++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #9,796 of 29,490

Quote:
The higher up SR line Grados really don't have much bass either.  I believe the GS/PS series has more bass, but that is way more expensive.  If you want bass with a Grado, I'd suggest the Magnums.

I'd love to, but thats more than the cost of the headphones! lol
Any suggestions?

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #9,798 of 29,490

Quote:
I would assume if money allows for it, to go for the 650 then in most cases? Cause I had planned on getting the 650's to begin with, unless steered differently by the community here. Go big or go home right? 

Any suggestions on a headphone stand as well? I'm going to need to take extreme care of these since I just noticed a slight crack on my 555's.

I did not notice a huge difference between the 600 and 650, and the older 580 is basically a 600 with a cheaper grill and cable. 

Quote:
I'd love to, but thats more than the cost of the headphones! lol
Any suggestions?

The HF-2 has good bass for a Grado. Or just get a cheaper SR60 and mod it. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #9,799 of 29,490

Hey Head-Fi community! Was browsing around for some good suggestions for headphones and I stumbled upon this site. This community seems to excel at providing in-depth and excellent recommendations for headphones so I'll give it a whirl! Thanks in advance.

My price range is from 50-220$ USD. The kinds of music that I listen to are VERY diverse. I highly enjoy D&B, House, and Mainstream Music (De Rulo, Taio Cruz, Adele, etc.) but also enjoy mainstream Hip-hop & Rap (Kudi, Wiz, Lupe Fiasco). Comfort and aesthetics are very important as well as crystal clear sound. Also would prefer if it was portable as I'll be carrying it around alot.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to get Beats since they look fantastic and are very popular but it seems that around these forums they are not highly regarded in a good manner so I decided against it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Preferably, can you ensure that I can buy it off popular stores such as Future Shop, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. because I don't have a credit card and can only deal with cash atm. 

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Simon.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #9,800 of 29,490

Quote:

HF-2 could be found used...
Seem pricey =S

Quote:
The Grado's of the Sennheiser family are always good (HD598.)  They are pretty decently forward, and have some good bass.

I was considering those, but at the same time I read on a thread here about cracking issues.  I'm tough enough on these, all I had to do was super glue the rod back on.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #9,801 of 29,490
Hey guys, I posted this here a month or so ago and i still haven't gotten around to buying a pair, but the time is running out and i need some suggestions:

Hey guys, as you can probably see, i'm new here.

Anyway, i'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I'll be mainly using them for listening to music and occasionally recording my own and friends music and mixing it (if genre matters, i'm mainly recording metal and post-rock).

Budget: Below 100 €

I'm looking for Closed back headphones (yes, open back would be better for mixing but i also want to listen to music sometimes on a train or a bus)

The headphones must work reasonably well without an amp ( yes, i also acknowledge the fact that the amp will make the sound better, but for portability reasons i'd rather not carry one with me, also i'm cheap as **** and can't afford a decent amp )

If it helps, i'll be ordering them from thomann.de .

I have done some research, but there are plenty of options and i just can't decide on my own.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #9,802 of 29,490
Planning on replacing my Ultrasone DJ1 Pros with some DT770's (Non-pro) since my DJ1's left driver has became noticeably weaker than the right one (Yes, downmixed my audio to mono, right driver was louder still).

Anyway, wondering whether or not the DT770's would be right for me, I just want something with some noticeable bass with clear mids to highs. Reading reviews I believe that the DT770's will fit the bill.

Also wondering if it would be better to get either the 250OHM version or 600. Using a Fiio e7+e9 so I am unsure which version would be best.

And my last question, is this site an official distributor of beyers in the UK? Seems to be the only one I can find.

Thanks.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #9,803 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I posted this here a month or so ago and i still haven't gotten around to buying a pair, but the time is running out and i need some suggestions:

Anyway, i'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I'll be mainly using them for listening to music and occasionally recording my own and friends music and mixing it (if genre matters, i'm mainly recording metal and post-rock).

I'm looking for Closed back headphones (yes, open back would be better for mixing but i also want to listen to music sometimes on a train or a bus)

The headphones must work reasonably well without an amp ( yes, i also acknowledge the fact that the amp will make the sound better, but for portability reasons i'd rather not carry one with me, also i'm cheap as **** and can't afford a decent amp )

I have done some research, but there are plenty of options and i just can't decide on my own.

The Shure 440's will do. i have them. they are studio sets of headphones that will do all around. however, rock is it's main...thing since it has slightly emphasized bass, but great highs and mids. look them up. they have a high sensibility and 44 Ohms so they are ok to drive. i run it through the FiiO E5. you should get an E6 amp. it's only $25 USD so 19 euros. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #9,804 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey Head-Fi community! Was browsing around for some good suggestions for headphones and I stumbled upon this site. This community seems to excel at providing in-depth and excellent recommendations for headphones so I'll give it a whirl! Thanks in advance.

My price range is from 50-220$ USD. The kinds of music that I listen to are VERY diverse. I highly enjoy D&B, House, and Mainstream Music (De Rulo, Taio Cruz, Adele, etc.) but also enjoy mainstream Hip-hop & Rap (Kudi, Wiz, Lupe Fiasco). Comfort and aesthetics are very important as well as crystal clear sound. Also would prefer if it was portable as I'll be carrying it around alot.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to get Beats since they look fantastic and are very popular but it seems that around these forums they are not highly regarded in a good manner so I decided against it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Preferably, can you ensure that I can buy it off popular stores such as Future Shop, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. because I don't have a credit card and can only deal with cash atm. 

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Simon.

V-Moda M80 should be available in mainstream stores soon.

Quote:
HF-2 could be found used...
Seem pricey =S

Are you under the illusion that this hobby is cheap?  
tongue.gif
 Nope, the best thing you can do is buy something quickly within budget, then run very far away from this place. Your wallet will thank you.

Quote:

Senn HD280 and Sony V6 are defacto standards for recording and mixing with decent flat response, good durability, and isolation (the Senn is king here). 

Quote:
Planning on replacing my Ultrasone DJ1 Pros with some DT770's (Non-pro) since my DJ1's left driver has became noticeably weaker than the right one (Yes, downmixed my audio to mono, right driver was louder still).
Anyway, wondering whether or not the DT770's would be right for me, I just want something with some noticeable bass with clear mids to highs. Reading reviews I believe that the DT770's will fit the bill.
Also wondering if it would be better to get either the 250OHM version or 600. Using a Fiio e7+e9 so I am unsure which version would be best.
And my last question, is this site an official distributor of beyers in the UK? Seems to be the only one I can find.
Thanks.

I find the DT770 (non pro) bass a little strong at times and bleeding into the mids, but they are a solid can. If you don't need the isolation, I prefer the DT880. 

Stick with the 250 ohm if you're planning on using these portably. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #9,805 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks.

??? The ultrasone DJ1 (not the pro's) are the HFI 580's except with coiled cable and diff design. check around teh web(espeically head fi) you will see that through 9/10 comparisons between the DT770's more people still prefer the Ultrasone HFI 580's due to tight punch bass. Can't you just call up Ultrasone and warranty the headphone? if not.....if you really liked them..buy the HFI 580's? i just got them for $118 off BH. it's US only but Amazon has them for the same price right now. difference with the DJ1 and DJ1 pro's is said to be a wider soundstage on the Pro's. and..that's it i guess.
you have a very powerful Amplifer with the E9 which will/has been reviewed to drive anything. and a decent DAC in the E7. there is a thread here on head fi that i saw today that compared all the ohms version of the beyerdynamics. you should try to look it up.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #9,806 of 29,490
Currently using a pair of DT 770 Pro 80's, which I got just for the bass / fun factor, but I've recently noticed they're lacking in detail (vs. my previous HD280's) as well as featuring slightly recessed mids. 

So, I'm looking for the most balanced, clear & detailed headphone I can find under $300.

Considering:

SRH840
AKG K701
SRH940

Suggestions?

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #9,807 of 29,490

Quote:
Currently using a pair of DT 770 Pro 80's, which I got just for the bass / fun factor, but I've recently noticed they're lacking in detail (vs. my previous HD280's) as well as featuring slightly recessed mids. 

So, I'm looking for the most balanced, clear & detailed headphone I can find under $300.

Considering:

SRH840
AKG K701
SRH940

Suggestions?

Assuming you are considering either open or closed - then Sennheiser HD600, or Beyer DT880.  If closed - the Fischer FA-003.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #9,808 of 29,490
??? The ultrasone DJ1 (not the pro's) are the HFI 580's except with coiled cable and diff design. check around teh web(espeically head fi) you will see that through 9/10 comparisons between the DT770's more people still prefer the Ultrasone HFI 580's due to tight punch bass. Can't you just call up Ultrasone and warranty the headphone? if not.....if you really liked them..buy the HFI 580's? i just got them for $118 off BH. it's US only but Amazon has them for the same price right now. difference with the DJ1 and DJ1 pro's is said to be a wider soundstage on the Pro's. and..that's it i guess.
you have a very powerful Amplifer with the E9 which will/has been reviewed to drive anything. and a decent DAC in the E7. there is a thread here on head fi that i saw today that compared all the ohms version of the beyerdynamics. you should try to look it up.

I bought from an "unauthorized reseller" so I don't think I can get the warranty on them, unfortunately. Didn't buy the HFI 580's last year because I didn't want extremely punchy bass, so I got the DJ1 Pros (Think they are the same as the Pro 550's) which I heard had a more toned down tighter bass with a good soundstage and high end, which I wanted and did love.

It seems that the non-pro DT770's will be to my taste, don't feel the urge to purchase another DJ1 Pro and have the same thing happen again in a years time.

Anyway, so the E9 'should' drive the 600ohm version of the DT770's?

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #9,809 of 29,490

Quote:
I did not notice a huge difference between the 600 and 650, and the older 580 is basically a 600 with a cheaper grill and cable. 

Looks like I can grab some 650's for ~$330 USD. Guess I'm pulling the trigger sooner than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back