++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #14,956 of 29,490
Quote:

don't worry, I understand. So basically you are recommending the ZX700s? This will be good as I think I have a local Sony store so I should be able to have a touchy feely and if the price is good, buy it from there, I am not a fan of buying of the internet for things like this. Also, how do you compare the ZX700s with the M50s?

Oh, I think they would be worth investigating, but as to comparing them to the M50, I honestly don't know. Hopefully things will become clear once you audition the 700s.

May 26, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #14,957 of 29,490
Quote:

don't worry, I understand. So basically you are recommending the ZX700s? This will be good as I think I have a local Sony store so I should be able to have a touchy feely and if the price is good, buy it from there, I am not a fan of buying of the internet for things like this. Also, how do you compare the ZX700s with the M50s?

The 700 is mid centric, while the M50 has a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

May 26, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #14,959 of 29,490
Hey guys, (and girls)

I've been looking and researching for some gaming headphones.

I looked at the AD700 but I wanted more immersion (willing to sacrifice some sound stage for bass) so I looked at the SR850.

I saw Malveaux (who actually was the one who made me think twice about buy a AD700) say that Fischer Audio FA-011 was good.

So basically my question is how much better is the FA-011 than the SR850.
I mainly game, some FPS and Assassin's Creed etc. and for music I only listen to classical (yeah, I'm weird).
I would say that I game 80% and listen to music 20%.

I can get the SR850's for about $31 (from Ebay) and the FA-011's for $175 (from Noisy Motel).
I will be using the Asus Xonar DG.

Also, how's the HD558 for gaming?

I live in Malaysia BTW.

Thanks! :D
XHale

May 26, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #14,960 of 29,490
Quote:
Will I notice a considerable difference between Shure SRH840's and my current Razer Carcharias'? Would it be worth the $160 investment? Mostly be using 192+ kbps files on my computer with no amp. I mostly listen to Folk/Instrumentals.

SRH840s are currently on Amazon for $130.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DP8IEK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WVSYY7QZ39DEFPSJAAW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

May 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #14,965 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Do you have any recommendation for headphone that is best for movie?
That's said, it has to be:
1. No tiring sound for 2 hours or so movie length
2. Comfortable (lightweight included), for 2 hours straight use
3. Good low end response and detail, esp. for those explosions, don't be mistaken with boomy.

So far I have tried, LCD-2 is the best and perfect! but a bit too heavy to meet requirement #2.
The rest:
1. HD650, somehow tiring treble, or sound.
2. IE8, not as detail as HD650, but soundstage is not as relax and open as HD650 and LCD-2
3. UM3X, vocal is very clear, but not so good in bass response, soundstage is also not as open as HD650 and LCD-2.
4. SE530, comment almost like UM3X (for movie) and again, soundstage 'issue'
5. Grado SR-60, nice, detail and open soundstage, but the brightness is tiring for use about 15-20 mins.
6. Koss PortaPro, nice open sound, good vocal weight tonality, but comfortable (pressing my ear), vocal not so clear.

So far, for hifi, I'm content, no complain, but somehow, movie kind of having different requirement.

When I mention open soundstage, it really helps for movie, especially to get the effect of layering, like when capturing background insect sound in the jungle, open soundstage really give me impression of depth.

Please bear in mind, when listening to movie at home, I don't bother using DAC, or external amping, I just connect directly to TV.  I heard some hiss, but it's just too troublesome to setup full fledge stereo setup for movie, movie audio quality is not top notch anyway.

I know I'm asking too much, just in case, head-fi community has any recommendation or suggestion, that will be great.

Thanks guys!

May 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #14,966 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

Do you have any recommendation for headphone that is best for movie?
That's said, it has to be:
1. No tiring sound for 2 hours or so movie length
2. Comfortable (lightweight included), for 2 hours straight use
3. Good low end response and detail, esp. for those explosions, don't be mistaken with boomy.

So far I have tried, LCD-2 is the best and perfect! but a bit too heavy to meet requirement #2.
The rest:
1. HD650, somehow tiring treble, or sound.
2. IE8, not as detail as HD650, but soundstage is not as relax and open as HD650 and LCD-2
3. UM3X, vocal is very clear, but not so good in bass response, soundstage is also not as open as HD650 and LCD-2.
4. SE530, comment almost like UM3X (for movie) and again, soundstage 'issue'
5. Grado SR-60, nice, detail and open soundstage, but the brightness is tiring for use about 15-20 mins.
6. Koss PortaPro, nice open sound, good vocal weight tonality, but comfortable (pressing my ear), vocal not so clear.

So far, for hifi, I'm content, no complain, but somehow, movie kind of having different requirement.

When I mention open soundstage, it really helps for movie, especially to get the effect of layering, like when capturing background insect sound in the jungle, open soundstage really give me impression of depth.

Please bear in mind, when listening to movie at home, I don't bother using DAC, or external amping, I just connect directly to TV.  I heard some hiss, but it's just too troublesome to setup full fledge stereo setup for movie, movie audio quality is not top notch anyway.

I know I'm asking too much, just in case, head-fi community has any recommendation or suggestion, that will be great.

Thanks guys!

You could try out the audio technica ad900 or ad700.

May 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #14,968 of 29,490
Looking for recommendations for a friend of mine. He's a designer so he's picky about looks. His main requirements though are comfort, open with a DJ swivel, and sub $100. He's willing to stretch a little on the budget if he can find something with all those that also looks nice. sound quality isn't critical to him since it'll be used at work for internet videos and such, so low quality source. He'd like something without an amp. I started him off looking at the Ultrasone 15G, didn't like it not having a swivel and he said it looked cheap, which I agree with him there. So any recommendations for him?

Edit - Should mention that I did recommend he look at the entry level grados/alessandro MS1, but just wanted to see if there are more I could recommend for him.

May 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #14,969 of 29,490
:O That's the second price drop this week. So are they worth it?

No clue. Never heard them. I just spotted that deal and wanted to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back