++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #14,836 of 29,490
I listen to slow rock, ballad, acoustic and sometimes pop music. Which headphone do you think can give justice to these genres? My eyes are set on the following HP's.

1. Fostex T50rp
2. Sennheiser HD25 1-II
3. Ultrasone HFI780
4. AKG Q-701
5. Hifiman HE-300

Thanks in advance and more power to head-fi.

May 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #14,837 of 29,490
Quote:
I listen to slow rock, ballad, acoustic and sometimes pop music. Which headphone do you think can give justice to these genres? My eyes are set on the following HP's.

1. Fostex T50rp
2. Sennheiser HD25 1-II
3. Ultrasone HFI780
4. AKG Q-701
5. Hifiman HE-300

What will your source be?

Quote:
Hey everyone. My girlfriend can't appreciate the difference in sound quality or picture quality. To give you an example of how bad it is, we saw Avatar playing on a tv channel one day. I thought this was the perfect chance to show her that there IS difference in picture. I showed her standard tv, then an HD channel -she didn't notice a difference. THEN I showed her standard again, and put in the blu-ray in. She didn't think there was a difference in picture quality.
She never wears headphones because they bother her ears, but today I saw her wearing Phillips SHE4500 in-ears. Are there any other headphones that fit just like these? She loves music so I want to buy her some decent headphones so she would listen to her music with those for a while. Then when she gets use to them I'll have her listen to the Phillips SHE4500 again and hopefully she'll hear the difference.

Please tell us what she listens to her music from and what your budget is.

May 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #14,839 of 29,490
Quote:
Ora M said:

Please tell us what she listens to her music from and what your budget is.

She listens to mostly rap, hip-hop, R&B, Indie, and almost any song between the 20'-60's. She sometimes listens to rock and pop. She mostly hears her music from regular computer speakers, but now find these Phillips SHE4500 comfy. Now with these headphones she'll be listening to music with her phone as well.
She's in choir and she mostly just listens to the singers and lyrics of songs, but when I ask her "How do you like this song?" on some of her rap music, she says she likes the beat.
I don't have too high of hopes for her to be able to hear the quality difference, so my budget is $10-$60. If it makes a complete difference, I'll go to $80.

May 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #14,840 of 29,490
Quote:

She listens to mostly rap, hip-hop, R&B, Indie, and almost any song between the 20'-60's. She sometimes listens to rock and pop. She mostly hears her music from regular computer speakers, but now find these Phillips SHE4500 comfy. Now with these headphones she'll be listening to music with her phone as well.
She's in choir and she mostly just listens to the singers and lyrics of songs, but when I ask her "How do you like this song?" on some of her rap music, she says she likes the beat.
I don't have too high of hopes for her to be able to hear the quality difference, so my budget is $10-$60. If it makes a complete difference, I'll go to $80.

I'm guessing she'll be out and about with the headphones? Also, are you wanting to get full sized headphones or are you looking for in ear headphones. 

If it's for full sized headphones, here are some good options:
Samson 681/668b
Creative Aurvana Live!
Sony MDR-XB500
KRK KNS-6400

You can read around here about each one of these and see which one may suit her the best.

If your looking for in-ears, this would be a better place to ask: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Good luck!~

May 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #14,841 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm guessing she'll be out and about with the headphones? Also, are you wanting to get full sized headphones or are you looking for in ear headphones. 

If it's for full sized headphones, here are some good options:
Samson 681/668b
Creative Aurvana Live!
Sony MDR-XB500
KRK KNS-6400

You can read around here about each one of these and see which one may suit her the best.

If your looking for in-ears, this would be a better place to ask: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Good luck!~

It'll be in-ears. Thanks!

May 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #14,842 of 29,490
Quote:
I was hoping to get advice here about a new headphone acquisition. I want to get either the
  1. beyerdynamic dt880/600ohm premium
  2. beyerdynamic dt990 pro
  3. akg k240s

I see it's kind of a weird grouping of phones to choose from but I will give a reason for each of why I'm considering them

beyerdynamic dt880/600ohm premium: I want to get these cans eventually, whether it is during this purchase or not. I have read that they are a really good all around mid-fi can that sounds pretty natural. I've read that it's very versatile for different genres. That's the reason I wish to consider this can right now. I am hesistant on them because I hope the bass would be full enough and Idk if I can drive them alright without upgrading an amp. I will upgrade eventually, but if I can't use them with my current stuff than I'm gonna wait on buying them.

beyerdynamic dt990 pro: I am considering these because I want a headphone that has some good bass impact. If you look at my sig, my main headphone is the akg k271 which I really like but there are times when I wish I could get more bass impact specifically on movies and hip hop. My reservations with this headphone is I keep hearing about the bright highs that can be harsh and that the bass may be too overpowering.

akg k240s: I am considering these because I do like the akg fit and sound overall, and looking at least on the graph they seem to have a bassier signature than the k271. (This could be incorrect). That's the reason they're being looked at and because they're cheap compared to the other 2. I don't want to get them though if they are too similar to the k271 and if I'm going to be disappointed because they won't be that great.

So I kinda want to get a new brand even though akg been good to me so I can diversify my listening experiences. I want to use these cans at home with the setup in my sig (for at least until I can upgrade to better) to listen to things like hard rock, movies, hip hop, some ost, and a little electronic. Let me know what your opinion is on these considerations.

Thanks,

You seem to have a good grasp of our choices.  I would add that the 240 is not bassy.  It sounds relatively neutral to me.

May 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #14,843 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello. I'm completely new to this headphone thing, so I was wondering if I can get a recommendation.
I have a budget of around $200 and currently debating whether to get the HD558(and mod them) or the ATH-A700s. I have a high priority for comfort, so I'd prefer open ones, albeit if it's comfortable I don't mind if it's closed. Portability also isn't an issue. I mainly listen to electronic, rock, pop, and ambient music and also watch a lot of movies. I'm thinking of getting a fiio e10 or e17 some time down the line, but for now would prefer something that sounds decent without an amp or a dac.
Thank you!

The 558 is the better can.

May 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #14,844 of 29,490
Quote:

1. Fostex T50rp
2. Sennheiser HD25 1-II
3. Ultrasone HFI780
4. AKG Q-701
5. Hifiman HE-300

The Q701 is excellent for your needs.

May 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #14,845 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone. My girlfriend can't appreciate the difference in sound quality or picture quality. To give you an example of how bad it is, we saw Avatar playing on a tv channel one day. I thought this was the perfect chance to show her that there IS difference in picture. I showed her standard tv, then an HD channel -she didn't notice a difference. THEN I showed her standard again, and put in the blu-ray in. She didn't think there was a difference in picture quality.
She never wears headphones because they bother her ears, but today I saw her wearing Phillips SHE4500 in-ears. Are there any other headphones that fit just like these? She loves music so I want to buy her some decent headphones so she would listen to her music with those for a while. Then when she gets use to them I'll have her listen to the Phillips SHE4500 again and hopefully she'll hear the difference.

Given what you have said about her, she will have to try whatever is recommended herself before a purchase is made.  Otherwise you will be probably be wasting a great deal of time and money.

May 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #14,847 of 29,490
Quote:

You seem to have a good grasp of our choices.  I would add that the 240 is not bassy.  It sounds relatively neutral to me.

Yes, I try to do my research on the forum. Ok thanks, I'll cross off the akg k240 then. I noticed you had a pic of the dt880 pros in your profile. Have you tried them and how were they for you? Like I said I'm looking at the 880/600ohm premiums and the 990 pros.

Thanks

May 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #14,848 of 29,490
My HD595's broke.  They lasted me many years, so I got my money out of them.

What I loved about them:

Comfortable
Extremely bright mids/highs (to my ears)
Open and crisp sound. (hope this makes sense?)

What I didn't like:

Lack of bass.  I don't like a ton of bass.  These headphones just seem to completely lack bass altogether.
Super long cable, but I can live with it if my next pair happens to be Sennheiser.

Current situation:

I bought a temporary pair of ATH-M50's to use until I buy a new setup.  For the price, they've been a great fill-in.  This pair of headphones really made me realize how much I missed having bass in my music/games.  The mids are highs seem really dull to me though on these headphones compared to my HD595's.  I feel suffocated when it comes to the mids/highs on the ATH-M50's, but maybe that's because the 595's are open and the M50's are closed? (I'm not sure that even matters or makes sense?)

I prefer to have bright highs/mids.  I also want bass, but if they sound like the dre beats, then count me out.  I want the bass to be accurate.  Not overpowering/drowning.  The hd595's just have no bass and for gaming (think battlefield 3), I would like better bass.  The deep bass of distant explosions on my M50's sounds awesome.  I missed out on that with my 595's.

Is it possible to get headphones that have a similar sound to the HD595's, only without the lack of bass?  Or is the lack of bass what gives the HD595's their sound?  I'm not sure how this works so I'm praying I can find headphones that have the crisp and bright highs/mids of the HD595's, in addition to good bass punch and extension.  Is this possible?

My budget is around $1000 for the headphones and the dac/amp.  I have an HT Omega Claro PCI soundcard but I can't use it because I just built a new PC and it doesn't have a PCI slot.  I'm basically starting from scratch.

I keep reading that the HD650's are good and actually have bass, but the price is pretty high and reading people say they're "DULL" or "VEILED" scares me out of buying them.  I had them in my shopping cart on amazon but after doing last minute reading, decided to research more and ask around before buying something.

What I want:

Comfort
Under $1000 for total price
Highs/mids (like the HD595's have)
Accurate (but not overpowering) bass
AROUND-ear
Don't care if they're open or closed, but if the "open" design is what makes the HD595's sound so open and clear then that's what I want

I do gaming but I don't like surround sound.  I prefer regular stereo.  Call me oldschool.

Thanks ahead of time.  I don't really have a budget but I don't think I need to spend more than $1k for a good setup. (right?)

May 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #14,849 of 29,490
Quote:
My HD595's broke.  They lasted me many years, so I got my money out of them.

What I loved about them:

Comfortable
Extremely bright mids/highs (to my ears)
Open and crisp sound. (hope this makes sense?)

What I didn't like:

Lack of bass.  I don't like a ton of bass.  These headphones just seem to completely lack bass altogether.
Super long cable, but I can live with it if my next pair happens to be Sennheiser.

Current situation:

I bought a temporary pair of ATH-M50's to use until I buy a new setup.  For the price, they've been a great fill-in.  This pair of headphones really made me realize how much I missed having bass in my music/games.  The mids are highs seem really dull to me though on these headphones compared to my HD595's.  I feel suffocated when it comes to the mids/highs on the ATH-M50's, but maybe that's because the 595's are open and the M50's are closed? (I'm not sure that even matters or makes sense?)

I prefer to have bright highs/mids.  I also want bass, but if they sound like the dre beats, then count me out.  I want the bass to be accurate.  Not overpowering/drowning.  The hd595's just have no bass and for gaming (think battlefield 3), I would like better bass.  The deep bass of distant explosions on my M50's sounds awesome.  I missed out on that with my 595's.

Is it possible to get headphones that have a similar sound to the HD595's, only without the lack of bass?  Or is the lack of bass what gives the HD595's their sound?  I'm not sure how this works so I'm praying I can find headphones that have the crisp and bright highs/mids of the HD595's, in addition to good bass punch and extension.  Is this possible?

My budget is around $1000 for the headphones and the dac/amp.  I have an HT Omega Claro PCI soundcard but I can't use it because I just built a new PC and it doesn't have a PCI slot.  I'm basically starting from scratch.

I keep reading that the HD650's are good and actually have bass, but the price is pretty high and reading people say they're "DULL" or "VEILED" scares me out of buying them.  I had them in my shopping cart on amazon but after doing last minute reading, decided to research more and ask around before buying something.

What I want:

Comfort
Under $1000 for total price
Highs/mids (like the HD595's have)
Accurate (but not overpowering) bass
AROUND-ear
Don't care if they're open or closed, but if the "open" design is what makes the HD595's sound so open and clear then that's what I want

I do gaming but I don't like surround sound.  I prefer regular stereo.  Call me oldschool.

Thanks ahead of time.  I don't really have a budget but I don't think I need to spend more than $1k for a good setup. (right?)

You might like the denon d7000. They do have very slightly recessed mids though. Other than that though they have excellant bass and clean clear highs. I think it's a great headphone you should look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back