++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 23, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #10,381 of 29,490
The HD555 are open, so scratch that off the list. If you need some portability too, then I'd take out the 449 and Audio Technicas as well since they are all large and do not fold or collapse in any way to facilitate transport. 

If you like the look of the 750, other DJ headphones might be up your alley. They all offer the same type of form factor with good durability and isolation. Check out this review...http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/sh_srh750dj.php
and click the drop down menu for a bunch of others to compare. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #10,382 of 29,490
Hey headfi! I am new on the headphone scene and I've been lurking on this site for quite a while now just trying to research which headphone is the "perfect" one for my needs. I still need some help though.. :\

I will be using these headphones for gaming, music, and movies. I will be powering the headphones using an astro mixamp ONLY WHEN I AM GAMING, other than that I will not be using any sort of amp.  I was hoping to spend around ~$150 the cheaper, the better. I was looking at the superlux 668b and I wasnt sure if it will be the right headset for me. I prefer a semi-open, or closed pair of headphones. I will primarily be using them inside the house, but I want to be able to take them outside too. 

Music genres: acoustic, rock, house, dubstep, country. In no particular order.

Oh gosh I sound so needy.. Thanks HEAD-FI!

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #10,385 of 29,490
So, looks like I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii and the Ultrasone HFI-580 / 780. First of all, which Ultrasone would be better for house, trance, dnb, dubstep, and electronic? Now with that answer, which would be better the Ultrasone or the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii?

I tried out the Senns today at Guitar Center, and they sounded great with that tight bass, way better than my M50s. Only concern was the comfort. The pads were uncomfortable and made my ears sweat like crazy.

Note: I am returning my M50s because they did not have enough bass for me.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #10,386 of 29,490

The Grados have a very distinct sound that some people highly dislike and some people love. If you don't like it immediately, it may take some time before you like it. If you hate it out of the box, you probably won't like them in the long run.

Grados are a type of headphone that really should be heard before someone buys it. 
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #10,387 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my headphone from the DJ1 Pros. I'm leaning towards the DT990/600 and the Q701. Right now, their prices on amazon are about the same. Considering that I have the E9, which should I get?

My music tastes are mostly pop with a bit of dubstep, classical, kpop and light rock.

I don't mind the prices, I just want to know how they compare in terms of soundstage, bass, instrument distinction and sound clarity.

Also, will getting an e10 be a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #10,388 of 29,490

Not very many people recommend the 701s for pop or dubstep--very much other than classical, really.  They would sound awfully thin and bass-light after the Ultrasones.  The DT990/600 might be right up your alley, though.  It has excellent but unbloated (imo) bass, nice clear highs, and a great soundstage.  It's one of the headphones I have that I would recommend as an all-rounder, in that it works with pretty much any genre.

From looking at the specs, the E9 should work great, but if you want to save up for a new amp with the 990/600, wait a bit and then get something with tubes--these headphones love tubes.
Quote:
Hi,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my headphone from the DJ1 Pros. I'm leaning towards the DT990/600 and the Q701. Right now, their prices on amazon are about the same. Considering that I have the E9, which should I get?

My music tastes are mostly pop with a bit of dubstep, classical, kpop and light rock.

I don't mind the prices, I just want to know how they compare in terms of soundstage, bass, instrument distinction and sound clarity.

Also, will getting an e10 be a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #10,389 of 29,490

Quote:
So, looks like I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii and the Ultrasone HFI-580 / 780. First of all, which Ultrasone would be better for house, trance, dnb, dubstep, and electronic? Now with that answer, which would be better the Ultrasone or the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii?
I tried out the Senns today at Guitar Center, and they sounded great with that tight bass, way better than my M50s. Only concern was the comfort. The pads were uncomfortable and made my ears sweat like crazy.
Note: I am returning my M50s because they did not have enough bass for me.

I have both the 780 and 25-1 II, and they are both great headphones.  Neither of them have that much comfort, really, though.  The 780s don't put the pressure right on your ears, but they have serious clamping force, and the pads are pretty small for full-size headphones.  I find the comfort for the HD25-1 II are better with the velours, but don't expect a miraculous change.

If you liked the sound signature of the HD25, you might find the 780 a bit too cold and metallic.  You get a bit more soundstage, but the HD25 is also really forward and aggressive, in a way the 780 can't match.

I know that's not terribly helpful.  The one thing I have learned, though, is this: if you find a headphone uncomfortable when you hear them for a few minutes in the store, don't expect them to be better when you're using them for hours.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #10,390 of 29,490
Hi, trying to get new headphones here but I just can't choose, I have a budget of ~200 and I was aiming towards Sennheiser HD 598 or PX360 BT.
I listen to a lot of metal, some house/dubstep. Advices would be amazing! Thanks in advance. If you have other questions I'll reply ASAP.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #10,391 of 29,490
Hi everybody, I'm looking for a new headphone and I ifnd this forum.

Before all I would say you thank for your work. It's really helpfull for the newbies like me. :) ^^

It's a moment I'm thinking to buy a better headphones than the creepy iphone headphones.

It's really difficult to find something with all the possibility and choice.

I'm not at all a audiophile, I just search a headphone for like everythings.

Looking to buy:
Closed around the ear headphone

Music Style:
 Mainly Electro, Hip Hop and R&B but all kind  

Price range: 
<100$ around 50$ would be perfect

Use:
I would be able to use it when I go to the gym center, a little bit course, else I will use it in the city, commun transport, speak in skype and at home and watch some movies.

Previous research:
I find the line Sennheiser PX 360 BT, Sennheiser PXC 360 BT and MM400 but too expensive for me, I can't really afford it. But maybe you know something like it more cheaper.
Else I find AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ANC27 which look very good for me. But you are better than me to judge. 
I'm open at all every other idea.

I don't really need the noise cancellation, but I just want a good isolation. And I like the possibility to choose if I want to use it by BT or wired.

I think that's it. If you need more informations ask me. Thank you in advance.

ps: I'm sorry if I do a lot of faults, but I'm not english :/

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #10,392 of 29,490
Seasons greetings!

Apologies that my first post is a plea for advice.

I am looking to buy some new headphones over the next few weeks, and I am very new to the audiophile headphone market.
I assumed naively that buying a pair of headphones for under £200 would be a matter of seeing which pair had the most favourable reviews online, and then finding the cheapest place to buy these cans. The more I researched, the more factors I realised I had to take into account, and the more confused I became. My confusion was not helped by the fact that none of the shops in my area allow you to try out headphones, and I found it difficult to trust their advice. 'Beats are the best on the market!' was a line I got sick of hearing. (If there is one conclusion my research allowed me to make, it was that I was not going to buy 'Beats' Headphones)

The factors which clouded the issue for me were:

The existence of Ohm values - I noticed that some models were made identical except for this value (The DT880's spring to mind)

Headphone amplifiers - I gathered that the need for these depended at least partly on the Ohm value, but am completely in the dark as to the conditions which warrant their use, and the portion of my budget I should set aside for these

Closed/open back - I was literally heartbroken when I found that the HD 598's would be impossible to use on public transport due to the sheer amount of sound that they leak. Not only do they seem to receive excellent reviews, but they are also the most beautiful things I have clasped eyes on...

To cut to the chase, I am looking to spend £200 on a pair of headphones (and headphone amplifier if required) which sound stunning playing a range of music (anything from metal through to classical, drum and bass, country...etc) and which will be suitable for use on public transport, though I really don't mind if they aren't particularly portable.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #10,393 of 29,490
Basically I'm in the same situation as Whitey888.

I'm looking to buy some new headphones preferably under £200. The genres that I tend to listen to are Rock, Blues,Heavy Metal and some Classical .I would also be using them when watching films, and also the odd bit of gaming.

Basically I don't want open back headphones because of the leakage when I'm listening to music late at night. (Unless there are some open headphones that don't leak as much)

The main question I want to ask is are there any recommended headphones that people can recommend to me?

I was looking at the Bose QuiteComfort 3/15's at first but then got drawn in to the Bowers and Wilkins P5's. These seemed perfect but I have heard that the sound quality on them isn't as good as other cheaper headphones such as the Audio Techinca ATH M50's. I have heard many possitive reviews about these but I have also heard many people complaining about how much these headphones hurt after a while; plus there is the fact I do not know if these headphones will be the best for the genres I mostly listen to.

Which one of these two would you recommend to me; or are there any other headphones you would recommend me?

Thanks in advance

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #10,394 of 29,490
I have been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770's today, which are retailing for roughly £130.

In terms of sound quality would it be better to buy the 250Ohm set and compliment them with a cheap(ish) portable amp or to spend the full £200(ish, hopefully less)  on a different set of cans?

Very, very confused.

Also, has anyone had experience with the Sennheiser HD598's? To what extent do they leak sound?

I am hoping to begin the new year as an audophile, but I am finding making a decision harder than anything I did at uni...

Thanks

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #10,395 of 29,490

Quote:
I have been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770's today, which are retailing for roughly £130.

In terms of sound quality would it be better to buy the 250Ohm set and compliment them with a cheap(ish) portable amp or to spend the full £200(ish, hopefully less)  on a different set of cans?

Very, very confused.

Also, has anyone had experience with the Sennheiser HD598's? To what extent do they leak sound?

I am hoping to begin the new year as an audophile, but I am finding making a decision harder than anything I did at uni...

Thanks

I have also been looking at the HD 598's and I also would like to know how much sound they leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back