++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #10,336 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbdc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am currently looking at the Audio Technica WS55's, the WS70's, and the V-Moda M/V80s, as I need something which I can use unamped with a galaxy nexus.
I listen to rap, rock(metal such as trivium), electronic, a bit of dubstep, and a very small (but often enough as to need to list it) amount of pop.
I want to try not to spend more than 160, though I will if I have to (I know the V-Modas are more)

Can anyone offer some advice as to what to purchase?  Are the 70's worth $50 more than the 55's. Are the V-Modas worth ditching the Audio Technica's and breaking out of my price range (Currently the V80's are 180 on amazon which is actually cheaper than the m80's which are the same right?)  Is there another, even better pair of headphones in my price range that I should know about?

Thanks for the help!

For the music you've listed, no other headphones are recommended more than the Sennheiser HD 25-1-ii. They're listed at $175 on Amazon right now, and are only slightly past your budget.

If the ones you listed are the only options, then I'd say the V-moda's are worth breaking your price range. I haven't heard much about the WS55's or WS70's and what I have read on these forums aren't very positive.

Hope this helped a bit.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #10,337 of 29,490

Quote:
I got the M50's, but I'm deciding to return them for their lack of bass and portability. So, I mainly listen to Electronic, DnB, Dubstep, Indie, and Hip-Hop. I would use these on a daily basis at school, but also at home. I need them to be some what portable and comfortable.

A few choices I'm considering: 
(Ranked from most to least considering)

1) Sennheiser HD25-1 ii $175 (What I hear about these is great, portable)
2) Ultrasone HFI-580 $118 (S-Logic is questionable, I have to try them first)
3) Stay with the M50's $125 (I got them for this price, not bad of a deal)
3) V-MODA M80 $200 (A little out of price range)

I will be using an iPod Nano 6g, but later I plan to get a Fiio E5 if it helps. So, what would be your recommendation? Should I spend the additional $50+ for the HD25-1 ii? Are there any others that you think I should consider? Remember I want at least some sort of punchy and apparent bass (Doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs) and great comfort with little leakage. Thanks for your help.

The HFi580 would give you more bass, but are roughly the same size as the M50 which doesn't help for portability. In a smaller size... maybe the AKG K81/518? 

Quote:
I've narrowed my choice down to the hd598 or the q701.  I have only a fiio e7 which (I'm pretty sure) won't drive the q701, but I am comfortable getting a better amp later as the headphone choice takes precedence for me.  I'm looking at an $80 price difference on Amazon, so I have to take that into account.  I listen to classic rock like clapton, grateful dead, neil young, but also some newer melodic indie stuff.  I don't think I'll go crazy and get into the habit of constantly upgrading (I say this now) so I'd like something that will last for years.  I've read that open backed phones offer the best sound for the $ and I don't care right now about sound-leak, so I've looked away from the Shure 940's even though they seem like a good bet for the prices I've seen (perhaps I should reconsider?) Thanks for any feedback.  

My vote goes for the HD598. Easier to drive, more "portable" than the Q701, and cheaper too. 

Quote:
I just couldn't stand the airplane noise any further.
I came across this forum through Lifehacker, in hopes of finding noise cancelling headphones. Now from lurking around the forums, I kinda felt  a bit of "dislike" towards Monster, Bose, and noise cancelling headphones (over ear/on ear). Before all that happens, I'm looking for advice about noise cancelling headphones - my budget is 300 or less (preferably less), perhaps with an iPhone mic cable, and can play without the noise cancelling function on.

I've came across the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b, but I'm not sure whether or not they're appropriate for my needs and I'm somewhat disappointed about the lack of an iPhone remote cable.

I primarily listen to choir music, classical, instrumental (symphonic), pop, and rock. If at all noise isolation of any headphones that you guys know can block off the annoying airplane noise and can meet the budget, please do suggest it to me. :D

Thanks for all your help!

ON A SIDE NOTE: are there any 3.5 mm cables that is for sale with an iPhone compatible remote and mic? :D

A small listing of options: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/noise-cancelling.php

I don't know too much about NC headphones, although if you're truly looking for high isolation then an IEM would do far better and expands your options considerably.

Quote:
Sorry to post this again but my question got skipped about 4-5 pages back and I am trying to get something fairly soon, such as before new years (or if ordering from amazon before christmas, though price is more important than date so if I have to ill order from another site)

I am currently looking at the Audio Technica WS55's, the WS70's, and the V-Moda M/V80s, as I need something which I can use unamped with a galaxy nexus.
I listen to rap, rock(metal such as trivium), electronic, a bit of dubstep, and a very small (but often enough as to need to list it) amount of pop.
I want to try not to spend more than 160, though I will if I have to (I know the V-Modas are more)

Can anyone offer some advice as to what to purchase?  Are the 70's worth $50 more than the 55's. Are the V-Modas worth ditching the Audio Technica's and breaking out of my price range (Currently the V80's are 180 on amazon which is actually cheaper than the m80's which are the same right?)  Is there another, even better pair of headphones in my price range that I should know about?

Thanks for the help!

The WS55 are known to be bassy, while the M80 has a more balanced sound. The M80 and V80 are the same except for colour scheme. 

Only you can determine what is "worth it" to you. Hifi is a dangerous game of diminishing returns. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #10,338 of 29,490
So I am looking for a new pair of headphones (over or on ear) and am having a hard time deciding. I want something stylish so the 2 options that have caught my eye are the ATH-ESW9a and the Senn HD598. Purely based on the 2 pairs I am leaning towards the HD598, but I am going to be out in these sometimes (library, airport, etc) so I need a pair that doesn't bleed too much.

I know the HD598's are open ear, so how bad is the bleeding from them?

I will take all other suggestions for a stylish pair that is under $250, these are just the 2 that caught my eye. 

I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly acoustic, alt rock, indie, and classic rock.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #10,339 of 29,490
Could anybody suggest a headphones for my case.

I mostly listening to rock, alternative but sometimes jazz, the old records of jazz.
So I need the headphones that will present alternative quite agressivly but could provide the warm sound of old jazz at the same time (if this is possible).

I'm gonna listen music on ipod classic and nexus s all lossless.

Now I have bowers and wilkins p5 the ones from my avatar and it is closer to jazz rather than rock/alternative. So I d like to change it. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #10,340 of 29,490
Sorry, I realized that I have been posting in the wrong thread.  I am looking for headphones in the $150 range.  I think I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica M50 and the Denon AH-D1100.  The most important factors to me are comfort and sound.   I would like to be able to wear it for hours without discomfort, and I consider lighter clamps to be more comfortable.  I listen to hard rock, metal, electronic, and some hip hop.  Which one is better for me?

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #10,341 of 29,490

So after looking and reading I have found a few headsets that look like they will do what I want. I don't need anything for audio production. I will just be using them for music and gaming, but I want something that will give me the best quality possible for around $100.

- Koss Pro DJ 100
- Sony MDR 7506
- Steelseries 5xB
- Shure SRH550DJ
-  etc

Anyone have any advice on these? I don't know much about any of them and have had recommendations for all of these are different points. So some help would be awesome.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #10,342 of 29,490

They offer no isolation. You'll hear what's going on around you pretty well, and anyone within a dozen feet will clearly hear your music. For use in public, you might want closed cans. They don't get a lot of play around here, but I've been enjoying the KRK KNS8400.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #10,343 of 29,490
For electronic and house music, would the Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ 1 or HFI-780 be more suited for the job? Or how about the Pro 550/DJ 1 Pro? What are the differences/similarities?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #10,347 of 29,490

Quote:
So I am looking for a new pair of headphones (over or on ear) and am having a hard time deciding. I want something stylish so the 2 options that have caught my eye are the ATH-ESW9a and the Senn HD598. Purely based on the 2 pairs I am leaning towards the HD598, but I am going to be out in these sometimes (library, airport, etc) so I need a pair that doesn't bleed too much.
I will take all other suggestions for a stylish pair that is under $250, these are just the 2 that caught my eye. 
I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly acoustic, alt rock, indie, and classic rock.
Thanks in advance!

Save a few dollars, get CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), well under $100.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #10,348 of 29,490
Ok please help me guys!!!

I want a Headphone (brand AKG) and it has to be priced: 50-180 € and I mostly listen to Hip-Hop and electronic kind of music (J Dilla), or something like dubstep or instrumental hiphop. Soo whitch one will someone recommend? 

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #10,350 of 29,490

Hey I'm new to audiophilism(?) an am looking for my first pair of audiophile grade headphones :) so here are the criteria I'm mainly looking for in the headphones;

reasonable bass
good clarity in voice
separation in instruments
easy listening for long periods

I mainly listen to Rock, Folk, RnB, Hip-Hop (on occasion), Alternative 
I have a Fiio E9/E7 combo connected via USB to my MBP

I have so far seen the Sennheiser HD650, Denon AH-D2000, AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT880 my price range is around £250 ($390) but would be willing to go up by a little bit £15 ($25) max.

Many Thanks
Koroush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back