++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #11,476 of 29,490

Quote:
any replies? just interested if it's worth it?

It sounds like a very good deal on the Pro900s, and they seem like they would complement your existing headphones nicely. I say go for it!

Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking for an openback fullsize that has the same sound as my UE triplefi 10. I've tried Grado SR80 & AT AD700, both of them sound cold & harsh. I want something that sounds exactly like my UE: smoooooth bass & treble, moderate but deep bass, nice full mids, soundstage intimate enough for rock & pop.

Also, I have a big head so tight headphones like HD280 can be very uncomfortable. The AD700 is the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find an open headphone with the bass of the TF10s. I'd recommend you look into the Denon D2000s, which are comfortable and should provide the sound signature you're looking for.

Quote:
Hi everyone... Long time lurker here... I have a pair of Etymotic ER4-P's that I am going to post on the For Sale / For Trade once I have enough posts (didn't realize that was a requirement until I tried to post on that page)... So I figured it might be a good time to check what might be a good set to look for in trade (or if I sell them what I should look to buy).  

I'm looking for an over the ears pair of headphones as this is more comfortable for me then in-ears.  I just bought a pair of Brainwavz HM5 (preordered) so would be looking for something to complement them.  I was thinking of maybe a pair of Denon ADH-2000's.  I tend to like a slight emphasis in the bass and a warm sound signature.  Any other ideas?

From your descriptions, it sounds like the D2000 will fit you perfectly. Go for it!

Quote:
I was checking out the gr07's for sure, any suggestions for dac/amps portable or desktop? Also Any input on the AKG Q701's? Some say they're not the greatest for metal/rock but I hear it does it better with a good amp. I was also looking at an hd600 (maybe hd650 if I feel like blowing the load). Another thing I was checking were beyerdynamics or ultrasones... I love beyerdynamic's custom options... haha

Well, the IEMs at least don't really need an amp, as they scale minimally. If you read the Q701 appreciation thread, I think someone mentioned listening to metal on his, so maybe ask him? I think the Sennheisers might be a bit dark for metal, as they lack a bit of treble energy, esp. when underamped. The Beyers might be more trebly though. Regarding amps, I think some people have had success with an E10/Q701 combo. 

Quote:
I have been thinking of buying some Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII's. I have read the extensive thread already on this forum and they seem to please just about everyone. Comfort aside. They seem rugged enough to throw in my bag (for they will be used on the go), uber light and nice and discreet whilst tooling along.

I would have liked to audition them but don't have any dealers near me. However I did get a chance to listen to the HD 25-1 SP versions and they blew me away they were so good.

Would I be right in assuming that the MKII's would be even better...?

I am currently listening to some AKG 480's which can get a bit boomy at high volumes. They are quite new so I can flog them and get some money back.

I will be using them with an ipod 5th gen through a Neco Soundlab V3 headphone amp. So they will have plenty of drive.

Best price I've found on line is £128.

Thanks in advance, Thing.

By all accounts, the MKII is a lot better than the SP, so you should be impressed. That price seems like the best you'll find in the UK.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #11,477 of 29,490

Quote:
The Sextett (600 ohm K240) is generally very well-liked around here.  Your experience may be different because you were having trouble driving them, but I'm pretty sure that most people would say that the K242HD and the K240mkii aren't as good.  You could consider just getting a better amp - there are plenty of Sextett amp threads floating around the forum.

i don't doubt that.  however, since much of my use is in the recording audio/reference monitoring sphere i HAVE to use cans that are easily driven by my audio interface/DAC.  it drives most headphones just fine, but i often have to crank it a bit too much to get my AKGs to come to life.  I figure i'm not getting the best SQ out of them that way.  adding an additional amp to my recording setup could really complicate things and i'd rather avoid that, even if it means getting "locked in" to my interface's headphone amp for a while.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #11,478 of 29,490
Started off looking for  < $100 headphones, but the more I read, the more I realize it's not that cut and dry.

This simple question has really turned into a learning experience for me about headphones, and sound quality in general. My criteria is much more complicated now and I was hoping I could receive some help from the community. If I listed qualities I want in a headphone for under $100, could you guys help me out?

1) Price, under $100. This is definitely a hard limit, I told my wife $75, so my limit is $100 lol. 10/10 importance.

2) Closed over-ear headphones. I really don't like earbuds, and I prefer over-ear vs on-ear. 9/10

2) Leakage. I want to mainly use these for work and I don't want to be disturbed or disturb others. We are all software developers so sometimes we appreciate some silence.  It is for this reason that I am not interested in any open style headphones like the Grado SR 60i or the Porta pro. 8/10.

3) Decent sound quality without neglecting lows. This is for listening enjoyment only, so I don't think I need something as bassy as the xb500, but I do listen to a lot of electronic music lately, so being able to hear extended lows is as important as having "punchy" bass. Again, the xb500's leak a lot I hear, so they wouldn't work for me. 8/10

4) Doesn't require an amp to sound great. I would like something I could power from a phone/portable mp3 player. 7/10.

6) Misc: Detachable cord, comfort, single cord, case/bag. Not really important to me. 2/10

5) Looks I do not care about. 0/10.

Some headphones I had considered:
Grado SR 60i: Had considered, but I'm afraid of leakage.
Sony mdr-xb500: Same fear about leakage, so no longer considering these as a purchase.

Am now considering:
Sony MDR-V6: Heard that these are solid, but also hear that I might be able to get more bang for my buck.
Sennheiser HD 205-II: These seem like a good fit for me, but I haven't heard much about them.
Sennheiser HD 448: Worried not much low-end range.
Koss PRO DJ 100: Heard these are very uncomfortable.
Shure SRH440: Worried these are better as monitors and not very fun to listen to.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #11,479 of 29,490

Quote:
Started off looking for  < $100 headphones, but the more I read, the more I realize it's not that cut and dry.

This simple question has really turned into a learning experience for me about headphones, and sound quality in general. My criteria is much more complicated now and I was hoping I could receive some help from the community. If I listed qualities I want in a headphone for under $100, could you guys help me out?

1) Price, under $100. This is definitely a hard limit, I told my wife $75, so my limit is $100 lol. 10/10 importance.

2) Closed over-ear headphones. I really don't like earbuds, and I prefer over-ear vs on-ear. 9/10

2) Leakage. I want to mainly use these for work and I don't want to be disturbed or disturb others. We are all software developers so sometimes we appreciate some silence.  It is for this reason that I am not interested in any open style headphones like the Grado SR 60i or the Porta pro. 8/10.

3) Decent sound quality without neglecting lows. This is for listening enjoyment only, so I don't think I need something as bassy as the xb500, but I do listen to a lot of electronic music lately, so being able to hear extended lows is as important as having "punchy" bass. Again, the xb500's leak a lot I hear, so they wouldn't work for me. 8/10

4) Doesn't require an amp to sound great. I would like something I could power from a phone/portable mp3 player. 7/10.

6) Misc: Detachable cord, comfort, single cord, case/bag. Not really important to me. 2/10

Sony mdr-xb500: Same fear about leakage, so no longer considering these as a purchase.

Am now considering:
Sony MDR-V6: Heard that these are solid, but also hear that I might be able to get more bang for my buck.
Sennheiser HD 205-II: These seem like a good fit for me, but I haven't heard much about them.
Shure SRH440: Worried these are better as monitors and not very fun to listen to.

The grados leak like they were a mobile speaker. The sonys xb 500s don't start leaking until you crank the volume up a bit.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #11,480 of 29,490

Quote:

Am now considering:

I'd also consider adding Creative Aurvana Lives to the list, and the comfort issue with the Pro DJ100 can be alleviated by putting something under the pads to lift them up (or buying thicker pads like the ones made for the Audio-Technica M50).  I have a piece of CAT5 cable stuffed under my DJ100 pads, which makes them plenty comfortable to wear all day at work.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #11,481 of 29,490

Quote:
I am confused between these head-phones, my primary use is at home for watching 3D Movies, Playing Lates Games & Listening to Music in my new Dell XPS 17" 3D laptop, plus i want to use them for my iPhone also when i am going outside. please help to choose best for my requirement.
1. Superlux HD668B
2. Beyerdynamics DT235
3. Creative Aurvana Live
kindly provide "Pros & Cons" of these, seeking advice by experts who used these cans.

I know nothing about the Beyer DT235.
I own both the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) and the Superlux HD668B, both are broken.
The HD-668B is a fine set of cans, but semi-open, so not something for use in public, unless you like to hear cars coming at you as you can get out of the ways.
CALs are a nice set of cans too, closed, cups are on the small size, barely fits around my ears.
Right now I'm more of a fan of the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, it's only $25 for Velour ear pads for them.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #11,482 of 29,490
Hi, just joined the forums after lurking for a while (A WHILE) and am finally taking the plunge into high end(ish) audio.

Currently, I've picked out the Schiit Asgard for an amp and am currently deciding between the Schiit Bifrost, ZERO 24/192khz DAC or NFB-12.1 for a DAC, all to drive either the Sennheiser  HD650s, BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm or something else in a similar price range. After reading reviews for both I can't really come to a definitive conclusion on which to choose. (although I can only find the HD650s in a similar price bracket to the DT880s refurbished)

I listen to mostly metal, with some post rock and shoegaze thrown in for good measure. All my music is converted to FLAC, APE and 320k mp3 file formats if that helps, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #11,483 of 29,490
Anyone know what kind of cable the ATH-Proo700mk2 can use?  I've read reviews that contradict each other.  Can it be any cable (such as the ones that come with Beats by Dre) or does it only use cables made by Audio-Technica?

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #11,484 of 29,490

Quote:
To clarify on the M50s, they are very definitely around-the-ear, and the top of the headband is nicely padded, so you shouldn't have those same comfort issues. It does clam a bit hard during prolonged uses, but that can be remedied by stretching it over a tissue box overnight. 

IMO it doesn't clamp too hard.  I wear mine at work for 6-8hrs, sometimes with only a few short breaks and I rarely have problems with them clamping too hard.  Maybe after like 7hrs the tops of my ears get a little sore from the inside of the earcup .  Normally my ears don't touch the inside of the earcup, that I can notice anyway.  I think the pads may compress or something weird after a long time.  I never found the need to stretch mine out.  I guess my head did that
tongue.gif
.  With that said, I will admit they aren't the most comfortable headphones ever.  I'm sure light, open headphones with velour pads are more comfortable
smile.gif

If the top of your head is getting sore from the headband pressing down, rotate the headphones back a little so that the headband goes over the back of your head instead of straight across the top.  When I first got them I'd just put them on normally and the top of my head would get sore in the middle from the headband pressing down.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #11,485 of 29,490
I've read that the macbook can produce great output sound, is there any truth in that? and how about if I am listening to good quality music? Like 320kbps files or even Flac files? Would the E11 be worth the shot? Most of the music on my laptop are copied on my portable gadgets so, I'm gonna use the amp mostly on my portable gadgets and on the laptop only when I watch movies.

I don't really want to spend $100 on the E7 wherein I could get the same or, at least, similar performance with the E11. But I must say, I was a bit tempted when you said "The E7 will bypass your laptop's onboard sound completely, and convert the audio in its truest, purest form" :D

Quote:

The E7 is a DAC/Amp and the E11 is an amp only.

If you're using onboard sound from you laptop, you're crippling your sound from the source. The E11 is a better amp than the E7, but if the signal its receiving from your laptop is poor, its only amplifying an already poor signal, and very little is gained if anything at all.

The E7 will bypass your laptop's onboard sound completely, and convert the audio in its truest, purest form. Think of it as a portable external soundcard. The amp on the E7 isn't as powerful as the E11, but the Digital-to-Analog-Converter will have a far greater impact than pure amplification.

The E7 can also be upgraded in the future should you need better amplification, as it can be docked onto the E9, or paired with the E11 if you want to stay portable.

In summary, get the E7. Now.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #11,486 of 29,490

Quote:
I've read that the macbook can produce great output sound, is there any truth in that? and how about if I am listening to good quality music? Like 320kbps files or even Flac files? Would the E11 be worth the shot? Most of the music on my laptop are copied on my portable gadgets so, I'm gonna use the amp mostly on my portable gadgets and on the laptop only when I watch movies.

I don't really want to spend $100 on the E7 wherein I could get the same or, at least, similar performance with the E11. But I must say, I was a bit tempted when you said "The E7 will bypass your laptop's onboard sound completely, and convert the audio in its truest, purest form" :D

Most macbooks have decent soundcards. Not great. A 100 dollar dac/amp will beat them by a lot.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #11,487 of 29,490
Looking for portable circumaurals to use for listening to music through my HTC on the way to class.

1) No flying buttress design (what I mean is headphones that leave open space between head and headband, like my KRK KNS 8400s); so I want form fitting to head
2) No need for amp
3) Comfortable
4) Short cable
5) Small, lightweight

Honestly, sound quality is my least concern. Portability and comfort are more important. Budget is $120. If I had to sum up what I'm looking for, it would be circumaural ESW9s-that's exactly the form factor I'm looking for.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #11,489 of 29,490
I am so glad I came across this thread!
I am a beginner, looking for good (used) headphones. I wanna spend about $100-$200, but the problem is I don't really know what I want!
Current audio equipment: A-Jays One, Fake Beats, Subwoofer as big as a computer tower (no-name brand).

Musical tastes:

Portal 2 Soundtrack

Noisestorm Solar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zk7vdtTHYM

Klaypex Feel Alright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpSEaPzg2g

Deadmau5 moar Ghosts n Stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWk-aInsow&ob=av3e

Noisestorm Somewhere in Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQTxaZ-aD_Y

Personal Jesus Dubstep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2yGvnbaFk

One day I heard my artist friend's $600 producing headphones. BEST 5min of my life...

I really don't want insanely overly-insanity bass to the max. Personal Jesus on the subwoofer is amazing tho...

A Jays One have a nice amount of bass.

I want to get some headphones that are in an entire new level than what I have now.

Almost bought Senn 555 or 558, but then backed out over price.

Most audio source comes from computer, phone, etc. I am not afraid to go FLAC if needed.

Will buy headphone amp if necessary, probably Filo F5 (although I listen to music on lowest volume notch (android phone) on A Jays)

This also means the headphones must sing at low volume levels, since I listen to it quiet.

I want some over the ear cans that will be incredibly clear and comfortable.

Sorry for being needy, I just have no clue what to do.

PS: I like how Q701's look. I do a little tiny bit of gaming, too.

Thank you so much all the professionals who donate time to help people like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back