++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 12, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #9,091 of 29,490
A new start-Hello,
Looking for-
Price Range-bellow 160$
Set up-MP3
I will be use it for the outside so i need compact headphones.
Music-Dubstep and metal.
I looking for good designed headphones,comfortable,a really good bass and sound.

Thank you for your help .

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #9,092 of 29,490
Hey all (again),

I think I'd also like a reasonable set of closed headphones for work (why not?). What would you suggest?

Set up: (MP3 player / Laptop / Desktop) -> Headphones
Budget: < $200
Genres: Many, rock / hip-hop /world music / classical / choral

So far I have narrowed down the field to:
  1. Shure SRH840
  2. ATH M50

I work in a noisy open plan office so blocking sound both ways is an imperative. Obviously, closed is a must. Circumaural is a must (so annoying people can see I am working!).

Suggestions are very welcome.  

Thanks for your patience and your advice!
Guy

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #9,093 of 29,490
ok, so i just ordered  Shure srh840 
biggrin.gif
should be with me in 2 weeks and will let you know !!! THANK YOU 
Quote:
The 840 was one of my favourites, but I just couldn't get it to fit comfortable on my head. If you get a chance to try it for comfort, I'd recommend that one. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #9,094 of 29,490

Quote:
   I'm a newbie getting lost in my search for some good over-ear phones, open or closed. They'll be used mostly with the Apple range of products at home listening to metal, hard rock, alternative and rarely old school radio mixers. My most played bands are Disturbed, system of a down, linkin park and COG. The maximum budget would be Senn HD-598 plus a amp like the E7 or preferably tube if funds allow ( but work that out after choosing phones).
I'm after clarity at low volume and not overpowering "Bass" but to sound like a drum beat, are the HD-598 for me?

Thanks in advance.

The 598 is good all-rounder that works fine unamped. If you don't need isolation, this is a good choice.

Quote:
A new start-Hello,
Looking for-
Price Range-bellow 160$
Set up-MP3
I will be use it for the outside so i need compact headphones.
Music-Dubstep and metal.
I looking for good designed headphones,comfortable,a really good bass and sound.

Thank you for your help .

Ultrasone HFi580/780
AKG Q460/K518

Quote:
Hey all (again),

I think I'd also like a reasonable set of closed headphones for work (why not?). What would you suggest?

Set up: (MP3 player / Laptop / Desktop) -> Headphones
Budget: < $200
Genres: Many, rock / hip-hop /world music / classical / choral

So far I have narrowed down the field to:
  1. Shure SRH840
  2. ATH M50

I work in a noisy open plan office so blocking sound both ways is an imperative. Obviously, closed is a must. Circumaural is a must (so annoying people can see I am working!).

Suggestions are very welcome.  

Thanks for your patience and your advice!
Guy

The 840 isolates better than the M50. Better yet are the Senn HD280, and the Beyer DT770 but this last one wants an amp.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #9,096 of 29,490
OKAY!!! I started a thred last night asking what people have to say about the SONY MDR XB1000 headphones. the music I listen to is almost all dubstep, techno, trance, house, hardcore, and just over all really bass heavy music. I'm thinking about buying the MDR XB1000s for about $180.00 and as an amp I'm debating between the SoundMAGIC A10 and the DigiZoid ZO2. ANY HELPFUL INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Thank you

Cheers,

Rurokenrox

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #9,098 of 29,490
I am looking at getting a pair of decent headphones. I would be using them on my computer/ipod (mostly computer). I game a lot and would like them to perform well for that as well. I currently have Turtle Beach HPXs and an Astro mixamp that I use, I would like something that is an upgrade and sound quality. Again this would be mostly for music and such while playing mmo's and Starcraft and some Halo as well.

I tried out the Audio Technica M50's, Shure SRH750DJ, and the Sony MDR 7506 at guitar center yesterday. I really liked the Sony headphones. The M50's were a little bass heavy for me. And the Shures were nice but I thought the clarity of the Sony headphones was better. I would prefer closed headphones but I could go open if there were really no decent closed options in my range. I am looking to spend around 120$ at the most.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great for what would perform well for me. Oh and I listen to a broad range of music from metal, pop, jpop, rap, folk. So I would assume I need a good all around headphone. Also I have had the AD700's before and didn't like the way they fit my head so I wouldn't want to go that rout again.

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #9,099 of 29,490
Ok I'm getting a pair of headphones for christmas and wanted to get the best pair that I can.  

So I basically will use them to listen to my music from I-tunes (mp3 format).  The music being mostly Trance, Heavy Rock, and a bit of rap.  The pricing goes up to $300.  These will be my first, so I hope that they last.  They will plug in directly to my computer/laptop.  I want them to be over hear, with out any sound leaving.  I want them to be noise-isolating.  Thanks.

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #9,100 of 29,490

Quote:
Just from the top of my head at the moment, you could try looking into a pair of Shure SRH840 headphones. They're known to be pretty decent bass/vocal headphones.

Thanks for your response. They are a little over my budget.

Another factor is my ears-they are on the large size unfortunately so would the HDJ-500's or the WS55's (of which I've seen and interest me) be pointless getting as they are an on-ear type of can?

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #9,103 of 29,490
Hello,

after a decade of cheap earphones, I've decided to switch to full-size headphones, at last.

I'm looking for a portable full size closed pair of headphones. I listen to a very wide array of music, from serene classical pieces to hard rock and bass heavy electro, so I understand that some trade-off has to be made. I don't mind if my headphones are a bit on the bass side.

My portable player is a venerable Cowon iAudio 7, and I don't plan to carry a portable phone amp with me. I will exclusively use these headphones outside of my home (long or short distance travel) so they have to be foldable and solid, and isolate at least moderately from the exterior.

I've been using a HD 500 since the death of my cheap earphones, it's not ideal, but it's still better than singing in my head. The biggest drawbacks are the jack adapter, which is in itself longer than my iAudio 7, and the fact that it's an open headphone, meaning there's no isolation at all. The comfort is not bad, even though they were a bit hot in August, with 30°C weather outside
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a bit new to the headphone world, I've looked at some reviews here and on InnerFidelity, and concluded that the following headphones might be worth a closer look:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. Pioneer HDJ-2000
  3. Shure SRH 840 and SRH 940

The price of these phones is within my budget, conveniently
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have any other recommendations that I may have skipped? Which one of these would best fit my use case?

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #9,104 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukhas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm looking for a portable full size closed pair of headphones. I listen to a very wide array of music, from serene classical pieces to hard rock and bass heavy electro, so I understand that some trade-off has to be made.

I will exclusively use these headphones outside of my home (long or short distance travel) so they have to be foldable and solid, and isolate at least moderately from the exterior.

I'm a bit new to the headphone world, I've looked at some reviews here and on InnerFidelity, and concluded that the following headphones might be worth a closer look:
  1. Shure SRH 840 and SRH 940

The SRH840's are bassier than the SRH940's, but the 940's have more forward/clear mids and highs than the 840's. For bassier music, the 940's handle EQ's quite well, so if you aren't afraid of using an EQ, a bump in the lower end works nicely for techno. The 840's might be better for rock without an EQ as well since the 940's place a slight emphasis on the upper mids, which might not be ideal for some rock tracks.

Both models are also well-built and fairly portable. I think the 840's isolate a little more noise than the 940's from my experience (probably because the 940's have velour/fabric earpads as opposed to the 840's pleather pads).

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #9,105 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for your response. They are a little over my budget.

Another factor is my ears-they are on the large size unfortunately so would the HDJ-500's or the WS55's (of which I've seen and interest me) be pointless getting as they are an on-ear type of can?

I don't have too much experience with large ears and headphones (since I have smallish ears myself), but it might decrease the noise isolation of the headphones since your ears might be larger than the earpads themselves. I personally don't have experience with those headphones, so I can't say for sure how that would affect the sound.

On second thought, if the 840's are out of your budget, you could also look into a SRH440 (which is often recommended here as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back