++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #11,492 of 29,490
I'm seeking guidance!
I currently have an iPhone 4 with the EQu app and the Bowers And Wilkins P5 headphones.
I also have an old iPod classic lying around (i heard they were good for modding so I might try that later).

I have maybe around 400$ for new equipment.... Since I'm mainly on the go I'd like something closed back and not gigantic. I'm not a bass head... if I had to choose between a darker sound or brighter sound I'd probably go with the ones with brighter sound.

Headphones I've been looking at: beyer t70...
Denon d5000

The thing with the d5000 I'd be scared of damaging them if I go out. Since my bowers are on ear I'd prefer an over ear this time. I'm not a fan of IEMs, they cause me discomfort.

I heard some people had bass problems with the beyer t70, would my iphone/ipod + digizoid zo2 + t70 be a good choice? Would you recommend a different setup / headphones?

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #11,493 of 29,490
Hi, I am looking for a new pair of headphones that would satisfy the expected quality I listen to. I plan to use them with my computer, Galaxy S2, and my iPod Touch. I do not use headphone amps.  
More common music I listen to:
Dubstep, Drum and Bass, R&B, Rock, Instrumental (ex. game music)

Basically, I would like headphones with noticeable bass (enough to feel a bass drop, but not distort my other types of music I prefer) and balanced and high sound quality overall on the music I listen to. I would like to feel the all around warmth and highs of the song, without losing too much of something else. I kinda expect quality higher than the QC15s, isolation is not concerned.

Price range:
Anywhere from $100 to ~$200. You may recommend anything higher, tax not included, preferred to be purchasable in Canada.

Preference:
Sound quality, bass stronger than the Klipsch Image S4 and comfort for up to 3 hours

Some have recommended me the ATH-M50s, but some people have said that the M50s are overrated.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #11,494 of 29,490

tl;dr:

Have Q701 and Valhalla at home, want a set for office.
Have second pair of Q701, buy asgard and use at office?
Grado SR80 or SR325?
Do not want AD700/AD900.
Looking for suggestions.

I went through a bit of a phase choosing my first set of cans. i went from SRH840 to ATH-M50s to AD700 to AD900 to SR225 finally to Q701. And I paired my Q701 with a valhalla to boot.

That was for the home, now i want something for the office. I want something that has the same qualities of the Q701 and Valhalla pairing, but I want these new cans to be able to be driven straight off of my iPhone (maybe).

I have another pair of Q701's laying around, that depending on what i decide to do, I may or may not sell.

I'm looking at some grados', namely the sr80, or sr325. But i ultimately want an around-ear headphone, so if i got grado's i would probably get the PS1000 earpads.

Alternatively, I might pick up an Asgard and use that with my second pair of Q701's in the office (I dont think this would be that bad of an idea, but i definitely want some variety).

I dont want another pair of AD900's, as i found them to be too analytical, and the midbass and bass were lacking.

Any Suggestions?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #11,495 of 29,490

Quote:
Started off looking for  < $100 headphones, but the more I read, the more I realize it's not that cut and dry.

This simple question has really turned into a learning experience for me about headphones, and sound quality in general. My criteria is much more complicated now and I was hoping I could receive some help from the community. If I listed qualities I want in a headphone for under $100, could you guys help me out?

1) Price, under $100. This is definitely a hard limit, I told my wife $75, so my limit is $100 lol. 10/10 importance.

2) Closed over-ear headphones. I really don't like earbuds, and I prefer over-ear vs on-ear. 9/10

2) Leakage. I want to mainly use these for work and I don't want to be disturbed or disturb others. We are all software developers so sometimes we appreciate some silence.  It is for this reason that I am not interested in any open style headphones like the Grado SR 60i or the Porta pro. 8/10.

3) Decent sound quality without neglecting lows. This is for listening enjoyment only, so I don't think I need something as bassy as the xb500, but I do listen to a lot of electronic music lately, so being able to hear extended lows is as important as having "punchy" bass. Again, the xb500's leak a lot I hear, so they wouldn't work for me. 8/10

4) Doesn't require an amp to sound great. I would like something I could power from a phone/portable mp3 player. 7/10.

6) Misc: Detachable cord, comfort, single cord, case/bag. Not really important to me. 2/10

5) Looks I do not care about. 0/10.

Some headphones I had considered:
Grado SR 60i: Had considered, but I'm afraid of leakage.
Sony mdr-xb500: Same fear about leakage, so no longer considering these as a purchase.

Am now considering:
Sony MDR-V6: Heard that these are solid, but also hear that I might be able to get more bang for my buck.
Sennheiser HD 205-II: These seem like a good fit for me, but I haven't heard much about them.
Sennheiser HD 448: Worried not much low-end range.
Koss PRO DJ 100: Heard these are very uncomfortable.
Shure SRH440: Worried these are better as monitors and not very fun to listen to.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!.

Second the Creative Aurvana live suggestion, though if you can get the DJ100s to fit comfortably that's an option as well.

Quote:
Hi, just joined the forums after lurking for a while (A WHILE) and am finally taking the plunge into high end(ish) audio.

Currently, I've picked out the Schiit Asgard for an amp and am currently deciding between the Schiit Bifrost, ZERO 24/192khz DAC or NFB-12.1 for a DAC, all to drive either the Sennheiser  HD650s, BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm or something else in a similar price range. After reading reviews for both I can't really come to a definitive conclusion on which to choose. (although I can only find the HD650s in a similar price bracket to the DT880s refurbished)

I listen to mostly metal, with some post rock and shoegaze thrown in for good measure. All my music is converted to FLAC, APE and 320k mp3 file formats if that helps, any information would be greatly appreciated!

From what I've read it seems the HD650 might be a bit dark for metal...

Quote:
I've read that the macbook can produce great output sound, is there any truth in that? and how about if I am listening to good quality music? Like 320kbps files or even Flac files? Would the E11 be worth the shot? Most of the music on my laptop are copied on my portable gadgets so, I'm gonna use the amp mostly on my portable gadgets and on the laptop only when I watch movies.

I don't really want to spend $100 on the E7 wherein I could get the same or, at least, similar performance with the E11. But I must say, I was a bit tempted when you said "The E7 will bypass your laptop's onboard sound completely, and convert the audio in its truest, purest form" :D

TBH, I don't think the E7's sound card will make a huge difference to you, given your other equipment. I say buy the E11 for the better standalone amp and don't worry for mow about the sound card. Save the money and buy an E17 later.

Quote:
Looking for portable circumaurals to use for listening to music through my HTC on the way to class.

1) No flying buttress design (what I mean is headphones that leave open space between head and headband, like my KRK KNS 8400s); so I want form fitting to head
2) No need for amp
3) Comfortable
4) Short cable
5) Small, lightweight

Honestly, sound quality is my least concern. Portability and comfort are more important. Budget is $120. If I had to sum up what I'm looking for, it would be circumaural ESW9s-that's exactly the form factor I'm looking for.

Well, pretty much all headphones are going to leave a certain amount of space there, though maybe not as much as DJ cans. Look at the Creative Aurvana Lives, and perhaps some of the Phiaton cans (I think you can find the PS320 for less than $100).

Quote:
I am so glad I came across this thread!
I am a beginner, looking for good (used) headphones. I wanna spend about $100-$200, but the problem is I don't really know what I want!
Current audio equipment: A-Jays One, Fake Beats, Subwoofer as big as a computer tower (no-name brand).

Musical tastes:

Portal 2 Soundtrack

Noisestorm Solar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zk7vdtTHYM

Klaypex Feel Alright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpSEaPzg2g

Deadmau5 moar Ghosts n Stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWk-aInsow&ob=av3e

Noisestorm Somewhere in Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQTxaZ-aD_Y

Personal Jesus Dubstep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2yGvnbaFk

One day I heard my artist friend's $600 producing headphones. BEST 5min of my life...

I really don't want insanely overly-insanity bass to the max. Personal Jesus on the subwoofer is amazing tho...

A Jays One have a nice amount of bass.

I want to get some headphones that are in an entire new level than what I have now.

Almost bought Senn 555 or 558, but then backed out over price.

Most audio source comes from computer, phone, etc. I am not afraid to go FLAC if needed.

Will buy headphone amp if necessary, probably Filo F5 (although I listen to music on lowest volume notch (android phone) on A Jays)

This also means the headphones must sing at low volume levels, since I listen to it quiet.

I want some over the ear cans that will be incredibly clear and comfortable.

Sorry for being needy, I just have no clue what to do.

PS: I like how Q701's look. I do a little tiny bit of gaming, too.

Thank you so much all the professionals who donate time to help people like me!

Well, the 558s do fit nicely in your price range, and seem to fit most of the requirements, but... Well, will you be using them out and about? if so, you want a closed pair, as open pairs don't isolate at all and leak sound as well. For closed cans you can look into the M50s, SRH840s, HM5/FA-003, D2000, and the HFI780s, to name a few. If you go open, there's the 558/598s, and the Q701.

Quote:
I'm seeking guidance!
I currently have an iPhone 4 with the EQu app and the Bowers And Wilkins P5 headphones.
I also have an old iPod classic lying around (i heard they were good for modding so I might try that later).
I have maybe around 400$ for new equipment.... Since I'm mainly on the go I'd like something closed back and not gigantic. I'm not a bass head... if I had to choose between a darker sound or brighter sound I'd probably go with the ones with brighter sound.
Headphones I've been looking at: beyer t70...
Denon d5000
The thing with the d5000 I'd be scared of damaging them if I go out. Since my bowers are on ear I'd prefer an over ear this time. I'm not a fan of IEMs, they cause me discomfort.
I heard some people had bass problems with the beyer t70, would my iphone/ipod + digizoid zo2 + t70 be a good choice? Would you recommend a different setup / headphones?

Both the T70 and the D5000 are pretty big FYI, and will probably be a bit awkward for portable use. Also, what's wrong with the P5s as portables? They have a really nice, compact form factor... Maybe check out the SRH940s or Brainwavz HM5 though.

Quote:
Hi, I am looking for a new pair of headphones that would satisfy the expected quality I listen to. I plan to use them with my computer, Galaxy S2, and my iPod Touch. I do not use headphone amps.  
More common music I listen to:
Dubstep, Drum and Bass, R&B, Rock, Instrumental (ex. game music)

Basically, I would like headphones with noticeable bass (enough to feel a bass drop, but not distort my other types of music I prefer) and balanced and high sound quality overall on the music I listen to. I would like to feel the all around warmth and highs of the song, without losing too much of something else. I kinda expect quality higher than the QC15s, isolation is not concerned.

Price range:
Anywhere from $100 to ~$200. You may recommend anything higher, tax not included, preferred to be purchasable in Canada.

Preference:
Sound quality, bass stronger than the Klipsch Image S4 and comfort for up to 3 hours

Some have recommended me the ATH-M50s, but some people have said that the M50s are overrated.

The M50s are pretty good, but above $150 have more competition. Cans in the same tier include the V-Moda M80s, SRH840s, HD25s, HFI780s, and HM5.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #11,496 of 29,490

First thanks for your help so far, much appreciated :)

The DT770, SHR940 and the D5000's where recommended to me earlier, however as 50an6xy06r6n stated it all depends on the signature that im after. So to that end I enjoy something thats got lots of detail and wont feel sloppy with fast guitars and multiple instruments (fast metal for example), I really like my music to have good detail and clarity as well as a nice soundstage. Preferably something thats fun and engaging (i hope none of these are mutually exclusive). Im willing to forgo some bass and spend more/less money for something that will meet my requirements better.

I have a few questions about the, DT770, SHR940s and the D5000 recommended earlier:
  • How would these rank against each other in terms of noise leakage (which is more important to me than sound getting in. As they are for a very quiet office and uni libraries where the librarians bat-like hearing is only outdone by their hatred of sounds and cruelty to students).
  • Which of the three could I get the most out of for using it with a little portable amp like a e7 and my ipod (or android).
  • Which of the three could I get the most out of powering it with a nuforce HDP (which i use for my home headphones).
  • Am I better off getting another cheap amp/dac to use at work (where I will use these mostly) as the nuforce is a good fit for the HD650's but im not sure if they are for the 3 headphones above?

Once again thanks for the help thus far and in advance! :)

Quote: My original Criteria
Hey All,
I have similar requirements to the previous post but to reiterate.

1. Music Types: metal, melodic death metal, occasionally softer metal
  2. Headphone Type: closed is a must as i need really good isolation (quiet office environment).
  3. Price: Im flexible with price but I have no problem with around 600 (more if necessary).
  4. Other Equipment: I have just purchased a pair of Senn HD650 and before you say it, that is how I like my metal when im at home nice and mellow and warm. I will be buying a desktop amp and dac as well (yet to be decided on). I would like to buy a pair of headphones for on the go and at work. I would like more up beat and brighter and more fun for this.

Now that the context is out of the way. I would like to buy a pair of headphones and a portable amp/dac (one unit prefered  for logistics) I will be driving it with a digital source. What are a good combo of headphones and amd/dac that meet my requirements?

Thanks in advance,
PS: if you need any more info just ask im happy to provide

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 could work for those genres, but also look into SRH940s and D5000. It depends a lot on your preferred sound signature, as there aren't a ton of closed cans at that price point.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #11,497 of 29,490
Hi, I'm brand new here and as many other i'm seeking advice as to which headphones to purchase. I'm looking for a set of good quality over the ear headphones that won't wear out real fast. For price i need to stay under $100. I recently bout a Zoom R24 and am going to be doing lots of recording so, i need some headphones that are versatile,"something that will sound amazing with my ipod, zoom r24, and my computer." I have to stay under $100 dollars, and after spending days on end doing research i still can't decide/find what i want in that price range. I want accurate sound reproduction so what i hear while im mixing is what it will sound like when played threw other devices, and i do want good bass, but not "boomy." I have friends with sets of $40 skull candies and what not and the bass is overly present but is sickening in a bad way, "very muddy." On some songs its okay but on any normal song everything sounds so muddy as they'r trying to boost the bass and it ruins it. I just want clear punchy bass, clear highs/mids with accurate sound reproduction on the full spectrum. I mostly listen to rock,but occasionally a little pop, and my main concern is recording. I think i'm going to need to stick with closed back as sound leakage is an issue when recording and listening in public. What would you guys recommend/what do you all use? So far what i'v looked at and am considering is these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DP1FTU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2GJA5U61FKKCM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DP594W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A13ACIRM091OJE

I could really use some help with this,and any feedback/help is greatly appretiated. Thanks for your time...

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #11,499 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm brand new here and as many other i'm seeking advice as to which headphones to purchase. I'm looking for a set of good quality over the ear headphones that won't wear out real fast. For price i need to stay under $100. I recently bout a Zoom R24 and am going to be doing lots of recording so, i need some headphones that are versatile,"something that will sound amazing with my ipod, zoom r24, and my computer." I have to stay under $100 dollars, and after spending days on end doing research i still can't decide/find what i want in that price range. I want accurate sound reproduction so what i hear while im mixing is what it will sound like when played threw other devices, and i do want good bass, but not "boomy." I have friends with sets of $40 skull candies and what not and the bass is overly present but is sickening in a bad way, "very muddy." On some songs its okay but on any normal song everything sounds so muddy as they'r trying to boost the bass and it ruins it. I just want clear punchy bass, clear highs/mids with accurate sound reproduction on the full spectrum. I mostly listen to rock,but occasionally a little pop, and my main concern is recording. I think i'm going to need to stick with closed back as sound leakage is an issue when recording and listening in public. What would you guys recommend/what do you all use? So far what i'v looked at and am considering is these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DP1FTU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2GJA5U61FKKCM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DP594W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A13ACIRM091OJE

I could really use some help with this,and any feedback/help is greatly appretiated. Thanks for your time...

Try the Koss DJ100s or Sony V6/7506. The 440s might work as well.

Quote:
@ 50an6xy06r6n - What does dark mean in relation to the sound? Is it that "veil" I've heard the HD650s have? And how would that affect metal?

Dark is a general term (at least how I've seen it used) to describe a lack of treble energy. Since metal has a lot of textured, distorted guitar, I imagine it might take a bit of the edge and energy out of it. Yeah, I think that's what the veil is

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #11,500 of 29,490
Hello!  I'm new to this website and I need some advice.  I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be posting in, but I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones.  They're for me to listen to music while I'm lying in bed, and they have to be wireless so that I don't accidentally strangle myself with a cord when I fall asleep. XD  The price range should be somewhere between $100 - $250.   I'm going to run the music out through my laptop so the range doesn't have to be very far at all.  I maily listen to Japanese music, so the bass doesn't have to be very strong, but I don't mind if it is.  Having clear mids and highs are more important, though.  I haven't owned any headphones before, so I'm open to any and all suggestions, no matter how many.  Thanks again for your help!

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #11,501 of 29,490
Here's a rather noobie question, but, seeing as how determining which headphones are better than another is subjective, is there a store that offers a sort of "trial" period for headphones?  I've noticed in other threads that people mention buying two headphones and returning the one they do not like.  I'm a college student so I can't afford to buy an expensive pair of headphones and then realize I do not like them.  What are some stores or sites that offer this kind of service?  Also, is it usually a full refund or a partial refund?

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #11,502 of 29,490
Hello all. I'm having some problems with deciding what headphones/headset to buy.
Originally I was going to buy a pair of Sennheiser PC360s and an Asus Xonar U3 for my setup. Unfortunately, that would set me back £150, and since seeing my bills and being a student etc etc, I just can't afford this anymore :frowning2: My current headset is still on the way out, so I do need some sort of replacement. My budget now is only around £50, possibly £60 but that's a stretch. I play lots of games and use Skype everyday, so a good microphone is important to me. Furthermore I have no available analog ports on my laptop, so if I don't have a USB connected headset, then I need to spend £30 on the Xonar U3. Is it even possible to buy a half decent headset at this price? I'll leave it up to you guys to decide! :3

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :3

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #11,503 of 29,490
I'm sure all of you are very tired of answering basically the same answers, but I'll try my luck!

So, I listen to music for hours almost every day, directly from my iMac. I don't have an amp, I just have the HD598's which I actually really like, but I'm going to give them away either way.

Now I'm looking to upgrade, with a budget of about 300$-500$ for the headphones and then I guess I need an amp (and/or DAC as well?).

The models I've been looking at more closely are the following: AKG Q701, Sennheiser 600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT880. Any other suggestions, for over-ear headphones in that price range more or less?

I have listened to them all, except the DT880.. And so far I really like the Q701, except that they have really little bass and I do occasionally listen to music that requires a bit more bass than that.. I also watch a lot of movies. I also listened to the 600/650, but only briefly so I'm not sure about these.

Then about the amp and DAC thing.... Will an amp alone make a noticeable difference? Will a DAC alone make a noticeable difference, more so than just an amp? And will a DAC and amp together make an even more noticeable difference? I was looking at the FiiO desktop models and also this one: LINK which someone recommended because they apparently compete with amps much more expensive..

I'm having a really hard time choosing, so any help is much appreciated!

BTW: Anyone know where I can test some headphones like these in Switzerland? Somewhere in the middle.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #11,504 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm sure all of you are very tired of answering basically the same answers, but I'll try my luck!

So, I listen to music for hours almost every day, directly from my iMac. I don't have an amp, I just have the HD598's which I actually really like, but I'm going to give them away either way.

Now I'm looking to upgrade, with a budget of about 300$-500$ for the headphones and then I guess I need an amp (and/or DAC as well?).

The models I've been looking at more closely are the following: AKG Q701, Sennheiser 600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT880. Any other suggestions, for over-ear headphones in that price range more or less?

I have listened to them all, except the DT880.. And so far I really like the Q701, except that they have really little bass and I do occasionally listen to music that requires a bit more bass than that.. I also watch a lot of movies. I also listened to the 600/650, but only briefly so I'm not sure about these.

Then about the amp and DAC thing.... Will an amp alone make a noticeable difference? Will a DAC alone make a noticeable difference, more so than just an amp? And will a DAC and amp together make an even more noticeable difference? I was looking at the FiiO desktop models and also this one: LINK which someone recommended because they apparently compete with amps much more expensive..

I'm having a really hard time choosing, so any help is much appreciated!

BTW: Anyone know where I can test some headphones like these in Switzerland? Somewhere in the middle.

Will an amp alone make a noticeable difference?
Absolutely. And furthermore, the headphones needs amping. 

Will a DAC alone make a noticeable difference, more so than just an amp?
Depends on the DAC. In my experience, it's noticeable but you'll have to go look for it. Catch my drift?

And will a DAC and amp together make an even more noticeable difference?
Yes.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #11,505 of 29,490

I have 110$ saved up and I want to buy over-ear portable headphones.

I listen to all kind of music genres but more inclined to metal and rock.
My fav bands are :
Metallica
slipknot
SOAD
pink flyod
megadeth
linkin park
coldplay
adele 
breakin benjamin etc

so its a mixture of hard and soft music

I want some decent closed headies

I am looking at ATH-m50s,shure 440/840,ath-ws55i.
I like m50s very much[design wise] but if you guys have got a better option tell me.
I gonna plug them into my philips gogear mp3 player.

I know you guys will say why don't you just look around the forum you will find many similar posts but they all are confusing me.

Some say m50s aren't comfortable some say they are etc

Also the music genre suitable for the respective headies is not specified.

Please help me out.
ty a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back