++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #9,106 of 29,490
Sorry that i had actually requested for suggestions elsewhere in a new thread in the forum before seeing this thread.
Generally, my budget is below 50 euro and i'm using ipoh shuffle to listen to musics most of the time, and sometimes with my laptop. Aspire 4810TZ. I opt for classical, acoustic, light instrumental musics and sometimes rock and music with heavy base. I will like to have a headphones rather than a earphone because i thought that headphones can actually have some noise cancellation effect compared to earphone and the built-in feature of noise cancellation is much more costly. I hope to be able to purchase online from Ireland as i could not do the audition. Noise cancellation effect seems to be appealing if it's affordable. By the way, i'm wearing specs, so i wonder if some headphones which are tight will actually cause discomfort or not.

As i have only reviewed limit choices of headphones, there are not much options for me. I will like to exclude Sony and Beat for some personal reasons. My previous post was http://www.head-fi.org/t/578786/hd201-hd203-hd228-hd238-which-one-is-more-recommended)

I had read some comments regard Koss Porta Pro Stereo Headphones, Superlux HD668B Standard Headphones, and  Klipsch Image S4 Headphones and SennHeiserHD238.

Could anyone please comment on those headphones? As from (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-headphones/?tag=centerColumnArea1.0;buyAdvice), i saw that Klipsch Image S4 Headphones had topped that chart.

From amazon.co.uk, Superlux HD668B Standard Headphones has only 1 customer review, which i thought that it might have low popularity but from head-fi.org, it ranked the 6th position. So i was confused. Besides that, i couldnt find shop that allows audition for those headphones except SennHeiser here.

If i could not make up my mind, i might order Superlux HD668B from amazon, will that be recommended? 

Thanks lot

Thanks for any comments.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #9,107 of 29,490

Quote:
   I'm a newbie getting lost in my search for some good over-ear phones, open or closed. They'll be used mostly with the Apple range of products at home listening to metal, hard rock, alternative and rarely old school radio mixers. My most played bands are Disturbed, system of a down, linkin park and COG. The maximum budget would be Senn HD-598 plus a amp like the E7 or preferably tube if funds allow ( but work that out after choosing phones).
I'm after clarity at low volume and not overpowering "Bass" but to sound like a drum beat, are the HD-598 for me?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
The 598 is good all-rounder that works fine unamped. If you don't need isolation, this is a good choice.

If to change my mind and go closed, what would be the alternative to the HD-598.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #9,108 of 29,490

Quote:
OKAY!!! I started a thred last night asking what people have to say about the SONY MDR XB1000 headphones. the music I listen to is almost all dubstep, techno, trance, house, hardcore, and just over all really bass heavy music. I'm thinking about buying the MDR XB1000s for about $180.00 and as an amp I'm debating between the SoundMAGIC A10 and the DigiZoid ZO2. ANY HELPFUL INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Thank you

Cheers,

Rurokenrox

Within that price point, also consider the Ultrasone HFi580 and Audio Technica Pro700mk2 for your basshead needs.

Quote:
I am looking at getting a pair of decent headphones. I would be using them on my computer/ipod (mostly computer). I game a lot and would like them to perform well for that as well. I currently have Turtle Beach HPXs and an Astro mixamp that I use, I would like something that is an upgrade and sound quality. Again this would be mostly for music and such while playing mmo's and Starcraft and some Halo as well.

I tried out the Audio Technica M50's, Shure SRH750DJ, and the Sony MDR 7506 at guitar center yesterday. I really liked the Sony headphones. The M50's were a little bass heavy for me. And the Shures were nice but I thought the clarity of the Sony headphones was better. I would prefer closed headphones but I could go open if there were really no decent closed options in my range. I am looking to spend around 120$ at the most.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great for what would perform well for me. Oh and I listen to a broad range of music from metal, pop, jpop, rap, folk. So I would assume I need a good all around headphone. Also I have had the AD700's before and didn't like the way they fit my head so I wouldn't want to go that rout again.

If you liked the 7506, go with that. You could also consider the ZX700 (aka 7510)

Quote:
Ok I'm getting a pair of headphones for christmas and wanted to get the best pair that I can.  

So I basically will use them to listen to my music from I-tunes (mp3 format).  The music being mostly Trance, Heavy Rock, and a bit of rap.  The pricing goes up to $300.  These will be my first, so I hope that they last.  They will plug in directly to my computer/laptop.  I want them to be over hear, with out any sound leaving.  I want them to be noise-isolating.  Thanks.

Senn HD380 - superb isolation, good balanced sound with a bassy tilt, folds flat and comes with a case

Quote:
Thanks for your response. They are a little over my budget.

Another factor is my ears-they are on the large size unfortunately so would the HDJ-500's or the WS55's (of which I've seen and interest me) be pointless getting as they are an on-ear type of can?

HDJ-500 is a nice can, bass heavy, fairly sturdy build quality.

Quote:
Just looking for a quick opinion before I pull the trigger, will using the 'E7 --> L7 --> AEngine M40 Headphone Output' be sufficient to power one of either the DT990 600Ω, Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701?

I think you might be better off going simply off the e7.

Quote:
Hello,

after a decade of cheap earphones, I've decided to switch to full-size headphones, at last.

I'm looking for a portable full size closed pair of headphones. I listen to a very wide array of music, from serene classical pieces to hard rock and bass heavy electro, so I understand that some trade-off has to be made. I don't mind if my headphones are a bit on the bass side.

My portable player is a venerable Cowon iAudio 7, and I don't plan to carry a portable phone amp with me. I will exclusively use these headphones outside of my home (long or short distance travel) so they have to be foldable and solid, and isolate at least moderately from the exterior.

I've been using a HD 500 since the death of my cheap earphones, it's not ideal, but it's still better than singing in my head. The biggest drawbacks are the jack adapter, which is in itself longer than my iAudio 7, and the fact that it's an open headphone, meaning there's no isolation at all. The comfort is not bad, even though they were a bit hot in August, with 30°C weather outside
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a bit new to the headphone world, I've looked at some reviews here and on InnerFidelity, and concluded that the following headphones might be worth a closer look:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. Pioneer HDJ-2000
  3. Shure SRH 840 and SRH 940

The price of these phones is within my budget, conveniently
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have any other recommendations that I may have skipped? Which one of these would best fit my use case?

Thanks.

The most balanced is probably the Shure 940, and the velour pads means it won't heat up as much. Still, I have a soft spot for the HDJ-2000.

Quote:
Sorry that i had actually requested for suggestions elsewhere in a new thread in the forum before seeing this thread.
Generally, my budget is below 50 euro and i'm using ipoh shuffle to listen to musics most of the time, and sometimes with my laptop. Aspire 4810TZ. I opt for classical, acoustic, light instrumental musics and sometimes rock and music with heavy base. I will like to have a headphones rather than a earphone because i thought that headphones can actually have some noise cancellation effect compared to earphone and the built-in feature of noise cancellation is much more costly. I hope to be able to purchase online from Ireland as i could not do the audition. Noise cancellation effect seems to be appealing if it's affordable. By the way, i'm wearing specs, so i wonder if some headphones which are tight will actually cause discomfort or not.

As i have only reviewed limit choices of headphones, there are not much options for me. I will like to exclude Sony and Beat for some personal reasons. My previous post was http://www.head-fi.org/t/578786/hd201-hd203-hd228-hd238-which-one-is-more-recommended)

I had read some comments regard Koss Porta Pro Stereo Headphones, Superlux HD668B Standard Headphones, and  Klipsch Image S4 Headphones and SennHeiserHD238.

Could anyone please comment on those headphones? As from (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-headphones/?tag=centerColumnArea1.0;buyAdvice), i saw that Klipsch Image S4 Headphones had topped that chart.

From amazon.co.uk, Superlux HD668B Standard Headphones has only 1 customer review, which i thought that it might have low popularity but from head-fi.org, it ranked the 6th position. So i was confused. Besides that, i couldnt find shop that allows audition for those headphones except SennHeiser here.

If i could not make up my mind, i might order Superlux HD668B from amazon, will that be recommended? 

Thanks lot

Thanks for any comments.

Earphones (IEMs) in general have much better isolation than headphones...

Quote:
   If to change my mind and go closed, what would be the alternative to the HD-598.

Senn HD380 is a nice all-rounder with excellent isolation.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #9,114 of 29,490
Nov 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #9,115 of 29,490
Nov 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #9,118 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for home listening only. External noise and sound leakage isn't a problem, so they can be either open or closed-back. I'm willing to spend up to 350$ on them, and i already own an ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard. Adding a ~150$ amplifier is also an option, if it will noticeably increase the sound quality. The music that I mostly listen to is at least in 320 kB MP3 quality, and a lot of it is in FLAC.

What I listen to most often (ranked from most important to somewhat less important):
Electronica and trance (from psy to vocal), stuff ranging from  ASOT to Infected Mushroom, is a definite priority. I also greatly enjoy alternative rock (let's say Muse), post rock (Mogwai, Sigur Ros), anime OSTs and japanese music in general, some movie OSTs.

What I almost never listen to:
Rap, Hip-Hop, Jazz.

Other genres that are not listed here - I listen to them from time to time, but they aren't a big priority.

Misc. information: I do not enjoy overpowering, muddy bass, but well defined and punchy bass is certainly important. Good female vocals are also a priority, as is soundstage (at least some amount of it) - if I have to sacrifice some bass for them, I'll definitely do it.

I have already spent quite some time browsing the forums, but the more I browse, the less certain I become of any choices. A list of 3-4 models that are worth checking would be greatly appreciated - any more and I'll likely will never be able to choose between them. I also suspect that my post could be summed up as "Gimme universal headphones that are good for everything", so I tried to list priorities and preferences as well as I could.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #9,120 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for home listening only. External noise and sound leakage isn't a problem, so they can be either open or closed-back. I'm willing to spend up to 350$ on them, and i already own an ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard. Adding a ~150$ amplifier is also an option, if it will noticeably increase the sound quality. The music that I mostly listen to is at least in 320 kB MP3 quality, and a lot of it is in FLAC.
What I listen to most often (ranked from most important to somewhat less important):
Electronica and trance (from psy to vocal), stuff ranging from  ASOT to Infected Mushroom, is a definite priority. I also greatly enjoy alternative rock (let's say Muse), post rock (Mogwai, Sigur Ros), anime OSTs and japanese music in general, some movie OSTs.
What I almost never listen to:
Rap, Hip-Hop, Jazz.
Other genres that are not listed here - I listen to them from time to time, but they aren't a big priority.
Misc. information: I do not enjoy overpowering, muddy bass, but well defined and punchy bass is certainly important. Good female vocals are also a priority, as is soundstage (at least some amount of it) - if I have to sacrifice some bass for them, I'll definitely do it.
I have already spent quite some time browsing the forums, but the more I browse, the less certain I become of any choices. A list of 3-4 models that are worth checking would be greatly appreciated - any more and I'll likely will never be able to choose between them. I also suspect that my post could be summed up as "Gimme universal headphones that are good for everything", so I tried to list priorities and preferences as well as I could.
Thanks in advance for any help.

You would have to spend way more then $150 (like $500 or more) for it to be worth it for a headphone amplifier that is that much better then the Essence STX.
You can improve the Essence STX for $15 worth of operational amplifiers (three LME49860NA op-amps).
All the headphones I like are under the $200 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back