++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #14,866 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone? I'm still quite confused on a good set of phones for me. I have been looking for day's, all I have done is given myself a harder time deciding. Still thinking about the AKG K-240S.

Personally, I would say if you can tolerate on ear sets, try some V-moda M80's. I've found mine to be great all-rounders, moreso than my K240MKII's. 

Also, you won't need a soundcard for them right off. Save up a little more, and get something like an E10, or an E10/O2 combo. I'm actually using my C421 as a desktop amp for them as well as a portable, if that's what you might possibly want too.

May 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #14,867 of 29,490
Quote:
Personally, I would say if you can tolerate on ear sets, try some V-moda M80's. I've found mine to be great all-rounders, moreso than my K240MKII's. 

Also, you won't need a soundcard for them right off. Save up a little more, and get something like an E10, or an E10/O2 combo. I'm actually using my C421 as a desktop amp for them as well as a portable, if that's what you might possibly want too.

I am looking for a good pair of portable headphones that I can take around with me and have great sound quality. I am sick of the iphone ear buds as they break all the time and the in ear headphones hurt my ears although I've never had a decent pair, I would still prefer on ears.

I was looking at the V-Moda M80's. How is the sound? Do you think my FiiO E17 is sufficient to drive them?

It would be helpful if you could describe the sound for me. My only reference are the ATH M50's and HD600 so if you could briefly describe the sound compared to those that would be really helpful.

Thanks Guys.

May 22, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #14,868 of 29,490
So I'm looking to buy myself another new set of headphones after my Denon 1100's exploded when I was wearing them and Amazon gave me a full refund as apparently this is a common occurrence 

really I'm looking for a good all rounder but I expect that is hard to find so the most important aspect in buying some is for music, closely followed by gaming then not so importantly TV and movies etc

my budget firstly is around £70 which is about $110 for Americans which I know isn't much but it's all I have atm :frowning2:, after researching though it looks like its nearly a 1:1 ratio price wise :frowning2:, my music tastes are fairly wide, mostly listen to Metal (nearly every sub genre but a lot of power metal and thrash quite a bit  death and black but listen to many others fairly often too :p), I also listen to loads and loads of rock , a lot of 80's glam rock, hair metal, a lot of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple that kind of earlier stuff as well as Meat Loaf and pop rock and lots of hard rock and alternative and grunge , basically a wide taste in rock :p, those two are probs what I mainly listen to but I still listen to a lot of other music, including ska, reggae, punk, pop music, a tiny bit of rap and other music, and nearly no classical though I listen to a lot of symphonic metal so  a set that could handle it would be quite nice, I prefer to have more bass then not enough I like that kind of punchy thumpy bass that you can actually feel during a bass guitar or a drum solo so yeah quite a lot of bass I guess :p, I do like a detailed sound though for power metal and rock so a bass that doesn't smear all over everything is quite important, listening to power metal when it is just muddy isn't nice, I like a somewhat true to source sound but really prefer more a sound then is fun/nice and good to listen to as well

I found the Denons were a bit bloated bass wise, it sounded good with some music but others had bass which it really didn't need and sounded muddy plus the vocals were quite recessed which was quite annoying 

I will also use them quite a lot for gaming and tv/movies and everything else so anything that could do a somewhat decent job with those would be good.

haha sorry this is beginning to sound like I'm trying to buy a set that is perfect for everything :p

anything else I should mention/you need?

thanks for any advice anyone :) 

May 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #14,870 of 29,490
I am looking for a good pair of portable headphones that I can take around with me and have great sound quality. I am sick of the iphone ear buds as they break all the time and the in ear headphones hurt my ears although I've never had a decent pair, I would still prefer on ears.

I was looking at the V-Moda M80's. How is the sound? Do you think my FiiO E17 is sufficient to drive them?

It would be helpful if you could describe the sound for me. My only reference are the ATH M50's and HD600 so if you could briefly describe the sound compared to those that would be really helpful.

Thanks Guys.

The m80s are very vaguely like the hd600s, but more upfront with a nicer baddy punch. They can be driven by your e17 no problems too :)

May 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #14,871 of 29,490
Quote:

Yes, I try to do my research on the forum. Ok thanks, I'll cross off the akg k240 then. I noticed you had a pic of the dt880 pros in your profile. Have you tried them and how were they for you? Like I said I'm looking at the 880/600ohm premiums and the 990 pros.

Thanks

The 880 Pro is an excellent neutral oriented can.  It's earcups are slightly smaller than the 990 & 770.

May 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #14,872 of 29,490
Quote:
My HD595's broke.  They lasted me many years, so I got my money out of them.

What I loved about them:

Comfortable
Extremely bright mids/highs (to my ears)
Open and crisp sound. (hope this makes sense?)

What I didn't like:

Lack of bass.  I don't like a ton of bass.  These headphones just seem to completely lack bass altogether.
Super long cable, but I can live with it if my next pair happens to be Sennheiser.

Current situation:

I bought a temporary pair of ATH-M50's to use until I buy a new setup.  For the price, they've been a great fill-in.  This pair of headphones really made me realize how much I missed having bass in my music/games.  The mids are highs seem really dull to me though on these headphones compared to my HD595's.  I feel suffocated when it comes to the mids/highs on the ATH-M50's, but maybe that's because the 595's are open and the M50's are closed? (I'm not sure that even matters or makes sense?)

I prefer to have bright highs/mids.  I also want bass, but if they sound like the dre beats, then count me out.  I want the bass to be accurate.  Not overpowering/drowning.  The hd595's just have no bass and for gaming (think battlefield 3), I would like better bass.  The deep bass of distant explosions on my M50's sounds awesome.  I missed out on that with my 595's.

Is it possible to get headphones that have a similar sound to the HD595's, only without the lack of bass?  Or is the lack of bass what gives the HD595's their sound?  I'm not sure how this works so I'm praying I can find headphones that have the crisp and bright highs/mids of the HD595's, in addition to good bass punch and extension.  Is this possible?

My budget is around $1000 for the headphones and the dac/amp.  I have an HT Omega Claro PCI soundcard but I can't use it because I just built a new PC and it doesn't have a PCI slot.  I'm basically starting from scratch.

I keep reading that the HD650's are good and actually have bass, but the price is pretty high and reading people say they're "DULL" or "VEILED" scares me out of buying them.  I had them in my shopping cart on amazon but after doing last minute reading, decided to research more and ask around before buying something.

What I want:

Comfort
Under $1000 for total price
Highs/mids (like the HD595's have)
Accurate (but not overpowering) bass
AROUND-ear
Don't care if they're open or closed, but if the "open" design is what makes the HD595's sound so open and clear then that's what I want

I do gaming but I don't like surround sound.  I prefer regular stereo.  Call me oldschool.

Thanks ahead of time.  I don't really have a budget but I don't think I need to spend more than $1k for a good setup. (right?)

D7000 for a lower cost option and HE500 for a higher one.

May 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #14,874 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone? I'm still quite confused on a good set of phones for me. I have been looking for day's, all I have done is given myself a harder time deciding. Still thinking about the AKG K-240S.

EDIT: What about HD 558?

You might want to try the computer audio section of this forum.

May 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #14,876 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks Guys.

What's your budget?

May 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #14,877 of 29,490
Quote:
The m80s are very vaguely like the hd600s, but more upfront with a nicer baddy punch. They can be driven by your e17 no problems too
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD 600 is a very neutral can.  I have not heard that V-Moda model, but I would be surprised if it was anywhere near the 600 in terms of neutrality.

May 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #14,878 of 29,490
Quote: Originally Posted by mosshorn  The m80s are very vaguely like the hd600s, but more upfront with a nicer baddy punch. They can be driven by your e17 no problems too   The HD 600 is a very neutral can.  I have not heard that V-Moda model, but I would be surprised if it was anywhere near the 600 in terms of neutrality.

Or Clarity, or sound stage, or or or.
and AFAIK the m80 does not even need the E17

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

May 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #14,879 of 29,490
Thanks KG Jag, I'm going to get the dt880 premium, I think I'll be very happy with them. I'm monitoring on amazon to see if I can grap them for a good price.

May 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #14,880 of 29,490
Quote:

The HD 600 is a very neutral can.  I have not heard that V-Moda model, but I would be surprised if it was anywhere near the 600 in terms of neutrality.

I'm mainly saying that for the overall presentation. The bass is punchier than the 600's, and the highs are probably better on the 600's, but to my ears they share the same highs (relaxed). The main difference for me was the 600's made me sleepy, while the M80's do not. Don't go expecting flagship full size can performance for ~$200, but I'm sure you'll enjoy them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back