++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #13,876 of 29,490
Budget: €120-€150~ (please note that prices in Europe are usually higher than those in the States!)
Genre: mainly metal, rock, d'n'b, dubstep, techno, trance tho I listen to pretty much anything ^^"
Sound signature: I like bass along the lines of moderate-low/moderate. I'm also a critical listener and I prefer listening to instruments instead of vocals (for example, when I listen to metal I pay a lot of attention to the guitar(s) and zero to none to the vocals xD)
Usage: here comes the hard part~ I'll be moving to a uni dorm in a different country and even tho I'll be living alone in a room I'm 100% sure that the people around me won't be quiet 24/7 and I want a pair of good headphones which will be able to isolate noise fairly well. I won't have an amp (nor will I have the money to buy one there) so I'll directly plug the headphones in my laptop. Most of the time I'll use them for listening to music tho I'd love to be able to watch films and play video games with them too i.e. sometimes I might have to wear them for a prolonged period of time so they have to be rather comfortable. 
Open/Closed: hm, I believe semi-open/closed will be better (see why in the usage passage above!)
the two pair of headphones I've been looking at are the AKG K240 mkII and Audio Technica M50 but I totally can't decide which pair to get 
confused_face(1).gif
tho any other recommendations are welcome too!

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #13,877 of 29,490
Since I was having trouble choosing headphones, someone here recommended me to order more than one pair of headphones from amazon, then return the ones I don't like. How does that work? Is that normally what's done when ordering online? Is there usually a return shipping cost associated? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #13,878 of 29,490
First post here. I'm looking for a portable set up. I was looking at the DX100 and (waiting) HM-901. For cans I was looking at the HE-5LE and HE-500, whats the main difference between the 2 and what would you recommend? Will the DX100 and 901 be able to drive them? What would you recommend for cables? Any other headphones you would recommend? Anything else (amp, dac, etc)?

Thanks

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #13,879 of 29,490
You can do it. I don't know if its normally done; Amazon is very generous with their return policy (make sure it is actually fulfilled by Amazon, though it doesn't have to be sold by Amazon). There is a return shipping cost but its not horrible. I would try not to take advantage of it!

Quote:
Since I was having trouble choosing headphones, someone here recommended me to order more than one pair of headphones from amazon, then return the ones I don't like. How does that work? Is that normally what's done when ordering online? Is there usually a return shipping cost associated? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #13,883 of 29,490
Any advice?

Quote:

Hey guys,

Been looking to get some new iems, after my rather shocking CX400-IIs were stolen. Joker's thread and reviews have helped me out a fair bit and narrowed the choice down to either of the two mentioned in the title.

The CW31s I can get for £21, whereas the R02s are £26 - not willing to pay more than £30, as I simply cant afford it.

Which is the best bet, or are there other alternatives out there? (Please dont just post a name, doesnt help me much :p)

Main genre is metal/rock, but I listen to a lot of Jazz and "Classical" (mainly classical or romantic) and am slowly edging into DnB (mainly liquid tbh).

Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #13,884 of 29,490
Hello all,

I am new to the whole sound world and happened to stumble on this website.

I want to buy a new pair of over-ear headphones, I used to have a bear of Dr Dre Studio Beats which I thought were fantastic. I mainly listened to very chilled out House music or things like "The xx, mumford & sons, Ben Howard etc" but I also want to have enough bass in the headphones to listen to dubstep and people like "The Twelves".

I was originally torn between purchasing a new pait of Dr Dre's (my previous pair broke) and the bose quietcomfort 3. But after reading different threads I am now completely clueless as to what headphones I should buy.

Price isn't really a huge issue, something similar/less to that of the Dr Dre's or Bose (max £250). And comfort is key, every pair of headphones I have had in the past have hurt my ears, (however I will sacrifice comfort for sound quality). Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones which will provide excellent sound quality for chilled out house, rock, classical music. But also have enough bass for dubstep? They will mainly be used with my ipod/laptop. (I have no idea what to do about amps? Never even heard about headphone amps until I came to this forum).

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #13,885 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all,

I want to buy a new pair of over-ear headphones, I used to have a bear of Dr Dre Studio Beats which I thought were fantastic. I mainly listened to very chilled out House music or things like "The xx, mumford & sons, Ben Howard etc" but I also want to have enough bass in the headphones to listen to dubstep and people like "The Twelves".

I was originally torn between purchasing a new pait of Dr Dre's (my previous pair broke) and the bose quietcomfort 3. But after reading different threads I am now completely clueless as to what headphones I should buy.

Price isn't really a huge issue, something similar/less to that of the Dr Dre's or Bose (max £250). And comfort is key, every pair of headphones I have had in the past have hurt my ears, (however I will sacrifice comfort for sound quality). Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones which will provide excellent sound quality for chilled out house, rock, classical music. But also have enough bass for dubstep? They will mainly be used with my ipod/laptop. (I have no idea what to do about amps? Never even heard about headphone amps until I came to this forum).

Do they need to be portable? If not, the Denon AH-D2000 and the FiiO E10 DAC (or FiiO E7 if you want an amp/DAC) is a great choice. Also, the quality of your sound files is HUGE. I would recommend you have at least 320 kbps if you don't want to use FLAC/AAC.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #13,886 of 29,490

Quote:

Do they need to be portable? If not, the Denon AH-D2000 and the FiiO E10 DAC (or FiiO E7 if you want an amp/DAC) is a great choice. Also, the quality of your sound files is HUGE. I would recommend you have at least 320 kbps if you don't want to use FLAC/AAC.

Hey, thanks for answering :)

Yea preferably I would like them to be portable. Want to be able to use them on the walk to uni, train and in the library etc. Sorry, but what is FLAC/AAC? I have just seen that the Audio-Technica ATH M50 are ranked #2 on this website, would you recommend these? I want to stay clear of an amp purely due to the fact I have no idea what they are haha.

Thanks for your help man

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #13,887 of 29,490
Hello all,

First piece of advice, never consider those two brands for anything ever again(Maybe the QC3 if you're frequent flyer, but that's it).

I'll let the more experienced forums member suggest stuff. I'll go with the Shure SRH940s.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #13,888 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all,

For bass, I recommend the Audio Technica PRO700 MK2. They're definitely heavy on the lower-end, but the bass is tight and it doesn't (significantly) drown out the rest of the spectrum. Sound stage is good for a closed headphone, and they're foldable, if you want to use them out of the house. 

Another plus is that their cables aren't fixed, meaning that if you happen to damage the cord (the cans come with both a straight and a coiled cable, by the way), you can just switch it out with another one.

If portability isn't much of an issue, then I highly recommend the Denon AH-D2000. The bass isn't overwhelming, but it's enough for most. Cons are that they don't have much in the way of isolation, they're not meant for portable use, and that the sound a bit "flat". 

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #13,889 of 29,490

Quote:
First piece of advice, never consider those two brands for anything ever again(Maybe the QC3 if you're frequent flyer, but that's it).
I'll let the more experienced forums member suggest stuff. I'll go with the Shure SRH940s.

The 940s? I've yet to try those in particular, but in my experience Shures aren't all that heavy in the lower frequencies. Also, don't Shure supraaurals have durability/build quality issues?

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #13,890 of 29,490

Quote:
For bass, I recommend the Audio Technica PRO700 MK2. They're definitely heavy on the lower-end, but the bass is tight and it doesn't (significantly) drown out the rest of the spectrum. Sound stage is good for a closed headphone, and they're foldable, if you want to use them out of the house. 

Another plus is that their cables aren't fixed, meaning that if you happen to damage the cord (the cans come with both a straight and a coiled cable, by the way), you can just switch it out with another one.

If portability isn't much of an issue, then I highly recommend the Denon AH-D2000. The bass isn't overwhelming, but it's enough for most. Cons are that they don't have much in the way of isolation, they're not meant for portable use, and that the sound a bit "flat". 

That's fantastic, I tend to have bad luck and accidentally damage cables, so that's a big plus for me!
Thank you again for your prompt response :). Would you recommend the  Audio Technica PRO700 MK2 over the ATH M50's then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back