++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #13,786 of 29,490
Then Shure SRH840 and Audio Technica ATH-M50. Keep in mind, I haven't listened to either, but they are two of the most highly recommended headphones on this site.

Quote:
Ok. I guess they dont need to be attractive soo. scratch that lol. :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #13,787 of 29,490
I could get the Shure SRH940 from Amazon for 200$ used. And are the Audio Techinica ATH PRO700 MK2 better then the M50? So out of the Shure SR940 and ATHPRO700 MK2. Which is better? 

Quote:
Then Shure SRH840 and Audio Technica ATH-M50. Keep in mind, I haven't listened to either, but they are two of the most highly recommended headphones on this site.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #13,788 of 29,490

Quote:
I could get the Shure SRH940 from Amazon for 200$ used. And are the Audio Techinica ATH PRO700 MK2 better then the M50? So out of the Shure SR940 and ATHPRO700 MK2. Which is better? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592320/ath-m50-or-ath-pro700mk2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/480354/closed-headphone-shoot-out-k271-vs-dt770-vs-d5000-vs-srh840-vs-srh940-vs-hd-25

Just read, read, read. Seems like the ATH-M50 is still better than the PRO700 MK2 and the SRH940s pwns everything in its path.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #13,789 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Recently I caught the upgraditus bug and I'm looking for some new headphones.
I currently have the Ultrasone Pro 900's and I'm using them with an Ibasso D2+ Boa and Ipod Classic 160gb. I love the headphones but nowadays they're sounding very cold to my ears. They're also not very comfortable on my head but that may be because I have cauliflower ear from wrestling
frown.gif
. Nonetheless I still love full-sized cans and can't escape it
beyersmile.png
. So basically I'm looking for some comfortable headphones that are warmer sounding than the 900's. I mainly listen to Rock/Punk, Alternative, and some Hip-hop. I'm looking to spend about $250 or maybe a little more if its worth it. I've been looking at the Denon D2'ks and the Beyerdynamic DT880's, but since some people complain about the Beyer's sounding a bit dry so I'm leaning toward the D2000s. Any recommendations?

All help is welcome, thanks guys.
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #13,790 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

Recently I caught the upgraditus bug and I'm looking for some new headphones.
I currently have the Ultrasone Pro 900's and I'm using them with an Ibasso D2+ Boa and Ipod Classic 160gb. I love the headphones but nowadays they're sounding very cold to my ears. They're also not very comfortable on my head but that may be because I have cauliflower ear from wrestling
frown.gif
. Nonetheless I still love full-sized cans and can't escape it
beyersmile.png
. So basically I'm looking for some comfortable headphones that are warmer sounding than the 900's. I mainly listen to Rock/Punk, Alternative, and some Hip-hop. I'm looking to spend about $250 or maybe a little more if its worth it. I've been looking at the Denon D2'ks and the Beyerdynamic DT880's, but since some people complain about the Beyer's sounding a bit dry so I'm leaning toward the D2000s. Any recommendations?

All help is welcome, thanks guys.
beerchug.gif

The D2000 is warm and dark.  I have not heard the Pro 900, but find that my HiFi 780 to be bright--just a step down from Grados or maybe the Alessandros.  The DT 880 (at least the Pro version) is a bit to dry or too much on the analytical side for some.  It is also just a bit to the bright side, but not as much as the DT 770 Pro.

I'm not sure that either of cans is an upgrade for you, as you probably paid more than a little more for the Pro 900.  However, each will give you a different sound than the Ultrasone--at least the one I know about.

Both the Denon and the Beyer are comfortable--although the smaller size of the 880's ear cup means that it is not as comfortable as the DT 770.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #13,791 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks KG Jag

The HiFi 780 are the "old" version of the Pro 750? Yes please, comment about them. 
My wish list is getting larger hahaha and my wallet will get shorter.

No (as far as I know at least)--the Pro 750 is a more refined version of the HiFi 780 with additional features, such as a removable cord x 2 & spare ear pads.

The older version of the 750 was called the Proline 750.  See:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ultrasone-closed-proline-750-circumaural-headphone

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #13,792 of 29,490

Quote:
The D2000 is warm and dark.  I have not heard the Pro 900, but find that my HiFi 780 to be bright--just a step down from Grados or maybe the Alessandros.  The DT 880 (at least the Pro version) is a bit to dry or too much on the analytical side for some.  It is also just a bit to the bright side, but not as much as the DT 770 Pro.

I'm not sure that either of cans is an upgrade for you, as you probably paid more than a little more for the Pro 900.  However, each will give you a different sound than the Ultrasone--at least the one I know about.

Both the Denon and the Beyer are comfortable--although the smaller size of the 880's ear cup means that it is not as comfortable as the DT 770.

Well maybe I'm not looking so much for an upgrade as much as a compliment to my 900's. That being said I think I'm leaning more so towards the Denons as I've been craving something warmer/darker than the 900's. Also I've read you can get them for about $210 from J&R if you call them, which is a very good deal for the headphones as far as I understand.
Also on a side note, I payed less than $300 for my 900's brand new, so I got quite a deal on them.
tongue_smile.gif

Anyways, I appreciate the input! Thanks a bunch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #13,793 of 29,490

Ok, so I thought it would be a simple task to pick some <$50 headphones (over head) for my wife and me. My wife was easy and she wanted pink so I have these two options:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380421910291?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1809wt_1340
OR
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310384766079?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4054wt_1340

I'm thinking Vestax as they have a better brand name...

Anyway, before I get my mancard revoked, I am looking for a pair to use with my iPod/HTC smartphone. I mainly listen to podcasts on it while working out but will also listen to Dubstep, Hip Hop, Top 30 ect...Open or closed is fine, will not be wearing in public.

It seems that the Sennheiser HD 201 ($37 at JB) get decent reviews, but i'm also looking at Behringer HPS3000 for $32 or any other recommendations less than $50?
I have spent the past 3 hours finding many names that I haven't heard of (not that that means anything) but then search on ebay for brands I do know and i get some nice looking Sony (MDR-PQ2 or MDR-v300), Pioneer (SE-MJ31 or SE-M290) options at my price point.

Would appreciate any opinions! Or at this price point is it all much of a muchness? All prices in Australian Dollars.

Thanks,
Mark.

PS - Have checked the Wall of Fame and the two buying guides but nothing in my price range. The Shootout and Multi IEM reviews, while brilliant, aren't the type I am looking for...

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #13,794 of 29,490
Hi, does anyone have recommendations for a pair of cans around US$200?

1) Prefer one with a wide soundstage and rather comfortable to wear.
2) Doesn't have to be portable as it's for home use.
3) I don't mind open-back ones if they're good as well. 
4) I don't mind used cans.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #13,795 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I have a small budget of under £40 so I was looking for a decent headset which could be good for both gaming and music, I have a Asus Xonar DX soundcard in my pc so a decent headset to go with that would be nice, thank you for any advice.

Hey guys I am not trolling here, I seriously only have a budget of around £40-£50 because I don't have much money saved up right now as I am at uni, so please can you help me?

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #13,796 of 29,490

Quote:

Ok, so I thought it would be a simple task to pick some <$50 headphones (over head) for my wife and me. My wife was easy and she wanted pink so I have these two options:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380421910291?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1809wt_1340
OR
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310384766079?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4054wt_1340

I'm thinking Vestax as they have a better brand name...

Anyway, before I get my mancard revoked, I am looking for a pair to use with my iPod/HTC smartphone. I mainly listen to podcasts on it while working out but will also listen to Dubstep, Hip Hop, Top 30 ect...Open or closed is fine, will not be wearing in public.

It seems that the Sennheiser HD 201 ($37 at JB) get decent reviews, but i'm also looking at Behringer HPS3000 for $32 or any other recommendations less than $50?
I have spent the past 3 hours finding many names that I haven't heard of (not that that means anything) but then search on ebay for brands I do know and i get some nice looking Sony (MDR-PQ2 or MDR-v300), Pioneer (SE-MJ31 or SE-M290) options at my price point.

Would appreciate any opinions! Or at this price point is it all much of a muchness? All prices in Australian Dollars.

Thanks,
Mark.

PS - Have checked the Wall of Fame and the two buying guides but nothing in my price range. The Shootout and Multi IEM reviews, while brilliant, aren't the type I am looking for...

Philips SHL5500: they were just over $40 recently on amazon in the US.  I do not know whether they would make your budget in Australia.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #13,798 of 29,490
Soley a Grado listener ,  have magnums but want to try something new.  Bought a pair of Fostex T50RP,  added adhesive craft foam and they really are special with guitar and female voice.  But they being closed I think limits the potential.

Which of the better orthos are most Grado like in having an intimate presentation:

HE-5
HE-5LE
HE-6
HE-400
HE-500

As far as amplification I can put together what ever is needed so that is not a factor.  Mainly want the grado intimacy in an ortho.

thanks

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #13,799 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey,

Any suggestions for everyday, comfort, easy to use headphones for under $300?

At the moment I have the V Moda M80s in mind

I have the V-80s and they're fantastic. I don't think they've left my side since I got them. The only fault I find with the M-80s is that they don't isolate well. If you travel frequently(airplane, subway), then you'll have to bring the volume up a bit to block out the noise, and even then sound will come through. I even find a slightly noisy coffee shop filter into my ears.

Comfort wise, they took me about a week to appreciate. When I first got them, they pinched the heck out of my left ear. I was almost tempted to return them. Now that they're broken in, I can go 2-3 hours before I notice any fatigue. I have a medium/large head so YMMV.

Soundwise they're
basshead.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #13,800 of 29,490

Quote:
Below your price range for classical music and classical jazz: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Fostex T50RP.  The Fostex is darker and has a very "closed" sound.  I find the Ortofon O-One (about $200, but B-stock at headroom.com for $79 recently) to have a beautiful "open" sound for classical and classical jazz music, despite its being a closed headphone.  This makes it a versatile headphone for this kind of music; I even use it on walks with my Android phone sometimes.  You may find, however, that the treble on the Ortofon is a little bright.  I suspect that any of these three would be a significant improvement over the headphone you own for the genres you list.

Read reviews on both and they seem to lack bass... I like alot of Bass Heavy Jazz actually xD I've heard the ATH AD700 doesn't do Cello much justice and I have my doubts about Double Bass ethier... although the Orthfon O-One was intrigueing... still I might stick with the DT880 250Ohm, I'm hearing good things about the Grado Sound as well so I might look into that as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back