++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #14,974 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I was looking for a good pair of headphones under 200$. I've been considering the A-T ath-m50 and the Sennheiser HD555, of those two, which is better, or is there any pairs that I am missing?

There are a great deal of excellent options in that (US street) price range in addition the "V" shaped EQ neo-classic M50 and the older model Senn.

What might be best for you depends on the format of your music, the stuff attached to your cans (including whether or not its amped), the type of music/sound you enjoy, whether you want open, closed or either type of can, the country where you live, and what sound signature you prefer. 

If you haven't done so already, take a a look at the buying guides and other articles linked in the very first post of this thread.

May 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #14,975 of 29,490
Quote:

:O That's the second price drop this week. So are they worth it?

If you like a neutral-ish closed can that is very portable and plays at least decently unamped with most devices, then this is a good can for you.  It also comes with goodies like a carry bag, replacement ear pads and a removable cord.  Not long ago it went for just south of $200.

May 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #14,976 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

Do you have any recommendation for headphone that is best for movie?
That's said, it has to be:
1. No tiring sound for 2 hours or so movie length
2. Comfortable (lightweight included), for 2 hours straight use
3. Good low end response and detail, esp. for those explosions, don't be mistaken with boomy.

So far I have tried, LCD-2 is the best and perfect! but a bit too heavy to meet requirement #2.
The rest:
1. HD650, somehow tiring treble, or sound.
2. IE8, not as detail as HD650, but soundstage is not as relax and open as HD650 and LCD-2
3. UM3X, vocal is very clear, but not so good in bass response, soundstage is also not as open as HD650 and LCD-2.
4. SE530, comment almost like UM3X (for movie) and again, soundstage 'issue'
5. Grado SR-60, nice, detail and open soundstage, but the brightness is tiring for use about 15-20 mins.
6. Koss PortaPro, nice open sound, good vocal weight tonality, but comfortable (pressing my ear), vocal not so clear.

So far, for hifi, I'm content, no complain, but somehow, movie kind of having different requirement.

When I mention open soundstage, it really helps for movie, especially to get the effect of layering, like when capturing background insect sound in the jungle, open soundstage really give me impression of depth.

Please bear in mind, when listening to movie at home, I don't bother using DAC, or external amping, I just connect directly to TV.  I heard some hiss, but it's just too troublesome to setup full fledge stereo setup for movie, movie audio quality is not top notch anyway.

I know I'm asking too much, just in case, head-fi community has any recommendation or suggestion, that will be great.

Thanks guys!

You'd be well advised to check out whatever can you decide to get on your TV before buying.  But that said; I'd take a listen to the Senn HD 558 (open), Sony MDR 7506 or 7510 (closed), Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (open), Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm version (closed) and KRK KNS-6400.

May 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #14,977 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, (and girls)

Also, how's the HD558 for gaming?

I live in Malaysia BTW.

Thanks! :D
XHale

They are excellent.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added

May 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #14,980 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for recommendations for a friend of mine. He's a designer so he's picky about looks. His main requirements though are comfort, open with a DJ swivel, and sub $100. He's willing to stretch a little on the budget if he can find something with all those that also looks nice. sound quality isn't critical to him since it'll be used at work for internet videos and such, so low quality source. He'd like something without an amp. I started him off looking at the Ultrasone 15G, didn't like it not having a swivel and he said it looked cheap, which I agree with him there. So any recommendations for him?

Edit - Should mention that I did recommend he look at the entry level grados/alessandro MS1, but just wanted to see if there are more I could recommend for him.

If he's a designer maybe he would want Aerial7 Chopper2 or Aerial7 Tank.
The specs look better than Ultrasone 15G and the price is almost the same.

He may take a look at Marshall, that look comfortable.

I'm not the best person for advice but for the look and/or comfort those are the ones that looked better.

May 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #14,981 of 29,490
Quote:

I only have the similar 668B, so can only recommend you read this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/superlux-hd-668b-and-hd-681-headphones

Do you agree with Tyll about the harsh treble of the Superlux cans? I don't mind a bit of brightness as long as my ears don't suffer (i.e. isn't fatiguing).

I don't have a good equalizer anywhere near me, which is why I'm hesitant in buying the HD 681s. (HD 681Fs, to be exact)

May 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #14,982 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you agree with Tyll about the harsh treble of the Superlux cans? I don't mind a bit of brightness as long as my ears don't suffer (i.e. isn't fatiguing).

I don't have a good equalizer anywhere near me, which is why I'm hesitant in buying the HD 681s. (HD 681Fs, to be exact)

To me they (668B) are bright but not harsh.  In the end it's a matter of opinion and preference.  If you have a treble control--that would give you the flexibility to tone down the highs, should you decide to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back