++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 14, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #13,907 of 29,490

Quote:
No harm done~
I agree my music genre is a lil' all over the place. But the most important part would be the vocals, female to be specific. Are the senns treble fatiguing? I've read ljokerl's reviews(really have to thank him/her for the shootout) on both headphones, still not sure about either cans.
Any other recommendations??

I wouldn't say that the treble was fatiguing, really. It's neither recessed nor over-emphasized, making Senns in general pretty relaxing. This is best exemplified by long-time favourite HD 650. Though yeah, the treble is a bit worse on the HD 25-1 IIs compared to the rest of the range, so they're not ideal for extremely long listening sessions (meaning upwards of four or five hours in one sitting). Apart from that though, they're an excellent pair of sealed headphones. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #13,908 of 29,490
Hi guy's, new to the forum :)

Is there any recommendation for the following:

-Heavy Trance addict.
-LONG hours of headphone usage, 8 hours a day.
-Comfortable
-Budget: $100-250
-Source of Music: Streaming off smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S Captivate)
di.fm (with premium membership), ah.fm
-Types of Trance: Vocal, Melodic, Uplifting

I've been taking a quick look around and have these I'm interested in:

[size=1.7em] -Ultrasone HFI-580 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] -Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones (Black)[/size]

[size=1.7em] -Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] -Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 Pro[/size]

I've never owned a true pair of decent headphones so this would be my first, but since its for daily heavy usage I want to make sure I get something that's worth it

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #13,909 of 29,490
Quote:

Plenty of reviewers would disagree. Are you thinking about the LP/LP2s?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578207/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-reviews

... Yes I was, actually.

Please accept this metaphorical apology cookie while I yank my foot out of my mouth. Thanks :p

Got to say the v-modas are a real eye candy. From ljokerl's reviews, it seems it has a higher value rating than the senns. Probably because of it's tank-like structure, though I'm sure the senns are of equal build quality.

Decisions, decisions. ( ̄ー ̄)

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #13,910 of 29,490
Hello there,

I'm a new fish in here and I ended up reading for hours in here two days ago! I'm so overwhelmed with all the information I sucked in recently from reading about headphones! I really don't know which headphone to buy. Before I ask any questions, I'll tell you what I listen to! Trance, house, progressive house, uplifting, dance, ambient, chill out. Just like the dude above me ^^! I do listen to a variety of other genres as well. Anything except metal though! A bit of rap here and there as well.... I do have a song to perfectly outline what I generally listen to for hours. The almighty genius deadmau5! If you guys don't know this song, you should really check it out, it will blow you away! I really can't wait to get a decent headphone just so I can listen to this track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7XF3kry_Ck

Now, about the headphones I want... At first, I was almost sure I was going to get the m50's. Did a lot of reading and concluded it was just a hype? I guess, I'm not sure! Somehow I ended up with the v-moda m80, did my homework about it and didn't feel it was the right headphone for me! If you did listen to the song I just linked up there, then you would know what type of headphnone I'd need? My budget would be up to 250$, if there's anything really worth it for more than that then I can stretch it out a bit more. I'm getting the ipod classic 160gb 7th generation so I'll be listening to music mainly from the ipod. I do not mind getting a portable amp to boost up everything else!

Please do excuse me for my english, it is my second language so yeah!
Thanks a lot!

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #13,911 of 29,490

Such a different sound signature! The M80 has much smoother treble and sloppier bass with awesome mids. The HD25 is a little more v shaped frequency w/ tight bass and sparkly treble; a little more aggressive overall. Both have pretty good headclamp to start off, but with the HD25 you get fantastic isolation. Not so much the M80.
Quote:
Got to say the v-modas are a real eye candy. From ljokerl's reviews, it seems it has a higher value rating than the senns. Probably because of it's tank-like structure, though I'm sure the senns are of equal build quality.
Decisions, decisions. ( ̄ー ̄)

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #13,912 of 29,490

Quote:
- My Rig: iPhone, sansa clip+, laptop, desktop (no amp)
- Type of usage: mainly music
- File format: FLAC, mp3
- Music genre: Japanese vocals(Kajiura Yuki), rock(death cab, muse), orchestra(anime/movie OSTs)
- Budget: Around $200
- Headphone/ earphone type: On-ear/Over-ear Headphones(high portability is appreciated but not essential)
- Other requirements (if any): I am hoping to find something with good mids, as I read vocals tend to be centered on the mids. Less analytic, more engaging maybe?
Thanks in advance!

Try Ultrasone HFI 780.... If you can go open, get the hd 558

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #13,914 of 29,490

Quote:
In the case of open, then definitely the HD598 over the HD558 for those genres.

Quote:

The price for the HFI-780 is quite high, from what I've gathered(limited dedicated reviews on head-fi), they are all-rounder cans, am I right? Unfortunately, my country doesn't have them...so no luck trying.

HD-558 has a 6.3mm jack. That is a weird choice... Read that the Senns are more neutral than musical? True?

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #13,915 of 29,490

Quote:
The price for the HFI-780 is quite high, from what I've gathered(limited dedicated reviews on head-fi), they are all-rounder cans, am I right? Unfortunately, my country doesn't have them...so no luck trying.

HD-558 has a 6.3mm jack. That is a weird choice... Read that the Senns are more neutral than musical? True?

Considering that they were made for home use, a 6.3mm jack is actually pretty normal. Sennheisers are considered to be generally neutral, at least when compared to the offerings of other manufacturers. But they're by no means unmusical. 

By the way, you could just order the HFI-780s on amazon and have them shipped, couldn't you?

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #13,916 of 29,490

The HD598 is extremely musical. Not a typical sennheiser sound. Very fun while still keeping the Sennheiser lush. Its remarkably good at its price point really, and comfy for over ear. It does have an adapter.
Quote:
Considering that they were made for home use, a 6.3mm jack is actually pretty normal. Sennheisers are considered to be generally neutral, at least when compared to the offerings of other manufacturers. But they're by no means unmusical. 

By the way, you could just order the HFI-780s on amazon and have them shipped, couldn't you?

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #13,917 of 29,490
I see. I guess I should be focusing on portables then.

With the HFI-780 pricing at $249, shipping internationally, risking custom tax...the total price will probably be way above my average-student budget. So, those most likely are not the right headphones for me, financial-wise, of course :)

The HD598 is extremely musical. Not a typical sennheiser sound. Very fun while still keeping the Sennheiser lush. Its remarkably good at its price point really, and comfy for over ear. It does have an adapter.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #13,918 of 29,490

Quote:

But you can't deny that lugging around a pair of cans meant for home use when on the train is a bit inconvenient. Also, 6.3mm>3.5mm adapter>3.5mm jack seems like something that'd get easily damaged :p

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #13,919 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
In the case of open, then definitely the HD598 over the HD558 for those genres.

Quote:

I would not call the HD558s "warm" so neutral kind of makes sense, but to me they are good all around headphones.
Lucky my sound card and A/C receiver have 1/4" jacks.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #13,920 of 29,490

Quote:
I see. I guess I should be focusing on portables then.

With the HFI-780 pricing at $249, shipping internationally, risking custom tax...the total price will probably be way above my average-student budget. So, those most likely are not the right headphones for me, financial-wise, of course :)

I see. That's actually the same reason why I skipped out on getting Grados/Alessandros, and stuck with whatever my local retailers can offer (which, on a happy note, included a wide range of Sennheisers, AKGs, and... I think that's more or less it). International shipping is a pain, especially now that I'm looking to get a Schiit amp. 

By the way, if it's alright with you, I'd like to recommend the same cans I suggested to another person a few posts ago, the AKG K550. They're a bit of a portable/home-use hybrid; while the cable ends in a 3.5mm plug, and the cans are sensitive with only a 32 ohm impedance, they're fairly large and weighty. The pads are foldable though, for easy transport and storage. You could also wear them around your neck, if you want to.

There's an excellent review over at InnerFidelity, which can do a much better job at justifying your buying these cans:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back