++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #14,341 of 29,490
Guys i need your help. Im thinking of buying new headphones because my Senn pc 350 are not satisfying me anymore and i want a cinema theater sound experience in my ears so here's some hp's i like so far. I will use it mainly for music (rock, eletronic, pop), movies and mostly for gaming.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, V-MODA Crossfade M80 or LP and ATH M50.

What you think?

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #14,342 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a headphone for to use with my iPod Classic at home.

I listen to mostly pop, urban, and rock music with some other genres mixed in.

I'm looking for a headphone with average to above average isolation that have the best sound.

These are the models I'm looking at:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1241/13

Sennheiser HD 215 http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/274/13

Extreme 29 http://www.extremeheadphones.com/products/ex-29-headphones

Shure SRH940 http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh940-professional-reference-headphones

Budget is around $300. 

I don't own an amp, but if you think I need one, I'm open to ideas.

I think AKG K550 would be good choice for you.

But check out www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide for more models.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #14,343 of 29,490

Quote:

The ohm rating is 250. I was concerned about that as well - not having an amp and using my phone. Do you think that will end up being a problem? Truth be told, I have not listened to anything on my phone yet. I don't want to be completely putting them to waste by not giving them enough juice.

I really wanted to try the Sennheiser HD 598, but they did not have any in stock. The ohm rating on those is 50, which I suppose is more reasonable for a phone?

Unfortunately, my fears have come true and I think my office is too noisy to have an open set. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but it's too undeniable at this point; it's driving me crazy hearing the people around me talking and whatnot while I'm trying to zone out.

I'm kind of back to the drawing board. While I'm at it, I'd like something that would drive better on my portable device when I am at the office and away from home where I can more easily use an amp. I know that I haven't been getting as much out of the DT 990 Pros as I could have been. I like the sound profile but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily mind a more pronounced mid either. FWIW, I heard an out-of-the-box pair of the 770 and thought it sounded much less clear in comparison. Maybe they just needed to be broken in some. My 990 Pros have been pumping out music for over 50 hours now.

I guess I'm initially curious about the Senny HD 380, ATH M50, and the possibility of the AKG K550, which I have heard mentioned as the closest a closed set can be in soundstage to an open - which is appealing to me, but I have no idea where I would buy the set from.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #14,344 of 29,490

Quote:

Unfortunately, my fears have come true and I think my office is too noisy to have an open set. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but it's too undeniable at this point; it's driving me crazy hearing the people around me talking and whatnot while I'm trying to zone out.

I'm kind of back to the drawing board. While I'm at it, I'd like something that would drive better on my portable device when I am at the office and away from home where I can more easily use an amp. I know that I haven't been getting as much out of the DT 990 Pros as I could have been. I like the sound profile but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily mind a more pronounced mid either. FWIW, I heard an out-of-the-box pair of the 770 and thought it sounded much less clear in comparison. Maybe they just needed to be broken in some. My 990 Pros have been pumping out music for over 50 hours now.

I guess I'm initially curious about the Senny HD 380, ATH M50, and the possibility of the AKG K550, which I have heard mentioned as the closest a closed set can be in soundstage to an open - which is appealing to me, but I have no idea where I would buy the set from.

The Ortofon O-ones are reputed to be closed headphones with an "open" soundstage.  See http://www.head-fi.org/t/504815/review-ortofon-o-one-updated-840-m50-vs-o-one-comparison. If you are US-based, you may like to know that there is a sale of B-stock O-ones going on at headroom.com.  They are selling for $75. Some users report that isolation is below average for closed cans, but according to the "broadband isolation" figure in the innerfidelity.com measurements, they are between the Shure 840 and the ATH M50s. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #14,345 of 29,490

Quote:

Check out the Shure SRH 940 and Ultrasone Pro 750.  Both might work unamped.  If not, you can get entry level amp or amp/dac (like Fiio) if they don't.

You did not mention where you live.  In the US, Amazon is always a good place to start.

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #14,346 of 29,490

Quote:

K550 do indeed get closest to sounding like opened headphones, but they're really tricky in terms of getting a proper seal on the head. You see, clamping force is almost nonexistent, headband sits on top of your head and ear cushions just gently press on the sides of your head. That means that if you have a small or thin head, you will most likely have problems with noise isolation.
But,  if you're in the US, then you can order them from headroom (http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-550.php) and have a 30 day trial period.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #14,348 of 29,490

Quote:
Guys i need your help. Im thinking of buying new headphones because my Senn pc 350 are not satisfying me anymore and i want a cinema theater sound experience in my ears so here's some hp's i like so far. I will use it mainly for music (rock, eletronic, pop), movies and mostly for gaming.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, V-MODA Crossfade M80 or LP and ATH M50.

What you think?

I haven't heard the V-Moda's, but between the Beyers and the AT's I'd take the DT770's.  More comfortable and better sound to my ears.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #14,350 of 29,490

Quote:
I just wanted to ask what the difference is between the grado sr325i (golden cups) and the sr325is (silver cups) if there is any.

Far as I know, the golden 325i is just a limited edition version of the vanilla 325i, marking the nth anniversary of Grado's manufacturing headphones (I remember reading something to that effect here on Head-Fi, but I can't quite recall where I did so). In all likelihood, there isn't much of a difference in terms of SQ, if there even is one.

For the record though, I'm not sure whether I prefer the look of the silvers or the goldies. Opinions from someone who's owned/auditioned both pairs?

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #14,351 of 29,490
Hey. I'm looking for some new headphones. My budget is up to 400$. Info:
I want them to be soundproof.
I listen to mostly everything from classical music to dubstep.
I want them to be over ear.
It would be cool if they also looked nice, but sound quality and comfort is far more important.
I don't have a dac/amp converter, but I'm getting FiiO E17 soon.
I won't use them for gaming.

If you need more info just ask.

Ideas so far:
Vmoda m100
Ultrasone pro 750
Denon d2000

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate your help.
Augustas

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #14,352 of 29,490

Quote:
I want them to be as soundproof as possible, because I would use them in the city and I don't listen to music very loudly so the headphones themselves should isolate most of the noise.
It would be cool if they also looked nice, but sound quality and comfort is far more important.
Ideas so far:
Vmoda m100
Ultrasone pro 750
Denon d2000
Augustas

- over 3meters long cable
- big physical size
- usually hard to drive and require an amp = your pocket tearing from its seams.
- City is full noise, so hearing all those delicate changes in sound that you payed for is almost impossible.
- You are paying attention to other things than the actual music you are listening to.

As you can see it's highly impractical to buy full size headphones for city use. Also buying an expensive portable setup to be used in a city doesn't make much sense as I mentioned, you can't hear those subtle differences in sound that you payed for.

I think you should buy IEMs (in ear monitors). Short cable, small size and no need for an amp. So much better for portable use.

Also as an side note I'd like to mention that Denon D2000 leaks sound a lot.

But if you really want full size headphones then maybe something like the AKG K550.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #14,354 of 29,490

Quote:
I want them to be as soundproof as possible, because I would use them in the city and I don't listen to music very loudly so the headphones themselves should isolate most of the noise.
Ideas so far:
Vmoda m100
Ultrasone pro 750
Denon d2000
Augustas

Ultrasone Pro 750.  You will need to amp it a bit or you won't hear the bass it delivers.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #14,355 of 29,490

Quote:

Also as an side note I'd like to mention that Denon D2000 leaks sound a lot.

But if you really want full size headphones then maybe something like the AKG K550.

Agreed on the Denon--it's not good for street use.

The K 550 is a good can, but many people have reported problems getting them properly sealed, which affects the quality of the sound you receive.  I suggest you try them before you buy them, assuring that they will work for you.

The Pro 750 is the only one of these three that comes with a removable cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back