++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #13,816 of 29,490

Quote:
A competitor at a similar price is the JVC HARX 300, which was recently on sale at H.H. Gregg and at Fry's for $10.  My son and my son-in-law both use a pair and seem reasonably satisfied.  My son also has a pair of MEElectronics HT-21 that I bought used for him at Amazon for about $15,  He finds them more convenient than the JVCs. The next step up in the HARX line is the JVC HARX-500 for $25 or so.  You can find some comparisons of the HARX-500 and the HD201 on head-fi.  If you were in the U.S., you would find that there are a lot of good "entry-level" choices under $30!

Thanks again mate. I can get the JVC HA RX300 for about $40dlvd here. The RX500 and the HT-21 are both outta range :frowning2:

Strange, I always had the "image" in my mind that JVC weren't very good electronics wise.

Cheers,
Mark.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #13,817 of 29,490

Quote:
Is the Shure SRH 940 a all around headphone? I was thinking of getting this headphone and just wondering if it was a all around headphone that can play all genres very well. Also I have the UE TripleFi 10's and would the V Moda M80s sound better than them or no?

Yes the 940 is an all around can.  Unless you like the sound signature and intangibles of the V Moda, the Shure is a superior choice.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #13,818 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys, I have been eyeing on the HD598's for a while but no deal has come up yet. So i was wondering is there anything on par with HD598 but a bit more base and it is a open can? I would like to get a E17 along with it and I am waiting for a deal on the headphones 

The closest thing is the HD 558.  Some have reported that the "remove the tape" mod makes it sound almost exactly like its more expensive sibling.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #13,819 of 29,490
Hello, I currently have the D5000 and it's a great can except the bass is too much for me. On some songs/genres, it feels like I'm in the club. Only time I want to feel like that is if I am at the club :p had too many nights of my old roommates blasting dubstep til 5 am. I'm not looking at the Ultrasone Edition 8 and the Beyerdynamic T5p. Would either of these give me the same problem? I'm hoping that whatever I get, it can be used for everything and occasionally be portable. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Actually let me be more specific. I do like bass, and I still want to be able to hear/feel it. However, the bass on the D5000 doesn't seem to be very clean. It seems like it's everywhere (as in all around my head), in a way that makes me feel like I'm inside a subwoofer. Hope that makes sense.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #13,822 of 29,490

Quote:
I have read that, but I have a feeling that it will still not be to my taste. Another option is to just get an open can for home use and iem for portable use...hmmm.....and the plot thickens...dun dun dun

You may be at a juncture where only sitting down and listening to the D7000 and/or any can you are seriously considering will provide the answer.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #13,823 of 29,490

Quote:
Soley a Grado listener ,  have magnums but want to try something new.  Bought a pair of Fostex T50RP,  added adhesive craft foam and they really are special with guitar and female voice.  But they being closed I think limits the potential.

Which of the better orthos are most Grado like in having an intimate presentation:

HE-5
HE-5LE
HE-6
HE-400
HE-500

As far as amplification I can put together what ever is needed so that is not a factor.  Mainly want the grado intimacy in an ortho.

thanks

Anyone?  I came to this forum hoping for a little insight. Never liked Senns, liked the old AKG's with the passive radiators but not their new stuff.    My history is HP-2000 (sold to eat),  then worked up to Allesandro Pros,  finally Magnum V4's (wood and alu),   thought I had it all figured out but the $79 Fostex threw a monkey wrench into my whole mindset about headphones. 
I mean with a little mass loading in the cups,  these fostex orthos can reproduce strings like nothing I've ever heard before.   I can't help but think there is a higher end ortho that I should try.   As far as amplification I have a lot of options,  it isn't an issue.   Any advice would be appreciated.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #13,824 of 29,490
So which is better the Denon D2K or Shure SRH940?

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #13,826 of 29,490

Quote:
You may be at a juncture where only sitting down and listening to the D7000 and/or any can you are seriously considering will provide the answer.

And off course there are no real audio stores with headphones that I can try out around where I live. Thanks for the advice looks like its time to mass buy/sell til I hit the right pair!

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #13,827 of 29,490
I get an amazing sound from the in-ear headphones that came with my Samsung phone but whenever I record bass guitar, it sounds out-of-tune on the low notes and somewhat muddy.

I have 300 dollars, what do I do?

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #13,828 of 29,490

Quote:
I get an amazing sound from the in-ear headphones that came with my Samsung phone but whenever I record bass guitar, it sounds out-of-tune on the low notes and somewhat muddy.

I have 300 dollars, what do I do?

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 M is made for drummers.  Maybe it will work for the entire bottom.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #13,829 of 29,490

Quote:
So which is better the Denon D2K or Shure SRH940?

The Denon is better for deep bass and sub-bass with a warm dark signature & with somewhat recessed mids.

The Shure is much more neutral and a better all around choice.  The Shure is much easier to use on the go.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #13,830 of 29,490
Would an upgrade from the Klipsch S4is to either the Sony MDR-V6s or the the ATH M50s be noticeable? I thought the S4s were already pretty decent so I don't know if I should spend a ton of money (for me) on the M50s or just get the V6s if the improvement in sound isn't that significant. I listen to country music by the way, mostly female vocals, but I also like a bit of bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back