++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #13,036 of 29,490

Quote:
Is the ASUS Xonar Essence ST worthwhile?

Good multimedia card, good for movies (Dolby Digital, Dolby Virtual Headphone) and music, decent for gaming.
Dedicated headphone amplifier, works with high Ohm headphones, 3 swappable op-amps (operational amplifiers)
For around $65 you can add the H6 card, lets you do analog 7.1 speaker and you swap op-amps on the H6 too.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #13,037 of 29,490

Quote:
Good multimedia card, good for movies (Dolby Digital, Dolby Virtual Headphone) and music, decent for gaming.
Dedicated headphone amplifier, works with high Ohm headphones, 3 swappable op-amps (operational amplifiers)
For around $65 you can add the H6 card, lets you do analog 7.1 speaker and you swap op-amps on the H6 too.

I assume that you mean lack of hardware OpenAL, EAX support up to version 2 and reduced positional cues accuracy pass as "decent for gaming". It's certainly better than a pure music DAC with no gaming features at all.

The Asus Xonar Essence ST is not a gaming card by any measure, the gaming features were added by Asus as an afterthought in hopes of competing with Creative X-Fi cards, albeit unsuccessfully.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #13,038 of 29,490
Any help for me too? :D I must choose my new headphones soon, I am waiting it for about 2 months, I cant study without good sound on my ears. So, can anyone tell me differences between HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598? What are their characteristics? Bass?, mids?, does they sound well with E11?, Bass?, Bass?... Well, I guess bass wont let me ignore him. But i seek quality, not quantity. Should go deep, and shouldn't put his nose to mids. What is upper side of HD 598 over other two?

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #13,039 of 29,490

Quote:
Any help for me too?
biggrin.gif
I must choose my new headphones soon, I am waiting it for about 2 months, I cant study without good sound on my ears. So, can anyone tell me differences between HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598? What are their characteristics? Bass?, mids?, does they sound well with E11?, Bass?, Bass?... Well, I guess bass wont let me ignore him. But i seek quality, not quantity. Should go deep, and shouldn't put his nose to mids. What is upper side of HD 598 over other two?

The Senn HD518 is the better choice for unamped connections, but the HD558 & HD598 will improve the most with a headphone amplifier.
The HD598 will offer the best mids and highs.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #13,040 of 29,490
My headphones broke, so I need new ones!

I'm looking for something that'll be good with movies and the sort. I will also be using it to listen to music, all kinds, from George Barnett to Skrilly and everything in between. Ska, punk, psychobilly, jazz, dubstep, dixieland, celtic punk, indie. I listen to lots of things. Not electronic though. The only electronic I like is dubstep.  However, I'd prefer them to have smooth-ish highs, I don't do well with highs. Not completely damp, but just not harsh. I'll be using them with my computer, iPod Nano, TV and PSP so eq'ing isn't really an option......is it?
One this is I want it to be comfortable as possible. I want to be able to wear them for long periods of time and still have my ears feeling happy.
Headphones I've previously used before are Grado SR60i's (they're the ones that broke), which I really liked except for the earpads, which i hated with a burning passion because they were uncomfortable and stuff kept getting stuck in them, and the harshness of it sometimes. Very nice to listen to, but a few weeks ago I put them on after fixing them (they lasted 5 minutes) and immedietly thought "WHERE'S THE BASS GONE?!" I've also used the Brainwavz Beta v2 (loved it, but a bit harsh high up and they also broke) and Sony EXPL90, which is one of the IEM's I'm using currently. 
Suggest any headphones and/or IEM's you think would fit this. Pretty much ANYTHING you think will do it. Open/closed, I don't care. 

Howeeevvvvveeeer, the big problem is right now I only have $15-20 max. I understand that there is no headphone that can do this for that amount of money, but I'm begging you guys, please, help me find something comfortable and at least somewhat good sounding. I'm getting tired of my $5 over ear headphones. They're actually not too bad, very nice sounding for the price (I'm assuming they're $5 because of how cheap they feel, really they're prolly like $20-$30.), but they're uncomfortable and my ears get hot, plus they give me a headache after like an hour. So will you guys help me? Pweese?

(One thing I've been interested in is BA IEM's. I know they're quite a bit more then $20, but what do you guys think of them?

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #13,041 of 29,490

Quote:
My headphones broke, so I need new ones!

I'm looking for something that'll be good with movies and the sort. I will also be using it to listen to music, all kinds, from George Barnett to Skrilly and everything in between. Ska, punk, psychobilly, jazz, dubstep, dixieland, celtic punk, indie. I listen to lots of things. Not electronic though. The only electronic I like is dubstep.  However, I'd prefer them to have smooth-ish highs, I don't do well with highs. Not completely damp, but just not harsh. I'll be using them with my computer, iPod Nano, TV and PSP so eq'ing isn't really an option......is it?
One this is I want it to be comfortable as possible. I want to be able to wear them for long periods of time and still have my ears feeling happy.
Headphones I've previously used before are Grado SR60i's (they're the ones that broke), which I really liked except for the earpads, which i hated with a burning passion because they were uncomfortable and stuff kept getting stuck in them, and the harshness of it sometimes. Very nice to listen to, but a few weeks ago I put them on after fixing them (they lasted 5 minutes) and immedietly thought "WHERE'S THE BASS GONE?!" I've also used the Brainwavz Beta v2 (loved it, but a bit harsh high up and they also broke) and Sony EXPL90, which is one of the IEM's I'm using currently. 
Suggest any headphones and/or IEM's you think would fit this. Pretty much ANYTHING you think will do it. Open/closed, I don't care. 

Howeeevvvvveeeer, the big problem is right now I only have $15-20 max. I understand that there is no headphone that can do this for that amount of money, but I'm begging you guys, please, help me find something comfortable and at least somewhat good sounding. I'm getting tired of my $5 over ear headphones. They're actually not too bad, very nice sounding for the price (I'm assuming they're $5 because of how cheap they feel, really they're prolly like $20-$30.), but they're uncomfortable and my ears get hot, plus they give me a headache after like an hour. So will you guys help me? Pweese?

(One thing I've been interested in is BA IEM's. I know they're quite a bit more then $20, but what do you guys think of them?

Get the Koss UR20..... You can get them for 20 dollars.............. And they can compete with headphones at 50 dollars..... Seriously... :) Or you can consider the Sennheiser HD 201, which is similarly priced, maybe like five dollars more. If you can stretch your budget 10 dollars more, you can get the amazing Superlux HD681. 
beyersmile.png

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #13,042 of 29,490
For cheap phones I recommend the MEElectronics RT-21. $30 I prefer them over any of the similarly priced Koss phones. My impressions are in my Austin 2012 link in my signature.

http://www.meelec.com/category_s/348.htm

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #13,044 of 29,490
Thanks guys, but I dunno.
I looked at reviews of the Superlux and it didn't seem comfortable, and people didn't seem to favor the Koss's sound, calling it 'hollow'. If there's one thing I hate in this world about headphones, it's that.  The MEElectronics didnn't look too bad, but I don't do well with on-ear's in terms of comfort.  Lemme reword what I want and get my priorities in order

I want the most comfortable headphones that still sounds good, up to $20. 

Comfort>Sound>Everything else

Sorry, I know, I'm a picky screwer (esp. over $20 cans), but I almost never get to buy headphones. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #13,045 of 29,490
Thanks guys, I am going to buy HD 518, its a better p/p option and I am a student :D So, I will get them for 140$ including international shipping. How is this price?

One last question, How much money should I spend for amp? Is a 75$ Fiio E11 too much for HD 518? Is HD 518 benefits as 75$ sounding form E11? :D Or is it silly to get a 75$ amp for a 140$ headphone?

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #13,046 of 29,490
Hello! Please help me!

Need some advice, looking for something: 

Price range: up to £120 GBP. Source: iPod touch 3rd gen + Laptop. 

1) That has the best sound quality for this price range. 
2) Has amazing bass that is there and can be felt but is not overpowering/doesn't bleed very much. 
3) Looks amazing!
4) Is "lively" and "interesting" and "fun" to listen to. 
4) Is portable.
5) Is comfortable. 

Please help!

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #13,047 of 29,490

Guys I dont want to start a new thread !!

I am going to buy my 1st headphone in coming few days.

I have saved up cash for 4 months now and therefore I want to get it right.

I am confused between ath m50 and dt770.

I love to listen to metal and I want a headphone which I can use while on long walks to my college and etc.

Also if I get dt770 do I need an amp? [was thinking of getting 80 ohm]
Please help !!

I was going to buy m50 but many said they are overrated bassy phones.

I loved dt770 for comfort and look but do they play metal well?

My favourite bands are . . 

slipknot
megadeth
metallica
amon amarath
cob
log
coldplay
linkin park
pink flyod

Please help me !!

Ty a lot !!

sorry for my poor english !!

I am tired of searching head fi forums with endless threads :frowning2:
Its confusing me further !!
Just help a poor soul out !!

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #13,048 of 29,490

Quote:
Guys I don't want to start a new thread !!
I love to listen to metal and I want a headphone which I can use while on long walks to my college and etc.
Please help !!
slipknot
megadeth
metallica
amon amarath
cob
log
coldplay
linkin park
pink flyod
Please help me !!
Ty a lot !!

Some portable audio players will not have enough power to drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm to their best.
I really recommend buying a headphone amplifier for use with the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
A Fiio E11 or a cmoy would work great.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #13,049 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks guys, but I dunno.
I looked at reviews of the Superlux and it didn't seem comfortable, and people didn't seem to favor the Koss's sound, calling it 'hollow'. If there's one thing I hate in this world about headphones, it's that.  The MEElectronics didnn't look too bad, but I don't do well with on-ear's in terms of comfort.  Lemme reword what I want and get my priorities in order

I want the most comfortable headphones that still sounds good, up to $20. 

Comfort>Sound>Everything else

Sorry, I know, I'm a picky screwer (esp. over $20 cans), but I almost never get to buy headphones. 

Ohhh. Get the Sony MDR-ZX100 ($19.99)...... Even though they are on ear, they are extremely comfortable headphones. Or you can get the Audio Technica ATH-T200........ (On sale for $11.99!!!!!!!!!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-T200-Closed-back-Monitor-Headphones-/120878024083?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c24e44593#ht_2323wt_1107

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #13,050 of 29,490

Quote:

Guys I dont want to start a new thread !!

Please help !!

slipknot
megadeth
metallica
amon amarath
cob
log
coldplay
linkin park
pink flyod

Please help me !!

Ty a lot !!

Walking with the 770 in warm or hot weather would not be ideal in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back