++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #12,751 of 29,490

I've heard that a lot but I won't have an amp within the timeframe of returning these, and I think I might be looking for something more neutral. I guess if leaving the D2000s was a misstep, I can sell whatever I have at the time and go back to them. But I just don't dig the overall sound signature, I like wider soundstages with more seperation and a more neutral sound.

Edit: I tried my receiver with my vinyl records and it just seemed to make the problem worse, the bass became tightened up but became far more overpowering. Might be the receiver, or the turntable. They both are just decent. I can try to see if any of my friends have any amps or receivers that I can come check out to see if it improves the sound, but I have a feeling I might be having an issue with the sound signature. It sounds like a home theater system on your head, and I like headphones to be clear and intimate.
Quote:
Have you used an amp with the Denon D2000? If not I would suggest that first my guess is it would tighten up the bass from what I've read which may go a long way. At a minimum give them a Dac & Amp to try them with before getting rid of them as if may clear up your issues. I know they are a low impedance headphone but from what I've read they do benefit from a quality source and power.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #12,752 of 29,490

Quote:
The DT 770 M is a specialty can made for drummers.  Unless you are one, I'm not sure why you would buy that.  The DT 770 Pro is a good closed can but very different from the Senns--more like a Grado but with more bass (until you get up to the $300 level with the 325).

I don't know of a closed can that sounds close to your Senns.  I have not heard the Koss.

Ah I did not know that. I only mentioned the m because that was the only 80 ohm beyers that I saw on the sites I looked at.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #12,754 of 29,490
Pick up a used DT880 and try it out; you can always get a new one if you love it. The DT880 has similar clarity with better bass (imo). If you want something warmer, try the HD600, which I highly prefer over both the DT880 and K701. There are plenty more exotic choices, but most of us end up owning those three at some time anyways!

Quote:
Thanks again.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #12,756 of 29,490
Hi everybody, I've begun looking for my first decent pair of headphones ($150+), and it's proving to be quite the daunting task. I've been doing a lot of research over the past couple of days on everything from Sennheiser to Ultrasone to Skullcandy. My major problem is that I want good sound quality for the type of music I listen to (mostly electronic: house, dubstep, electro hip hop... usually not much vocals other than samples), but I also want something relatively portable and that I can wear with pride in public (or at least not feel completely ridiculous with). Besides casual listening I do produce some of my own electronic tunes (dubstep and electro-house mostly) from time to time so that is an important consideration as well. Here are some of the phones I've been considering:

Skullcandy Aviators:

PROS:
-Very stylish imo
-Seems to have a pretty balanced frequency response
-Seems relatively well respected here (esp for skullcandy)
-Relatively cheap (~$140)
-Lifetime warranty (always skeptical about these, but hey it's there)
-Control talk for my ipod touch (sounds really handy... the one thing about my itouch that makes me miss my old ipod classic is it is harder to switch songs or volume on the fly)
-Low impedance -> don't necessarily need amp

CONS
-Unremovable cord
-Maybe not the best bang for the buck in terms of SQ (although I've heard varying reports, some claiming it is better than the ATH-M50s)
-Amplitude peaks at a higher frequency in the lows than I might like (~100 Hz)

ATH-M50s

PROS
-looks alright
-treated like the holy grail here far as I can see
-very balanced frequency response
-Decent price (~$160)
-Low impedence again
-Amplitude peaks at a frequency that seems good to me (~60-70 and again at 100 Hz)

CONS
-looks alright
-Unremovable cord if I recall

Ok, I'm getting lazier so only brief descriptions of other ones I'm considering right now:

Sennheiser HD25-1 ii: Supposed excellent sound quality, but ugly as sin. Also more expensive ($200).

Ultrasone DJ1 and DJ1 pro: "Surround sound" but maybe not direct enough for electronic music? Look quite stylish imo w/ the black and white, although the pro version might be a little too huge. Good price (~$150)

Skullcandy Mix Master: The other supposedly good quality skullcandy cans, and SC live up to their reputation with another stylish pair of headphones. They are also supposedly better for electronic music with pronounced bass and easy on the ears due to roll off at the top. However, they are at the very top of my price range ($250).

And the last one (don't laugh)... Beats Mixr: Ok obviously beats gets a lot of hate here, and that may be justified considering how warped the frequency scheme is, with massive bass and everything else diminished. But I guess who's to say if that isn't a valid scheme... I mean people seem to like it, and what little I've heard from them still sounds pretty clean to my ears. The mixr also seems to be getting better reviews than previous iterations, and as always is an excellent looking specimen (and has control talk). However the price is a turn off ($250 again), and I might feel like a tool buying them, which somewhat contradicts the whole "wearing with pride" thing despite how nice they look.

V-moda Crossfade: just saw someone mention these here, and they certainly look pretty cool. I have no idea about the audio quality, but they are the cheapest of the bunch at 100 bucks (for lp1) and got rave reviews on Amazon.

So, if anybody could help me out here it would be much appreciated. There are so many options I know I've only grazed the surface, so please feel free to suggest anything you think fits the bill (good for electronic music, looks good, $150-$250)

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #12,757 of 29,490

Quote:
So, if anybody could help me out here it would be much appreciated. There are so many options I know I've only grazed the surface, so please feel free to suggest anything you think fits the bill (good for electronic music, looks good, $150-$250)

How about Pioneer's HDJ2000? Massively durable, built like a V-MODA in fact. Very nice bassy set of cans along with Pioneer's more balanced, at least for DJ cans, house sound. Detachable cable too. Really nice looking IMO as well. Do be wary of fakes, though I don't think you'll get any buying directly from Amazon.com as the seller.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #12,758 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatinGhost /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Ultrasone DJ1 (or the HFI-580, they're the same with different casings) are quite nice for electronica, while the DJ1 Pro (or the Pro 550 counterpart) are a bit more balanced and less inclined towards electronica. And if you could stretch your budget farther, the Ultrasone Pro 900 are some of the best headphones available out there for electronica. I listen to that music genre quite a bit, mainly trance and drum and bass, and the Pro 900 are nothing short of amazing. So I could consider the HFI-580 like a cheaper version of the Pro 900.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #12,759 of 29,490
Please help:

Looking for something with fantastic deep bass, that you can feel. As little distortion as possible. Also need best possible sound quality in the mids and highs. Portable would be good too! Price limit: £150. Please help!! Thanks. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #12,760 of 29,490
hi I'm looking for some decent headphones on a budget

long story short I'm off on a school trip to Paris which is a 10hr+ bus journey
with kids shouting and bus engine humming it will disturb my music

heres a list of requirements;

comfy
stylelish
noise cancelling
smallish
no leakage
price range £0-£50
closed
durable.

ive seen some Sony  xb300 and sennheiser  xr 200 or something like that
i know at that budget I won't get anything amazing and also I listen to dubstep
and drum and bass and rap and I'm using an iPod touch 4g if that helps.
thanks guys!

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #12,761 of 29,490

Quote:
Please help:

Looking for something with fantastic deep bass, that you can feel. As little distortion as possible. Also need best possible sound quality in the mids and highs. Portable would be good too! Price limit: £150. Please help!! Thanks. 

XB500 and XB700. Audiophile or head fi loved headphones don't deliver this. I am a HFI 580 owner and reviewer. HFI 580 can have XB500 bass with EQ but it can not sustain it. as in...gets muddy, and overtakes the mids and vibrates..as in vibrates a lot. this isn't the impact good vibration of the XB's..this is literally...it as an audiophile studio headphone was not meant to handle the levels of bass that it CAN produce. are you a consumer sound lover? i am. i love my lil waynes, and drake's and what not. if so. XB is the way to go for a headphone to love your music. for a headphone to hear your music, to be an audiophie, to be a studio artist... ultrasones, and beyers period

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #12,762 of 29,490
Thanks for your help. 

Yeh I am a consumer listener, with a growing amount of dubstep in it, so I need the bass. My source is an iPod Touch/ iPhone. What about if I said I want the best possible sound quality I can get for my price limit, with bass vibration, little distortion and lost of bass clarity and depth. Is that possible?

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #12,763 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for your help. 

Yeh I am a consumer listener, with a growing amount of dubstep in it, so I need the bass. My source is an iPod Touch/ iPhone. What about if I said I want the best possible sound quality I can get for my price limit, with bass vibration, little distortion and lost of bass clarity and depth. Is that possible?

Ultrasone HFI 580 period.. I have tried the DT770 pro 80 ohms(said to be most bassy out of whole line) and while the DT770 pro's weren't burned in..it didn't do as well in bass as the ultrasone's. only problem is comfrot. beyer's.. are like this

ultrasone's are just meh. s-logic is not a problem for new comers. only seasoned listeners actually have a chagrin with slogic..bc they actually hear it. you won't even really notice it much or forget about it. 

despite what you say. im still feeling an XB500/XB700(the later seems better) vibe from you. i liked the bass on the XB500's and if the better highs and mids on the XB700(not tested) are said to be true then it's for you.  i listen to mainstream dubstep..skrillex..and it doesn't sound too good on ultrasone's. mainly due to his style and the ....type of bass he uses which doesn't vibrate much on his song(scary monsters and nice sprites) i have an HFI 580 review in my sig and you should be able to find it online, any questions plz ask here as i don't get notifications from that thread(wayyyy down my list of notifications so i odn't see it)

both XB and HFI are easy to drive. XB will improve with amping, as in you control the amount of bass it gives and how hard you want it to hit and what not and give it more power to chew on(i had some too much or too little problems). HFI is more of an audiophile improvement, unnoticeable for mainstream genres but when y ou really sit down at the end of the day and start..you wwant a good amp and DAC to make these shine with the good tracks.

oh sorry just remembered. euro's..the HFI and XB and the amps and DAC's...are soo soo cheap in america as compared to you guys. it might be tight. any specific questions?

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #12,764 of 29,490

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI 580 period.. I have tried the DT770 pro 80 ohms(said to be most bassy out of whole line) and while the DT770 pro's weren't burned in..it didn't do as well in bass as the ultrasone's. only problem is comfrot. beyer's.. are like this

ultrasone's are just meh. s-logic is not a problem for new comers. only seasoned listeners actually have a chagrin with slogic..bc they actually hear it. you won't even really notice it much or forget about it. 

despite what you say. im still feeling an XB500/XB700(the later seems better) vibe from you. i liked the bass on the XB500's and if the better highs and mids on the XB700(not tested) are said to be true then it's for you.  i listen to mainstream dubstep..skrillex..and it doesn't sound too good on ultrasone's. mainly due to his style and the ....type of bass he uses which doesn't vibrate much on his song(scary monsters and nice sprites) i have an HFI 580 review in my sig and you should be able to find it online, any questions plz ask here as i don't get notifications from that thread(wayyyy down my list of notifications so i odn't see it)

both XB and HFI are easy to drive. XB will improve with amping, as in you control the amount of bass it gives and how hard you want it to hit and what not and give it more power to chew on(i had some too much or too little problems). HFI is more of an audiophile improvement, unnoticeable for mainstream genres but when y ou really sit down at the end of the day and start..you wwant a good amp and DAC to make these shine with the good tracks.

oh sorry just remembered. euro's..the HFI and XB and the amps and DAC's...are soo soo cheap in america as compared to you guys. it might be tight. any specific questions?

Thanks so much!

So basically, it is looking like the XB700's.... they are £70 here which is way under budget.. would they shine better with an amp? Which one? 

In terms of sound quality, just for casual listening, is there much difference between the HFI and XB's?

Also, what is the difference in bass punch/quality/quantity between the XB500's and XB700's

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back