++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 9, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #12,871 of 29,490
Bumping this because it looks like there is no help at summit hifi atm. Any help is appreciated :bigsmile_face:

Audeze LCD-2 w/ Schiit Bifrost and Schiit Lyr. That's what I'd go for.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #12,874 of 29,490
Where can you get the audeze lcd-2? Tried looking for em but their page says it`s sold out and I found some shabby sites that might not be legit. 

Moon Audio, they're a sponsor on this forum and completely legit.

http://www.moon-audio.com/headphones/audeze/audez-e-lcd-2-579.html

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #12,876 of 29,490
I hope you've read up on the LCD-2 vandaq. I own the combo recommended to you but I hope you haven't made that decision based on a single suggestion. As much as I like the Bifrost>Lyr>LCD-2 chain, I'm not certain I'd go this route again if I could redo it all.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #12,878 of 29,490
Hello, long time reader, first time poster from denmark.

I am looking for the perfect pair of headphones to match my budget and so far i haven't found much...

So i am hoping the pros from this fine forum will be able to help.

What i am looking for in a pair of headphones is as follows:

1. High sound quality with good detail.
  2. Decent bass ( doesn't have to be "make my ears bleed" bass, just a good fast kick bass )
  3. Quality design, solid, must not feel like it was break if i drop it.
  4. They must work on the go aswell as at home.
  5. I would greatly prefere a design that allows me to change the cabel without having to use screwdrivers and soldering tools. (planning on a recabel with one for home and one for "on the go")

And most important of all

The headphones must not touch my ears AT ALL, they HAVE to go around and rest on my head without touching my ears.

My ears are stupid and starts hurting after 30 min or so wearing normal headphones.
basshead.gif

I dont care if its a new model or an older you recommend, i have no problem buying used, but my current max is prolly the $500 range.

My current head gear is as follows:

B&W P5 Headphones, with pure gold plated solid copper braid recabel, a bit stiff but great sound.
Iphone 4s + Fiio 7 portabel headphone amplifier with LOD for portabel.
Vincent KHV-111 MK II tube headphone amplifier and B&W Aura CD player for home use.

Hope you guys will be able to help, i spend about 4 hours in busses and trains a day going to and from work so i really need a pair of headphones thats comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #12,880 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, I know this is a headphone thread, but I've decided I can't find a headphone that's exactly what I'm looking for.. Instead does anyone know some good iems for jrock, acoustic (Ex: Simon and garfunkel), and occasional hip hop/pop?
My budget is around 150 used/new. Only two factors I'd like: 1) a mic control would be nice as I'll be mostly having my iPhone in my pocket when walking/riding my bike on campus. 2) My favorite color is blue xD.. Perhaps a blue cable?

Hifiman Re-0/Zero's are a solid choice. I've also seen the MG7 is going $99 dollars from the Atrio site, with a coupon. Both are right in your price range, and the MG7 M5 comes in blue. I'm not so sure about the sound signature for the music you listen to though. I've read it's a more bass oriented headphone though. These are good options, but you may want to wait to hear from someone with a bit more experience on the possible sound signature you're looking for.

Quote:

thank you so much, gonna order from there later today :) 
Any specific cable or so I should pick or is that more preference?

IMHO, I would start with something nice and solid, but cheaper to buy, so you can find the sound that you like. Instead of buying a summit setup and not being 100% happy about the sound that you're getting. This is just my opinion. I honestly couldn't drop $1500 dollars on anything with know that I'll be 100% happy with whatever I'm getting. So, my recommendation is to get experience first. Then, you could get a ballin' setup later.

Quote:
what's yours guys thoughts on the akg k701's?

Check here for opinions on the K701: http://www.head-fi.org/t/321237/k701-appreciation-thread
I, personally have no thoughts, because I have no experience with them. I'm aiming for the Q701s as my next pair, for sure though.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #12,881 of 29,490
I have read on it, but I have also read up on countless others. So no, it`s not like I am set on these specific headphones, but I do know that I want something really awesome. Also looked at the grado ps1000, but seems like a hassle to find the right setup for it, specially for a newbie in audio stuff.  What do you guys recommend instead? 

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #12,882 of 29,490
I'm looking for a good pair of closed headphones for the office.  This will be my first pair of higher quality headphones.

Current headphone: Sennheiser MD-202

Budget: Under $200

Music: All over the place -- lots of indie rock but a good amount of electronic, classical, jazz, and hip-hop

Setup: Listening to Rdio on my Macbook without an amp

Looking for:

* Comfort - could be wearing for up to 8 hours
* Isolation - Lots of people close by so it can't leak sound
* Versatile - I listen to lots of genres so I'm not looking for something tuned to a certain genre

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #12,883 of 29,490

I am looking for new headphones for use on my computer primarily for gaming, though occasionally for music.  

For portable use I already own the Klipsch S4 and absolutely love them.

I tried buying the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and returned them.  I found the sound to be great, although I actually preferred the S4s over them for music listening.  In the end I returned the M50s due to the vice grip feeling and the pressure from the over the ear feeling.

I like the feel of a closed on-ear headphones (the M50's are definitely over the ear despite what people say).  The best example I could find is the Aiaiai TMA-1.  However that is a little pricey and I would only purchase it if it was truly worth it.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for closed on-ear headphones similar in size/shape to the Aiaiai that would be good for multi-purpose gaming/music?

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #12,884 of 29,490
Hi all!
First post, exciting and all.
I have a set of little iGrados and I really like the sound. However it's birthday soon, and I'd really like something closed back for isolation and circumaural for comfort.
I'm not that interested in airy detail or extended bass. I like the i's because to me they have nice beefy low mids, detail above that, and aren't fatiguing at the top. I'll be using these mostly on the commute, but I carry a rucksack so don't mind size. Driven from a Sansa Clip and Fiio E5, or the headphone out from an Echo interface. Occasionally also in the studio, but rarely. Mostly listening to rock and metal, mostly older, but also bits of other non-electronic music and occasional PC gaming.
Budget around £100 but happy to stretch that in either direction if necessary.
If it helps, if it was feasible I would listen to everything on B&W DM4s!

Thanks in advance for replies.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #12,885 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all!
First post, exciting and all.
I have a set of little iGrados and I really like the sound. However it's birthday soon, and I'd really like something closed back for isolation and circumaural for comfort.
I'm not that interested in airy detail or extended bass. I like the i's because to me they have nice beefy low mids, detail above that, and aren't fatiguing at the top. I'll be using these mostly on the commute, but I carry a rucksack so don't mind size. Driven from a Sansa Clip and Fiio E5, or the headphone out from an Echo interface. Occasionally also in the studio, but rarely. Mostly listening to rock and metal, mostly older, but also bits of other non-electronic music and occasional PC gaming.
Budget around £100 but happy to stretch that in either direction if necessary.
If it helps, if it was feasible I would listen to everything on B&W DM4s!
Thanks in advance for replies.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Shure 840 based on your requirements.  Yes, you will have to stretch a bit more with budget but they are a lot less than when they first came out and they were good value then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back