++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #10,906 of 29,490

Quote:
Look up Mad Lust Envy's headphone review. It's awesome.

I've already read it. It's a good review but it only features a few headphones and compares them for gaming use rather than music. Plus most of those headphones are out of my price range

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #10,907 of 29,490

Quote:
I know nothing about the other two but I haven't heard any Sony headphones put out any significant bass unless they're a $100 pair at Best Buy, even then Skullcandy are almost right next to those.

On a side note, I'm a huge gamer and surprised you called them crappy lol I've been through that $100 Sony headphone, Turtle Beach DX11, and Astro A40s and the Skullcandy ear buds I bought on Black friday 2 years ago for $8 were better than all of them with sound quality.

i DO like the skullcandies in general.... but when i mix on them, my music sounds wack on my car stereo and my friends computer speakers

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10,908 of 29,490

Quote:
Mostly at home, but I will probably bring them out sometimes because they are gonna be nicer than my sennheiser IEMs (hopefully). My best bet is probably closed, and I am very open to other headphones btw, as long as they work with glasses.

TBH, I can't give you much feedback on anything other than the M50s, but your price range includes the HD25-1s, M80s, SRH840s, Brainwavz HM5, as well as a whole slew of other closed cans. Try looking around the forum for comparisons of those.

Quote:
My friend is looking for new headphones. He wants open and circumaural. Listens to hard rock/metal. Budget: under $150. Right now he looking at the AKG K240S.

You can probably find the Sennheiser HD558 for around $150. Check around the deals thread for that.

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi. I've lurked here for a bit and decided to make an account today to ask opinions. I'm not an audiophile like many of you here. I think the Beats look awesome and think everyone wearing them looks cool. I'm 16 if that puts it into an perspective. but that's not what this thread is about. I've tried the Soul Sl150s by Ludacris and I really liked them and I used to own some sort of Sony headphone that used a triple A battery that amped the bass up. Those were pretty nice, but they broke and I have no idea what they were called.

So I feel like may be heading in the direction of becoming an audiophile, but I don't have any experience with truly good headphones. I realize Beats are overhyped and garbage compared to other stuff in their price range. I think they look cool, but I do want headphones that compliment the music I listen to. I listen to a bit of dubstep and hip hop but most of my listening is metal. I'd be using these headphones on a daily basis on the way to school in New York. So hopefully they would block out some outside sound and not leak too much. I don't want to be a nuisance to others on the subway.

So yeah. Long story, short:

-I mostly listen to metal
-Block outside noise decently (I think that means I want closed back headphones, but I'm not too sure on the terminology) 
-Don't leak too much sound

I wouldn't mind if they looked nice too, but that's not very important. And I guess my price range would be up to $200 but that's really the most I'm willing to pay. Thanks so much!

at $200 you have the Audio-Technica M50s, the V-Moda M80s, Sennheiser HD25-1s, and a couple others. Check here for more: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Quote:
Hi there. I was wondering if there was a comparison thread for full headphones that was similar to joker's Brilliant multi-iem and portable headphone thread, as I'm interested in Purchasing one. 

Unfortunately no, but his thread does include some full-sized cans as well

Quote:

Hello,
I am new to this site and am just beginning to truly emerse myself into listening to music on ACTUAL worthy headphones (not apple earbuds).  After doing a lot of research and listening to headphones myself in stores I have came to the conclusion that Beats are just too expensive for what they provide your ears.  My question to you is, I have narrowed my search down the 3 pairs as I stated above.  Which pair will give me the best bang for my buck? I will be using them for around the house, at the gym, and plugging into my amp for my guitar as to not annoy everyone in my apartment complex.  I realize that I might be "that guy" at the gym wearing full sized earphones but I could care less what others think because the music gets me pumped to lift.  I already ordered all three from amazon and will ship the other two back when I make my decision.  Just wanted to see your thoughts from true audiophiles.  

Thanks,

Micah

Just to clarify, you're talking about the M50s, M80s, and Crossfade Lps, right? I had to check your old thread for that. The LPs are purported by pretty much everyone to sound worse than the other 2, so you can probably cross that off. The M80s are supra-aural, so they're smaller, but the M50s fold up quite nicely as well. M80s might be best for the gym, since they're small, and isolate a little less so you can hear what's going on around you. Try them out though, and make your own decision! Head-Fi is all about self-discovery.

Quote:
You do realize the Sony MDR-V6 are monitoring headphones?  And designed for producing music?  They are also extremely durable, and well respected over the last 20+ years they've been on the market.  They should fit this particular task quite well.  Not everyone likes their sound for listening pleasure...neutral with what some say is a slight treble bias, which makes them a bit cool for the bass lovers. 

I think he's talking about actual speakers, not monitoring headphones (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #10,909 of 29,490

Quote:
I know nothing about the other two but I haven't heard any Sony headphones put out any significant bass unless they're a $100 pair at Best Buy, even then Skullcandy are almost right next to those.

On a side note, I'm a huge gamer and surprised you called them crappy lol I've been through that $100 Sony headphone, Turtle Beach DX11, and Astro A40s and the Skullcandy ear buds I bought on Black friday 2 years ago for $8 were better than all of them with sound quality.

No offense, but I think you're listening for the wrong things. People who like skullcandies are generally listening only for lots of bass, and in that sense they might be better, but once you start hearing the detail in your music that the skullcandies can't give you, you won't want to go back.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #10,911 of 29,490
A question about open and closed headphones. Open headphones leak sound but I've never heard any in person. If I give somebody blasting their iBuds to a level where you can hear the music but can't make out the words, as a reference level, how much louder/quieter is the sound emitted from the phones? 

The second question leads on from the first. Open-back's have a larger sound stage compared to closed backs, but how much larger? Would it be the difference between IEM's and closed-back's etc....

The headphones in question are the beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #10,912 of 29,490
To some extent it depends how loud you listen.  At high volumes, it is possible to hear open headphones from a couple rooms away.  My general advice? If you are worried that open headphones will leak too much, they will.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #10,913 of 29,490

Quote:
To some extent it depends how loud you listen.  At high volumes, it is possible to hear open headphones from a couple rooms away.  My general advice? If you are worried that open headphones will leak too much, they will.

I see in your sig you have both the DT990 and the DT770 (granted they are the 600 ohms version rather than 80). If you don't mind can you please comment on the soundstage and musical seperation of both and which one you think is better?

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #10,914 of 29,490
Didn't realize there was an official thread.

Need some input.

I built a new gaming pc a couple months ago, but I never went with a sound card.  Just getting audio straight from the motherboard.  The sound I'm getting is decent from my current HD 555 headphones, but I know it could be better.  So I was just wondering should I have a dedicated sound card for my system, or should I be upgrading my headphones, or do I need to do both?  Not looking to spend more than $150 so not too sure if both is an option.

What do you guys recommend?

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #10,915 of 29,490
First post, I'll just get right to the point:

I'm interested in getting some over ear audiophile grade (I don't use the term to mean $$$$, I just mean very accurate) headphones for listening at home where there isn't too much noise.  I'm going to get a PA2V2 amp soon, so that's what I'll be using to drive them. I've listened a few so far but haven't heard some of the ones I want to (for various reasons).  I've listened to the Sennheiser HD598, AKG Q701 and the Bowers & Wilkens P5s.  I listened to these using a McIntosh Tube Amp all with the same settings and didn't like the sound of the Sennheisers or AKGs at all. I have a fairly small head and they both were far too large to sit comfortably and they both lacked seriously in low end detail and bass extension. I did like the B&W P5s quite a bit because they had a more even response throughout the low and low-mid sections and had less excited/abrasive highs.

That said, I do come from a background in high end audiophile speaker systems with floorstanding speakers and subs (SVS SB12-NSD and a pair of self-built SEAS Trym large bookshelves is my current setup); so I'm used to a more open sound, but I still need warmth from the low and low-mid sections.  Basically, my choices are these:

Denon AH-D2000
B&W P5
Grado SR325is
Sennheiser HD650

Can anyone comment on the sound characteristics of these? Obviously there are two open and two closed, but I would like more detail than that since it's not that likely that I'll be able to test the Sennheisers (I think the HD650s are now discontinued) or the Grados (can't find them in any store).

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #10,916 of 29,490

Quote:

Need some input.

I built a new gaming pc a couple months ago, but I never went with a sound card.  Just getting audio straight from the motherboard.  The sound I'm getting is decent from my current HD 555 headphones, but I know it could be better.  So I was just wondering should I have a dedicated sound card for my system, or should I be upgrading my headphones, or do I need to do both?  Not looking to spend more than $150 so not too sure if both is an option.

Most recommend the Asus Xonar cards for use with headphones.  They have several, depending on your price range, but you can look for threads here at head-fi to find the differences/advantages for them.  You could also get a dac/amp like the FiiO E10 if you were just going to use it on the computer, or FiiO E7 if you want it to be portable.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #10,918 of 29,490

Hey, it's me from before. I ordered the D7000s about an hour ago. Zalman's are on their way, but want someone's opinion on the quality of the product, not just the feature. No offense, the adhesive attatchment boom mic was a nice include, but Amazon didn't have any nice reviews about it. It's between the Zalmans, Labtec ClearVoice Boom Microphone, and adhesive (forgot the name).

My main question this time is I had someone test it, and the MixAmp is what gave me my little to no voice monitoring. It seems to be the best one for the price, but with a $400 budget left, are there any better amps I can get to run my D7000s AND be able to chat on XBOX Live/PS3 (or just XBOX)? I want to be able to hear myself talk for once :/

Hello. I believe I have a simple question lol I've been studying up on headphones/headsets the past couple weeks because I've been through, Sony over the ear headphones, TB DX11, and about to be refunded on my Astro A40s. It's time for some real quality. What better quality than headPHONEs like my Sonys which I loved til the internal batteries died completely on me. I'm looking for the best of both worlds, fun and competitive play. Sometimes watching movies and listening to music. There were 4 distinct problems for me and the A40s, but for this post I will say it was just the voice monitoring on the MixAmp. It was like talking to someone next to you at a parade with a fire truck blowing its horn in front of you. I just couldn't hear myself talk and sometimes I spoke mumbo jumbo. So, trying to find the perfect combo in a $1,000 budget so far I have:

Denon AH-D7000s refurbished which I found for $600.

MixAmp 5.8

Zalman's clip on mic

My question: Is the Zalman's mic good? I've heard you need to speak loud to get your voice through and that it picks up everything but your voice. Or should I get the Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone? I've heard that was much better though I jumped on it and bought the Zalmans already when I couldn't find any other clip ons and they were only $10. I read I can separate the mic from the band myself on the Labtec and attatch it to my headphones somehow.

Off subject question: If you can suggest another headphone amp to go with the D7000s that would be awesome. If do you, tell me (because I have no idea whatsoever) how I connect my mic to XBOX Live and PS3 chat?

P.S. Sorry about the text, it was screwed up when I copy and pasted the name of the boom mic.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #10,919 of 29,490

I am looking for a new pair of headphones and a dac/amp to use with my Toshiba laptop

Type of music: Jam Bands, Classic Rock, Norah Jones, etc...
Budget: 500 for both headhones and amp/dac
Durability: headphones need to last at least 2 years
I was looking into Grados but I didn't know if they would fit my genre of music.
I also read the cords need replaced from everyday use after a couple months.
NO products that are made in China
and I have no idea on a dac/amp

Any advice would be helpful....

Thanks,

-Elliott

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #10,920 of 29,490

Quote:

Need some input.

The consensus is generally that until you get to the top-tier headphones, or unless your existing sound card is really bad, you're better off upgrading your headphones. However, I haven't heard the 555s or anything you'd be upgrading to, so I can't tell you a whole lot more. However, I'm not sure how much better you can do than that with $150 though, seeing as that's about how much the 555s went for... Maybe the 558s?

Quote:
First post, I'll just get right to the point:

I'm interested in getting some over ear audiophile grade (I don't use the term to mean $$$$, I just mean very accurate) headphones for listening at home where there isn't too much noise.  I'm going to get a PA2V2 amp soon, so that's what I'll be using to drive them. I've listened a few so far but haven't heard some of the ones I want to (for various reasons).  I've listened to the Sennheiser HD598, AKG Q701 and the Bowers & Wilkens P5s.  I listened to these using a McIntosh Tube Amp all with the same settings and didn't like the sound of the Sennheisers or AKGs at all. I have a fairly small head and they both were far too large to sit comfortably and they both lacked seriously in low end detail and bass extension. I did like the B&W P5s quite a bit because they had a more even response throughout the low and low-mid sections and had less excited/abrasive highs.

That said, I do come from a background in high end audiophile speaker systems with floorstanding speakers and subs (SVS SB12-NSD and a pair of self-built SEAS Trym large bookshelves is my current setup); so I'm used to a more open sound, but I still need warmth from the low and low-mid sections.  Basically, my choices are these:

Denon AH-D2000
B&W P5
Grado SR325is
Sennheiser HD650

Can anyone comment on the sound characteristics of these? Obviously there are two open and two closed, but I would like more detail than that since it's not that likely that I'll be able to test the Sennheisers (I think the HD650s are now discontinued) or the Grados (can't find them in any store).

Take all my advice with a grain of salt, since you seem to have a lot more audio experience than I do, but I don't think you'll like the Grados. They're known to be very polarizing and tend to have harsher highs and a punchy but thinner bass response. out of the ones you list I think the HD650s would suit your needs and preferences best, but I don't know if they'll be driven properly through a PA2V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back