++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #14,988 of 29,490
Alright guys, wasn't sure if I should've posted this in Summit-Fi or here, but here it goes, I'm in need for the best closed headphones money can buy that has suberb bass response, no recessed mids, sharp-end highs but not overly bright. This is only for electronic/techno music listening and mixing (on the enjoyable side). Please do not recommend me headphones that you have not heard, no Ultrasone Edition 8's (I've listened to these and they are not good) and no fancy extremely expensive closed end's like Final Audio Muramasa's etc.

I'm selling off most my current gear but keeping my main headphones puurin's pair of HD800 (sold my mine S/N 110**), LCD2 rev.1 internally Piccolino'd, CD950's modded and few other cheaper modded headphones for abuse. Since I've pretty much set my goal of moving onwards to proper speakers, I would like to try a very good closed can for EDM before I do so.

Any reference to review's etc would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

May 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #14,989 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright guys, wasn't sure if I should've posted this in Summit-Fi or here, but here it goes, I'm in need for the best closed headphones money can buy that has suberb bass response, no recessed mids, sharp-end highs but not overly bright. This is only for electronic/techno music listening and mixing (on the enjoyable side). Please do not recommend me headphones that you have not heard, no Ultrasone Edition 8's (I've listened to these and they are not good) and no fancy extremely expensive closed end's like Final Audio Muramasa's etc.

I'm selling off most my current gear but keeping my main headphones puurin's pair of HD800 (sold my mine S/N 110**), LCD2 rev.1 internally Piccolino'd, CD950's modded and few other cheaper modded headphones for abuse. Since I've pretty much set my goal of moving onwards to proper speakers, I would like to try a very good closed can for EDM before I do so.

Any reference to review's etc would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

Source? Budget?

May 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #14,990 of 29,490
Quote:
Source? Budget?

It will be crossfed into either a Pioneer mixer or just straight to my laptop. I have neutral reference monitor headphones but I need one to just enjoy regular electronic music and some I've produced my own.

With amplification and dac's I'am unsure yet, as I have to play around with it first to determine how it sounds and pair's with individual amps and dac's I have. But the DAC or amp will be connected to a NAD 521bee.

Budget is $1.5k. (Which is why I still think this below's in the Summit-Fi section).

May 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #14,991 of 29,490
Quote:

I got my ATH-M50's for 129 ish after a price match at guitar center! 

That makes my point.  Not too long ago the Shure SRH 840 would cost you $70 to $100 more than the  AT M50.  Now they can be had at almost exactly the same amount of coin.

May 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #14,992 of 29,490
Quote:
It will be crossfed into either a Pioneer mixer or just straight to my laptop. I have neutral reference monitor headphones but I need one to just enjoy regular electronic music and some I've produced my own.

With amplification and dac's I'am unsure yet, as I have to play around with it first to determine how it sounds and pair's with individual amps and dac's I have. But the DAC or amp will be connected to a NAD 521bee.

Budget is $1.5k. (Which is why I still think this below's in the Summit-Fi section).

Definitely a question for Summit-Fi.

May 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #14,993 of 29,490
Hello all. I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and I'm really confused since I don't know a whole lot about them but I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 600 & HD 650. I currently have a pair of Beats Studios (I know, I know...). I listen to mainly EDM and pop-ish music. I enjoy quite a bit of bass in my music. Do either of these seem like a good choice? I had heard they might not be very "bassy" but would an equalizer help that at all? Also is there a substantial difference between the two? 

I also know that I'm probably going to need an amp. I read about a portable AAA powered amp called the Headroom Total Bithead. There is also a Total Airhead as well. I'm just so confused with everything and would appreciate some suggestions! :)

May 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #14,994 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all. I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and I'm really confused since I don't know a whole lot about them but I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 600 & HD 650. I currently have a pair of Beats Studios (I know, I know...). I listen to mainly EDM and pop-ish music. I enjoy quite a bit of bass in my music. Do either of these seem like a good choice? I had heard they might not be very "bassy" but would an equalizer help that at all? Also is there a substantial difference between the two? 

I also know that I'm probably going to need an amp. I read about a portable AAA powered amp called the Headroom Total Bithead. There is also a Total Airhead as well. I'm just so confused with everything and would appreciate some suggestions! :)

Both of these cans are hungry for power and will need an amp.  The 600 is a very neutral can and is the faster of the two.  The 650 will give you a bit more bass.  They are both classic and good cans (although not necessarily the best buys at current US MAP prices) if you want something in the neutral vein.  If you want something bass heavy, look elsewhere.

May 27, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #14,996 of 29,490
Quote:
 Both of these cans are hungry for power and will need an amp.  The 600 is a very neutral can and is the faster of the two.  The 650 will give you a bit more bass.  They are both classic and good cans (although not necessarily the best buys at current US MAP prices) if you want something in the neutral vein.  If you want something bass heavy, look elsewhere.

Thank you for your feedback. Is there a specific brand that might be suited better for me possibly? I'm open to doing my own research but I just don't know where to begin.

May 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #14,997 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you for your feedback. Is there a specific brand that might be suited better for me possibly? I'm open to doing my own research but I just don't know where to begin.

I don't know your genres well.  However, I can suggest that you read the buying guides that are linked in the first post of this thread.  If after check them out you can then describe the sound signature that you prefer and/or mention some cans that you think might meet your needs, I might be able to help a bit more.

May 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #14,998 of 29,490
Quote:
You could try out the audio technica ad900 or ad700.

Quote:

You'd be well advised to check out whatever can you decide to get on your TV before buying.  But that said; I'd take a listen to the Senn HD 558 (open), Sony MDR 7506 or 7510 (closed), Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (open), Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm version (closed) and KRK KNS-6400.

Both of you suggested AD700.  From memory, most AT models are towards bright with pronounce treble, but I haven't tried this AD700.
I guess this model is not fatiguing?  May I know which particular characteristic do you think is suitable for movie?

May 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #14,999 of 29,490
Quote:

Both of you suggested AD700.  From memory, most AT models are towards bright with pronounce treble, but I haven't tried this AD700.
I guess this model is not fatiguing?  May I know which particular characteristic do you think is suitable for movie?

They're not bright, they're just mid and high focused, with rolled off bass, especially the AD700. They're pretty flat apart from bass.

May 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #15,000 of 29,490
Quote:

Do you know if a fiio e7 would be enough for the HD600? Something with more juice would be necessary?

I'm a bit interested in the HD600 myself, I would almost certanly be using them at home with my Xonar STX, although I don't have a dedicated desktop amp I belive that the xonar can handle the HD600 for now.

Still, I would like to know if I can carry them for my grampa's house for example, but I only have the fiio e7 as portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back