++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #13,696 of 29,490

Quote:
hi, im looking for headphones that will be used for 75% rock and 25% rap. i need them to be closed. my budget is $150 but it can be expanded a little.  i like forward mids and a good amount of bass (similar amount as the ath m50 provides). if their is nothing that is good for both, then please recomend headphones that are good for rock (as i already have good sounding headphones for rap).

Shure SRH 750DJ is a good choice. As well, the Ultrasone HFI-680 is an amazing choice. The HFI-580 is great for mostly rap, and the HFI-780 is great for mostly rock. A perfect middle group are the 680s, which are good for almost any genre you throw at them. The Beyer DT-770 Pro 80 is also a fantastic choice. PM me for more info :D

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #13,697 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey im decideing on the M-Audio Q40s and the Shure 440s im wanting clarity and good bass but not too much, I can get the Q40s for $115 and the 440s for $90 i also want the pads NOT to rest on my ears (the 440s look like they wont do that to me bc their oval shaped) they both have detachable cables so thats a major plus for me im gonna be buying a fiio e5 amp so their gonna b amped, im gonna be listening to metal and rock (Avenged Sevenfold and Three Days Grace) so which one would be better suited for that? right now i have skullcandy titans and i really love their sound sig (its not crazy wavy like most other headphones)  but im wanting to upgrade to closed cans
so if you guys could help that would save me soo many headaches 

Both are excellent headphones. You cannot go wrong with either. I haven't listened to the Q40s and the 440s, but I read the the highs are basically the same on both. The Q40s win in the mids and the 440s win in the bass quantity....(not by much at all.) I suspect the Q40s have a bit better quality bass, but I don't know about that. You should talk to owners of both, and ask them about which one they prefer lol :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #13,701 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the brainwavz hm5, after hearing all the good reviews on them. Would they benefit from a amp/dac such as the fiio e7 or e10? Thanks

An amp will definitely benefit from better amplification but Im not sure if the e7 or E10 will cut it or show any improvement :S.

The E10, at least, is supposed to be pretty good.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #13,702 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the brainwavz hm5, after hearing all the good reviews on them. Would they benefit from a amp/dac such as the fiio e7 or e10? Thanks

E10 is good.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #13,703 of 29,490
Hello!

Today I'm returning the D2K and planning on getting a "replacement".

I have the MDR V6, Grados 225i, Westone Um3X and hear mostly Electronic, Rock, Pop, R&B, etc.through iPod Classic 5G 80GB + Fiio e11.

Looking into the Sennheiser's line (HD 600-650) really like the 650. Also the Ultrasone Pro 750 that reads very appealing, the German maestros, Bayerdinamics... So basically looking into a German headphone.

Thank's  

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #13,704 of 29,490
Good afternoon all,
I'm posting over here since I didn't get any love over in the portable thread.  I want to get a set of cans that are more portable than my AKG 240M's.  That being said, I LOVE my 240M's and I know that I'm going to have to part with some of the flat FR and impeccable imaging in a more portable pair.  

I will likely be using them more often with an amp (cmoy or the like) than not.

The SAF approved budget is about $60 USD.

It doesn't matter to me if your suggestions are true portables or not... just something better for taking on trips, using on the commuter van... etc. than my 240's.  I don't want IEMs.  Can't stand having something stuck in my ears.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #13,705 of 29,490
Hello, 
I recently purchased Focal - Spirit One and like them very much, however I am currently running them through my mobo's AUX with no DAC or amp.  I would like some advice for a DAC and/or amp that might compliment these headphones well without breaking the bank.  Portability is not very important, nor is footprint.

Music: I listen to everything, but mostly techno, classical, and rap.  I am playing lossless files on foobar 2000. 

Budget:  I would prefer to stay between $300-$200

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #13,706 of 29,490

Quote:
Unfortunately, isolation comes from clamping... unless you want to go with iems.

Well I already own a pair of IEMs that I'm currently using.  So I definitely don't want to go that route.  I can't wear them for more than a couple hours.

So if I had to choose between isolation and comfort, I'd go with comfort.  The most amazing headphones in the world won't do me much good if I can't wear them for very long.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #13,707 of 29,490

Quote:
Good afternoon all,
I'm posting over here since I didn't get any love over in the portable thread.  I want to get a set of cans that are more portable than my AKG 240M's.  That being said, I LOVE my 240M's and I know that I'm going to have to part with some of the flat FR and impeccable imaging in a more portable pair.  

I will likely be using them more often with an amp (cmoy or the like) than not.

The SAF approved budget is about $60 USD.

It doesn't matter to me if your suggestions are true portables or not... just something better for taking on trips, using on the commuter van... etc. than my 240's.  I don't want IEMs.  Can't stand having something stuck in my ears.

Thanks in advance!

The $20ish Monoprice 8323 is worth considering.  The Shure SRH 440 is above your budget.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #13,708 of 29,490
Posted my own thread before seeing this so im now posting here, sorry about that! 

Hello, recently my electronic kit I have been using has broken so I need to get myself a good pair of noise cancelling headphones for drumming on an acoustic kit and every day use (all I am using at the moment is some sennheiser HD202,not the best!). I have a small room so I need some strong noise cancelling (the earplugs I use have 32dB cancelling and they sound about how I would want headphones to be). so far I have been looking at Sennheiser HD380 (same price as the HD280 in England) mostly, but I just KNOW I will have missed a million other fantastic options, which is why I am here! Comfort is also very important to me. 

I am only 17 so I'm afraid I really cannot go much higher than £100, depending on how much better they would really be.

Thanks in advance, Chris 

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13,709 of 29,490
Do  you really need ANC (active noise cancelling) some headphones with good passive noise cancelling cut the job + they sound better too !
ANC headphones are expensive too. You could try looking at the SHURE SRH 440 or AT M50. Both of these phones should have good isolation, I tested the shure's isolation in very noisy envoirments and found myself quite impressed :).

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #13,710 of 29,490

Looking for headphones that will be used for gaming, music, and movies.  Gaming isn't a high priority but I'd prefer open headphones for sound stage as I do play fps once in awhile. I listen to everything from hip hop, electronic, classical, jazz.  I really enjoy listening to female vocals.  Bass is important to me also, especially with movies.

I searched around for reviews and could not find a headphone that would have good soundstage, bass, and good mids (for vocals),  I was thinking the head phone that almost met my criteria were the DT990s.  Ultrasone 2400 was another option but I read that the mids were also recessed just like the DT990s.  Any other suggestions for open back headphones?

My budget is about $250 and I will buy an amp if I have to.  I will definitely buy a soundcard for dolby headphone though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back