++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #13,681 of 29,490
my denon ahd5000's just came in the mail! :D does anyone know of a good headphone stand or something that would just keep them off of laying on my desk? i want to showcase these things as much as possible, haha!

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #13,682 of 29,490
Hey, quick question all.

Can anyone recommend Audio-Technica's AD700's? I'm interested in them, as I've only ever owned closed cans and am interested in a high-quality open-ended pair that won't break my bank. I do literally listen to everything, no exceptions. Are these a good choice, or are there better open-ended cans for that price range (~$160)? Just as a note, I would be willing to spend up to about $300, if that helps with recommendations. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #13,683 of 29,490

Quote:
I am new to this and would like some opinions on my first purchase of higher quality headphones.  I am looking in the $150-200 range. I listen to a variety of music genres/subgenres including Dance/Trance/Techno/Dubstep/Rap/Hip Hop/Rock/Metal/Pop/Electronic/Classical.  I am looking for something that lets me enjoy this wide variety of music and will last me a while.

Also can anyone recommend some good DJ headphones around the same price range. Thanks!

The popular choices in that range are the M50s, HFI780s, SRH840s, and HD25s, all of which are good choices. Is there a particular sound signature you're looking for?

Quote:

I'm looking for a new pair of closed-back circumaural headphones for use in the office.  I'm a web developer, and I work in a large, open room with other employees nearby (including the Help Desk, which gets a lot of phone calls).

Currently using:
Sennheiser HD 515: These used to be my main headphones at home before I upgraded to the HD 558.  Since they're open-back, isolation is pretty much non-existent.  I rarely ever use these.
Panasonic RP-HC55: As you'd expect from noise-cancelling IEMs, isolation is amazing.  Unfortunately, I can only wear these for 2 hours at the most before they become too uncomfortable.

Main priorties:
Noise Isolation:  As a developer, being able to shut out the outside world is very desirable.  It allows me to better focus on my work, and get into "the zone".  But just as important -- if not more -- is preventing sound from leaking out.  My taste in music includes a number of guilty pleasures, so I sure as hell don't anybody to hear what I'm listening to. lol
Comfort: I plan to be wearing my headphones for several hours a day, so they definitely need to be comfortable.

Other important factors:
Sound Quality:  Obviously sound quality is important, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this on head-fi.  That being said, the above criteria take precedence, so I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for better isolation and/or comfort.
No Need for Amplification:  Even though these headphones will only be used in the office, I'm going to be doing all my listening from my laptop (which I pack up and take home everyday).  So I'd rather not have the extra step -- and clutter -- of connecting/disconnecting an amp.  Plus, there's the additional costs involved, as well as the time/effort to research what amp to purchase.

Type of Headphones:
Style: Closed-back circumaural headphones.  I'm open to either active noise-cancelling or passive noise isolation.
Characteristics: I enjoy listening to hip hop, and I used to be very into car audio. So I definitely love me some bass.  But I like clean, tight bass with nice impact, not the overpowering, diarrhea sound crap you hear people bumping from their Civics.  I love to feel the beat, but I've always believed that it's the highs/mids that should shine.  Especially since I like to listen to Alternative Rock and Pop as well.  And some of my guilty pleasures that I've mentioned above are slow songs with strong female vocals.  I am aware that I'm unlikely to find headphones of any kind that'll give me the best of both worlds.  That's why I've still yet to replace my HD 558s (I love these headphones, but they suck for Hip Hop).  So I'm not expecting much.  And like I said, isolation and comfort are the most important factors.

What I'll be listening to:
Music:  90% of my listening will music.  Although, I won't be listening to a lot of FLACs (that's for home).  I'll be listening mostly to streaming sites like Last.fm, TuneIn, and Spotify.  So the source won't be of the highest quality, so I'll want some fun headphones that are forgiving.
Movies/TV: Every now and then, I'll be in the mood to stream something from Netflix.  I typically like to listen to comedy since I don't need to pay very much attention.  But if it's a slow day at work, I'll pull up an action or drama flick and get paid to watch that for 2 hours.  lol

Music Genres:
Hip Hop/Rap: 40%
Alternative Rock: 30%
Pop/Top 40: 20%
If you live in Souther California, basically the stuff you hear on Power, KROQ, and KIIS.

Price range:
Under $300.

For isolation and Comfort, the Brainwavz HM5 is a good choice, but it has a more neutral sound that might not work as well for hip-hop and the like. Depending on what you consider to be comfortable, DJ-style headphones like the M50s may also be an option, but they clamp more and do get uncomfortable eventually.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #13,684 of 29,490

Quote:
my denon ahd5000's just came in the mail! :D does anyone know of a good headphone stand or something that would just keep them off of laying on my desk? i want to showcase these things as much as possible, haha!

There's a long thread on the subject, which begins here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/523324/new-headphone-stand

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #13,685 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, quick question all.

Can anyone recommend Audio-Technica's AD700's? I'm interested in them, as I've only ever owned closed cans and am interested in a high-quality open-ended pair that won't break my bank. I do literally listen to everything, no exceptions. Are these a good choice, or are there better open-ended cans for that price range (~$160)? Just as a note, I would be willing to spend up to about $300, if that helps with recommendations. Thanks!

The AD700s are famous for having an amazing soundstage, but are a pretty bass-light headphones. Assuming you don't have an amp, other choices could be the Sennheiser HD558/598s.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #13,686 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, quick question all.

You can get into some of the best mid-fi cans with the increased budget.  The Senn HD 598's are worthy, as are the Beyer DT 880 Pro (semi open). 

My choice for open cans in this price range is the AKG Q 701.  It has bass but is not for bass lovers.  What it delivers is outstanding clarity and an excellent sound stage in a ever so slightly warm wrapper.  You can still pick it up open box for under $230 and new for $10 to $20 more--with a little patience and shopping (in the U.S.).

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #13,687 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, quick question all.

I own a pair of AD700s and recommend them.  Please note that they are currently about $105 from amazon---only about $1 less than when I bought them in October, 2008!  I would not pay $160 for them.  Also, I am sure you are aware that some have reported problems with fit.  By the way, as I type this, I am listening to music with the MEElectronics A151 IEMs that my daughter re-sent me (used) yesterday; she prefers closed circumaural headphones.  (I had sent her one of each type as a gift, so do not fell sorry for her
smily_headphones1.gif
.) I noticed from your signature that you have some A151s too.  The A151s seem to be extremely sensitive and emphasize hiss when I listen to CDs on my office Sharp CD-DK890 mini component system; however, they sound very good with my Android phone (320Kps MP3 source)---maybe there in impedance mismatch with the Sharp.  Is this a trait of balanced armature headphones?  My Xears XE200Pro IEMs are more uniform across sources.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #13,688 of 29,490
A year or two ago I bought my triplefi's pretty cheap in the wake of an amazon blowout. 

Now I'm interested in getting some full size headphones. Specific recommendations are welcome, but my real question is how much money I need to spend to match the quality of the triplefi's. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #13,689 of 29,490

Quote:
A year or two ago I bought my triplefi's pretty cheap in the wake of an amazon blowout. 

Now I'm interested in getting some full size headphones. Specific recommendations are welcome, but my real question is how much money I need to spend to match the quality of the triplefi's. 

You'll have to help many of us with more info about these IEM's and/or the sound they deliver.  I know nothing about them.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #13,690 of 29,490
The Sennheiser HD598 will beat the triple.fi 10 and has a similar sound signature. It would run you $200-250, maybe cheaper used. If you want something portable, the ATH-M50's beat the triple.fi 10, too (or at least pretty even) and can be found for $120 at sound professionals. The ATH-M50s are portable and closed; the HD598 is open and not portable.

Quote:

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #13,691 of 29,490

Quote:
For isolation and Comfort, the Brainwavz HM5 is a good choice, but it has a more neutral sound that might not work as well for hip-hop and the like. Depending on what you consider to be comfortable, DJ-style headphones like the M50s may also be an option, but they clamp more and do get uncomfortable eventually.

The M50s probably won't work for me then.  I want to be able to put the headphones on and forget they're even there.

As for the HM5, how does the isolation and comfort compare to the Beyer DT 700 Pro-80?  I almost bought a pair, but I couldn't find them new anywhere other than on eBay.  But it might have been for the best, as I'm reading that they're not very forgiving and will make lower quality sources sound very bad.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #13,693 of 29,490
Hey im decideing on the M-Audio Q40s and the Shure 440s im wanting clarity and good bass but not too much, I can get the Q40s for $115 and the 440s for $90 i also want the pads NOT to rest on my ears (the 440s look like they wont do that to me bc their oval shaped) they both have detachable cables so thats a major plus for me im gonna be buying a fiio e5 amp so their gonna b amped, im gonna be listening to metal and rock (Avenged Sevenfold and Three Days Grace) so which one would be better suited for that? right now i have skullcandy titans and i really love their sound sig (its not crazy wavy like most other headphones)  but im wanting to upgrade to closed cans
so if you guys could help that would save me soo many headaches 

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #13,695 of 29,490

Quote:
Unfortunately, isolation comes from clamping... unless you want to go with iems.

Quote:
The M50s probably won't work for me then.  I want to be able to put the headphones on and forget they're even there.

Well, from everything I've heard, the HM5s isolate well and are comfortable, so that's why I suggested them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back