++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #12,856 of 29,490

Quote:
I know there are countless reviews of the ATH-M50, but I just wanted to ask a question about them.  Are the mids recessed as many say or is it as balanced as other reviews say.. 

How do they treat vocals? Guitar riffs? 

I own the M50s. It's the upper mids that are recessed. Not a lot, but it's noticeable. They are decent for guitars, but not vocals 

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #12,857 of 29,490
Hi. Looking for a new pair of headphones.

- I already have a Closed pair, so I might go with Open. Although I'm open to both, i.e if there is a better value closed phone for what I'm after.
- Under 350$ preferably. Some leeway allowed.
- Will be using it for listening to music at home - no need for it to be 'portable' or anything.
- Been mostly listening to more mellow stuff lately - ambient, "slowcore", "indie"-folk/pop/rock, some minimal techno. Although I probably will listen to more bombastic/chaotic/heavier stuff from time to time.
- Reasonably comfortable and quality build.

Not really looking at anything in particular at the moment. AD900s? AKG 701s? HD600s? Something else? Those Hifiman ones I see being posted everywhere seem interesting.

Few more things:

- What would be a good DAC to go with the new recommended pair? Will be using the phones with my laptop. Looking at Fiio E10, Audinst HUD-MX1 and Yulong U100. Don't want to go much over 200$ for one of these.
- Is a DAC enough, or do I need an amp or something as well?
- Will a 350$ pair of phones with a $200 DAC end up making lossy MP3 files (between 192 and 320kbps) sound noticeably bad?
- How 'open' are open phones. If I'm listening at a comfortable volume in my room, will the sound leak and annoy those outside my room?

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #12,858 of 29,490

Quote:

- I already have a Closed pair, so I might go with Open. Although I'm open to both, i.e if there is a better value closed phone for what I'm after.
- Will be using it for listening to music at home - no need for it to be 'portable' or anything.
- Been mostly listening to more mellow stuff lately - ambient, "slowcore", "indie"-folk/pop/rock, some minimal techno. Although I probably will listen to more bombastic/chaotic/heavier stuff from time to time.

Not really looking at anything in particular at the moment. AD900s? AKG 701s? HD600s? Something else? Those Hifiman ones I see being posted everywhere seem interesting.

Few more things:

- What would be a good DAC to go with the new recommended pair? Will be using the phones with my laptop. Looking at Fiio E10, Audinst HUD-MX1 and Yulong U100. Don't want to go much over 200$ for one of these.
- Will a 350$ pair of phones with a $200 DAC end up making lossy MP3 files (between 192 and 320kbps) sound noticeably bad?
- How 'open' are open phones. If I'm listening at a comfortable volume in my room, will the sound leak and annoy those outside my room?

Depends on what you want. I wouldn't look at AD900's, they're a bit too limit by their lack of bass.  HD600's would probably the most balanced ones overall, but K701's would be clearer sounding, best for acoustic, instrumental, ambient, rock, even good at techno because they have good punch with proper amp.

The problem is, no DAC/amp for under $200 will power any of these properly, especially not K701's.

As for mp3 files sounding bad...um depends again.  I have HD650's and Q701's, they handle bad recordings very differently. HD650's tolerate everything and will sound decent with anything. However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless. Even listening to music on youtube in 1080p with best possible audio, it still sounds bad, too bright, messy, etc.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #12,859 of 29,490

Quote:

Depends on what you want. I wouldn't look at AD900's, they're a bit too limit by their lack of bass.  HD600's would probably the most balanced ones overall, but K701's would be clearer sounding, best for acoustic, instrumental, ambient, rock, even good at techno because they have good punch with proper amp.

The problem is, no DAC/amp for under $200 will power any of these properly, especially not K701's.

As for mp3 files sounding bad...um depends again.  I have HD650's and Q701's, they handle bad recordings very differently. HD650's tolerate everything and will sound decent with anything. However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless. Even listening to music on youtube in 1080p with best possible audio, it still sounds bad, too bright, messy, etc.

Would closed headphones be easier (less expensive) to run with a cheaper DAC? How much would I be spending for a DAC that can properly run K701s or HD600s? Any other recommendations in the price range?

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #12,860 of 29,490

Quote:
Would closed headphones be easier (less expensive) to run with a cheaper DAC? How much would I be spending for a DAC that can properly run K701s or HD600s? Any other recommendations in the price range?

Would closed headphones be easier (less expensive) to run with a cheaper DAC? No. Easy to drive headphones are efficient and that is independent of closed or open. It seems that most upper end headphones are not terribly efficient and benefit more from a good amplifier, plus the improved resolution of the drivers benefit from a good DAC. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #12,861 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

Just about to get a decent pair of headphones for myself and I've narrowed it down to 2 possible choices I think:
1. Audio Technica ath-m50
2. Beyerdynamic dt770-pro 250 ohm

Either way going to get an amp so any advice for that would be very much appreciated as well.

I mostly listen to rock, indie/folk, and classical.

So overall I'm most concerned about the cans having a neutral response with as little coloration as possible while of course being comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Thanks for your responses ahead of time

-Matt

Both are good cans.  Of the two, I would say that the M50's are more neutral--but not the most neutral in the class.  The 770's are more fun (think Grado lite with more bass) and very comfortable.

Between the two, my personal preference is the Beyer.  Then again you can get the straight cord version of the M50 from buy dot com for $129 shipped.  At that price the AT is the better value.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #12,862 of 29,490

Quote:

Few more things:

I have the HD 600 and AKG Q 701.  I have not heard the AD900, but know the A900.

The Senns are the best of the three, but they are now priced at $400--and apparently this is a firm price (at least for now) due to Senn's new MAP policy.

The Q 701 is a great value--you can get a pair for at least $100 lower than the 600's.

For the same general price range of the Q 701, you can, with careful shopping and the right vendor,  pick up the Denon AH_D2000--a great closed can.  These have the strongest bass, including sub bass, without being a basshead can.

Bottom line: unless price is not object, go with the Q 701 or D2000.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #12,863 of 29,490

Quote:
Just about to get a decent pair of headphones for myself and I've narrowed it down to 2 possible choices I think:
Either way going to get an amp so any advice for that would be very much appreciated as well.
So overall I'm most concerned about the cans having a neutral response with as little coloration as possible while of course being comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
Thanks for your responses ahead of time-Matt

I've never used the ATH-M50, but I do own two DT770 Pros (80-Ohm & 250-Ohm) and I do like their sound.
I've heard the ATH-M50 have good bass and treble, but not great on sound stage/surround sound.
So I say go DT770 (they are comfortable).

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #12,864 of 29,490

Quote:
I've never used the ATH-M50, but I do own two DT770 Pros (80-Ohm & 250-Ohm) and I do like their sound.
I've heard the ATH-M50 have good bass and treble, but not great on sound stage/surround sound.
So I say go DT770 (they are comfortable).

I just bought the ATH-M50s after doing some reading from head fi, and i tell you now i've absolutely no regrets.
they sound really really good and they're comfortable to boot.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #12,865 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bottom line: unless price is not object, go with the Q 701 or D2000.

Thanks! But one thing worries me; what the poster who replied to me before you said: "However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless."

Also, I'm guessing the DACs I posted above aren't going to cut it for either of these? Any you would recommend? D2000s are looking really nice.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #12,866 of 29,490

Quote:

I've been searching for a good pair of headphones in my price range for a while, and have some ideas. You guys seem to ahve a pretty good idea of what you're talking about, so I thought I'd ask for some advice.

Budget: about $60
Preferences: Balanced sound
Uses: Gaming, listening to many different genres
Style: I would prefer open for the better soundstage and lack of distortion

SO far I've looked at the:
Superlux HD668 (and the samson sr850, but I really like the interchangeable cords of the 668)
Sony MDR-7506
Sennheiser HD555

In some detail, and I am strongly leaning towards the 668 right now, as it is well reviewed for both listening and gaming, and is right at my budget. I was going to use either ebay or amazon to buy. I would like to know if this is a good choice for my interest, thanks a lot for your help.

The 668B is a very solid choice, if you can find them, but if you'd like something a little more closed or portable, also check out the Creative Aurvana Lives and the Koss DJ100s, which get discounted to below $60 sometimes.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your responses ahead of time

-Matt

If you're getting the 250-ohm model of the 770s, you might need an amp to drive them... Other than that, I can't comment too much as I only own the M50s, except that the M50s can get uncomfortable after a couple hours of continuous use. No idea about the beyers in that regard.

Quote:
I know there are countless reviews of the ATH-M50, but I just wanted to ask a question about them.  Are the mids recessed as many say or is it as balanced as other reviews say.. 

How do they treat vocals? Guitar riffs? 

As previous posters have mentioned, the mids are a bit recessed, especially near the top, which can make vocals sound a tad artificial at times, though guitars do sound pretty good. I do find, however, that there is a bit of a strange coloration to them at times that makes it sound almost metallic. It's not that bad, but it's a bit odd, and something to note. 

Quote:

Few more things:

I've heard good things about a Q701 paired with the E10/E9... Maybe read through the Q701 appreciation thread for more details

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #12,867 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks! But one thing worries me; what the poster who replied to me before you said: "However, Q701's sound crap with anything else than lossless."

Also, I'm guessing the DACs I posted above aren't going to cut it for either of these? Any you would recommend? D2000s are looking really nice.

Can't help you with that.  I'm (very) old school and do all my serious listening to CD's (old ones with little or no compression), vinyl or when feeling especially retro--reel to reel tape.

I can add that the Q 701 and its K cousins have outstanding clarity.  If a recording is crappy, you are almost certain to know it in short order.  However, I tend to use my CALs or something else good from the $75 to $125 street price range when I listen to music from my iphone or computer.  It seems to best match the source/format/quality level of the music.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #12,868 of 29,490
Okay, I know this is a headphone thread, but I've decided I can't find a headphone that's exactly what I'm looking for.. Instead does anyone know some good iems for jrock, acoustic (Ex: Simon and garfunkel), and occasional hip hop/pop?

My budget is around 150 used/new. Only two factors I'd like: 1) a mic control would be nice as I'll be mostly having my iPhone in my pocket when walking/riding my bike on campus. 2) My favorite color is blue xD.. Perhaps a blue cable?

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #12,869 of 29,490
Bumping this because it looks like there is no help at summit hifi atm. Any help is appreciated 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Hello! First time poster, though I been lurking for a little bit.

I need some guidance here, real bad because I understand very little of this.

Currently I am using AD700s on a onboard sound device on my pc.
Looking for a huge upgrade from this. From what I understand, sound card and amp`s are necessary to get the real juice going.

Now, what exactly should I get? Thinking from the whole soundcard to headphones. 
I need a complete setup for what would really **** on what I currently have.
Money isn`t a issue, though 1500-2000$ should suffice.
So what amp,headphones,soundcard should I get?

I mostly listen to hip hop and electronic, so bass is a must. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back