++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #10,891 of 29,490
Looking for headphones to be used for music creation, mostly using acoustic instruments (piano guitar bass etc). Additionally I'll be using them for gaming but I don't think that's too important. I was looking at the Denon d2000's and the Ultrasone HFI780. I listen to a fairly large variety of music ranging from Jazz to jazz funk fusion to some of the newer rock bands etc. Sometimes I might even listen to stuff like Beethoven and sometimes I might listen to some trance/techno. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #10,892 of 29,490
Hello Everyone!

Probably same like "question" like the others but  i will try to make it simple :)

budget : less than 100$ 
hardware: mostly pc + creative emu-202 (99%) 
type of music: everything from rock metal to smooth jazz. Music with fast changing bass (Rush or Pat Metheny for example)
source material: high quality mp3, flac 96/24, good quality cds and dts-cd (48/24)

My last headphone : CAL! .

Description:  Open or semi-open phones (leak doesnt matter) , similar to cal! but with slighty brighter middle tone and more dynamic bass (more detailed - maybe something like jvc ham750 but not that close up/"in your face" sound ) . Hight tones from CAL!  are OK. More comfortable like.. Panasonic RP-HTF890 .For me there are perfect in terms of weight and comfort (but sound is equal or less than CAL! - im looking for something more detailed). Wider scene and more 3 dimensional.

Any suggestion? This will be a present for my birhtday :)

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #10,893 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Probably same like "question" like the others but  i will try to make it simple :)

budget : less than 100$ 
hardware: mostly pc + creative emu-202 (99%) 
type of music: everything from rock metal to smooth jazz. Music with fast changing bass (Rush or Pat Metheny for example)
source material: high quality mp3, flac 96/24, good quality cds and dts-cd (48/24)

My last headphone : CAL! .

Description:  Open or semi-open phones (leak doesnt matter) , similar to cal! but with slighty brighter middle tone and more dynamic bass (more detailed - maybe something like jvc ham750 but not that close up/"in your face" sound ) . Hight tones from CAL!  are OK. More comfortable like.. Panasonic RP-HTF890 .For me there are perfect in terms of weight and comfort (but sound is equal or less than CAL! - im looking for something more detailed). Wider scene and more 3 dimensional.

Any suggestion? This will be a present for my birhtday :)

Semi-open, detailed, with wide soundstage under $100?  Anything I suggest is likely to be a sidestep, rather than an upgrade from your CAL's.  Possibly the Superlux 668 or AKG K240 Studios.

But you're really describing much more expensive headphones, like the Beyerdynamic DT 880's or Sennheiser HD 598.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #10,894 of 29,490
Hi there. I was wondering if there was a comparison thread for full headphones that was similar to joker's Brilliant multi-iem and portable headphone thread, as I'm interested in Purchasing one. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #10,895 of 29,490
Hello. I believe I have a simple question lol I've been studying up on headphones/headsets the past couple weeks because I've been through, Sony over the ear headphones, TB DX11, and about to be refunded on my Astro A40s. It's time for some real quality. What better quality than headPHONEs like my Sonys which I loved til the internal batteries died completely on me. I'm looking for the best of both worlds, fun and competitive play. Sometimes watching movies and listening to music. There were 4 distinct problems for me and the A40s, but for this post I will say it was just the voice monitoring on the MixAmp. It was like talking to someone next to you at a parade with a fire truck blowing its horn in front of you. I just couldn't hear myself talk and sometimes I spoke mumbo jumbo. So, trying to find the perfect combo in a $1,000 budget so far I have:

Denon AH-D7000s refurbished which I found for $600.

MixAmp 5.8

Zalman's clip on mic

My question: Is the Zalman's mic good? I've heard you need to speak loud to get your voice through and that it picks up everything but your voice. Or should I get the Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone? I've heard that was much better though I jumped on it and bought the Zalmans already when I couldn't find any other clip ons and they were only $10. I read I can separate the mic from the band myself on the Labtec and attatch it to my headphones somehow.

Off subject question: If you can suggest another headphone amp to go with the D7000s that would be awesome. If do you, tell me (because I have no idea whatsoever) how I connect my mic to XBOX Live and PS3 chat?

P.S. Sorry about the text, it was screwed up when I copy and pasted the name of the boom mic.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #10,897 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello. I believe I have a simple question lol I've been studying up on headphones/headsets the past couple weeks because I've been through, Sony over the ear headphones, TB DX11, and about to be refunded on my Astro A40s. It's time for some real quality. What better quality than headPHONEs like my Sonys which I loved til the internal batteries died completely on me. I'm looking for the best of both worlds, fun and competitive play. Sometimes watching movies and listening to music. There were 4 distinct problems for me and the A40s, but for this post I will say it was just the voice monitoring on the MixAmp. It was like talking to someone next to you at a parade with a fire truck blowing its horn in front of you. I just couldn't hear myself talk and sometimes I spoke mumbo jumbo. So, trying to find the perfect combo in a $1,000 budget so far I have:

Denon AH-D7000s refurbished which I found for $600.

MixAmp 5.8

Zalman's clip on mic

My question: Is the Zalman's mic good? I've heard you need to speak loud to get your voice through and that it picks up everything but your voice. Or should I get the Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone? I've heard that was much better though I jumped on it and bought the Zalmans already when I couldn't find any other clip ons and they were only $10. I read I can separate the mic from the band myself on the Labtec and attatch it to my headphones somehow.

Off subject question: If you can suggest another headphone amp to go with the D7000s that would be awesome. If do you, tell me (because I have no idea whatsoever) how I connect my mic to XBOX Live and PS3 chat?

P.S. Sorry about the text, it was screwed up when I copy and pasted the name of the boom mic.

For microphones, you could look at the AntLion Mod Mic, as long as you don't mind sticking a little pad of adhesive to your Denons.  http://www.amazon.com/AntLion-ModMic-Attachable-Boom-Microphone/dp/B005IT9P3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326145596&sr=8-1

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #10,898 of 29,490

Quote:
For microphones, you could look at the AntLion Mod Mic, as long as you don't mind sticking a little pad of adhesive to your Denons.  http://www.amazon.com/AntLion-ModMic-Attachable-Boom-Microphone/dp/B005IT9P3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326145596&sr=8-1

To be honest I'm not sure lol but it has a 30 day trial. Idk what adhesive is exactly. Will it tear the leather padding if I try to detatch that from my Denons?

Also the tip will fit into the mic jack on a Y adapter?

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #10,899 of 29,490
I have producing Progressive House music for months.. long story short..... because of certain issues, monitors are no longer an option and I have been mixing with terrible $10 skullcandy in ear buds but im coming up with bad mixes other speakers and i need headphones asap but am on a budget. Here are my three choices that fit my budget:
Shure 440
KRK KNS 6400
Sony MDR-V6

which one would you choose and why? for producing house music

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #10,900 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for headphones to be used for music creation, mostly using acoustic instruments (piano guitar bass etc). Additionally I'll be using them for gaming but I don't think that's too important. I was looking at the Denon d2000's and the Ultrasone HFI780. I listen to a fairly large variety of music ranging from Jazz to jazz funk fusion to some of the newer rock bands etc. Sometimes I might even listen to stuff like Beethoven and sometimes I might listen to some trance/techno. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #10,901 of 29,490

Quote:
I have producing Progressive House music for months.. long story short..... because of certain issues, monitors are no longer an option and I have been mixing with terrible $10 skullcandy in ear buds but im coming up with bad mixes other speakers and i need headphones asap but am on a budget. Here are my three choices that fit my budget:
Shure 440
KRK KNS 6400
Sony MDR-V6

I know nothing about the other two but I haven't heard any Sony headphones put out any significant bass unless they're a $100 pair at Best Buy, even then Skullcandy are almost right next to those.

On a side note, I'm a huge gamer and surprised you called them crappy lol I've been through that $100 Sony headphone, Turtle Beach DX11, and Astro A40s and the Skullcandy ear buds I bought on Black friday 2 years ago for $8 were better than all of them with sound quality.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #10,902 of 29,490

Hello,
I am new to this site and am just beginning to truly emerse myself into listening to music on ACTUAL worthy headphones (not apple earbuds).  After doing a lot of research and listening to headphones myself in stores I have came to the conclusion that Beats are just too expensive for what they provide your ears.  My question to you is, I have narrowed my search down the 3 pairs as I stated above.  Which pair will give me the best bang for my buck? I will be using them for around the house, at the gym, and plugging into my amp for my guitar as to not annoy everyone in my apartment complex.  I realize that I might be "that guy" at the gym wearing full sized earphones but I could care less what others think because the music gets me pumped to lift.  I already ordered all three from amazon and will ship the other two back when I make my decision.  Just wanted to see your thoughts from true audiophiles.  

Thanks,

Micah

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #10,903 of 29,490

Quote:
Shure 440
KRK KNS 6400
Sony MDR-V6

You do realize the Sony MDR-V6 are monitoring headphones?  And designed for producing music?  They are also extremely durable, and well respected over the last 20+ years they've been on the market.  They should fit this particular task quite well.  Not everyone likes their sound for listening pleasure...neutral with what some say is a slight treble bias, which makes them a bit cool for the bass lovers. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #10,904 of 29,490

Quote:

Sorry buddy lol I'm just getting into the whole expensive headphones/headsets. I'm getting the D7000s and I hear Denon in general are great for acoustic sounds. 7000s especially for the Mohagony ear pieces. I have no personal experience yet but I'm posting just so you know you're not ignored. Now I might have to repost mine before I head for class lol

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #10,905 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry buddy lol I'm just getting into the whole expensive headphones/headsets. I'm getting the D7000s and I hear Denon in general are great for acoustic sounds. 7000s especially for the Mohagony ear pieces. I have no personal experience yet but I'm posting just so you know you're not ignored. Now I might have to repost mine before I head for class lol

Hehe d7000's are a bit expensive :wink: would rather put the money towards something awesome like a Yamaha motif! I'm sure they are awesome though! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back