++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #9,151 of 29,490
bump anyone?

Quote:
Has anyone here ever opened up an Ultrasone HFi450? Specifically, I want to know if the drivers are easy to remove. Extra brownie points if you happen to have pictures.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #9,153 of 29,490

Quote:
I am currently trying to find some good gaming headphones for about $100-200.  Trying to do a bit of research but quickly became overwhelmed by all these different model numbers and out of date info.  I read that the HD555s are really good but it was info from 2010, saw the 518s on amazon for a good price and was considering those.  I am not sure what the difference is between them though.  I feel the sennheiser's will have the best feel when worn which is important to me for long gaming sessions.  Also had someone recommend siberia's to me but I heard they aren't the best.  

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

There really isn't a "huge" difference between the HD5xx models (not counting the HD580 which is the precursor to the HD600).

If you want a good deal for a gaming headphone, the Senn PC360 is currently on sale through Amazon at a very good price.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #9,154 of 29,490

Quote:
I am currently trying to find some good gaming headphones for about $100-200.  Trying to do a bit of research but quickly became overwhelmed by all these different model numbers and out of date info.  I read that the HD555s are really good but it was info from 2010, saw the 518s on amazon for a good price and was considering those.  I am not sure what the difference is between them though.  I feel the sennheiser's will have the best feel when worn which is important to me for long gaming sessions.  Also had someone recommend siberia's to me but I heard they aren't the best.  
Any advice would be great!
Thanks

There are some good prices on the HD-555, even better for used ones on eBay.
and you can get a decent mic for under $15, do you use a mic when gaming?
Prices on new Sennheiser headphone will be as low as possible in 2 to 3 weeks
Which will drive used ones down in price too.
The HD-558 is an improved HD-555
The Sennheiser PC360 has been creeping down in price.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #9,155 of 29,490

Quote:

There really isn't a "huge" difference between the HD5xx models (not counting the HD580 which is the precursor to the HD600).

If you want a good deal for a gaming headphone, the Senn PC360 is currently on sale through Amazon at a very good price.

Ah I might just get the 518s then, I don't need that huge mic in front of my face.  Plus they are only $95.  Thanks for the suggestion though

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #9,156 of 29,490

Quote:
There are some good prices on the HD-555, even better for used ones on eBay.
and you can get a decent mic for under $15, do you use a mic when gaming?
Prices on new Sennheiser headphone will be as low as possible in 2 to 3 weeks
Which will drive used ones down in price too.
The HD-558 is an improved HD-555
The Sennheiser PC360 has been creeping down in price.

Yeah I just use my webcam mic and it has been treating me pretty well.  Would the 558 be an improvement over the 518? The sennheiser website sucks

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #9,157 of 29,490

Quote:
All three of those headphones are dark, have bloated bass (although mk2 probably still has more quality), and little soundstage. Not good for anything you listed. 

small soundstage 0o, most head fiers say these two headphone have a gigantic soundstage for closed headphones. Still, Idk which is best out of the three, and I know the M50 has least bass then D1100 and then MKii 

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #9,158 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah I just use my webcam mic and it has been treating me pretty well.  Would the 558 be an improvement over the 518? The sennheiser website sucks

I've seen a few reviewers say they like the 558 over the 518.
The 558 uses the same driver as the 598
With the 558 you can remove the black rubber tape from inside the 558 to kick up the bass.
I got my 558 for $137.00 (new) off eBay about 40 days ago.

Do Google searches, check Bountii website and eBay.
Between those three should find the best deal.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #9,159 of 29,490

Quote:
I've seen a few reviewers say they like the 558 over the 518.
The 558 uses the same driver as the 598
With the 558 you can remove the black rubber tape from inside the 558 to kick up the bass.
I got my 558 for $137.00 (new) off eBay about 40 days ago.

Do Google searches, check Bountii website and eBay.
Between those three should find the best deal.

Ooh thats interesting about the bass.  I am reading around and a lot say the bass on most of these headphones is lacking a bit.  I don't expect to have dubstep blowing my head off but I'd like to feel some explosions in games ya know?  The senns are looking best choice for me in this maze of headphone information

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #9,160 of 29,490
Hey guys I am currently debating whether or not to purchase the Sennheiser HD650s. I've curently got Sennheiser HD280 which are being amped by a FIIO E11. I'm a college student and budding audiophile. I would mainly be using the headphones to listen to while studying and inside my dorm. Would it be more feasable to get the lower level HD like like 598s or is this extra money really worth? I really listen to just about every single genre of music besides country. Thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #9,161 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the headphone thing but I've been looking for some new headphones. This would be a desktop setup hooked up to my PC. I'm looking to spend somewhere between $200-400. I just want to get a good pair that I will be content with for a long time. This price could include an amp if you think that would be a good route to go. I am in no hurry to get these and can wait to see what comes up during Black Friday.

These headphones would be for listening to music and playing PC games. The majority of music I listen to is largely electronic (House and Trance mostly), along with some rock, rap, pop, and classical.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #9,162 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys I am currently debating whether or not to purchase the Sennheiser HD650s. I've curently got Sennheiser HD280 which are being amped by a FIIO E11. I'm a college student and budding audiophile. I would mainly be using the headphones to listen to while studying and inside my dorm. Would it be more feasable to get the lower level HD like like 598s or is this extra money really worth? I really listen to just about every single genre of music besides country. Thanks in advance!

Price wise, between now and Christmas, prices could drop. So you might want see what drops the most.
Check Google search, eBay and Bountii.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #9,163 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the headphone thing but I've been looking for some new headphones. This would be a desktop setup hooked up to my PC. I'm looking to spend somewhere between $200-400. I just want to get a good pair that I will be content with for a long time. This price could include an amp if you think that would be a good route to go. I am in no hurry to get these and can wait to see what comes up during Black Friday.
These headphones would be for listening to music and playing PC games. The majority of music I listen to is largely electronic (House and Trance mostly), along with some rock, rap, pop, and classical.

Do you use on board sound or a separate sound card?
With on board sound you would get headphones in the 25 to 60-Ohm range.
If you get a Creative Labs Titanium HD sound card, you would great gaming audio features
and be able to use headphones up to 300-Ohms.
Sometimes the Titanium HD goes on sale with a mail in rebate.

Asus Xonar Essence STX, also almost as good for gaming as Titanium HD.
Can use headphones up to 600-Ohms

You can get a single tube headphone amplifier off eBay starting at $50
easily powers 300-Ohm headphones, and I'm guessing up to 600-Ohm.

Prices on headphones will be going down during this next month. so do not buy yet.
Sennheiser HD-558, nice open headphones, fair amount of bass
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 great open headphones for gaming, but bass light.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #9,164 of 29,490

Quote:
Do you use on board sound or a separate sound card?
With on board sound you would get headphones in the 25 to 60-Ohm range.
If you get a Creative Labs Titanium HD sound card, you would great gaming audio features
and be able to use headphones up to 300-Ohms.
Sometimes the Titanium HD goes on sale with a mail in rebate.

Asus Xonar Essence STX, also almost as good for gaming as Titanium HD.
Can use headphones up to 600-Ohms

You can get a single tube headphone amplifier off eBay starting at $50
easily powers 300-Ohm headphones, and I'm guessing up to 600-Ohm.

Prices on headphones will be going down during this next month. so do not buy yet.
Sennheiser HD-558, nice open headphones, fair amount of bass
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 great open headphones for gaming, but bass light.

Right now I'm using onboard sound. I wouldn't be against upgrading however. My current motherboard has the Realtek ALC889 chipset. I'll stay on the lookout for these two headphones. Any amplifier in particular that you would recommend if I went that route?

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #9,165 of 29,490

Quote:
Right now I'm using onboard sound. I wouldn't be against upgrading however. My current motherboard has the Realtek ALC889 chipset. I'll stay on the lookout for these two headphones. Any amplifier in particular that you would recommend if I went that route?

For single tube headphone amplifier.
I think Indeed is best, there are on their third generation (G3) design.
The only G3 model they sell is a headphone amp with preamp, which is over $100
Indeed has a slightly better chip  (IRF510) for treble, starting with the G2, most other use a IRF630.
Also Indeed has a delay built in to their amps (G3), the headphones do not pop when the unit is turned on.
But other makers are also recently installing that feature.
The EH 6922 tube seems to be the best, and also the most expensive tube.

My Indeed 6922 ($88) stopped working after less then to months.
It had been moving from house to house, lose in a box, so it might be my fault.
Thought it was a defective AC power adapter, ordered another one for $18, 10 days to ship from China.
Turned out it was not the AC adapter (6922 tube tested ok), so I'm out $115.

So, I would say go for a cheaper one (different brand?) that has that power up delay built in.
You can save a few dollars if you go after the ones up for "Biding", not "Buy It Now"
and your not picky about which model tube they use.
Name brand resistors, capacitors to me are a plus.
and they have at least gone though one revision on their design,
like made the PCB has been redesigned.

Now also for around $20 (after $10 mail in rebate), you can just get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card.
The built in headphone amplifier is rated up to 150-Ohms.
It comes with Dolby Digital (headphone) 5.1, which is great for DVD movies, and helps in some games.
Sennheiser HD-558 headphone is rated at 50-Ohms.
So Sennheiser HD-558 and Asus Xonar DG, total $160 to $180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back