++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #12,721 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones..... I can spend maximum 200 dollars (I can spend a bit more if there is a huge jump in quality.) I listen to mainly hip hop and rock. I want an upgrade from my ATH-M50. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

LazBro123

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Ultrasone HFI 780. I have the 580. Mine's more bassy but also does well in rock..very well. One of the guys from drowning pool uses HFI 780's as his main set of headphones.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #12,722 of 29,490
Mar 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #12,724 of 29,490
 ^Just a heads up.  If you are interested in the ZX700, MacMall has them for $75 shipped.  I'll let someone more familiar with them answer your questions though.  They do have a good rep here, and there are plenty of threads and reviews regarding them...like this one over at Innerfidelity:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #12,725 of 29,490

Quote:
 ^Just a heads up.  If you are interested in the ZX700, MacMall has them for $75 shipped.  I'll let someone more familiar with them answer your questions though.  They do have a good rep here, and there are plenty of threads and reviews regarding them...like this one over at Innerfidelity:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #12,727 of 29,490

After doing a lil research, the AKG K-701/702, AKG Q-701, Sennheiser HD 600 and 650 seem to fit this sound signature I am looking for. The nice tight bass with tone but it isn't intrusive, nice highs and nice mids. The HD 650 sound the most appealing but people talk about some kind of veil that sounds worrying. I want nice clarity and a nice soundstage along with that. I couldn't really find any closed headphones that fit the bill, I was even willing to give up some soundstage. The AKG K550 were interesting but they seem to have issues with thin sounding mids or something. But I could be totally off track, I thought I was getting what I wanted with the D2000s but they are far too bassy for my tastes. Any suggestions for me to check out?
Quote:
I don't think the D2000s are doing it for me. I am looking for something that is good at all genres, has nice full mids, nice highs and nice bass that doesn't overpower but instead compliments. I listen mostly to classic rock, electronic music, classical, instrumentals and experimental rock, but I don't want to be locked into those genres on a headphone.Open or closed doesn't matter, I should also mention that I play games so they should be good for games too.

I want something far more neutral sounding, or at least less colored, something that presents all of the recording for me to hear and focus on. But I don't want something to lose it's energy. I've heard the Sennheiser sound and I'm fine with that more laid back energy, I just don't want something completely void of life. I'm planning on getting an O2 amp and then installing the ODAC when it comes out for maximum compatibility with all headphones unless anyone else has any better suggestions. I have 500 dollars for all of it, and I don't mind buying used headphones or open box.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #12,728 of 29,490
Are the Philips CitiScape Downtown's good? Tyll likes them, that may be enough to get me to buy them. I'm making my purchase tomorrow, and I would like to know which is better, the Downtown's or the ZX700's.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #12,729 of 29,490
I would like some advice on a setup. Would the Audio-Technica M50's plus the Fiio E11 be a good setup? I listen to music mainly through my iPhone 4s and macbook. would those be compatible? my budget for headphones is anywhere under $200 and I would prefer closed ear, if anyone would recomend a different pair of headphones. thanks in advance

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #12,730 of 29,490
Hi Everyone,

New here as of today. I recently bought a new system and now I'm looking to add a pair of headphones for both listening at home as well as for occasional longer trips with an iPod (mostly for home use). 

My equipment is as follows:

NAD c340 integrated amplifier. 
Acurus P10 phono pre.
Technics 1200MK2.
Grant Fidelity TubeDAC 09.
Energy RC-70 x2. 
HTPC w/ XBMC with Flac and mp3. 

I listen to a wide range of music from The Clash to Wu Tang to Joy Division to Frank Sinatra. I just like good music and I'm looking for headphones that will do well across a wide range of genres. 

I've narrowed down my search to the following:

Grado RS1/RS2
Grado 325is
Grado HF2
Alessandro MS2

I'm looking for an easy to drive headphone (around 32ohm) as the TubeDAC has been reported to work very well with the tube output on headphones in that range (should help to tame the brightness of the 325is if needed).

Am I on the right track here? Any other suggestions outside of Grado that work well for my needs (balanced, solid bass, true-ish representation of source material). 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #12,731 of 29,490

I would like some advice on a setup. Would the Audio-Technica M50's plus the Fiio E11 be a good setup? I listen to music mainly through my iPhone 4s and macbook. would those be compatible? my budget for headphones is anywhere under $200 and I would prefer closed ear, if anyone would recomend a different pair of headphones. thanks in advance

M-50s IMHO are a good headphone... 5 years ago. In the $200 range I would go with either the m80 from V moda or the HD25 1 ii from Sennheiser. The m-50s might seem attractive at first, but they tend to be a bit harsh and make your ears ACHE after 45 minutes. The HD 25 will isolate far better than the m80s but I prefer the sound signature of the m80s. It is a bit more balenced where as the HD25 is great for rock.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #12,733 of 29,490
I've been bouncing between ideas, but now I'm deciding to stick with a full size can for my next purchase.

Soundstage and bass are the most important, I want cans that do different things well than the Grado RS2i's I currently own.  That being said, I do love mids and highs, so as long as they have great bass and the mids/highs are balanced fairly well with it, and they have great soundstage I'd be happy.  I don't want basshead cans lol, just something with stellar, and balanced, bass.

I want to be able to use them portably, so they should be able to be driven to at least listenable volume out of a RoCoo P or maybe an Alo Rx/RSA SR-71a (that would come much much later)  Size isn't an issue, nor is weight.  I'm the kind of person who could use an LCD-2 for portable use and be perfectly happy.

Open vs closed isn't an issue for me, currently I'm happy to use the RS2i portably.

Must be a step up from the RS2i.

I'm impartial to circumaural vs supra aural, as long as they're comfortable.  Keep in mind I do wear glasses, so excessively high clamping pressure isn't desired, though the pressure of the M50s didn't bother me when I had them.

Budget is around $600.  If there's a perfect match at like, 700, then that's fine, I just change things incessantly when saving, so I'd like to finalize the purchase ASAP. :p

TL;DR, the Condensening:
1. bass/soundstage are the most important traits
2. $6-700 max.
3. Listenable volume out of the RoCoo P.
4. Step up from RS2i.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Edit: Would either the Beyer DT1350 or AT W1000X fit these criteria?  Or even the Sony MDR-F1?

Edit 2: Just purchased the MDR-F1s, now what I'd like suggestions on are portable use cans that are a lush and easy listen, but aren't dark.  Just a touch in the lush direction, and with really nicely extended, detailed bass.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #12,734 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a pair of headphones. My previous headphones are Sennheiser HD485s and Phillips HP910s. I prefer the sound and comfort (velvet pads <3) of the HP910s. Since I don't have a great vocabulary for these things, I'll cite someone else's description of their sound: "all of the frequencies are adequately represented. The bass is rolled off, the mids shine true, and the highs bright." So that is the kind of sound that I would prefer. I like to be able to hear deep bass frequencies but I don't like it to be exaggerated or boomy. They HP910s also seem to have more soundstage and the separation of different instrument is better. The HD485s in contrast sound a bit too much like my memory of the Grado SR60s, very "flat" sound, no soundstage, somewhat fatiguing.
I listen to a wide range of music, but if the cans were to sound especially good with certain types of music they should be techno/electronica/downtempo/ambient.

So here's what I'm looking for:
Budget: ~$100
Comfort: Very important, I listen for long periods (~6-8 hours at a time)
Size: Ideally portable (I travel for 3/4ths of the year), note that I consider the HD485s to be portable
Sound: Big soundstage

So far I have been considering:
Audio-Techncia ATH-ES7
Fischer Audio FA-004/Incipico nx104
AKG K518 LE (afraid they might be too bassy)
Panasonic RP-HT770 / Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Would any of these cans actually be an upgrade from what I have now? Am I missing an obvious choice?

Thanks!

In addition to the CALs, you might like the AKG k 240 studio.  They are light and comfortable (like the CALs but have bigger ear cups) and now can be picked up for about $90 shipped from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back