++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #12,916 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger, took PurpleAngels advice and went for the 250Ω DT-880.
 I saw them for 233€ @ Amazon instead of 299€ @ Beyerdynamic, so I ninja-ordered.
Turns out that the X-Fi Titanium HD can power them just fine, no need for further amping at all heh saves me 500 bucks.
They were a little shy on bass, so I fed them +4dB @ 62Hz and +2.4 @125Hz and now the bass is like rolling thunder.
(Probably too much for people with normal hearing but I'm a little impaired due to scarring tissue on my eardrums.)
The 1Vrms or  1.4Vpp of the headphone out get me a nice volume, I can't reach my pain threshold but I wouldn't want to do that anyway.
Comfortable listening volume for long periods lies around 50%.
I'm very happy right now, being able to put the need for better audio equipment to rest and wanted to thank you for your input.

For $10 you could get two LME49860NA op-amps, to replace the two JRC2114 in there right now.
The LME49720HAs in the Titanium HD are fairly good and a little more of a hassle to update.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #12,917 of 29,490
I'm seeking guidance. I'm wondering if anybody thinks this ebay seller is selling legit Sr-009 headphones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-SR-009-Open-Back-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-/390394826414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae5584eae

I don't want to get ripped off at that price point. Is there a way to tell after receiving the item?

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #12,918 of 29,490

Quote:

Always been a Grado person,  but seeing this forum and skimming various threads has me interested in trying the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000.

Like :   Allesandro MS1, Magnums, RS1's, AKG Sextettes

Ok with: AT M30's (good signature but they were too muddy)

Not impressed with : Grado RS2's, HF2's  (too thin in midrange)

Hate: Senn 650, Senn 595. AKG501's  (way way to distant mids)

Given the above quirky preferences are the AD2000's worth a try,  is there a less expensive "version" to try first ?

There's an AD1000, but I don't know how it compares...

Quote:
Okay, so I posted a few days ago about wanting a pair of headphones. Open, under 350$, for listening to music at home, mostly mellow stuff but probably would have listened to more chaotic stuff from time to time. My options felt like they boiled down to HD600s and AKG Q701s. With the AD900 seeming to be disregarded right away. Here's the original post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/12870#post_8210878

I was told that HD600s were probably the most balanced and forgiving ones (between that and the 701s). But the 701s were better value because the HD600s are $400 now.

"HD600's would probably the most balanced ones overall" "HD650's tolerate everything and will sound decent with anything. However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless" "The Senns are the best of the three, but they are now priced at $400--and apparently this is a firm price (at least for now) due to Senn's new MAP policy."

But I've found some HD600s between 265-300$ (on Australian sites, which is extremely convenient) so I think I'll just go with that - not interested in the 701s anymore. But now... I'm hearing the HD598s are probably better...

So right now I'm torn between HD600 and HD598 (both are at very similar prices).

And also need a DAC/Amp that I could use out of my laptop, looking at
-Fiio E17
-Audinst MX1
-Yulong U100

Asgard + HRT II

Suggestions, please?

I don't think anyone says that the 598s sound better than the 600s when they're both well-amped, though the 598s might sound better out of a laptop. The Asgard should probably be good enough for you to tell the difference, though I'll leave anything more specific to people who have owned them. Also, have you tried looking in any appreciation threads?

Quote:
Are the Eskuche 45's any good? I just found out about them today and I am curious about them.

Never heard of the Brand or the model, though the one review on Amazon seems to indicate they're very bassy. (Not that Amazon reviews are all that trustworthy though)

Quote:
I'm seeking guidance. I'm wondering if anybody thinks this ebay seller is selling legit Sr-009 headphones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-SR-009-Open-Back-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-/390394826414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae5584eae

I don't want to get ripped off at that price point. Is there a way to tell after receiving the item?

Well, they are a top seller, so chances are they're probably legit. However, the price difference from an authorized dealer like Woo Audio is only $200, and at this price, you have to ask yourself if that $200 is really worth the risk.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #12,919 of 29,490

Quote:

Always been a Grado person,  but seeing this forum and skimming various threads has me interested in trying the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000.

Like :   Allesandro MS1, Magnums, RS1's, AKG Sextettes

Ok with: AT M30's (good signature but they were too muddy)

Not impressed with : Grado RS2's, HF2's  (too thin in midrange)

Hate: Senn 650, Senn 595. AKG501's  (way way to distant mids)

Given the above quirky preferences are the AD2000's worth a try,  is there a less expensive "version" to try first ?

It sounds as though you prefer a roughly balanced but forward sound (of your "likes" I only have the MS1).  If that is the case--and especially if you appreciate bass and sub/bass without going over the top with it--you should give the Denon AH-D2000 a try or at least a good audition.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #12,920 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, so I posted a few days ago about wanting a pair of headphones. Open, under 350$, for listening to music at home, mostly mellow stuff but probably would have listened to more chaotic stuff from time to time. My options felt like they boiled down to HD600s and AKG Q701s. With the AD900 seeming to be disregarded right away. Here's the original post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/12870#post_8210878

I was told that HD600s were probably the most balanced and forgiving ones (between that and the 701s). But the 701s were better value because the HD600s are $400 now.

"HD600's would probably the most balanced ones overall" "HD650's tolerate everything and will sound decent with anything. However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless" "The Senns are the best of the three, but they are now priced at $400--and apparently this is a firm price (at least for now) due to Senn's new MAP policy."

But I've found some HD600s between 265-300$ (on Australian sites, which is extremely convenient) so I think I'll just go with that - not interested in the 701s anymore. But now... I'm hearing the HD598s are probably better...

So right now I'm torn between HD600 and HD598 (both are at very similar prices).

And also need a DAC/Amp that I could use out of my laptop, looking at
-Fiio E17
-Audinst MX1
-Yulong U100

Asgard + HRT II

Suggestions, please?

I have the 600 and have never heard the 598.  I believe that the 600 is a later effort that may have, perhaps after a time, replaced the 598 in the Senn lin-up.

From what I have read, the vast majority of "reviewers" prefer the unmodded 600 to the unmodded 598.  A little research on these board and elsewhere is probably worth your time.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #12,921 of 29,490

Quote:
I have the 600 and have never heard the 598.  I believe that the 600 is a later effort that may have, perhaps after a time, replaced the 598 in the Senn lin-up.

This isn't right. The 598 replaced the 595 a few years back. The 600 was released 1996 and was the flagship at the time.

I have the Asgard and the 600s.  Everyone says they pair very well with each other, and I agree.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #12,922 of 29,490

Quote:
This isn't right. The 598 replaced the 595 a few years back. The 600 was released 1996 and was the flagship at the time.

I have the Asgard and the 600s.  Everyone says they pair very well with each other, and I agree.

Sorry--I confused the 580 with the 598.

I have the 598 and think they are a great can--especially at their pre MAP pricing.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #12,923 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok I have a budget of £150 for a pair of closed cans and I've narrowed it down to the following:
1. Ultrasone PRO550
2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 LE
3. Audio Technica PRO700Mk2
To be driven by an iPhone 4 and probably either Fiio E7 or E11 (only have the iPhone right now). Music is acoustic, classical, jazz, hiphop, drum&bass, dubstep, house.. Just about anything.
I'm going round in circles reading reviews and comparisons, and I really can't decide. They'll be worn mainly while commuting on the train. Yes to comfort and prefer detachable cables, no to leakage.
I own a pair of Denon C751s, and after 3 years of constant abuse they sound muddy and claustrophobic. I like the idea of the Ultrasone's soundstage for when I'm not listening to electronic music, and I'm wondering if I really need a basshead headphone, but I don't want to be disappointed when I'm in the mood for some skull shaking bass.
If I could justify the money I would get PRO 900's for travel and Q701's for when I'm at home!

Can anyone else give their $0.02 please?

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #12,924 of 29,490

Quote:
Can anyone else give their $0.02 please?

First off, if you like detachable cables, the ATH-M50s are out. The Pro700MK2 is really meant for bassy music. You like listening to all genres, and the pro700mk2s are really not good all rounders. Those are out, which leaves you with the Pro 550. Get the Pro 550 out of the three. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #12,925 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think anyone says that the 598s sound better than the 600s when they're both well-amped, though the 598s might sound better out of a laptop. The Asgard should probably be good enough for you to tell the difference, though I'll leave anything more specific to people who have owned them. Also, have you tried looking in any appreciation threads?

Quote:

From what I have read, the vast majority of "reviewers" prefer the unmodded 600 to the unmodded 598.  A little research on these board and elsewhere is probably worth your time.

Researched quite a bit, but it looked like the only really scathing comment against the 600 was seen as out of the ordinary by the general consensus.

Just went with the HD600s, because overall it had better reviews and comments + it looks nicer to me haha.

So... spent roughly $830 before I went to bed. On HD600, Asgard (ridiculous shipping cost) and the HRT. Plus shipping, oh god the shipping. Most I've spent on my own, all at once, haha. I hope it's worth it and the HD600s don't end up being fake or something. Thanks for all your help!

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #12,927 of 29,490
Hi Everyone,
First time poster, but have peaked into this forum for years. I finally decided that I listen to so much music at work, it would be worth investing in a good setup ($800 max for phones + a dac). I listen to about 70% classical, but also regularly listen to house and rap. I began narrowing down the headphones to the sd600 or k701s, but when I mentioned them to my friend, he informed me that they are open back headphones and wouldn't be good for work (I work in a room with a few people). I would also use these phones at home/on the go at times. Would these phones disturb my coworkers by hearing whatever I am listening to?

I am starting to consider the denon d5000s, but am also considering getting 2 cheaper sets of phones (one open, one closed) for a similar overall price as the d5000s.

Any recommendations for a good headphone/amp combo based off of the above would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey Guys,
Sorry to bump this, but I figure posts easily get lost in this thread. Does anyone have any good advice based off of what I posted above? Thanks again!!

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #12,928 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Sorry to bump this, but I figure posts easily get lost in this thread. Does anyone have any good advice based off of what I posted above? Thanks again!!

Since your preferred Genres seem to be very disparate, maybe get a pair of Q701s for classical and the D2000s for the hip-hop. Keep in mind though you'll only be able to use the D2000s at work. Unfortunately, closed cans are generally not the best for the soundstage required for classical. No idea about the amps, though.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #12,930 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to get a good pair of cans for an iPhone. I prefer over the ear to in-ear as a matter of comfort. Most of my songs are are 320 kbps AAC files, and I have a bunch of FLACs on my computer that I would also like to listen to. Probably won't invest in any additional equipment in the near future. I was looking at the Denon AHD2000 headphones as I believe they are also closed cans (preferable but not necessary), and do a good job with handling some of the lossier quality music. 

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Good choice.  Grados are very nice too (I use RS-1 with mine) but for the price I prefer the Denons.  The price you pay for such good sound is that they are not really closed.  They will block a little bit of leakage but they will not block external sounds very much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back