++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #10,351 of 29,490

Quote:
So I am looking for a new pair of headphones (over or on ear) and am having a hard time deciding. I want something stylish so the 2 options that have caught my eye are the ATH-ESW9a and the Senn HD598. Purely based on the 2 pairs I am leaning towards the HD598, but I am going to be out in these sometimes (library, airport, etc) so I need a pair that doesn't bleed too much.

I know the HD598's are open ear, so how bad is the bleeding from them?

I will take all other suggestions for a stylish pair that is under $250, these are just the 2 that caught my eye. 

I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly acoustic, alt rock, indie, and classic rock.

Thanks in advance!

ESW9a or V-Moda M80/LP2

Quote:
Could anybody suggest a headphones for my case.
I mostly listening to rock, alternative but sometimes jazz, the old records of jazz.
So I need the headphones that will present alternative quite agressivly but could provide the warm sound of old jazz at the same time (if this is possible).
I'm gonna listen music on ipod classic and nexus s all lossless.
Now I have bowers and wilkins p5 the ones from my avatar and it is closer to jazz rather than rock/alternative. So I d like to change it. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Perhaps the Beyer DT1350

Quote:
Sorry, I realized that I have been posting in the wrong thread.  I am looking for headphones in the $150 range.  I think I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica M50 and the Denon AH-D1100.  The most important factors to me are comfort and sound.   I would like to be able to wear it for hours without discomfort, and I consider lighter clamps to be more comfortable.  I listen to hard rock, metal, electronic, and some hip hop.  Which one is better for me?

Both are good... I'd lean slightly more towards the D1100 for your genres.

Quote:

So after looking and reading I have found a few headsets that look like they will do what I want. I don't need anything for audio production. I will just be using them for music and gaming, but I want something that will give me the best quality possible for around $100.

- Koss Pro DJ 100
- Sony MDR 7506
- Steelseries 5xB
- Shure SRH550DJ
-  etc

Anyone have any advice on these? I don't know much about any of them and have had recommendations for all of these are different points. So some help would be awesome.

Shure 550

Quote:
For electronic and house music, would the Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ 1 or HFI-780 be more suited for the job? Or how about the Pro 550/DJ 1 Pro? What are the differences/similarities?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

The Pro550 is a bit odd sounding to my ear. I'd go with the HFi580.

Quote:
Ok please help me guys!!!

I want a Headphone (brand AKG) and it has to be priced: 50-180 € and I mostly listen to Hip-Hop and electronic kind of music (J Dilla), or something like dubstep or instrumental hiphop. Soo whitch one will someone recommend? 

Oh and I first thought of the q701 but I heard they are not good for hiphop. is that right?

If you're sticking with AKG, then go for the AKG K181. 

Quote:

Hey I'm new to audiophilism(?) an am looking for my first pair of audiophile grade headphones :) so here are the criteria I'm mainly looking for in the headphones;

reasonable bass
good clarity in voice
separation in instruments
easy listening for long periods

I mainly listen to Rock, Folk, RnB, Hip-Hop (on occasion), Alternative 
I have a Fiio E9/E7 combo connected via USB to my MBP

I have so far seen the Sennheiser HD650, Denon AH-D2000, AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT880 my price range is around £250 ($390) but would be willing to go up by a little bit £15 ($25) max.

Many Thanks
Koroush

Those are all solid choices. My overall vote would probably be the HD650.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #10,352 of 29,490
(I made a topic but thought posting here might get more responses/opinions)
Hey guys,
Recently I've decided that im in need of some new sounds equipment for my PC. I'm a heavy PC gamer who mostly plays MMO's like WoW or SWTOR but I also play racing games, FPS games and just about everything else. Music wise I mostly listen to heavy bass music (techno, dubstep) and metal (no screamo, just melodic). You could consider me an audiophile with my music so i'd like it to sound as good as possible. Id also like to have headphones that I can easily (well, relatively easily) take with me when i travel/just around the house.

My budget is $300. I'm looking for headphones that are very good for the games I play and sounds great with the music I listen to as well, even when taken away from the PC and plugged into my iPod. I've looked into the Astro A40's and the Mixamp but i've seen so many reviews for other headphones that i'm really confused about what to get.

For my setup, games I play, and music I listen to what would you guys recommend be the perfect headphones for me? I want to make sure I get the right pair since $300 is a lot to drop on headphones. I don't mind getting an Amp with the headphones either if thats what it needs to produce amazing sound.

If I left anything else out please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #10,353 of 29,490
Please recommend some sub $400 cans which (in order of importance):

1. Are very comfortable (my head is roughly average size, but I think my ears may be taller than average).  I find my hd580s and 590s reasonably comfortable, but I grabbed some 448s on sale recently ($50) and I can't stand the way they press on the tops and bottoms of my ears (to be clear, my ears just fit inside the pads).

2. Isolate.  They don't need to be amazing in this respect, but these are primarily for work, and there are lots of computer fans (some high-pitched) and an A/C there.

3. Aren't fatiguing (I think this comes down to sibilance - correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to be able to wear them for long coding sessions without getting distracted.  I find my 590s somewhat fatiguing, though also a bit more comfortable than my 580s.

4. Reproduce bowed-strings (violin, cello, etc) well, and are reasonably neutral, with decent bass extension.

5. Are relatively easy to acquire, return and/or repair.

I'm really not itching to spend $399 on them.  If there's a $150 headphone that fits the bill, that's preferable; I don't like to think I'm spending twice as much for a 2% improvement in SQ.  I plan to use them with a recently-acquired FiiO E10, and listen primarily to post-rock, classical and electronica (mostly of the "idm" variety).  It's also possible, especially if I spring for something at the high-end of my price range, that I'll keep them at home and leave my 580s or 590s at work (even though they don't isolate - my apartment isn't exactly silent either).  At home I have an Ack! dAck and a PIMETA.  If you want to recommend an amp upgrade and cans to fit within the budget, feel free.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #10,354 of 29,490
I see the q701 comes in three colors.  The lime color is cheaper on Amazon and I actually kind of like the look of it.  Is it any different than the other two?  I notice Amazon labels the lime "signature reference class" while the other two are labeled "signature reference class premium."  Is this just incidental?  I also notice they have the same listed MSRP.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #10,355 of 29,490
No, color is the only difference.

Quote:
I see the q701 comes in three colors.  The lime color is cheaper on Amazon and I actually kind of like the look of it.  Is it any different than the other two?  I notice Amazon labels the lime "signature reference class" while the other two are labeled "signature reference class premium."  Is this just incidental?  I also notice they have the same listed MSRP.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #10,356 of 29,490
@Armaegis: Thanks for the input.  I was also looking at the grado 125i/225i (Used)?  Thoughts?
As for Hot Audio, I don't have anything to compare the headphone amp to but I've really enjoyed hot audio stuff.  I had an older usb dac I got from him off ebay and I was really impressed with the sound.  This was before all the forum shenanigans.  I sold that a while back and picked up the Destroyer about a year ago.  It is awesome--Not too big, and battery life is good.  The improvement with the ksc75 is negligible but it definitely adds to the ESW9s.  Bass really thumps--not as boomy to me.  I've always enjoyed the highs on the ATs but the mids are better defined/clearer (sorry I'm not a regular with audio talk).  The amp rounds off the total package nicely. After reading a really positive review on the Extasy I decided to give it a go after the new year over Dave's Bit Perfect.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #10,357 of 29,490
I'm still having a hard time deciding.  Can somebody/anybody help me understand what would be better between: ATH-M50 or the brainwavz HM5?!?!

...its my 1st pair of full-sized headphones.

thanks!  sorry for being such a noob.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #10,358 of 29,490

Quote:
(I made a topic but thought posting here might get more responses/opinions)
Hey guys,
Recently I've decided that im in need of some new sounds equipment for my PC. I'm a heavy PC gamer who mostly plays MMO's like WoW or SWTOR but I also play racing games, FPS games and just about everything else. Music wise I mostly listen to heavy bass music (techno, dubstep) and metal (no screamo, just melodic). You could consider me an audiophile with my music so i'd like it to sound as good as possible. Id also like to have headphones that I can easily (well, relatively easily) take with me when i travel/just around the house.

My budget is $300. I'm looking for headphones that are very good for the games I play and sounds great with the music I listen to as well, even when taken away from the PC and plugged into my iPod. I've looked into the Astro A40's and the Mixamp but i've seen so many reviews for other headphones that i'm really confused about what to get.

For my setup, games I play, and music I listen to what would you guys recommend be the perfect headphones for me? I want to make sure I get the right pair since $300 is a lot to drop on headphones. I don't mind getting an Amp with the headphones either if thats what it needs to produce amazing sound.

If I left anything else out please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks

Pioneer HDJ-2000
Ultrasone HFi-580/780

Quote:
Please recommend some sub $400 cans which (in order of importance):

1. Are very comfortable (my head is roughly average size, but I think my ears may be taller than average).  I find my hd580s and 590s reasonably comfortable, but I grabbed some 448s on sale recently ($50) and I can't stand the way they press on the tops and bottoms of my ears (to be clear, my ears just fit inside the pads).

2. Isolate.  They don't need to be amazing in this respect, but these are primarily for work, and there are lots of computer fans (some high-pitched) and an A/C there.

3. Aren't fatiguing (I think this comes down to sibilance - correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to be able to wear them for long coding sessions without getting distracted.  I find my 590s somewhat fatiguing, though also a bit more comfortable than my 580s.

4. Reproduce bowed-strings (violin, cello, etc) well, and are reasonably neutral, with decent bass extension.

5. Are relatively easy to acquire, return and/or repair.

I'm really not itching to spend $399 on them.  If there's a $150 headphone that fits the bill, that's preferable; I don't like to think I'm spending twice as much for a 2% improvement in SQ.  I plan to use them with a recently-acquired FiiO E10, and listen primarily to post-rock, classical and electronica (mostly of the "idm" variety).  It's also possible, especially if I spring for something at the high-end of my price range, that I'll keep them at home and leave my 580s or 590s at work (even though they don't isolate - my apartment isn't exactly silent either).  At home I have an Ack! dAck and a PIMETA.  If you want to recommend an amp upgrade and cans to fit within the budget, feel free.

Thanks in advance!

Large size, isolation, downturned treble, easy to find...

Senn HD280/380
Ultrasone HFi-580
Phiaton PS500
AKG K271
Beyer DT770

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #10,359 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm still having a hard time deciding.  Can somebody/anybody help me understand what would be better between: ATH-M50 or the brainwavz HM5?!?!

I believe the HM5 is quite a new headphone; you'd have better luck checking out individual threads for it to get a better answer.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #10,360 of 29,490
The ATH-M50 has a bit of a bloomier bass and a bit more bass quantity whereas the HM5 has a more neutral sounding signature with tighter bass and slightly less bass impact -- that's not to say the HM5s are bass deficient, they're just not basshead headphones while the M50s are borderline bass heavy. 

Both of them are closed back and strong isolating headphones.

In terms of overall clarity, from what I've read, the HM5 is probably the technically superior headphone, but take sound signature into consideration. Check out Fischer Audio FA-003 reviews for more of an idea on how the HM5 sounds. 

Quote:

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #10,361 of 29,490
I'm looking for some new headphones for primarily gaming, I have a Fio E7 and can pick up an E9 later if I need to. 

My question is really - should I buy the HD555 or the Brainwavz HM5. I know that these are pretty different headphones, and I mostly listen to rock/alternative. I would definitely mod the 555 if I bought it.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #10,362 of 29,490
It's tough to recommend the HM5's at this point - since so few have had long gaming sessions with them and written about it. Also, they are closed so they shouldn't (on paper) give you the best soundstage. It's at least safer to go down the common route, with phones that have been used with whatever setup you have going. It being either a soundcard or a mixamp or whatever. I think you have to wait some more for dedicated gaming reviews of the HM5's, but there are plenty of cans you can check out for gaming. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #10,363 of 29,490
They come from the same Chinese OEM as the Fischer Audio FA-003, except without the velour pads that they pack with the Fischers. We can use other sources to get some solid evidence for the HM5s. 

Quote:
It's tough to recommend the HM5's at this point - since so few have had long gaming sessions with them and written about it. Also, they are closed so they shouldn't (on paper) give you the best soundstage. It's at least safer to go down the common route, with phones that have been used with whatever setup you have going. It being either a soundcard or a mixamp or whatever. I think you have to wait some more for dedicated gaming reviews of the HM5's, but there are plenty of cans you can check out for gaming. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #10,364 of 29,490
I know, but we don't have 100% evidence they are the same cans. I mean we don't have any technical evidence. But I've bought them myself, just cause of the good response they've had and also that we assume they are the same as the FA-003's. I mean, the FA-003s are number 10 on the list! But I wasnt able to find so many gaming experiences with the FA-003's. You will find cans that have better gaming experiences reviewd. I have both the HM5s and the astro mixamp coming soon so I will provide some reviews when i get them both. But that can take a while.

edit: **** it, get the HM5's. Gamble a little! :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #10,365 of 29,490
They have extremely similar specs to each other. They all have extremely similar specs to the original Chinese OEM. The Lindys have almost the exact same frequency response as the FA-003 with the same dips and peaks and the reviews for the HM5 sound exactly like the FA-003. 

I find it almost impossible to believe they have different insides.

Quote:
I know, but we don't have 100% evidence they are the same cans. I mean we don't have any technical evidence. But I've bought them myself, just cause of the good response they've had and also that we assume they are the same as the FA-003's. I mean, the FA-003s are number 10 on the list! But I wasnt able to find so many gaming experiences with the FA-003's. You will find cans that have better gaming experiences reviewd. I have both the HM5s and the astro mixamp coming soon so I will provide some reviews when i get them both. But that can take a while.
edit: **** it, get the HM5's. Gamble a little!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back