++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #12,241 of 29,490
IDK about that o.0 they are usually tight to the ear which doesn't allow much sound stage, but I removed the original ear cups, and put in bigger ones from an old generic pair I had lying around. I also use an amp that is tuned for gaming, and have a program for my computer that lets me change the equalizer for output. I changed it around enough to where footsteps are nice and loud :3 I also sound whore quite a lot so good bye hearing :D

Fluck so I can't use them for gaming out of the box??

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #12,242 of 29,490

Quote:
Fluck so I can't use them for gaming out of the box??

You definitely can, you just have limited 3-dimensional hearing view. As in it won't feel like you can hear in a circle around you, but a little more limited. These are definitely music headphones, but I used them for gaming before I modified them or used any amps or programs and they worked great. They aren't the "turtle beach sound whoring hear EVERYBODY IN THE DAMN GAME!!!!!!!!!...." (rage) kind of thing, but they get the job done.

(If you haven't noticed, I hate people who use Turtle Beaches for gaming, too powerful >_<

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #12,243 of 29,490
Howdy. Would I be better off getting DT 990/880 32 ohm, DT 990/880 250 ohm, or AKG Q701 for general home use with the computer? I have Xonar DG (up to 150 ohms output) and no amplifier but then again I enjoy moderate to low sound levels so I'm not even sure if I need an amp.  I like balanced sound with bass so they can be used a wide variety of music as well as gaming. Are there better alternatives I should consider? I originally wanted HD518 but I was told by MalVeauX to get the best I can afford to not regret poor purchases in the future. Thanks in advance!

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #12,244 of 29,490

Quote:
Howdy. Would I be better off getting DT 880 32 ohm, DT 880 250 ohm, or AKG Q701 for general home use with the computer? I have Xonar DG (up to 150 ohms output) and no amplifier but then again I enjoy moderate to low sound levels so I'm not even sure if I need an amp.  I like balanced sound with bass so they can be used a wide variety of music as well as gaming. Are there better alternatives I should consider? I originally wanted HD518 but I was told by MalVeauX to get the best I can afford to not regret poor purchases in the future. Thanks in advance!

For computer use (without an amp) you almost have to go with the single 32 ohm choice from your list.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #12,245 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I'm new here on the forum although often read your article.
Recently I decided to change my headphones.
Currently I have Sony MDR-7505 (not hi-fi you might say) and a Bravo v2 amp. I have the 7005 for a decade and after taking them for club mix and a little studio use, I decided to change to a more refine earphone which i hope will change my way of listening to the music.
Obviously they will not have to follow me to the studio or in the clubs, because now it is thing of the past.

For now my choice leans toward several model:
sennheiser hd 598 but I'm afraid it crack.
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Grado SR-80i
I'm not really affect by the fact that some model are open desing

I mostly listen music thru my iphone and pc so a DAC in is the futur too
I listen a little bit of everything from guitar to jazz to dubstep.

Any help is apreciate 

Hyk

Those are three very different sounding phones and none is particularly durable for sustained portable use.  Two are open and the AT is closed.  There's not enough information to make a recommendation among the three and it's quite possible that you might do better with another set of choices. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #12,246 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking at buying some new headphones for work, something more comfortable than the Sony MDR-V6s that I'm currently using. They need to be closed and easy to drive (they'll be used unamped with a Zune, iPod and cell phone). I really like a sound signature with slightly emphasized bass, neutral to bright on the treble, and I don't care about sound stage. Comfort is the most important factor, the ear cups need to be bigger than the V6s so I can wear them for a couple hours at a time without my ears getting sore (yeah, I have kinda big ears). The Beyerdynamic DT770-80's were the first things that came to mind, I used to have the 250 ohm version and loved everything about them but the distant mids. I'm looking to stay in the $200 range, I'd go up to $250 if it was really worth it but the cheaper the better.

The Beyers could work, but also consider the Denon D2000s.

Quote:
Hi guys, audio newbie here. I've been looking at reviews and digging around a ton but i have yet to say 'i want that headphone'. I have a big old pioneer amp (SA-900) pretty old machine but it works. I mostly listen to rock, metal, br00talz metal and sometimes even indie pop but i pretty much listen all around. I'm mainly going to use it for use at home and i'd really prefer it if it had very low leakage. Budget wise i'm pretty much looking for around 200 USD but since i live in Turkey i might not be able to obtain some headphones.

So basically:
- around 200$
- rock, metal (needs to have good bass for that doom metal)
- low leakage
- over ear, i really hate on ears
- has to be comfy
- i don't really care much about portability, if it gets into my knapsack then it's good

I've been looking at these headphones:
- AT M50
- Ultrasone 20Th Anniversary (basically the 650s i've read)
- Denon D2000s (a little out of my budget + shipping would pretty much be :/ for me)
- Grado (sadly these are all open cans i've pushed them to the side)

Hope that helps, thanks!

M50s and Ultrasone HFI780s seem to fit. 

Quote:
Hi!

I have been stalking Head-Fi for a while now, but this is my first post.

For the past 7 years I have been using a pair of Stantons that I bought relatively cheaply and considering they have been dragged and thrown almost daily from location to location they were worth every penny. They have started falling apart though. I keep repairing them but it is just a pain in the bum. I am sure they are also not the best headphones around but I found them fairly neutral and my ears are used to them so they had their use.

As a replacement I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's someone left lying around. I hate them. They are uncomfortable, painfully so even (I wear glasses), and they sound muffled, closed in, with flabby bass, just awful.

So I have 100 Euro to spend (131 USD / 83 GBP), no more.

I tried out a pair of KRK KNS 6400 from a friend, and I really really like them. I did an extensive listening test basically using them for everything I intend to use them for. I also read all entries about them here on Head-Fi and other pages. So I am fairly convinced and am about to order them. The place I order my gear offers them for 99 Euro.

I was just wondering if anybody would have another suggestion in the same price range, nothing over 100 Euro.

I will be using them for mixing/mastering/editing. So neutrality, detailing, sound stage is important to me. As is sound isolation. I work in fairly noisy environments sometimes, and I also want to shield others from my noise.

I will also be using them simply for listening to music and watching movies when I don't want to disturb others.

The music I listen to / work with, is across the board as far as genres go. I listen to quite a lot of Jazz and contemporary composition (classical), but also abstract electronic / IDM, electro, noise rock, extreme metal, sludge, industrial noise, folk, singer/songwriter, pop, almost any genre as long as it is progressive in its approach. Some is exceptionally well produced/engineered, some (sometimes intentionally) not.

The mastering is mainly for music that was recorded live through the mixing board, some of it will be studio recorded or created in the computer. Some of the use will be recording sound on location.

So, any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers!

If you've heard the KRKs and you like how they sound, I'd say just go for them. At least from what little I've read, they seem to perform very well for your price, so I don't think you'll find anything that blows them out of the water for your money.

Quote:
I'm looking for some closed phones, right now I have some modded sr80i's and I love their sound signature. Are there any closed cans that sound similar to these? Or is that near impossible to find?
Thanks a lot!

Well, since they're modded, I guess we'll need to know how your Grados sound? I can't hear what you're hearing over the internet, unfortunately...
tongue.gif

Quote:
Best balenced Earbuds for under $30 shipped to Canada. 

That's really vague, but maybe a Soundmagic PL30 or Brainwavz Beta?

Quote:
Hi,

HD598 vs Shure SRH 940? I will be listening to just music (not electro) and playing the piano/midi keyboard. Sources will be Galaxy S/Laptop + Fiio E5.

I own: PX-80, Panasonics HTX7 and Etys MC5 (I hate them).

Sens are around 280 usd and Shure 230 usd. I really like the 598 looks, Shure seems so much DJs.

Thanks!

Well, one's open and one's closed, so if you're using them portably at all, go closed. However, Shures are supposed to be a tad treble-happy and analytical, so if you hate the Etys, chances are you'll dislike these too. The 598 is excellent all-around, but to drive them to their full potential, you might want a better amp. if you give me more parameters I can suggest more, maybe. (i.e. sound sig, hard budget, etc.)

Quote:
So I'm looking for a cheap pair of headphones that I can take with me when traveling that are circumaural. Around me I can get the AKG K-44MKII for $20 and Pioneer SE-MJ5 for $30 and both seem like a decent closed headphone for that price range. It'll mainly be for my mobile gaming, and I don't want to take around my Fischers. So any thoughts on the 2? I do really like the compact form of the SE-MJ5 since I have a case that would fit that style well.

If they're just a backup pair, maybe prioritizing usability over sound might actually be a good idea. I haven't heard a lot about either, but at that price, I don't know that the difference will be too huge. If one is just more convenient for you, go with those.

Quote:
Hello, I'm new here on the forum although often read your article.
Recently I decided to change my headphones.
Currently I have Sony MDR-7505 (not hi-fi you might say) and a Bravo v2 amp. I have the 7005 for a decade and after taking them for club mix and a little studio use, I decided to change to a more refine earphone which i hope will change my way of listening to the music.
Obviously they will not have to follow me to the studio or in the clubs, because now it is thing of the past.

For now my choice leans toward several model:
sennheiser hd 598 but I'm afraid it crack.
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Grado SR-80i
I'm not really affect by the fact that some model are open desing

I mostly listen music thru my iphone and pc so a DAC in is the futur too
I listen a little bit of everything from guitar to jazz to dubstep.

Any help is apreciate 

Hyk

Are you going to be listening outside or in public at all? If so, you'll want closed headphones, as open ones let in too much sound for you to focus on the music. Some examples that could work for you are the M50, HFI780, HM5, SRH840, etc. If you'll be at home exclusively, I'd say go for the Sennheisers, as they're supposed to be very good all-around headphones. I wouldn't worry too much about the cracking, as it's only cosmetic, and I've heard it's been fixed in the latest batches.

Quote:
Alright now..can someone tell me what to get between the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones and the Audio-Technica M50??
I'm in Aus and I know someone selling the V-Moda headphones for $130. The M50 however costs $160 more or less..
Will be listening to hip hop and rap and will be using it outdoors too..and also might try it out for FPS gaming but music is the main requirement...

The M50 all the way. The original crossfades are quite muddy and bassy, and the M50s beat them pretty much in every way. I wouldn't worry too much about the soundstage, as I've never noticed any horrible soundstaging in my pair, though it could be just me... Also, I don't think the Crossfades would be any better in that regard.

Quote:
I just bought a pair of Ad700's and ive been reading reviews saying they are not very good for music. I did buy them primarily to replace the crappy logitech headset i had so they will serve their purpose for that but I want to buy somthing that is really geared towards music. I listen to alot of electronic stuff and a little bit of rock. Portability is not a big issue neither is them having really bad bleed. Budget i would like to stay at around 200$ but I can stretch to 250$ if i need to. Im from canada but i can order from other countries (anybody from the Great White North know a canadian e-tailer that has a good selection?).

Thanks alot guys!

Well, have you heard them yet? Maybe you should make that judgement yourself before you drop another $250 on another pair of headphones. 
rolleyes.gif
 That being said, maybe look into the Denon D2000s for closed, or the Senn HD598s for open. At lower price points you have stuff like the M50s and HFI580/780s.

Quote:
Oh boy.. i posted here before and had some great help but now i need some more lol...

i need a good pair of headphones from 1-150$

Music:
Rock
HipHop
Dubstep
Rap

I'm looking for something portable and nice. If anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Well I've already talked to you, but I'll reiterate the M50s, HFI780s, and the like.

Quote:
Howdy. Would I be better off getting DT 990/880 32 ohm, DT 990/880 250 ohm, or AKG Q701 for general home use with the computer? I have Xonar DG (up to 150 ohms output) and no amplifier but then again I enjoy moderate to low sound levels so I'm not even sure if I need an amp.  I like balanced sound with bass so they can be used a wide variety of music as well as gaming. Are there better alternatives I should consider? I originally wanted HD518 but I was told by MalVeauX to get the best I can afford to not regret poor purchases in the future. Thanks in advance!

Just to clear things up, amps are not necessarily to make things loud, but rather to give body and strength to the sound, if that makes any sense. Without an amp, headphones with amping requirements are liable to sound weak, bass-light, and uncontrolled. Moving on, I think your soundcard might be able to drive the Q701 and the low-impedance beyers fairly well. For general music and gaming, I'd lean towards the Q701 for their soundstage, but I can't be definitive since I've ever heard either. Check this direct comparison, though: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592630/akg-q701-vs-dt990-600-ohm-comparison-review

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #12,247 of 29,490
Hi guys.

I've been in a predicament the past couple days. I don't know what headphones to choose. I have three which are all supposed to be very good.

Sony XB300's
JVC HARX700
Sampson SR850
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

All are in my price range ($50). All of them have good reviews. But I really don't know which one to choose out of all of them. I game a lot but do not really care much about the sound while I game because usually I'm too concentrated on the game and usually my eyes help me more then my ears. I have a very bad choice of music and would probably be killed if I told you exactly but its pop and it has a lot of electronic noises and synths. If you really need an example they have a dollar sign in their name.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #12,248 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys.

I've been in a predicament the past couple days. I don't know what headphones to choose. I have three which are all supposed to be very good.

Sony XB300's
JVC HARX700
Sampson SR850
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

All are in my price range ($50). All of them have good reviews. But I really don't know which one to choose out of all of them. I game a lot but do not really care much about the sound while I game because usually I'm too concentrated on the game and usually my eyes help me more then my ears. I have a very bad choice of music and would probably be killed if I told you exactly but its pop and it has a lot of electronic noises and synths. If you really need an example they have a dollar sign in their name.

So then I assume you'd like a little bass in your music? :wink: Out of the ones you've listed (4 not 3?), the Samsons will be more neutral (maybe bass-light?) and detailed, while the JVCs and Panasonics will be warmer and heavy on bass (esp. the JVCs). The XB300, based on hearing the XB500s, will be entierly devoted to the bottom end, while sacrificing treble and midrange clarity. I'd recommend against them, personally.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #12,249 of 29,490
Hi everybody!

Anybody here could give me more info on the new focal spirit one headphones?? I would like to know about its sound quality, and i have found close to zero info out there.

Thanks for any help i get

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #12,250 of 29,490
Hello, I've been going back and forth and I still can't find the best cans for myself.
Requirements:
- very comfortable
- open design
- 150$ - 250$ (at Europe prices). cheaper is better 
- mostly for rock and vocal music

Will be driving them through Fiio E10. I have been looking at hd558/hd598 but I'm afraid of the lack of the bass (not a basshead though).

Also I'm willing to buy second hand if the phones meet the requirements and can be shipped to EU.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #12,251 of 29,490
Hello, i am looking for some headphones under the $200 range. I listen to Electro, house, and Cumbia. So they should have a decently good amount of bass.And i will be using with my mp3 player.Thank you.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #12,252 of 29,490
I don't know if I'm at the right thread here, because I don't want too big headphones like my sony xb-700. I want smaller and cheaper headphones, I'm gonna spend max 50 euros on them because I've already paid enough for the xb-700. I'm just gonna wear the headphones outside, so on the bike or in class or any other place that's not home. I'm gonna use the headphones with my Cowon J3. Does anyone have suggestions for me please?
thanks!

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #12,253 of 29,490

Quote:
Sony XB300's
JVC HARX700
Sampson SR850
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

I'm not a fan of the Sony XB series.
Have not not really seen anything negative said about the HA-RX700.

With the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, you can add Velour ear pads (Beyerdynamic EDT 200) for only $20-$25.
The RP-HTF600-S also has more bass then the SR850 (the SR850 is made by Superlux).
I'm guessing (?) the Samson SR850 is a little better for surround sound then the others.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #12,254 of 29,490

Those are three very different sounding phones and none is particularly durable for sustained portable use.  Two are open and the AT is closed.  There's not enough information to make a recommendation among the three and it's quite possible that you might do better with another set of choices. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you going to be listening outside or in public at all? If so, you'll want closed headphones, as open ones let in too much sound for you to focus on the music. Some examples that could work for you are the M50, HFI780, HM5, SRH840, etc. If you'll be at home exclusively, I'd say go for the Sennheisers, as they're supposed to be very good all-around headphones. I wouldn't worry too much about the cracking, as it's only cosmetic, and I've heard it's been fixed in the latest batches.

I understand that these are three different model, time where my headphones have to following me around is now behind me.

I plan to use them only at home in a quiet environment.
no external use, or studio this time.

I will treat them as baby

I research this time, a brilliant sound quality and more refined that'll play well electronic music, so bass should be good  but will also be able to play classic, in short, a bit of everything ...

I really listen all musical style, and I guess it is dificult to find the right headphone.

Here I find it dificult to find and test different models before buying this is why I ask here.

Stores by only keeps the popular brand and I'm tired that the only suggestion they have is Beat Monster, Bose and Sony.
It's like shopping for a Rolex watch and everyone tries to sell you a timex.^^

Finding another pair for studio is not a problemit's just not the goal this time although the M50 sounds very well.

I also apologize if some of you getting hard time to understand me. English is not my native language and i dont have much time to practice either.

thx.

Hyk

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #12,255 of 29,490
Hi everyone!

These will be my first high quality (relative to what I have now) headphones, so I need to be sure I have a good setup. What I listen to:

40% Music (very wide range, but I'm not a basshead. No dubstep. Hard rock or light hip hop is probably the most bass-intensive I get). 
40% Games (not FPS - mostly action and strategy)
10% Movies (well-rounded set, with a lean toward action)

From my research, the AD700 seems standard and a good starting point. $100-$150 USD is my range for headphones, possibly $200 if they're THAT much better. Is that my best bet? I also need a soundcard for my PC (I hear the headphone jack won't do justice). Being new, I didn't plan to invest much. I was thinking Xonar DG. Is there a better entry level card (or one that will last)? I'm also looking at the FiiO E5 (reviews I read say E5 is warmer than E6, which may help slightly with the bass. I hear overall the E6 is better, so I'm not positive what to do here). If I would be better off asking about the E5/DG somewhere else, I can ask in a different subforum.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back