++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #9,061 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need some recommendations! :D

I listen to mostly Dubstep, but I also enjoy every other genre (Metal, Hip Hop, Rock, etc.), so if I had to set priorities, it'd be first and foremost deep bass, and then the mids and highs. I'm willing to spend $200, but I'd rather it be around $150~ish. 
I've been told to get the ATH M50s or the HFI 780s, but I figured I'd check here first before I made any quick hasty decision.

Any advice? Thanks :)

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #9,062 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you :) 

one more question,so what would you advise : Koss with Shure Pads, A&H or Ultrasone HFI-580 S

They're all good choices. Just pick the one that best fits your budget.

Quote:
It depends on what you're comfortable spending. Do you have an existing dac and/or amp? Or even a receiver to plug headphones into?
I don't have an existing DAC, nor amplifier. I have a custom built desktop and an ipod classic. And a pair of HD 280s, that is all.

You could consider a combo dac amp unit. Plenty of options out there depending how much you want to spend. Perhaps something by Audio-gd, or Nuforce.

Quote:
I've been looking at a few headphones; M50, XB1000, HD25, MDR-V6 etc.

It's pretty much my first real set of cans, and I'm kind of stressed out because if I get a pair I don't really like, I won't be able to afford a new pair for a while.

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy electronic music. I'm also kind of sensitive to highs.

Any suggestions?

If you like bass and hate highs, the AiAiAi TMA-1 is perfect. 

Quote:

!

Quote:
Hey fellas. With the arrival of my little boy (who is now 3) I've found I no longer use my headphone set-up. I am therefore thinking of moving it on. I used to hang out a lot on the various forums but now have no idea what my set-up is worth and what I can reasonably expect to get for it. I'd rather sell via a forum (lots of sales on the Iron Heart clothing forum and many purchases on Fleabay) than Ebay. My interests have changed so i'm looking to fund a new Mountain bike (40 recently and needing some exercise!).
Sorry if this is the wrong place to bring this up by the way but i'd appreciate the help. My set up is:

Graham Slee Solo with PSU power supply (uk plug). Slight dink on the casing but I'd rate it a 7/8 out of 10. Hardly used. Was thinking of 300 euros?
Sennheiser HD600 headphones in excellent condition. Slight amount of hair wax on the pads . Taking into account the analness of some around these forums (and I include my self here!) and the possible desire to replace the pads (60 dollars but I really don't think that'd be necessary) I thought 140 euros sounded ok?
Cardas 10ft headphone cable (mint). 100 euros?
Ecosse Maestro MA2 interconnects (mint). 130 euros?

Thanks for your help on this.
Best regards
Leon

Best bet is to do a search on the sale forums and see how much similar items have been going for recently. You'll probably also have better luck selling the components individually, although offer a combo deal and see if people go for it. 

Quote:
I have looked at the HD25-13's and would prefer them over the -1's since they definitely are more future-proof, but the issue is finding a pair. I only looked briefly at  the Shure 940's but I will take another look since you mentioned them. I have not really looked at any Ultrasones.

As far as I'm aware, the HD25-13-ii is only available in Europe. 

Quote:
#1 comfort, #2 minimal sound leakage, #3 no amplification, #4 indie pop, house, rock, #5 games

Hello all:

I am buying a pair of headphones for my 15 year old son. He will be using them, unamplified, with his iPod Touch, and with his computer. He hasn't done well in the past with any headphones that apply pressure to his head, but he doesn't like earbuds either. He is very sensitive to soreness on the ears and head, so I guess my #1 priority is comfort. He will be using them with his computer in a room where others are watching TV at a low volume level - so it would be best if the music didn't leak out of them. He listens to a wide variety of music, with lots of indie pop and house music - he has some DJ aspirations already. I'm fairly certain bass is a good thing, but he has some appreciation for fidelity.

I have up to $200 to spend. Some of the models that I've seen recommended here include:

ATH-PRO700 MK II
ATH-M50
ATH-AD700
Denon AH-D1100
Ultrasone HFI-580
             HFI-780 
Fostex T50rp
Sennheiser HD380 Pro
               HD598
               HD 25 II
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 

, but I'm not sure which are best for comfort, lack of noise leakage and his musical preferences.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Comfort is really tricky to judge for others. In general I find circumaurals more comfortable than supraaural, but they heat up more. You'll want a closed headphone for isolation as well. That brings your list down to:
ATH M50 - good all rounder, better with Shure 840 pads
ATH Pro700mk2 - DJ can, very bass heavy (aka Denon HP1000)
Denon D1100 - bassy
Ultrasone - any closed model should be fine
Fostex T50rp - not great for comfort without modding
Senn HD380 - clamps a bit hard at first but very secure and very high isolation
XD-53 - typical DJ can, good build quality

If he has some DJ aspirations, the Pro700 or XD-53 would be a good way to go.

Quote:
Don't want to go as high as 180. So I guess I'm looking at the 558s for 145 or the DT990pros for 166. I really don't want to be dissapointed in the bass, so leaning towards the Beyers. What other cans should I look at?

How will these compare to the UR40s I have? I've read that the portapros or ksc75s are bright with forward mids/highs? Still not too sure what this all means. =)

Generally "bright" refers to a sound with pronounced treble, and vice versa for "dark". 

The DT990 definitely has more bass than the 990, but more pronounced highs as well. This is typically known as a V shaped response (or sometimes "U"). 

Quote:
The XD-53 is 36-Ohms, which means it will work with any sound card, built in sound card, USB sound card, external amp, etc.

Impedance is not necessarily a measure of how well a headphone will work, but the A&H will be just fine. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #9,063 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I need some recommendations! :D

I listen to mostly Dubstep, but I also enjoy every other genre (Metal, Hip Hop, Rock, etc.), so if I had to set priorities, it'd be first and foremost deep bass, and then the mids and highs. I'm willing to spend $200, but I'd rather it be around $150~ish. 
I've been told to get the ATH M50s or the HFI 780s, but I figured I'd check here first before I made any quick hasty decision.

Any advice? Thanks :)

Going for bass, the ATH Pro700mk2 or HFi580 would be better suited. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #9,064 of 29,490

Quote:
#1 comfort, #2 minimal sound leakage, #3 no amplification, #4 indie pop, house, rock, #5 games

Hello all:

I am buying a pair of headphones for my 15 year old son. He will be using them, unamplified, with his iPod Touch, and with his computer. He hasn't done well in the past with any headphones that apply pressure to his head, but he doesn't like earbuds either. He is very sensitive to soreness on the ears and head, so I guess my #1 priority is comfort. He will be using them with his computer in a room where others are watching TV at a low volume level - so it would be best if the music didn't leak out of them. He listens to a wide variety of music, with lots of indie pop and house music - he has some DJ aspirations already. I'm fairly certain bass is a good thing, but he has some appreciation for fidelity.

I have up to $200 to spend. Some of the models that I've seen recommended here include:

ATH-PRO700 MK II
ATH-M50
ATH-AD700
Denon AH-D1100
Ultrasone HFI-580
             HFI-780 
Fostex T50rp
Sennheiser HD380 Pro
               HD598
               HD 25 II
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 

, but I'm not sure which are best for comfort, lack of noise leakage and his musical preferences.

Thanks a lot for your help!

This screams KRK KNS-8400 in my opinion.  120 on B & H last I checked. That's a steal of a price!

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #9,065 of 29,490
Thanks for the advice Armaegis but i'm not sure what forums exist anymore. HifiWigwam has changed, Pinkfishmedia doesn't seem to be the right place...where else could I find people who might be interested in my gear?

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #9,066 of 29,490
Nov 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #9,067 of 29,490
What's the Best Value in an all-around set, between $50-150?

I need advice on buying my first set of headphones.

-they will be used unamped at a PC for music/movies/games. My mp3s are high bit-rate or FLACs. MediaMonkey.
-I like 80s rock & folk mainly, some trance & classical
-doesn’t matter whether open or closed cans. (isolation from ambient noise would be nice, but soundstage and imaging are more important)
-I am 45 y/o and try to keep the volume a few clicks below optimal to avoid fatigue / conserve my hearing.
-I want something that unlocks hidden details. I want to fall in love with my collection again.

I’ve heard the Sennheiser 202s & 201s. (both @$20) The 202s are so unbalanced it quickly causes ear pain to have it loud enough to hear mids and vocals clearly. The 201s seem like a balanced, natural sounding set. I can hear mids I’ve never heard before. I thought about getting a set of 201’s for myself, but decided to investigate headphones that might unlock even more detail I never knew was there. I’m not saying I want an inaccurate or distorted reproduction, just clarity and detail.

I started out reading customer reviews on amazon and have read quite a few now. I am leaning towards the AGK K271 mkIIs.  Other sets that got great reviews, in order of price: Shure SRH-440, Grado SR-60i, Senn HD518, SRH-840, AGK K271, ATH-M50.

Also, I’m using on-board sound from an Asus mobo. Will having a discrete sound card make a big difference?

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #9,069 of 29,490
Armaegis the thing is that they all fit in my budget, but the question is if koss with shure pads will give me same quality why should i pay more for HFI-580 S or A&H,but if i get better sound then i am ready to pay for it and this is where i need your help one more time
thank you for all your advises :))))

Quote:
They're all good choices. Just pick the one that best fits your budget.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #9,070 of 29,490
I'm trying to buy some decent set for my cousin who will be spending christmass with us, something in under $100 range.
I see that amazon has Sennheiser HD 448 on sale for $55, these any good ? I need to get him something, so he won't feel left out :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DGTGO0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZJS7GAVSNQ49T6QM19K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
ir

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #9,071 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm trying to buy some decent set for my cousin who will be spending christmass with us, something in under $100 range.
I see that amazon has Sennheiser HD 448 on sale for $55, these any good ? I need to get him something, so he won't feel left out :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DGTGO0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZJS7GAVSNQ49T6QM19K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
ir

I'm a pretty big fan of the Senn 448, and it is an excellent plug and play headphone, as well as a great entry into quality audio.  I prefer my HD 448 over a lot of ~150$ sets, to be honest.  55 dollars is a great deal.

See my impressions by clicking on the link in my signature.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #9,072 of 29,490

Quote:
What's the Best Value in an all-around set, between $50-150?

I need advice on buying my first set of headphones.

-they will be used unamped at a PC for music/movies/games. My mp3s are high bit-rate or FLACs. MediaMonkey.
-I like 80s rock & folk mainly, some trance & classical
-doesn’t matter whether open or closed cans. (isolation from ambient noise would be nice, but soundstage and imaging are more important)
-I am 45 y/o and try to keep the volume a few clicks below optimal to avoid fatigue / conserve my hearing.
-I want something that unlocks hidden details. I want to fall in love with my collection again.

I’ve heard the Sennheiser 202s & 201s. (both @$20) The 202s are so unbalanced it quickly causes ear pain to have it loud enough to hear mids and vocals clearly. The 201s seem like a balanced, natural sounding set. I can hear mids I’ve never heard before. I thought about getting a set of 201’s for myself, but decided to investigate headphones that might unlock even more detail I never knew was there. I’m not saying I want an inaccurate or distorted reproduction, just clarity and detail.

I started out reading customer reviews on amazon and have read quite a few now. I am leaning towards the AGK K271 mkIIs.  Other sets that got great reviews, in order of price: Shure SRH-440, Grado SR-60i, Senn HD518, SRH-840, AGK K271, ATH-M50.

Also, I’m using on-board sound from an Asus mobo. Will having a discrete sound card make a big difference?

Don't trust most of the reviews on Amazon for headphones. Unless the review is like one from Head-fi, with lots of sound terminologies and comparisons with other headphones. Most negative reviews there are about faults and non-sound issues or not doing enough research.

I recommend Creative Aurvana Live! which is very similar to ATH-M50. ATH-M50 is better for music but CAL! is better for games and movies (people prefer CAL! to M50 for music only by a small margin) Alternatively, Fischer Audio FA-011 (which I never heard in person) is supposed to be an upgrade for $140. But it takes a while to get to you from Russia (unless from suppliers other than GD Audiobase)

I ordered a FA-006 from Frogbeats (UK) after selling the CAL! to a head-fi. I was gonna get the FA-011, but decided to try a more neutral headphone like FA-006 (lower version of FA-003, the neutral champ) I'm writing because I thought this might help you, as what you're looking for is similar to mine (in a way).

Don't know about the other phones you mentioned, except SR60i is also a great entry level but not everyone likes Grado's house sound.

As for discrete sound cards, they are great for games (CSMM-3D and EAX); some are good for music too. Most people here get dedicated DACs and amps, whilst I'm so far content with my onboard (old AC97 chip) card. I personally think if your onboard sounds good to you already, you won't improve the sound by much without paying heaps of money. Any sane audiophile would agree headphones determine the sound quality much more than source until you reach the upper tiers (i.e. beyond $200 or $300). Amps, on the other hand, are needed for power hungry headphones. CAL!, ATH-M50, SR60i, FA-006, FA-003 are not hard to drive, while FA-011 is. Sensitivity and impedance determind when (external) amps are needed or not. Some good sound cards can drive headphones up to 300ohm. 100ohm and up, or lower than 100db are generally hard to drive.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #9,074 of 29,490
Looking for Heaphones to use with my Mac...I listen mostly to Dubstep, Hip-Hop, Rock and Classic music
Budget of around 150$-200$...
Looking for a good set of closed headphones or "non-sweaty" open cans (no pleather)
I've been looking at the AKG K172HD any other suggestions?
Thank you!
Fred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back