++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #9,826 of 29,490

Hey Everyone, long time browser here  :)

So I'm looking to buy myself a set of headphones after moving my main sound system around to work better with my tv it is now completly out of place in relation to my PC which isn't ideal for music or gaming or well anything, was hoping I could get some recommendations from people who know a lot more on this topic then me. 
tongue.gif

really I'm looking for a good all rounder but I expect that is hard to find so the most important aspect in buying some is for music, closely followed by gaming then not so importantly TV and movies etc

my budget firstly is around £125 which is about $200 for Americans :), after researching though it looks like its nearly a 1:1 ratio price wise :frowning2:, my music tastes are fairly wide, mostly listen to Metal (nearly every sub genre but a lot of power metal and thrash quite a bit  death and black but listen to many others fairly often too :p), I also listen to loads and loads of rock , a lot of 80's glam rock, hair metal, a lot of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple that kind of earlier stuff as well as Meat Loaf and pop rock and lots of hard rock and alternative and grunge , basically a wide taste in rock :p, those two are probs what I mainly listen to but I still listen to a lot of other music, including ska, reggae, punk, pop music, a tiny bit of rap and other music, and nearly no classical though I listen to a lot of symphonic metal so  a set that could handle it would be quite nice, I prefer to have more bass then not enough, and really I probs like more bass then is ideal, I like that kind of punchy thumpy bass that you can actually feel during a bass guitar or a drum solo so yeah quite a lot of bass I guess :p, I do like a detailed sound though for power metal and rock so a bass that doesn't smear all over everything is quite important, listening to power metal when it is just muddy isn't nice, I like a somewhat true to source sound but really prefer more a sound then is fun/nice and good to listen to as well

I will also use them quite a lot for gaming and tv/movies and everything else so anything that could do a somewhat decent job with those would be good.

haha sorry this is beginning to sound like I'm trying to buy a set that is perfect for everything :p

oh and I would prefer closed rather then open if I happen to be in a noisy enviroment and situations like that

anything else I should mention/you need?

thanks for any advice anyone :) 

Craig

Quote:

Sony V6/7506 or ZX700
Sennheiser HD280/380 or HD25-1-ii
Denon D1001/1100
Creative Aurvana Live

Quote:
Heya,

Check out:

Fischer Audio FA-002W
Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO
Audio Technica A900X (sale, or used)
Ultrasone PRO 650
Denon D2000 (used)

Very best,

could anyone help me narrow this down or offer any more suggestions please?, I'm completly stuck :p, so far after hours of reading reviews and that if i had to say I was leaning towards any it would be one of the Sennheisers, one of the the Denons or the DT770's or maybe the Ultrasone 650's but that might be completley wrong, I can't get the A900x so that hasn't been looked at, but to be honest I'm totally overwhelmed at the moment and have no idea :p, for my listening habits as detailed above, it would be easier if I had any stores near me where I could try them but i don't, so basically I'm hoping for a few more sources of opinions and advice, sorry I'm totally new to over ear headphones :p

thanks anyone who replies :)

Craig

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #9,827 of 29,490
Ok guys, first post here.

Had Sennheiser hd555:s for 4 years. Now I need new headphones. Gonna upgrade them a bit.

I listen 50% dance/techno/hiphop and 50% rock. Also gonna use them on movies (which is almost as important to me as music listening) and gaming purposes. Sounds a bit confusing situation, for me at least.

After 2 days research i think i have narrowed down to these competitors:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 880 (230 euros)
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 990 (230 euros)
  3. Denon AH-D2000 (230 euros)
  4. Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 (260 euros)
  5. Sennheiser HD600 (250 euros)
  6. Sennheiser HD650 (290 euros)

These are all in same price range in Europe. If u have better suggestion to my needs, I'm open to hear that too.. :)

I'm going to DIY/buy some DAC/amp for them, gonna connect it to PC via USB, if u have any recommends on that side, i'd love to hear that too. Total price shouldn't go much over 400 euros. 

Thanks in advance, Jere

Edited: Forgot DAC

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #9,828 of 29,490

Quote:
The cracking is purely cosmetic.  It doesn't change the actual working of it at all.  It really isn't much of an issue, but I wish Sennheiser would fix it.

Couldn't it lead to the whole piece breaking off eventually?

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #9,829 of 29,490

Quote:
Next week I'll receive ~ 100$ for a new pair of headphones. I had HD228 but the bass was too strong for my taste.
The types of music that I listen to are dubstep - dnb, alternative and classic rock, vocal trance-edm. 
I was looking at the HD439 ( 70$ ) and HD449(80$).
Can you recommend me other brands/models?

Someone? :D

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #9,830 of 29,490
wait...the bass on sennheiser were too much?
Some to look at 
ATH-M50
Ultrasone HFI 580
They are both $120 right now.
however it seems the HFI 580's are beter. they have more/better audiophile lows than the more muddy but louder ones on the m50. and also have great highs and mids

http://www.head-fi.org/t/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80
http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2

they are slightly more...but...they look a lore more worth it than what he has.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #9,832 of 29,490

Quote:
Fortunately not.  Never heard of that ever happening.  The headband itself isn't connected to the part that cracks.  It is just an outer shell.  So, purely cosmetic.

Ah, well I'm still leaning towards the 325i's right now, or possibly considering a set of closed headphones.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #9,833 of 29,490

I mostly listen to music on my Iphone4 and I plan on getting the 598s for xmas, and i have a few questions.

First of all, I am getting these to listen to one band and that is phish.  They are a live band so all their recordings are live shows.  There sound is a jazz/rock/funk/jam conglomerate  with a lot of guitar, piano, and bass solos and there are not many lyrics so vocals are not too important.  There are also a lot of breakdowns which are heavy in instrument interplay and improvisation.  I will link some examples.

Question A: Are open-ear headphones good for soundboard recordings of live concerts?  Or should i bee looking for closed-ear?  I am not worried about sound linkage because these obviously will be for home.

Question B: I primarily use an iphone4 to listen to phish, do i need to use DAC? If DAC is not needed should i get an AMP? Or would it be best just to get a combo like the fiio E7 or E10?

I am sure i will think of more questions.

Thank in advance for the help, this is my first thread here.  I have a pair of those $100 in-ear bose head phones but i am looking for something for at home when i listen to some serious phish.  

here are some jams, how would these sound with a 598+E7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_LbiktXSJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3fMacqBpW5w#t=338s

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #9,834 of 29,490
Unless it is really, really well recorded, it is going to be eaten alive by the HD598s.  The Fiio E7 is only a DAC, no amp.  IMO, you need an amp for the HD598s for the best sound possible.  You can run without an amp, but there isn't a lot of bass without one.  Open headphones vs closed in this case doesn't matter.

Quote:

I mostly listen to music on my Iphone4 and I plan on getting the 598s for xmas, and i have a few questions.

First of all, I am getting these to listen to one band and that is phish.  They are a live band so all their recordings are live shows.  There sound is a jazz/rock/funk/jam conglomerate  with a lot of guitar, piano, and bass solos and there are not many lyrics so vocals are not too important.  There are also a lot of breakdowns which are heavy in instrument interplay and improvisation.  I will link some examples.

Question A: Are open-ear headphones good for soundboard recordings of live concerts?  Or should i bee looking for closed-ear?  I am not worried about sound linkage because these obviously will be for home.

Question B: I primarily use an iphone4 to listen to phish, do i need to use DAC? If DAC is not needed should i get an AMP? Or would it be best just to get a combo like the fiio E7 or E10?

I am sure i will think of more questions.

Thank in advance for the help, this is my first thread here.  I have a pair of those $100 in-ear bose head phones but i am looking for something for at home when i listen to some serious phish.  

here are some jams, how would these sound with a 598+E7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_LbiktXSJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3fMacqBpW5w#t=338s

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #9,835 of 29,490
LIm torn betwen the hd 558 and 598. I hear the 598 is a little better, but theyre $85 more than the hd 558 on amazon. The reason im most torn is because they look freakn amazing! They just look so awesome i cant get over it. How much better is their SQ and pinpointing abilities?

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #9,836 of 29,490
I am looking for a really good pair of headphones between the price of $300-$500. I listen to a lot of electronic, house and dubstep music but also some rock , rap and hip hop. I want it to have great bass but also great miss and highs that won't get drowned out by the bass or at least te best I can get in that price range. I have been looking at the AiAiAi TMA-1, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, and Vmoda crossfade m-80 but not sure as I am a consumer and don't know much about really high end audio equipment so hopefully you guys. Can help me out. I will be using my laptop and desktop computer to listen to music as well as my iPhone any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #9,837 of 29,490

Quote:
Unless it is really, really well recorded, it is going to be eaten alive by the HD598s.  The Fiio E7 is only a DAC, no amp.  IMO, you need an amp for the HD598s for the best sound possible.  You can run without an amp, but there isn't a lot of bass without one.  Open headphones vs closed in this case doesn't matter.

The E7 is both a DAC and an amp.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #9,840 of 29,490
Hey everyone.  I am a music enthusiast.  I am not a producer, I don't consider myself an audiophile, and I'm not really a very critical listener.  But I like my music to sound the way it is supposed to sound.

I go to college and 40% of the students either own Monster Beats or Bose AE2's, and I will not settle for a pair of either of those.

Three headphones I'm considering are the AKG K240 MKII, Audio-Technica ATH M50, and Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro

I am on a budget of around $200, preferably less.  I listen to mainly alternative (RHCP, Sublime), folk and soft rock (Mumford and Sons, Coldplay), as well as occasional techno, pop, dubstep, and even classical.

I'm looking for a balanced sound spectrum and solid, dynamic and deep bass, but not overpowering or hugely emphasized bass.  I want a decent soundstage to exist, but, as I'm not a classical enthusiast, it doesn't need to be vast like an open reference can.

The K240 MKII is available on amazon for $140, the ATH M50 for $144, and the DT770 Pro's for $170

I am aware that the K240 would leak sound, but otherwise, are these headphones very similar in sound and value? Or is there a clear, outstanding choice based on the above prices and my listening preferences?  Is there a better headphone out there that comes to mind?

Thank you so much!  I will answer any other questions if it would help with recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back