++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 10, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #9,046 of 29,490
Thanks for the guidance MorbidToaster, Armaegis and miceblue(again...
biggrin.gif
)! Btw any opinions about the ATH AD 900 or the ATHAD700 (A or AD series)? 

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #9,047 of 29,490
So thanks to the information from this forum, I bought the Sennheiser HD558 from Amazon for 145$. I have had them for about a week now and no complaints.

But just now, I saw that Amazon has the Sennheiser HD598 on sale for 180$. So my question is if the extra 35$ is worth the price. If yes, then I can return the 558 for a full refund and then I place an order for the 598. But as of this moment I am unsure if the extra 35$ is worth the marginal improvement (if at all) that I will get. The 598 does not need an amp too right ?

What do the experienced among you say ?

regards,
Seemanta

Edit: I am in the US, so the prices are in USD. Jfyi.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #9,048 of 29,490

Quote:
If you read my first post I was gifted a WooAudio 3 which is the reason for me buying new set of cans.  I made another thread looking for a DAC though so I can use it with my PC.  Any ideas on that? lol

a gifted Woo 3... lucky man

I hear that Doc over a Bottlehead is working on a tube dac. That might be worth checking out, though I don't think it'll be ready for a while yet.

Quote:
Not looking to mod, so maybe I'll go with the Senns.
Ok, maybe I can stretch the 150 a bit to 166. which is what the Beyer DT 990 Pros are going for on B&H. Would those be much better than the HD555 or 558?

The 598 is also on sale through Amazon for $180 which is worth considering. On the other hand, the DT990 at that price is very good... but you'll want an amp.

The Senn is a more balanced sound overall, while the DT990 has a more aggressive bass and treble.

Quote:
I listen to mainly rock, from classic to prog rock to heavy and death metal. I sometimes listen to electric music like Infected Mushroom, Prodigy, The Glith Mob, Skilrex and the likes. You can find the specific bands in my profile.

What headphones would you recommend for anything below the price of a HD800? I will also budget for a proper amp to power these. Exclude anything from Grado/Alessandro as I already own an MS1 and would want something more hi-fi and refined.

See the quote above: DT990 for $166

Quote:
As an aspiring audiophile, I'm thinking about getting Sennheiser 650s. I'm also wanting the LCD-2s. Would it make more sense to get an HD 650 with good DAC and amp, or do the LCD-2's run dry better. Also, would the LCD-2s be that much better in the long run? I like their look a lot more.

It depends on what you're comfortable spending. Do you have an existing dac and/or amp? Or even a receiver to plug headphones into?

Quote:
how would Allen & Heath Xone:XD-53 Professional Monitoring go with asus xonar dg for electronic and hip hop?
or should i buy Koss PRODJ 100 and change pads with ATH-M50?
or i have 2 more options Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and Ultrasone HFI-580 S
please advise guys, i'd love to order in a next few days. THAnx !!!

The A&H should be good. I personally wasn't really a fan of the DT990, and I think the DT770 would suit you more anyways. If you're looking at the Koss w/M50 pads, get the Shure 840 pads instead which are nicer.

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance MorbidToaster, Armaegis and miceblue(again...
biggrin.gif
)! Btw any opinions about the ATH AD 900 or the ATHAD700 (A or AD series)? 

900 simply extends better on the top and bottom.

Quote:
So thanks to the information from this forum, I bought the Sennheiser HD558 from Amazon for 145$. I have had them for about a week now and no complaints.

But just now, I saw that Amazon has the Sennheiser HD598 on sale for 180$. So my question is if the extra 35$ is worth the price. If yes, then I can return the 558 for a full refund and then I place an order for the 598. But as of this moment I am unsure if the extra 35$ is worth the marginal improvement (if at all) that I will get. The 598 does not need an amp too right ?

What do the experienced among you say ?

regards,
Seemanta

Edit: I am in the US, so the prices are in USD. Jfyi.

Normally I tell people to pick a budget and stick with it... but aw heck, just do it. If nothing else, purely for the bragging rights and the intangible respect of internet strangers.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #9,049 of 29,490

Thank you :) 

one more question,so what would you advise : Koss with Shure Pads, A&H or Ultrasone HFI-580 S
Quote:
The A&H should be good. I personally wasn't really a fan of the DT990, and I think the DT770 would suit you more anyways. If you're looking at the Koss w/M50 pads, get the Shure 840 pads instead which are nicer.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #9,051 of 29,490
Quote:
ThomasH said:

As an aspiring audiophile, I'm thinking about getting Sennheiser 650s. I'm also wanting the LCD-2s. Would it make more sense to get an HD 650 with good DAC and amp, or do the LCD-2's run dry better. Also, would the LCD-2s be that much better in the long run? I like their look a lot more.

It depends on what you're comfortable spending. Do you have an existing dac and/or amp? Or even a receiver to plug headphones into?
I don't have an existing DAC, nor amplifier. I have a custom built desktop and an ipod classic. And a pair of HD 280s, that is all.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #9,052 of 29,490
I've been looking at a few headphones; M50, XB1000, HD25, MDR-V6 etc.

It's pretty much my first real set of cans, and I'm kind of stressed out because if I get a pair I don't really like, I won't be able to afford a new pair for a while.

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy electronic music. I'm also kind of sensitive to highs.

Any suggestions?

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #9,054 of 29,490
Hey fellas. With the arrival of my little boy (who is now 3) I've found I no longer use my headphone set-up. I am therefore thinking of moving it on. I used to hang out a lot on the various forums but now have no idea what my set-up is worth and what I can reasonably expect to get for it. I'd rather sell via a forum (lots of sales on the Iron Heart clothing forum and many purchases on Fleabay) than Ebay. My interests have changed so i'm looking to fund a new Mountain bike (40 recently and needing some exercise!).
Sorry if this is the wrong place to bring this up by the way but i'd appreciate the help. My set up is:

Graham Slee Solo with PSU power supply (uk plug). Slight dink on the casing but I'd rate it a 7/8 out of 10. Hardly used. Was thinking of 300 euros?
Sennheiser HD600 headphones in excellent condition. Slight amount of hair wax on the pads . Taking into account the analness of some around these forums (and I include my self here!) and the possible desire to replace the pads (60 dollars but I really don't think that'd be necessary) I thought 140 euros sounded ok?
Cardas 10ft headphone cable (mint). 100 euros?
Ecosse Maestro MA2 interconnects (mint). 130 euros?

Thanks for your help on this.
Best regards
Leon

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #9,056 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD25 is a very solid choice, and if you want something a little more future-proof consider finding a HD25-13-ii which is the 600 ohm version (yet still surprisingly loud from a portable player) and comes with a good copper cable.

Have you looked at the Shure 940 or any of the Ultrasones? They have detacheable cables and velour pads, and are somewhat portable.

I have looked at the HD25-13's and would prefer them over the -1's since they definitely are more future-proof, but the issue is finding a pair. I only looked briefly at  the Shure 940's but I will take another look since you mentioned them. I have not really looked at any Ultrasones.

Hello,

I am looking for a good pair of circumaural headphones to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD202's. I am not an audiophile or anything, but I do understand some of the limitations of the HD202's quality-wise and that they do add a bit of bass to music. As far as my headphone experience goes they have been my primaries for years and while I have used other headphones I have not used any headphones as extensively and consistently, so any comparisons/recommendations to other headphones should keep that in mind when discussing sound. Also I know I should be willing to test the waters and be willing to deal with returns and whatnot, but I am saving to build a gaming rig and if any of you are into pc gaming you know its not a cheap endeavor when you are trying to futurproof,Overclock, run SLI/Crossfire and watercool as well. I am thinking about money on Headphones or a Raid 1 external enclosure setup now since I am waiting to see the performance and price on 32nm gpus and ivybridge processors next year and  so I have some cash to spend in the interim. Now back to why we are here.

Overall though in response to what some may think about the HD202's, I paid $20 for them new and I was/am pleased with the quality-to-price ratio of the headphones. I was looking  for an overall upgrade but with a few guidelines that have made the choice somewhat hard and I have been scouring this site and others looking for ideas and came across a few but they didn't quite fit what I wanted before spending more money on even a test purchase considering the price range im probably going to land in on a choice.

-Replaceable cable is a must and its not negotiable unless you recommend a headphone with a literally indestructible cable

-Changeable ear pads would be nice (I prefer the velour pads over the fake leather) but not a deal breaker since I have and still am using the HD202's fake leather pads atm.

-price anywhere up to around $300 on the high end but must see recommendations can be up to around $350(but would have to be extremely well presented and verifyable)

-Capable of good sound reproduction mainly for Rock(most subgenres from Avenged 7X to Old Linkin Park to Thrice to Lifehouse) but capable in all genres of music especially classical and orchestral

-closed(since I will be traveling with them and dont want to be a ****** making people listen to my music) with decent isolation since I also use my headphones as earplugs from time to time.

-portable-ish as in I walk around on a regular basis with my HD202's around my neck without major complaint, some irritation at times performing certain tasks(when they are around my neck not on my head) but overall fine.( Something like the Sony MDR-XB1000's would be way too big and the MDR- XB700 would still be a bit too big because of the circular shape and padding and the Senn HD595 and 555 type shape would probably be fine.

-usable straight from ipod 3.5mm audio jack. I do plan on buying a Line-out connecter and a portable amp. Probably a Fiio E5 or E6 or whatever I find works best after researching what works best with the headphones I decide on. The ipod thing is just a fyi about what I use not an upper limit at all.

-I would very much like single entry over dual entry since that is my largest complaint about the HD202 design wise aside from the fixed cable design(Its $20 pair of headphones so the cable thing doesnt count) but I could live with dual entry so dont let it stop you from recommending something good.

I was seriously looking at the Senn HD-25-1 II's. One because of its favorable price and info I found on headfi, but I dont know how I would feel about its more flat response compared to the HD-202s and the fact its supra-aural and not circumaural and that I may or may not have to replace and mod a new copper cable to replace the stock steel one depending on how I felt about the sound. I have heard they do not cover as wide a genre gamut as the HD202's also so if you can shine some light on that I would appreciate it. I also researched the Sony MDR-V6's,  Audio Technica ATH M50, Panasonic HTF600's, yet none of them scaled up well price wise and because of my hard requirement of having a replaceable cable. In case you were wondering I am slightly partial to Senns since my HD202 have been my babies for a long while but I am open minded when it comes to choices as long as they sound pretty and fit what I required.

Well this post is somewhat long but I wanted to be thorough to facilitate getting right down to it.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #9,057 of 29,490
#1 comfort, #2 minimal sound leakage, #3 no amplification, #4 indie pop, house, rock, #5 games

Hello all:

I am buying a pair of headphones for my 15 year old son. He will be using them, unamplified, with his iPod Touch, and with his computer. He hasn't done well in the past with any headphones that apply pressure to his head, but he doesn't like earbuds either. He is very sensitive to soreness on the ears and head, so I guess my #1 priority is comfort. He will be using them with his computer in a room where others are watching TV at a low volume level - so it would be best if the music didn't leak out of them. He listens to a wide variety of music, with lots of indie pop and house music - he has some DJ aspirations already. I'm fairly certain bass is a good thing, but he has some appreciation for fidelity.

I have up to $200 to spend. Some of the models that I've seen recommended here include:

ATH-PRO700 MK II
ATH-M50
ATH-AD700
Denon AH-D1100
Ultrasone HFI-580
             HFI-780 
Fostex T50rp
Sennheiser HD380 Pro
               HD598
               HD 25 II
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 

, but I'm not sure which are best for comfort, lack of noise leakage and his musical preferences.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #9,059 of 29,490
Quote:

The 598 is also on sale through Amazon for $180 which is worth considering. On the other hand, the DT990 at that price is very good... but you'll want an amp.

The Senn is a more balanced sound overall, while the DT990 has a more aggressive bass and treble.

Don't want to go as high as 180. So I guess I'm looking at the 558s for 145 or the DT990pros for 166. I really don't want to be dissapointed in the bass, so leaning towards the Beyers. What other cans should I look at?

How will these compare to the UR40s I have? I've read that the portapros or ksc75s are bright with forward mids/highs? Still not too sure what this all means. =)

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #9,060 of 29,490

Quote:
how would Allen & Heath Xone:XD-53 Professional Monitoring go with asus xonar dg for electronic and hip hop?
or should i buy Koss PRODJ 100 and change pads with ATH-M50?
or i have 2 more options Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and Ultrasone HFI-580 S
please advise guys, i'd love to order in a next few days. THAnx !!!

The XD-53 is 36-Ohms, which means it will work with any sound card, built in sound card, USB sound card, external amp, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back