++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #13,726 of 29,490
So after some reviewing, I think I'm going to go with the DT880.  If the open design proves to be a big deal I can just use my HD280 Pro at night and save the DT880 for when I'm by myself or listening to music on my D2+ on the other side of the house.

Next question then, for those familiar with the DT880:  any recommendations on an amp that complements it?  Portability isn't really a concern, though I would prefer it not take up too much space.  I don't usually find myself out and about with headphones except when running, and I'm not likely to be sporting full size headphones when I do that.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #13,727 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I don't have the HD598, it is someone elses. Would I get a similar result from Q701 + Fiio e17? The Beyerdynamics are probably nice but I really have something against their style. I really want to go for a Q701 but if it isn't as good as the HD598 or is a very different sound than I will probably stick to your suggestion of HD598 + amp.

Having HD558's (which are very similar to 598's) and Q701's, I'd say Q701's are in a different league in terms of overall sound quality. Sound signatures are a bit different, Q701's is more natural, and its clarity and details are much ahead of 558's.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #13,728 of 29,490

Quote:
So after some reviewing, I think I'm going to go with the DT880.  If the open design proves to be a big deal I can just use my HD280 Pro at night and save the DT880 for when I'm by myself or listening to music on my D2+ on the other side of the house.

Next question then, for those familiar with the DT880:  any recommendations on an amp that complements it?  Portability isn't really a concern, though I would prefer it not take up too much space.  I don't usually find myself out and about with headphones except when running, and I'm not likely to be sporting full size headphones when I do that.

Little Dot MkII or MkIII would be great choices for under 200$.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #13,729 of 29,490
Just over your budget, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro.

Quote:
Hello everyone

Just registered to ask for a recommendation

Budget: $150
Genre: Rock, New Age, Jpop/Anime
Sound signature: I like bass.  Probably along the line of moderate/heavy
Usage: Mostly gaming.  I'd like a well-balanced headset that won't crap out on music, though.
Open/Closed: I heard that open headphones have a larger soundstage.  Noise isn't really a problem, since I live alone.
Previous Cans: Plantronics GameCom 377 (feel free to laugh)

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #13,731 of 29,490

Quote:

There are three types of DT880......32 ohm, 250 ohm and 600 ohm (they are all the same price I think.) Get the 32 ohm, and you do not need an amp. For the 250 ohm and the 600 ohm, you must get an amp.  http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333809897&sr=8-1

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #13,732 of 29,490
The ATH-M50 is a fine recommendation.

Quote:
Open back headphones tend to have less bass. I'm going to guess people will suggest audio technica m50 or something along the lines since you want bass. Wait for their responses as I only have personal experience with 1 headphone in this price range and I don't think it will be a great fit for you.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #13,733 of 29,490

Quote:
Having HD558's (which are very similar to 598's) and Q701's, I'd say Q701's are in a different league in terms of overall sound quality. Sound signatures are a bit different, Q701's is more natural, and its clarity and details are much ahead of 558's.

I see. Seems to be the same thing that KG is telling me, that they might not have the same 'kind' of sound. I might try and find a place where I can test these headsets in Toronto but that may be hard, Also, is there any good recommendations in terms of being like the HD598 but better in the bass? What is the direct upgrade of these headphones without going to something like the HD650 that requires something powerful to drive?

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #13,734 of 29,490

Quote:
I see. Seems to be the same thing that KG is telling me, that they might not have the same 'kind' of sound. I might try and find a place where I can test these headsets in Toronto but that may be hard, Also, is there any good recommendations in terms of being like the HD598 but better in the bass? What is the direct upgrade of these headphones without going to something like the HD650 that requires something powerful to drive?

Nope the next step up is the HD 600 or HD 650--both crave amping.  The 598 is considered by most to be the cream of the crop at what it does in its price range (especially before those prices were increased a couple months ago by way of Senn's MAP).

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #13,735 of 29,490
Ok, if I was to consider the HD600, would I get good improvement just driving them from an e17? I really love the warm sound of the HD598 so I think the Quincy is really out of the equation here.

Thanks for all the guidance so far.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #13,736 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok, if I was to consider the HD600, would I get good improvement just driving them from an e17? I really love the warm sound of the HD598 so I think the Quincy is really out of the equation here.

Thanks for all the guidance so far.

The HD 600 is more neutral and less warm than the 598.  I don't have the 650--and have only listened to it for a short period of time, but from what I have read, its sound signature is probably much closer to that of the 598.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #13,737 of 29,490

Quote:
That poses a real dilemma.  In that price range I can't think of an open can that will give you the bass that you want--with all the other things on your list.  The Senn HD 558 is an excellent can, but I think you'll be unhappy with its bottom end.  Maybe the Beyer DT 880 Pro would work for you--but it's outside our budget by at least $25.

Another option would be to go with the closed Ultrasone Pro 750, which has S-Logic Surround (which some like and some don't).

Hmm.  Yeah I was afraid you'd say that.  Based on what I have searched so far, I haven't seen a post with headphones that can do all that with my budget.  I am willing to increase my budget to about $300 though.  I'll look into the other headphones you mentioned.  

If I could buy any headphone from $0-$350, what would you recommend then?  I may just save up some more.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #13,738 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD 600 is more neutral and less warm than the 598.  I don't have the 650--and have only listened to it for a short period of time, but from what I have read, its sound signature is probably much closer to that of the 598.

Wow, the 650 is double the price on Amazon. I see it as $500 compared to HD 598. If I was to consider this headphone, would I get a much better sound just driving it from something like an e17? I hear those things can't run properly without a true full sized amp that is gonna cost me $300 or something. I could consider getting a full sized amp but I won't consider spending more than $200 on one and that would be REALLY stretching things.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #13,739 of 29,490

Quote:

Wow, the 650 is double the price on Amazon. I see it as $500 compared to HD 598. If I was to consider this headphone, would I get a much better sound just driving it from something like an e17? I hear those things can't run properly without a true full sized amp that is gonna cost me $300 or something. I could consider getting a full sized amp but I won't consider spending more than $200 on one and that would be REALLY stretching things.

Two points--to repeat what I said earlier, I'd go with the Q 701.

I use the $169 at Amazon Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp with my HD 600 and it does just fine.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #13,740 of 29,490

Quote:
Hmm.  Yeah I was afraid you'd say that.  Based on what I have searched so far, I haven't seen a post with headphones that can do all that with my budget.  I am willing to increase my budget to about $300 though.  I'll look into the other headphones you mentioned.  

If I could buy any headphone from $0-$350, what would you recommend then?  I may just save up some more.

Ultrasone Pro 750 (closed) if you like a bright sounding can.

Denon AH D-2000 (closed & probably in new open box) if you like a darker sound.

The Ultrasone wins on sound stage and the Denon on bass & sub-bass (the Ultrasone is good--just not as good concerning bass).

To get the bass you want in an open can, the Beyer DT 880 Pro might work for you.  If not, the way over your budget Senn HD 650 and HiFiMan HE500 would probably be the next steps up the ladder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back