++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #11,461 of 29,490

Quote:
cool, thanks.  i'm going to try to head to b&h or j&r in the next few days and check them out.  might even want to consider akg k242hd or k240mkii and swap the pads for larger velour pads? that would deal with the comfort and drivability concerns, but i'm guessing its not a big tradeup in terms of SQ over the k240s.

The Sextett (600 ohm K240) is generally very well-liked around here.  Your experience may be different because you were having trouble driving them, but I'm pretty sure that most people would say that the K242HD and the K240mkii aren't as good.  You could consider just getting a better amp - there are plenty of Sextett amp threads floating around the forum.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #11,462 of 29,490

Quote:
It is better in some respects (it doesn't cut off the first few milliseconds of the first song in your stream and has a battery), but it's not worth paying an extra $140 for if you already have the E10 and don't need the portability.  As I said above, they use the exact same DAC and amp chips.

What? The E17 is 150USD. I'd like to know where you're buying an E10 for 10 bucks, please.

It will come with all the cables you need unless you use an ipod and want a line-out cable.  For your phone, you have to just use the headphone jack into the E17's 3.5mm jack.  There are a few phones (Nokias mostly, I think) that claim to support audio over USB, but I'm not sure if anyone's confirmed that they work with any of the Fiio products.

Don't do this. Double-amping with the phone's internal amp - Android 3.0 and above should support USB audio devices like the FiiO

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #11,463 of 29,490

Quote:

Well for $200, I think you can do better than the LP2, unless you like the bass-heavy sound. Not totally sure about the LP2, but the original LP was pretty muddy as well...

I dont mind Bass heavy sounds, plus thats what EQ's are for right?

All the reviews on the LP2's have been glowing.

For 200 What would you reccomend for as a good set?

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #11,464 of 29,490

Quote:
What? The E17 is 150USD. I'd like to know where you're buying an E10 for 10 bucks, please.

Don't do this. Double-amping with the phone's internal amp - Android 3.0 and above should support USB audio devices like the FiiO

He said that he already had an E10 and was wondering if he should upgrade to the E17 - and the E17 was $140 on MP4Nation, last I looked.

And double-amping isn't as bad as you make it out to be.  Anyone who uses an amp with a PMP that doesn't have a lime-out feature is double amping.  If his phone supports USB audio, then use it by all means, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with Fiio products.  Iirc, the company rep on here said that they didn't build compatibility into their devices, so if it works, then it's just a happy coincidence.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #11,466 of 29,490

any replies? just interested if it's worth it?
Quote:
Hi all.

I've asked a question about changing my AKG k271S to something a month or two ago. I was asking if it's worth to change it to something like Beyer 700/800/900 or AKG k701/702 or anything else. Decided not to change phones that time. 
Now i man sells Ultrasone Pro 900 fairly cheap. A bit more then $200 in immaculate condition. That's even cheaper then it sells on ebay. Don't ask me where it is: it's in Kazachstan. 
I know that Pro 900 aint a best universal phones, but best for rock music or modern electro style like house or trance. That is what i listen to 85% of time. 

As for me it looks worthy to upgrade Akg K271-Ultrasone Pro 900.

The main questions are:
1. What i'd lose if i'd upgrade from k271 to pro 900. I'd get lots of a nice bass, i know. 
2. Would personally you do this upgrade for... about $100-$120.

Thanks in advance.
Victor.

PS. I got Audinst mx-1 for my laptop. As for me it works fine with AKG. May be upgrade it once i get pro 900, but not immideately.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #11,468 of 29,490
Hi all,

I am looking for an openback fullsize that has the same sound as my UE triplefi 10. I've tried Grado SR80 & AT AD700, both of them sound cold & harsh. I want something that sounds exactly like my UE: smoooooth bass & treble, moderate but deep bass, nice full mids, soundstage intimate enough for rock & pop.

Also, I have a big head so tight headphones like HD280 can be very uncomfortable. The AD700 is the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #11,469 of 29,490
Hi everyone... Long time lurker here... I have a pair of Etymotic ER4-P's that I am going to post on the For Sale / For Trade once I have enough posts (didn't realize that was a requirement until I tried to post on that page)... So I figured it might be a good time to check what might be a good set to look for in trade (or if I sell them what I should look to buy).  

I'm looking for an over the ears pair of headphones as this is more comfortable for me then in-ears.  I just bought a pair of Brainwavz HM5 (preordered) so would be looking for something to complement them.  I was thinking of maybe a pair of Denon AH-D2000's.  I tend to like a slight emphasis in the bass and a warm sound signature.  Any other ideas?

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #11,470 of 29,490
Hello,

i am confused between these head-phones, my primary use is at home for watching 3D Movies, Playing Lates Games & Listening to Music in my new Dell XPS 17" 3D laptop, plus i want to use them for my iPhone also when i am going outside. please help to choose best for my requirement.

1. Superlux HD668B
2. Beyerdynamics DT235
3. Creative Aurvana Live

kindly provide "Pros & Cons" of these, seeking advice by experts who used these cans.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #11,471 of 29,490
I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT235 and I think they are great for the money (from my limited knowledge/read loads on here before deciding), but they need a fair few extra notches on the volume to be the same loudness as my cheap sonys they replaced. Decent length cable for home use and a bit on the ugly/plain side, also I can see someone with large ears might find the ear pads an issue, personally I find them fine.

I love the sound, I won't attempt to describe it as I have nothing of any value to compare them with. I can hear things in songs I haven't heard before and everything is lovely and clear. I'm very happy with my purchase and from what I have read on here I wonder why they aren't recommended more often?

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #11,472 of 29,490
I was checking out the gr07's for sure, any suggestions for dac/amps portable or desktop? Also Any input on the AKG Q701's? Some say they're not the greatest for metal/rock but I hear it does it better with a good amp. I was also looking at an hd600 (maybe hd650 if I feel like blowing the load). Another thing I was checking were beyerdynamics or ultrasones... I love beyerdynamic's custom options... haha

Quote:

For IEMs maybe look into the JVC FXT90 or Vsonic GR07.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #11,473 of 29,490
I have been thinking of buying some Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII's. I have read the extensive thread already on this forum and they seem to please just about everyone. Comfort aside. They seem rugged enough to throw in my bag (for they will be used on the go), uber light and nice and discreet whilst tooling along.

I would have liked to audition them but don't have any dealers near me. However I did get a chance to listen to the HD 25-1 SP versions and they blew me away they were so good.

Would I be right in assuming that the MKII's would be even better...?

I am currently listening to some AKG 480's which can get a bit boomy at high volumes. They are quite new so I can flog them and get some money back.

I will be using them with an ipod 5th gen through a Neco Soundlab V3 headphone amp. So they will have plenty of drive.

Best price I've found on line is £128.

Thanks in advance, Thing.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #11,474 of 29,490
Looking for my first pair of cans (have a few IEMs), and wanted something I could use easily from a desktop. I want headphones that are closed, circumaural, and have creamy mids. I mostly listen to acoustic music, and while bass and treble are nice to have, I want mids the most. I'll be amping this, so that won't be a problem. Looking to spend around $200. Thanks in advance!

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #11,475 of 29,490

Quote:
So, first my apologies for starting a new thread on this. I managed to miss this huge thread...

I hope you guys can help me. I'm kind of an audiophile myself, but I usually find myself limited by my budget. I'm looking for new, high-end headphones (or as close to high-end as my budget will get me). My budget is about 100 euros. I'd like them to be closed-ear, preferably with good isolation. I mostly listen to genres like progressive metal, but I have a wide taste in music. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure how pricings run in europe, but maybe you can look into the koss DJ100 or maybe the Sony 7506/V6 or the Sennheiser 280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back