++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #13,936 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I am selling my HFI 2400. They leak too much sound and have bad isolation. I want a closed headphone. Max is 250 dollars. I want bass heavy headphones, but remaining clear in the mids and highs, but still do not want muddy bass. I am thinking about upgrading to the Pro 750. What do you recommend? I listen to mainly hip hop an rock. I want closed headphones! And I want comfortable headphones with good leakage and isolation.

Thanks,

LazBro123

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #13,937 of 29,490
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #13,938 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

I am selling my HFI 2400. They leak too much sound and have bad isolation. I want a closed headphone. Max is 250 dollars. I want bass heavy headphones, but remaining clear in the mids and highs, but still do not want muddy bass. I am thinking about upgrading to the Pro 750. What do you recommend? I listen to mainly hip hop an rock. I want closed headphones! And I want comfortable headphones with good leakage and isolation.

Thanks,

LazBro123

Pro 750 sounds like a good choice if you like a bright sound signature.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #13,941 of 29,490
Quote:
I see. I guess I should be focusing on portables then.

With the HFI-780 pricing at $249, shipping internationally, risking custom tax...the total price will probably be way above my average-student budget. So, those most likely are not the right headphones for me, financial-wise, of course :)

I see. That's actually the same reason why I skipped out on getting Grados/Alessandros, and stuck with whatever my local retailers can offer (which, on a happy note, included a wide range of Sennheisers, AKGs, and... I think that's more or less it). International shipping is a pain, especially now that I'm looking to get a Schiit amp. 

By the way, if it's alright with you, I'd like to recommend the same cans I suggested to another person a few posts ago, the AKG K550. They're a bit of a portable/home-use hybrid; while the cable ends in a 3.5mm plug, and the cans are sensitive with only a 32 ohm impedance, they're fairly large and weighty. The pads are foldable though, for easy transport and storage. You could also wear them around your neck, if you want to.

There's an excellent review over at InnerFidelity, which can do a much better job at justifying your buying these cans:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

It is unavailable on amazon and my local audio shop. Finding the right headphones is really such a pain in the neck -.-

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #13,946 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Thanks,

LazBro123

How important is bass to you? If you're alright with something that has decent mids and highs, but bass that feels like your ears are getting whaled on by loudspeakers, go for the A-T PRO700 MK2. They make the Denon's bass seem frail in comparison.

EDIT:
Also, since they were designed for DJs and the like, they're foldable and not all that hard to wear around your neck when not in use. On the plus side, they look pretty dang impressive too.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #13,947 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of AKG K240 headphones (with no amp) and am looking to move up to the next level. My budget is about $500.

I looked through all the guides and it seems like the AKG K702 are a great value for the price. The problem is, I'm not really sure how to amp headphones. Are there any amp/headphone combos any recommends in my price range? I would also be willing to invest in a new sound card for my computer if that does the same thing as an amp.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #13,948 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of AKG K240 headphones (with no amp) and am looking to move up to the next level. My budget is about $500.

I looked through all the guides and it seems like the AKG K702 are a great value for the price. The problem is, I'm not really sure how to amp headphones. Are there any amp/headphone combos any recommends in my price range? I would also be willing to invest in a new sound card for my computer if that does the same thing as an amp.

I have seen other threads on the forum that talk about amping the K/Q 701/2.  You might want to search for them and check out the "Headphone Amps" and "Computer Audio" sections of the forum.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #13,949 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

K702 will need an amp to shine. You can probably find hundreds of post on amp for K702, good luck reading. Also you might want to check on Q701 as well, I believe this is the newer model (doesn't mean its superior to K702, just that they are slightly different, if there are no special preference, then go with the lower price I guess)

If you are looking at $500, then maybe these posts can give you a good impression, base on your music interest
http://www.head-fi.org/t/524569/review-20-headphones-compared
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

If you PC does not have comes with acoustic or EMI shielding treatment, then I would say for or an all in one box (DAC + headphone amp with USB connection), to avoid all these computer noise problem - I had a Asus Xonar ST, which is a good match to K702 IMO, however I need work on some DIY EMI shielding to improve the situation, but never got rid of the noise completely... This is worsen if you have highly efficient phones such as IEMs...

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #13,950 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Is the K240 you own the Studio or Monitor version? That's to say, considering you've been using them without an amp, you've probably got the 55 ohm version. Forget my first question =_=;;

Anyway, if you're planning on upgrading to the K702, you may as well invest in a decent amp first, and see if that's not enough to make you fall in love with your cans all over again.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to things such as amps and the like (my knowledge extends as far as knowing when to use a tube amp or a solid state one), so you'll have to check the Amplifier subforum here on Head-Fi. Considering that the K240s are a pretty popular set of cans, you won't have a problem asking for advice on amping them.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back