flexible between music, movies, and games. Music wise, I lean rock, hard rock, metal, and some electronic generally, but occasionally fall as far from that as classical. So, what I'm really looking for is versatility and portability. I think I'm leaning on ear, but could go over the ear or IEM. Because of the travel aspect, long term comfort is important, which is why I thought on ear was the best middle ground..I have a couple overseas flights coming up later in the year, so I mean potentially 10 hours plus. My head isn't huge, so some of the "too small for my head" issues shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts? I think I'm leaning vmoda m-80, but have looked at everything from the sennheiser Hd25-ii to the Ath-m50 to the vmoda vibrato to the klipsch s40. I even checked out the monoprice dj set that people seem to be overly mpressed with for the price (love monoprice for cable, but I'm skeptical that a $20 pair of headphones can really be that great).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back