++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 3, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #10,711 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks that was my concern that there wouldn't be enough bass, for music like dubstep... should this be a major concern

Try the HD-598, you might like the over all sound.
But if you had wanted bassy headphones, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm (closed) might have been a better pick.
Or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm (open).
But you would need to use a headphone amplifier with these.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #10,712 of 29,490
Hey guys first post here.

I need headphones that i can wear them for even 8 hours constantly and feel comfortable. Also it's crucially important that they are durable cause i'm gonna be using them during traveling. To make things easier i really don't care about sound quallity. I know it should be basic but i wouldn't mind a not great quality as long as the price stays around 50$
A recommendation i got was to try a pair from wesc. They're in this price range and they're durable enough.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #10,714 of 29,490
Jan 3, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #10,715 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks how do hd-598s compare to grados

I've never used Grados and I own the Senn HD-558s.
Grados are described as sitting in the front row at a rock concert.
I'm assuming the HD-598s are more balanced.
Somewhere on Head-Fi there is a "Sennheiser HD-598 Appreciation Thread", should be a good place to ask about the HD-598.
Like what headphone amplifier bring out the bass on it.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #10,716 of 29,490
I'm looking for a set of around ear headphones that would be used primarily/solely with a Teclast T-51 as the source. I don't want to look into getting an amp. These headphones will be solely for home-use. The style of music to be played will be varied, covering from Flamenco to Punk to Electronic to Jazz etc. Price range is around 100-300 dollars.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #10,717 of 29,490
Hmk, I posted a CAL! vs 668B question here yesterday, with the Creative costing 52 and the 668B costing 40-45 EURO. I found a shop nearby however that sells them at 25 euro, so it seems like an easy choice to go for the Superlux HD668B, right? I hope the bass isn't too lacking.

Argh, my 2nd piece in 3 days, can't wait :p From iBuds to 2 better choices in no time!

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #10,718 of 29,490
The HD598 is far, far more balanced.  With Grado's, the mids are bit recessed IMO, while the treble is extremely forward.  While with the HD598, the mids are very forward and the treble is recessed.

Quote:
I've never used Grados and I own the Senn HD-558s.
Grados are described as sitting in the front row at a rock concert.
I'm assuming the HD-598s are more balanced.
Somewhere on Head-Fi there is a "Sennheiser HD-598 Appreciation Thread", should be a good place to ask about the HD-598.
Like what headphone amplifier bring out the bass on it.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #10,719 of 29,490
Hello Head-fi!

Looking to build my first home rig with a budget of $2000-$3000.  Have only tried IEMs (Westone 3, UM3X) and am currently satisfied using JH16s unamped out of an iphone 4 and macbook pro.  I mainly listen to EDM, trance, dubstep, house, progressive so I would like something that can handle the low and high end with ease.  I really like how the JH16s have that extra bass but doesnt overpower everything else.
Or should I ditch the home rig and get an amp for my JH16? lol
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #10,720 of 29,490

Quote:
wow with all the influx of the newyear there have been alot of "help me i need X for under Y"threads can a mod sticky this thread
mayaswell sticky the fanclub posts whislt your at it :p

I agree with this. I initially made a thread of my own because I didn't see this one, posted in here then though. Would be better if it was a sticky.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #10,721 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for your help!  I like what I've read about the Sony IEMs that you recommended, but am not sure about using IEMs--it may just be due to a lack of knowledge on how to use them correctly (I saw the guide on how to put them in here), but in the past, I've had issues with keeping them in and comfortable in my ear.  Would that just be an issue of having the correct size of inserts and having them in correctly?

If you have any suggestions for on-ear headphones as well, those would be welcome, but otherwise, I think the MDR-EX600 may be a good choice. :) Thanks again!

Well hey, like I said, I was super unsure at first as well. In fact, now that I think about it, I have no idea how I made the leap to my Atrios...oh yeah, I think i thought of them as earbuds. !!! o.O hahah surprise when I had to stick them inside my head! But to be more direct in response to your question, if you are having trouble, I'd say yes, that's a result of just not having the 'knack' of it yet. Personally, I feel the same way about 'earbuds' et al -  they just kind of sit in my ear, perched precariously, sounding like crap, waiting to fall out. Can't stand it, haha. IEM's, in contrast, kind of become a part of your head, in a way, and when you have a good fit and a comfortable pair, disappear into your own personal music stream inside your body. It takes some experimentation with different tips and configurations, but I didn't find the learning curve very daunting and I have actually heard a bit of negative feedback on the difficulty of the fit on the Atrio that I started with (still don't know what that's about). 

Keep askin around about on-ear cans, cuz it's not my area of expertise, lol. Wait, I don't have an area of expertise. Haha. I would say look at Grado, though, as they generally have a pretty 'live' sound.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #10,722 of 29,490

Quote:
wow with all the influx of the newyear there have been alot of "help me i need X for under Y"threads can a mod sticky this thread
mayaswell sticky the fanclub posts whislt your at it :p

+11111

There are virtually NO stickies here and it is supremely difficult to find your way around...the search feature 'leaves something to be desired'. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the appreciation threads ought to have their own sub-forum.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #10,723 of 29,490
Arghhhh, just got a call that the 25 euro HD668B is out of stock and takes months to come back. So, I'm gonna ask it once more.

Get a CAL! tomorrow for 52 euro, or wait untill 22th January and get the HD668B for 37 euro?

Greetz!

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #10,725 of 29,490
Didn't think I'd need a new thread for this so I apologize if this is the wrong place.

I want to understand how "open" are open headphones? I'm trying to decide between the Grado 225i or the Sennheiser H598, which I am told are both open backed. I'll be using my iPhone as the source, and will run through an E7 amp. I realize these won't do me too much good on a plane, but will I be able to listen to them if I am walking on a quiet suburban street or with my dog in a park?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back