++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #12,901 of 29,490

Quote:
the pro700mk2 is EXACTLY like the le edition :). It's a big upgrade over the ws-55, and has even more bass.

thanks man, the sales clerk told me the le edition has newer drivers... ha! screw him, good thing theres head-fi,,,
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #12,902 of 29,490
Ok I have a budget of £150 for a pair of closed cans and I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Ultrasone PRO550
2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 LE
3. Audio Technica PRO700Mk2

To be driven by an iPhone 4 and probably either Fiio E7 or E11 (only have the iPhone right now). Music is acoustic, classical, jazz, hiphop, drum&bass, dubstep, house.. Just about anything.

I'm going round in circles reading reviews and comparisons, and I really can't decide. They'll be worn mainly while commuting on the train. Yes to comfort and prefer detachable cables, no to leakage.

I own a pair of Denon C751s, and after 3 years of constant abuse they sound muddy and claustrophobic. I like the idea of the Ultrasone's soundstage for when I'm not listening to electronic music, and I'm wondering if I really need a basshead headphone, but I don't want to be disappointed when I'm in the mood for some skull shaking bass.

If I could justify the money I would get PRO 900's for travel and Q701's for when I'm at home!

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #12,904 of 29,490
I am going into college and i am looking for the best possible headphones for use without an amp (less than $200).  I will be using these with my ipod/cellphone and on my laptop.  I looked at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-100-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-oldskool-70-and-oldskool-rpm-33-1-3-added-03-01-12 and narrowed it down to the Numark PHX Pros and the Audio Technica M50 which one is the better value or better for my needs?

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #12,905 of 29,490
Hey guys, what amp/DAC would you recomend to drive Denon AH-d2000's, I was considering the Fiio E7/E9 combo or the Audioengine D1, feel free to point me in another direction but but it has to be an amp AND a DAC, my budget would be around £150.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #12,906 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, what amp/DAC would you recomend to drive Denon AH-d2000's, I was considering the Fiio E7/E9 combo or the Audioengine D1, feel free to point me in another direction but but it has to be an amp AND a DAC, my budget would be around £150.

I'm sure a Fiio E10 ($80) could power your AH-D2000.
What is the source(s) your using the AH-D2000 with?

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #12,907 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, I know this is a headphone thread, but I've decided I can't find a headphone that's exactly what I'm looking for.. Instead does anyone know some good iems for jrock, acoustic (Ex: Simon and garfunkel), and occasional hip hop/pop?
My budget is around 150 used/new. Only two factors I'd like: 1) a mic control would be nice as I'll be mostly having my iPhone in my pocket when walking/riding my bike on campus. 2) My favorite color is blue xD.. Perhaps a blue cable?

UE TripleFi 10? seems to fit most of your requirements as you can get a mic'd replacement cable, though I'm not positive on the sound.

Quote:
Hello, long time reader, first time poster from denmark.

I am looking for the perfect pair of headphones to match my budget and so far i haven't found much...

So i am hoping the pros from this fine forum will be able to help.

What i am looking for in a pair of headphones is as follows:

1. High sound quality with good detail.
  2. Decent bass ( doesn't have to be "make my ears bleed" bass, just a good fast kick bass )
  3. Quality design, solid, must not feel like it was break if i drop it.
  4. They must work on the go aswell as at home.
  5. I would greatly prefere a design that allows me to change the cabel without having to use screwdrivers and soldering tools. (planning on a recabel with one for home and one for "on the go")

And most important of all

The headphones must not touch my ears AT ALL, they HAVE to go around and rest on my head without touching my ears.

My ears are stupid and starts hurting after 30 min or so wearing normal headphones.
basshead.gif

I dont care if its a new model or an older you recommend, i have no problem buying used, but my current max is prolly the $500 range.

My current head gear is as follows:

B&W P5 Headphones, with pure gold plated solid copper braid recabel, a bit stiff but great sound.
Iphone 4s + Fiio 7 portabel headphone amplifier with LOD for portabel.
Vincent KHV-111 MK II tube headphone amplifier and B&W Aura CD player for home use.

Hope you guys will be able to help, i spend about 4 hours in busses and trains a day going to and from work so i really need a pair of headphones thats comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Yeah, I'd recommend the D2000s too, though no removable cable I don't think, and isolation is a bit low. Maybe the HM5 for that, though those are more neutral.

Quote:
I'm looking for a good pair of closed headphones for the office.  This will be my first pair of higher quality headphones.

Current headphone: Sennheiser MD-202

Budget: Under $200

Music: All over the place -- lots of indie rock but a good amount of electronic, classical, jazz, and hip-hop

Setup: Listening to Rdio on my Macbook without an amp

Looking for:

* Comfort - could be wearing for up to 8 hours
* Isolation - Lots of people close by so it can't leak sound
* Versatile - I listen to lots of genres so I'm not looking for something tuned to a certain genre

Brainwavz HM5? That and all the DJ/Studio cans like the M50, HFI780, SRH840, etc.

Quote:

I am looking for new headphones for use on my computer primarily for gaming, though occasionally for music.  

For portable use I already own the Klipsch S4 and absolutely love them.

I tried buying the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and returned them.  I found the sound to be great, although I actually preferred the S4s over them for music listening.  In the end I returned the M50s due to the vice grip feeling and the pressure from the over the ear feeling.

I like the feel of a closed on-ear headphones (the M50's are definitely over the ear despite what people say).  The best example I could find is the Aiaiai TMA-1.  However that is a little pricey and I would only purchase it if it was truly worth it.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for closed on-ear headphones similar in size/shape to the Aiaiai that would be good for multi-purpose gaming/music?

Senn HD25 and V-Moda M80 in addition to the TMAs.

Quote:

I've decided to take the plunge and get a decent set of headphones.  I wouldn't say I'm a bass head, but I do like my bass.  I like it loud, but accurate.  I also love clean mid-bass  (typically test with Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly).  Finally, I hate harsh highs.  I primarily listen to rock, hip hop, heavy metal, and top 40.  I'm also thinking that these will get some home theater use.  I currently have Ultimate Ears Metro Fi 220's as my portable earphones, but want a nice full sized set for around the house.  I plan on running these through a headphone amp...   probably a FiiO E6 or E7.

Here's what I'm considering (prices include shipping / tax):

Denon AH-D1100 for $112
Monoprice 8323 for $28
Audio Technica ATH-M50s for $129
Klipsch Image One for $129
V-Moda Crossfade $101
Numark Red Wave $75

So, any opinions from you head-fiers?  Looking to keep as much $$$ in my pocket as possible. 

The M50s have pretty clean midbass, but the highs might be a little harsh. From quick demos and general consensus around the forum, the V-Modas and the Image Ones are quite bassy, but also pretty muddy, so you probably want to cross those off. D1100s are quite bassy but also a good choice. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #12,908 of 29,490

Quote:
SR 850 comparison with V Moda Crossfade LP?

I know these 2 headphones are totally different, but how are they compared to each other? Which one is more recommended in terms of sounding better?

The Crossfades are a lot bassier, with a more consumer sound, but tend to be muddy, to the point where ljokerl won't recommend them over the XB500s. SR850s will be less bassy, and more clear, but probably also isolate a bit less, since they're semi-open. I would go for the SR850s if you don't need isolation or check out other options.

Quote:
I need some headphones for studying in the library and for the long car/bus rides going from school to my home.  I'm thinking I will look into a pair of noise-cancelling headphones despite the usually lower quality headphones.  Does anyone know a good noise-cancelling pair for around $150 used?  I hear the Bose QuietComfort 15 is the best in terms of active noise-cancelling, but that it's absolutely garbage in sound quality.  I already have headphones for when I'm at home, so for these I just need survivable audio quality and good noise cancellation (At most, rides will be only 3-4 hours). Thanks for any input!

The QC15s aren't all that bad as far as sound quality goes, and if you get them for $150 are a pretty good deal. Though the sound is not that great for msrp, for that price it would be passable. Also perhaps look into IEMs if you haven't already.

Quote:
Hi i have seen the akg k430 headphones.

are they any good for bus journeys with music up loud!

plus do they have bad noise leakage?

Given that it's a small on-ear, it probably won't isolate particularly well, so might not be ideal for bus rides. Leakage will probably be low, but if you're blasting it to compensate for bus noise, others will hear it. Check out ljokerl's review in his portables review thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-100-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-oldskool-70-and-oldskool-rpm-33-1-3-added-03-01-12

Quote:
Ok I have a budget of £150 for a pair of closed cans and I've narrowed it down to the following:
1. Ultrasone PRO550
2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 LE
3. Audio Technica PRO700Mk2
To be driven by an iPhone 4 and probably either Fiio E7 or E11 (only have the iPhone right now). Music is acoustic, classical, jazz, hiphop, drum&bass, dubstep, house.. Just about anything.
I'm going round in circles reading reviews and comparisons, and I really can't decide. They'll be worn mainly while commuting on the train. Yes to comfort and prefer detachable cables, no to leakage.
I own a pair of Denon C751s, and after 3 years of constant abuse they sound muddy and claustrophobic. I like the idea of the Ultrasone's soundstage for when I'm not listening to electronic music, and I'm wondering if I really need a basshead headphone, but I don't want to be disappointed when I'm in the mood for some skull shaking bass.
If I could justify the money I would get PRO 900's for travel and Q701's for when I'm at home!

I think the PRO700s might be a little too bassy for stuff like acoustic and classical, where you want a little more treble clarity. Don't know about the PRO550s, but my M50s aren't all that good for classical either, though they're passable.

Quote:
I am going into college and i am looking for the best possible headphones for use without an amp (less than $200).  I will be using these with my ipod/cellphone and on my laptop.  I looked at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-100-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-oldskool-70-and-oldskool-rpm-33-1-3-added-03-01-12 and narrowed it down to the Numark PHX Pros and the Audio Technica M50 which one is the better value or better for my needs?

What about the v-moda M80s and HD25-1s? They're more portable and convenient, and ljokerl actually rates them better sound-quality wise than the M50s. Between those two, though, I'd go for the M50s, since it's within your price range.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #12,909 of 29,490
Hi Everyone,
First time poster, but have peaked into this forum for years. I finally decided that I listen to so much music at work, it would be worth investing in a good setup ($800 max for phones + a dac). I listen to about 70% classical, but also regularly listen to house and rap. I began narrowing down the headphones to the sd600 or k701s, but when I mentioned them to my friend, he informed me that they are open back headphones and wouldn't be good for work (I work in a room with a few people). I would also use these phones at home/on the go at times. Would these phones disturb my coworkers by hearing whatever I am listening to?

I am starting to consider the denon d5000s, but am also considering getting 2 cheaper sets of phones (one open, one closed) for a similar overall price as the d5000s.

Any recommendations for a good headphone/amp combo based off of the above would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #12,910 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
First time poster, but have peaked into this forum for years. I finally decided that I listen to so much music at work, it would be worth investing in a good setup ($800 max for phones + a dac). I listen to about 70% classical, but also regularly listen to house and rap. I began narrowing down the headphones to the sd600 or k701s, but when I mentioned them to my friend, he informed me that they are open back headphones and wouldn't be good for work (I work in a room with a few people). I would also use these phones at home/on the go at times. Would these phones disturb my coworkers by hearing whatever I am listening to?
I am starting to consider the denon d5000s, but am also considering getting 2 cheaper sets of phones (one open, one closed) for a similar overall price as the d5000s.
Any recommendations for a good headphone/amp combo based off of the above would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Would your dac/amp also have to be portable?

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #12,912 of 29,490
Okay, so I posted a few days ago about wanting a pair of headphones. Open, under 350$, for listening to music at home, mostly mellow stuff but probably would have listened to more chaotic stuff from time to time. My options felt like they boiled down to HD600s and AKG Q701s. With the AD900 seeming to be disregarded right away. Here's the original post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/12870#post_8210878

I was told that HD600s were probably the most balanced and forgiving ones (between that and the 701s). But the 701s were better value because the HD600s are $400 now.

"HD600's would probably the most balanced ones overall" "HD650's tolerate everything and will sound decent with anything. However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless" "The Senns are the best of the three, but they are now priced at $400--and apparently this is a firm price (at least for now) due to Senn's new MAP policy."

But I've found some HD600s between 265-300$ (on Australian sites, which is extremely convenient) so I think I'll just go with that - not interested in the 701s anymore. But now... I'm hearing the HD598s are probably better...

So right now I'm torn between HD600 and HD598 (both are at very similar prices).

And also need a DAC/Amp that I could use out of my laptop, looking at
-Fiio E17
-Audinst MX1
-Yulong U100

Asgard + HRT II

Suggestions, please?

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #12,913 of 29,490
Well, I pulled the trigger, took PurpleAngels advice and went for the 250Ω DT-880.
 I saw them for 233€ @ Amazon instead of 299€ @ Beyerdynamic, so I ninja-ordered.

Turns out that the X-Fi Titanium HD can power them just fine, no need for further amping at all heh saves me 500 bucks.

They were a little shy on bass, so I fed them +4dB @ 62Hz and +2.4 @125Hz and now the bass is like rolling thunder.
(Probably too much for people with normal hearing but I'm a little impaired due to scarring tissue on my eardrums.)

The 1Vrms or  1.4Vpp of the headphone out get me a nice volume, I can't reach my pain threshold but I wouldn't want to do that anyway.
Comfortable listening volume for long periods lies around 50%.

I'm very happy right now, being able to put the need for better audio equipment to rest and wanted to thank you for your input.

Greetings
Ifalna

Users who are viewing this thread

Back