++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 14, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #9,136 of 29,490
Hi, so i am new in this field, and i'm about to buy a pair of head phones, i'm considering between the Sennheiser HD 201 and the Pioneer SE-M290, does anybody have any advice or experience between those two? One thing to consider is they are mostly at the same price ($15 and  $19 respectively). Thank you

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #9,137 of 29,490
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #9,138 of 29,490

Sorry, I'm back again with the same question but with a lower budget after the wife found out what I was going to spend.
   What over ear phones, open or closed, for heavy metal, rock and alternative from a iMac or Pod. I'm after low volume clarity with "bass" that sounds like the drum that made it and can keep up with a fast beat. My new budget allows phones like SR80i, MS1, AD700, SRH750 and HD380, other suggestions welcome. I do plan on a amp but not straight away.
Thanks again in advance.

Quote:
  SR-80i or MS1.  The MS1 is a bit more balanced IMO.

The MS1 sounds more for me then, but all reviews on both MS1 and SR-80i say they are not the most comfortable. I cannot find a mod thread for this, am I typing the wrong thing? Do the HD380 compare to the MS1 at all in sound? because they were comfortable in the shop.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #9,139 of 29,490
Nov 14, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #9,140 of 29,490
I've considered the Beyers DT880/DT990, Senn HD600/650 and Denon D2000. However, I live in Russia, and while the Beyers and Senns go for ~350$ here, Denon costs an outlandish 500$. Of course, ordering them online from a foreign store is always an option, but after browsing head-fi a bit more, I found quite a lot of praise for Fischer FA-011. I understand that they might have a bit of FotM and giant slayer thing going for them, but I can get them easily and they go for 100$ here, no shipping needed. From what I was able to gather, they are quite similar to D2000, and the overall sound quality is on par or only slightly worse than the headphones listed above. Considering pricing and availability, what should I do?

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #9,141 of 29,490
Ha, sorry hadn't seen this thread... apologies.

I will read all and be back shortly :)

currently listening to music via Iphone4 and TMA-1s

Looking to get myself deeper into this audiophile world [but not too deep :)] and would like an amp and head phones for home listening.

Budget. err Under £500

Music. electronic, metal, indie, all sorts really.

help appreciated.

regards.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #9,142 of 29,490
Don't worry, they aren't uncomfortable.  Just make sure you use the comfy pads (which they come with.)

Quote:
     Quote:
  SR-80i or MS1.  The MS1 is a bit more balanced IMO.

The MS1 sounds more for me then, but all reviews on both MS1 and SR-80i say they are not the most comfortable. I cannot find a mod thread for this, am I typing the wrong thing? Do the HD380 compare to the MS1 at all in sound? because they were comfortable in the shop.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #9,143 of 29,490
I,m looking for a closed headphone advice. I have AKG701 which I like but have the usual complaints(a little forward and harsh on poorly mastered recording). My headphone amp is a doge 6210 tube and a mamba D4 portable. I'm wanting a headphone that isolates well and is of a quality similar or slightly higher then the AKG 701. I don't concider myself a bass head but the 701 aren't quite dark enough.
After reading posts the DT 770 pro 250 ohm are on my list. Are they a step down,up or sideways? What else should I be looking at?
I listen to a large variety of music (except disco).
Thanks  Brian

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #9,144 of 29,490
So since I wanted to buy ath-m50's, but i couldn't find in local store, then I wasted my money on something else, and now I'm looking for cheaper variant. I will be using them for music, films, a bit of games. Want bass, not that huge to shake my head, but still. I will be using mostly with my pc with Intel HD Audio. I found Sennheiser hd 202 II, will they be good for me? I will buy from here(translated to english with google translator): http://translate.google.lt/translate?sl=lt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=lt&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifipasaulis.lt%2F it says price in pounds, but it's not in pounds, it's in Litas, so something that will fit me for around 100-120 money? How about ath-sj11?

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #9,145 of 29,490

[size=10pt]Hi Guys![/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I'm not really a fan of IEMs, but since I'm too lazy for storing-taking out my PX-100s on their carrying box, I'm willing to give a new try to IEMs.

Looking for something:
[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]- Under $100 [/size]

[size=10pt]- Not prone to get broken[/size]

[size=10pt]- Really comfortable. I know that this varies for everyone, but there are certain models that there is a common agreement.[/size]

[size=10pt]- Sounding better than my PX-100s[/size]

[size=10pt]- Sounding preferences: Deep and Tight, but not overwhelming bass, Treble not rolled off. Mids not recessed,[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I was considering Shure SE215 and  RE-0. But then I started to read a lot of posts from people complaining how easily they get broken. Since I live outside the US, it would be very hard to claim the warranty. I'm buying the headphones on my next visit to the US (Thanksgiving).  [/size]

[size=10pt]Maybe I'm asking for too much with such a little budget?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
[/size]

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #9,146 of 29,490

Quote:
I,m looking for a closed headphone advice. I have AKG701 which I like but have the usual complaints(a little forward and harsh on poorly mastered recording). My headphone amp is a doge 6210 tube and a mamba D4 portable. I'm wanting a headphone that isolates well and is of a quality similar or slightly higher then the AKG 701. I don't concider myself a bass head but the 701 aren't quite dark enough.
After reading posts the DT 770 pro 250 ohm are on my list. Are they a step down,up or sideways? What else should I be looking at?
Thanks  Brian

What about some Denon AHD2000  ? They are closed cans and they have been compared by many against the Senn HD650. Almost everything I've read about those cans is good.  

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #9,147 of 29,490

Quote:

Looking to get myself deeper into this audiophile world [but not too deep :)] and would like an amp and head phones for home listening.

Budget. err Under £500

help appreciated.

regards.

As an AMP/DAC I would recommend Audio GD NFB-12 . It's 200 USD + Shipping to your country.  It is a very Decent DAC (uses dual Wolfson WM8741) and has enough power for  properly amping hungry puppies like the famous HD650. 

About the cans .... I would need more info about your sound preferences but

Closed and Dark  -> Denon D2000
 Open and Dark -> Senn HD650
 Open and Bright -> Grado SR225i (Really fun for rock!)

Oh and don't worry about the look of audio-gd home page. There is a lot of people that can vouche for the Quality of its products and how honest they are. 

Remember, you should always start by upgrading the quality of the material you listen to (MP3 320 or FLAC / ALAC when possible)

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #9,148 of 29,490
Can anyone provide some quick input? 

I currently have a pair of SR80is and run them unamped and use them indoors and outdoors (I know). I'm looking to get something closed (for the outdoors) and something that doesn't give me that Grado fatigue that plagues me and the SR80is (as I can't listen to them for more than 45 minutes or so). I'm currently looking at M50s (and others in the price range). Is there any other 'phones I should take a look at first?

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #9,149 of 29,490
I am currently trying to find some good gaming headphones for about $100-200.  Trying to do a bit of research but quickly became overwhelmed by all these different model numbers and out of date info.  I read that the HD555s are really good but it was info from 2010, saw the 518s on amazon for a good price and was considering those.  I am not sure what the difference is between them though.  I feel the sennheiser's will have the best feel when worn which is important to me for long gaming sessions.  Also had someone recommend siberia's to me but I heard they aren't the best.  

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #9,150 of 29,490

Quote:
Pretty straight-forward, looking for entry-budget (up to around 75$) headphones. Top choices so far are:
Sennheiser HD 215-II, Sennheiser HD 439, Sennheiser HD 429, Beyerdynamic 235. Should i push a bit and get the Grado SR60i's?
I listen to literally any genre, ranging from all jazz, trip top to techno, rock (industrial, alternative, progressive, "indie"), some classical'ish acts, etc.
Specifically i want to know if the BD 235's or the HD 439's come close enough to the Grado's (or any other phone for that matter, but some are more difficult for me to actually purchase than others).

Check out Joker's big portables review thread, linked in the first post of this thread. He covers several of your listed choices.

Quote:
Tell me,what should i choose ?
Audio technica ATH PRO700 MK2 or Denon AH-D1100 or Audio Technica ATH-WS55 or Pioneer HDJ-500 ?
Not all in the same price range...

WS55 cost 100$
ATH PRO700 MK2-cost 190$

There will always be a "what if" the further up the budget you go. How much do you feel comfortable spending? Pick a price point and stick to it. 

Quote:
Hi, so i am new in this field, and i'm about to buy a pair of head phones, i'm considering between the Sennheiser HD 201 and the Pioneer SE-M290, does anybody have any advice or experience between those two? One thing to consider is they are mostly at the same price ($15 and  $19 respectively). Thank you

I'm not a fan of the cheap Pioneers. 

Quote:
I've considered the Beyers DT880/DT990, Senn HD600/650 and Denon D2000. However, I live in Russia, and while the Beyers and Senns go for ~350$ here, Denon costs an outlandish 500$. Of course, ordering them online from a foreign store is always an option, but after browsing head-fi a bit more, I found quite a lot of praise for Fischer FA-011. I understand that they might have a bit of FotM and giant slayer thing going for them, but I can get them easily and they go for 100$ here, no shipping needed. From what I was able to gather, they are quite similar to D2000, and the overall sound quality is on par or only slightly worse than the headphones listed above. Considering pricing and availability, what should I do?

Considering price, the Fischer is practically a no-brainer.

Quote:

Budget. err Under £500

help appreciated.

regards.

Beyerdynamic DT880 or Senn HD600/540 plus whatever desktop dac/amp combo fits the rest of your budget. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I'd recommend the Bottlehead Crack tube amp. 

Quote:
Thanks  Brian

I would say a step sideways, and the DT770 are quite bassy. Maybe consider the new AKG K550?

Quote:
So since I wanted to buy ath-m50's, but i couldn't find in local store, then I wasted my money on something else, and now I'm looking for cheaper variant. I will be using them for music, films, a bit of games. Want bass, not that huge to shake my head, but still. I will be using mostly with my pc with Intel HD Audio. I found Sennheiser hd 202 II, will they be good for me? I will buy from here(translated to english with google translator): http://translate.google.lt/translate?sl=lt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=lt&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifipasaulis.lt%2F it says price in pounds, but it's not in pounds, it's in Litas, so something that will fit me for around 100-120 money? How about ath-sj11?

Try local music/guitar stores which should have a good selection of Audio Technica (M50, M40, etc), Beyerdynamic (DT250/770/880/990), and Sennheisers and Shures. 

Quote:
Can anyone provide some quick input? 

I currently have a pair of SR80is and run them unamped and use them indoors and outdoors (I know). I'm looking to get something closed (for the outdoors) and something that doesn't give me that Grado fatigue that plagues me and the SR80is (as I can't listen to them for more than 45 minutes or so). I'm currently looking at M50s (and others in the price range). Is there any other 'phones I should take a look at first?

Check out Joker's huge portables review thread, linked in the first post of this thread. Random suggestions: Phiaton MS300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back