++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13,892 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, thanks for answering :)

Yea preferably I would like them to be portable. Want to be able to use them on the walk to uni, train and in the library etc. Sorry, but what is FLAC/AAC? I have just seen that the Audio-Technica ATH M50 are ranked #2 on this website, would you recommend these? I want to stay clear of an amp purely due to the fact I have no idea what they are haha.

Thanks for your help man

FLAC= Free Lossless Audio Codec
ALAC= Apple Lossless Audio Codec

... Basically, they're audio formats that contain much more information than MP3s or AACs. There's a minimal amount of compression, but they're still significantly larger than your standard "lossy" files (MP3 being the prime example). Despite their larger size, Lossless Files are much more detailed and "spacious" than lossies, though that depends on your choice of music. For Jazz, acoustic, and other genres that are best presented with an organic feel, the difference between Lossless and lossies is huge. Most music nowadays is heavily artificial, though (note my loose usage of the word "artificial"); if you're into things like techno, dubstep, pop, etc., then the difference might not be all that great, save for when comparing vocals. 

In the latter case, you're better off with high bit rate lossies (e.g. 256-320kbps MP3s), CBR. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #13,893 of 29,490

Quote:
Ignore my last question, just realised they are an upgrade... of course they will be better! Thank you again for your help :) I will go for that pair. thanks!

They're newer than the M50s, yes, but not necessarily an upgrade. Take note that, while a bit coloured, the M50 was designed for studio use, meaning that they're rather flat/neutral in comparison to the PRO700 MK2s. The MK2s were designed for DJs and the like, thus the large emphasis on bass. Both are good, but the choice really depends on your preference in music.

You're welcome! :)

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #13,894 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, thanks for answering :)

Yea preferably I would like them to be portable. Want to be able to use them on the walk to uni, train and in the library etc. Sorry, but what is FLAC/AAC? I have just seen that the Audio-Technica ATH M50 are ranked #2 on this website, would you recommend these? I want to stay clear of an amp purely due to the fact I have no idea what they are haha.

Thanks for your help man

While the M50's are decent headphones however, they are also one of the most overhyped headphones currently on the market. For the current price, I would say that there are better options available. The mids are recessed and the highs can be harsh at times. I also found there to be more sibilance than I could bare (what that means is that whenever the artist said something with the "S" sound is was very harsh on my ears).  I wouldn't recommend you the MK2K's either. They are very bass heavy which can often muddy the rest of the other sound ranges and are extremely uncomfortable to wear. FLAC/AAC are lossless music files pretty much close to CD quality but much smaller in file size. Amps help drive your headphones. If you have a headphone with high impedance an amp is almost necessary (because your mp3 player/phone often does not have enough power), even if they aren't they will help your headphones reach the maximum potential for sound quality. What they do is help power the headphones, reducing any distortion which is more prevalent at higher volumes. If you have a "good" amplifier it can also affect the actual sound signature of your headphones. Most mp3 players/cell phones have a pretty bad sound chip inside. Better amps also have sound chips that can add bass, smoothness, warmth, etc. to the sound quality. If you want the most out of your headphones, I highly suggest that you purchase an amplifier. Even by investing in a cheaper amp it can make a noticeable difference.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #13,895 of 29,490
- My Rig: iPhone, sansa clip+, laptop, desktop (no amp)
- Type of usage: mainly music
- File format: FLAC, mp3
- Music genre: Japanese vocals(Kajiura Yuki), rock(death cab, muse), orchestra(anime/movie OSTs)
- Budget: Around $200
- Headphone/ earphone type: On-ear/Over-ear Headphones(high portability is appreciated but not essential)
- Other requirements (if any): I am hoping to find something with good mids, as I read vocals tend to be centered on the mids. Less analytic, more engaging maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #13,896 of 29,490
I'll try this again, someone suggest me a pair of cans in the $100-150 range that aren't ATH m50's or Ultrasone HFI-580's/DJ1's. I don't want something bass heavy, just one with enough presence that it isn't drowning out other frequencies. Impedance isn't an issue, I have quite a few hefty portable amps.

Music preferences: Vocal Trance, Electro House, Dubstep, UK Hardcore.

- EpicPie

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #13,897 of 29,490
- My Rig: iPhone, sansa clip+, laptop, desktop (no amp)
- Type of usage: mainly music
- File format: FLAC, mp3
- Music genre: Japanese vocals(Kajiura Yuki), rock(death cab, muse), orchestra(anime/movie OSTs)
- Budget: - Headphone/ earphone type: On-ear/Over-ear Headphones(high portability is appreciated but not essential)
- Other requirements (if any): I am hoping to find something with good mids, as I read vocals tend to be centered on the mids. Less analytic, more engaging maybe?
Thanks in advance!

V-MODA M-80
Portable, beautiful, nearly indestructible and has great mids with an amazing and fun sound. Just search this site for them and you'll see.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #13,898 of 29,490

Quote:
I'll try this again, someone suggest me a pair of cans in the $100-150 range that aren't ATH m50's or Ultrasone HFI-580's/DJ1's. I don't want something bass heavy, just one with enough presence that it isn't drowning out other frequencies. Impedance isn't an issue, I have quite a few hefty portable amps.

- EpicPie

AKG K550.

They're not all that hard to drive (32 ohms) and they're also pretty sensitive, meaning that they work well with DAPs, even unamped (though having one helps). They're excellent for vocals, the bass is good (but as you require, not overbearing), and the treble is only slightly inferior to that of the K702 (AKG's flagship).

Off the top of my head. Good luck choosing!

EDIT:
My mistake. The treble-inferiority is actually a bit noticeable, though that depends on how good your source is. They're fairly neutral, overall, and suited to a wide variety of genres. Best cans I've auditioned in the past few weeks, to be honest. 

P.S.
Sorry if my English is a bit choppy, as I'm somewhat lacking in sleep at the moment; I'm not exactly a Grammar Nazi, but I'm pretty damn close. 

P.P.S.
As with the post below, Grados are excellent for rock and techno (U-shaped freq. response and all). Sorry, I'm a bit of a fan :)

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #13,899 of 29,490

Quote:
V-MODA M-80
Portable, beautiful, nearly indestructible and has great mids with an amazing and fun sound. Just search this site for them and you'll see.

Um, vocals are actually pretty bad on the V-MODAs :/

Maybe something in the Sennheiser line? You listen to both orchestral and pop (not to mention rock), so that's a bit of a stretch looking for headphones to suit all those genres. The Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs are great all-rounders, though their sound staging and imaging leaves a bit to be desired. 

They're supra aural closed back phones, built for portability without sacrificing SQ. Have yet to try them myself, but they're reputed to be well-balanced. They're somewhat picky, but the sound is anything but boring.

Also, why not try the Grado line? The sound is somewhat in your face (small-ish sound stage), but they're as engaging as I know headphones to be. The treble is a bit harsh though, so long-term listening is questionable. Also, there are a few complaints re: comfort due to the rigid headband.

Good luck!

EDIT:
Whoops, quoted the wrong post. Either way, it was obviously intended for Ton-chan, so no harm done [I think:p].

Sorry!

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #13,900 of 29,490
Apr 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #13,901 of 29,490
No harm done~

I agree my music genre is a lil' all over the place. But the most important part would be the vocals, female to be specific. Are the senns treble fatiguing? I've read ljokerl's reviews(really have to thank him/her for the shootout) on both headphones, still not sure about either cans.

Any other recommendations??

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #13,902 of 29,490

Quote:

- EpicPie

Well, based on your music preference I would suggest:

*Beyer dt770-closed with good bass (used)
*Beyer dt880-open more neutral (used)
*M Audio Q40

GL!!!

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #13,903 of 29,490

I have just joined this forum, so please do not be too harsh... :)

Ok, I have decided to buy the JH-3A but I have some component questions..
I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me the EXACT products Jerry Harvey used for his JH3A at Rocky Mountain Fest. I know that based on pictures, he used a macbook air, JH3A, and halide bridge. I would love it someone could tell the i/o types for all of these because I am a noob.

Also, I would be thankful if anybody could recommend me a PORTABLE setup with my ipod that I can carry to school.

Thanks in advance :)

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #13,904 of 29,490
@zetsu, i'll look into the k550. I used to own Koss DJ100's which use a grado sr60 driver. It was excellent for vocal trance though I wasn't a fan of the headphones after a while because the midrange was to forward.

@Matt, I'm not a big for of the dt770 when it comes to electronic music.

I'm really looking for another well balanced headphone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Satanic Unicorn magic.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #13,905 of 29,490
woop woop, re-posting~ got any recommendations, guys? .o.

Quote:
Budget: €120-€150~ (please note that prices in Europe are usually higher than those in the States!)
Genre: mainly metal, rock, d'n'b, dubstep, techno, trance tho I listen to pretty much anything ^^"
Sound signature: I like bass along the lines of moderate-low/moderate. I'm also a critical listener and I prefer listening to instruments instead of vocals (for example, when I listen to metal I pay a lot of attention to the guitar(s) and zero to none to the vocals xD)
Usage: here comes the hard part~ I'll be moving to a uni dorm in a different country and even tho I'll be living alone in a room I'm 100% sure that the people around me won't be quiet 24/7 and I want a pair of good headphones which will be able to isolate noise fairly well. I won't have an amp (nor will I have the money to buy one there) so I'll directly plug the headphones in my laptop. Most of the time I'll use them for listening to music tho I'd love to be able to watch films and play video games with them too i.e. sometimes I might have to wear them for a prolonged period of time so they have to be rather comfortable. 
Open/Closed: hm, I believe semi-open/closed will be better (see why in the usage passage above!)
the two pair of headphones I've been looking at are the AKG K240 mkII and Audio Technica M50 but I totally can't decide which pair to get 
confused_face(1).gif
tho any other recommendations are welcome too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back