++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #10,741 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for replying!
Forgot to mention, I'm in Canada, Electronics Expo does not ship outside USA.. :frowning2:
So your suggestion would be HD598+HTF600?
What's a decent headphone amplifier?
Thanks.

If you had lost the war of 1812, maybe you would be part of the U.S.A.
You could just get the RP-HTF600-S for now, get the EDT 200 Velour pad when they restock by next month.
Prices on higher end headphones will drop to their lowest from Feb to May, you could buy the HD-598 then.

If all you do is listen to music on a computer, then an Fiio E10 would work nice.
or for portablility an E11.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #10,742 of 29,490

Quote:
You could just get the RP-HTF600-S for now, get the EDT 200 Velour pad when they restock by next month.
Prices on higher end headphones will drop to their lowest from Feb to May, you could buy the HD-598 then.

If all you do is listen to music on a computer, then an Fiio E10 would work nice.

Are you talking about prices in Canada?

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #10,743 of 29,490

Quote:

How low would the HD598 come down in price? I thought the $199 from razordogdeals looks pretty good. around $220 with shipping. everywhere else i looked are $300+. especially canadian retailers...ripoff

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #10,744 of 29,490

Quote:
Are you talking about prices in Canada?

In the USA the tax deadline is April 15th, so that when money is tight.
I would assume Canada is affected by what happens in the USA.
Besides mind did not think things though that you live in Canada.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #10,745 of 29,490

I did alot of reading and lurking a few years ago and finally decided to buy a pair of AKG K601's. It appears that they've now been discontinued, which is a shame because they're a pretty good set of cans, but nonetheless I have been thinking of buying another pair of cans.

I like the clarity of the K601's but I really would like to get a pair of headphones - preferably open, but I would certainly consider closed headphones - that are a bit more musical, a bit warmer. Something with a little more bass presence and impact, but hopefully a similar level of clarity. These cans have always felt kind of sterile and extremely neutral since day one and I'm looking to try something new.

I have a Travagan's White Amp/DAC and I listen to a wide range of stuff including funk, indie folk/rock/pop, rock, techno, house, blues, and jazz. I was hoping to keep the price around $300 and due to budget constraints, I was also hoping to find a pair that wouldn't require a new amp or DAC. 

Thanks all.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990s but was unsure of how they'd compare to the K601s and whether my amp would suffice with the 250 or 600ohm models.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #10,746 of 29,490
Hello to all!

I currently have a old pair of HD555s and I think its time for me to change and I am looking forward to something better. I do game but the way those headphones sounds in game is not my priority, it is mainly for music. I listen to pretty much any music so something somewhat neutral would be good. I currently have a Titanium HD and would like to keep it as well. I was looking at the DT880-600s paired with a fiio e9 or something around that range. Dont really have more than 400$ to spend on all this, so no tube amp at least for now. My dad has HD600s himself and they sound great but i cant seem to find those under 500$ up here in canada. Would DT880s and a fiio e9 be a significant upgrade to what I currently have? Should I be looking for something else?

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #10,747 of 29,490
32 and 600 ohm Beyer 880s ordered, here Thurs 
happy_face1.gif
 I know I don't need the 600s, but the 250 ohms are out of stock and I'd like to see the difference to satisfy my curiosity, will get a refund for whichever I send back anyway, so no harm done to try them out.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #10,748 of 29,490

Quote:
How low would the HD598 come down in price? I thought the $199 from razordogdeals looks pretty good. around $220 with shipping. everywhere else i looked are $300+. especially canadian retailers...ripoff

Maybe find some used HD-598s?

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #10,749 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello to all!
I currently have a old pair of HD555s and I think its time for me to change and I am looking forward to something better. I do game but the way those headphones sounds in game is not my priority, it is mainly for music. I listen to pretty much any music so something somewhat neutral would be good. I currently have a Titanium HD and would like to keep it as well. I was looking at the DT880-600s paired with a fiio e9 or something around that range. Dont really have more than 400$ to spend on all this, so no tube amp at least for now. My dad has HD600s himself and they sound great but i cant seem to find those under 500$ up here in canada. Would DT880s and a fiio e9 be a significant upgrade to what I currently have? Should I be looking for something else?

A 250-Ohm headphone might work directly plugged into the Titanium HD.

You can get low cost single tube headphone amplifiers off eBay, ships from China, takes 10 days, most rated up to 600-Ohms.
Prices start at $45, better ones start at around $75.
But not something you would want to ship back to China for any warranty (shipping charge and over 20 or more days with an amp).

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #10,750 of 29,490
I'm going to repost this to see if anyone has suggestions for on-ears; I'm considering the Sony MDR-EX600 IEMs that were suggested as well but would like to know if any on-ears would fit most of my criteria as well.  Thanks again! :) 

Quote:
Hello!  I've been lurking around for a few days and researching a bit on purchasing a pair of higher-quality headphones, and I figured I'd ask for some expert advice. :) Right now, I've been using the earbuds that come with my Zune, but I'd like something that has better quality.

A few details:
  1. I'm a college student interested in headphones primarily for use on my laptop.  If they're portable so that I can use them with my Zune while walking to class, that's a plus, but it's not a necessity.
  2. Closed-backs are a necessity since I wouldn't want the sound to leak out while I'm in the dorm.
  3. I often wear my headphones for several hours at a time, so I would need them to be comfortable for that long.
  4. I've read that there aren't headphones designed for specific genres, but if it's beneficial to know, most of the music I listen to is recent pop/rock music (basically anything you'd find on an adult contemporary station), along with some songs in other genres. (my last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/trombone13)
  5. Budget is (preferably) about $200--I can spend a little more than that if need be, but $200 is my target.
  6. For the record, I have absolutely zero knowledge on amps, haha.
  7. The only thing I use them for is listening to music--I don't play video games, and I don't DJ or anything like that.
  8. I haven't a clue what kind of sound card I have, but if it helps, I have a Dell Studio 1558 laptop and haven't replaced whatever came with it. 
    confused_face(1).gif
Not sure if something matches my preferences, but I figured I may as well ask.  Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #10,751 of 29,490
Hi...

...kinda scared to step in here but here goes...

...I'm looking for some decent wireless headphones. My criteria are as follows:

1) $100-150.
2) Good comfort (I find headphones very distracting so the more comfortable they are, the better).
3) Good noise isolation (I live next to a main road :frowning2: ).
4) Decent sound quality for games, movies and TV (doesn't have to be 'great', but I don't want crap either).
5) Needs to have at least a 5m range, minimum.
6) A good 5+ hour charge.

I don't care about brand. Anything that will hook up to my Sony Bravia would be just dandy.

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #10,752 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking to buy headphones for a friend but I'm having trouble choosing the right pair.

A Quick few things to note about what he'd be looking for in headphones

- Flexibility in the earcups
- Detachable Cable
- The bass needs to be good as it will be used mostly for listening to hip hop/rap/house
- Collapsible design
- Will be used for DJing

Price Range $200~

Also if it helps this friend of mine used to have a pair of Beats by Dre Studio and loved them so anything with specs like that would be awesome.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #10,753 of 29,490
And yes! The CAL!'s have landed :D Nice package! Sucks though, I hate throwing nice boxes away so my room has just become a little bit less spacy. Immediately put them on, comfy! Sound good as well. Paranoid as I am, after purchase I found reviews from XB700s and HTF600s, fearing they might be better. Doesn't matter, won't know either, for know these seem great for me, playing my favorite songs first to see how it performs ;p No more bugging the rest of my house with my overbassed Logi X230's.

The weird thing is, the last 3 quarters of an hour, while it sat on my head, I have been looking forward to receiving my M4s in order, just so I can put two headphones next to each other and enjoy looking at them, just like I did when I first had "more than one watch". The start of a collection? Pricey bug bit me? =(

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #10,754 of 29,490

Quote:
And yes! The CAL!'s have landed :D Nice package! Sucks though, I hate throwing nice boxes away so my room has just become a little bit less spacy. 

Creepy, I am the exact same way!! Hahahaha.. my closet is 1/3 full of just BOXES of nice things I have acquired over the years. lol, weirdos!

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #10,755 of 29,490
I Can't Say That I Am An Audiophile ,,, but i have owned a lot of headphones and mp3 players and speakers , but none of them has satisfied me ,, I am thinking now of buying A headphone for about 100$ ,,, i want a headphone good for both music and movies both ( But Music Comes First ) ,,,
I Heard That Sennheiser HD518 Is Good ,,,  Want Ur Opinions Please ,,,,,
Music           : Doom Metal / Symphonic Metal
Sound Card : I have creative x-fi titanium sound card ( i know it is not good but i am going to upgrade it later )
Price Range  : 70$ - 120$
Sorry For The Bad English :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back