++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #9,122 of 29,490
Friendly greetings!

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Sony MDR-V900s (non-HD). I'd characterize those as having a darker, warmer signature with plenty of low-to-mid bass. I first tried MDR-V900HDs, which I was surprised to find too bright, and not enough bass — the change in sound signature shocked me. Then, I moved onto Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which are famed here. I found their sound very clear and crisp with satisfying sub-bass and I did notice how muddy the MDR-V900s are in comparison, but again, I thought the ATH-M50s are too bright in the treble range. I may keep the ATH-M50 as a dual reference source. Nonetheless, I'm also finding them uncomfortable compared to the V900 for extended wear over hours. I have hyperacusis which makes shrill trebles very uncomfortable for me so even a steeper-than-usual rolloff towards the high end would be appreciated. And yes, I put a lot of emphasis on rockin' bass!

I've read numerous threads here and elsewhere and with my personal context, am wondering if anyone has any closer recommendations to the V900? I intend to use these successor-cans for making and mixing music, and enjoying sound coming out of my computer (via a Zoom H4n as an audio interface). Also, connecting to my iPod, so low impedance is a plus too. I'm considering the possibility of finding replacement MDR-V900s as noted in this thread, but given their scarcity, perhaps it's better for me to upgrade... if I could find something similar yet better!

Specifically, I'm wondering: are the MDR-XB700 comparable, for anyone who's used both it and the original MDR-V900? They look like they'd give the bass I'm looking for.

Thanks awesomely in advance.

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #9,124 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello

I'm looking into getting a pair of wireless headphone that reproduces 5.1 - 7.1 and compatible with PS3. Mostly for Movies and Gaming.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

have you checked the big gaming thread linked at the beginning of this thread?

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for home listening only. External noise and sound leakage isn't a problem, so they can be either open or closed-back. I'm willing to spend up to 350$ on them, and i already own an ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard. Adding a ~150$ amplifier is also an option, if it will noticeably increase the sound quality. The music that I mostly listen to is at least in 320 kB MP3 quality, and a lot of it is in FLAC.

What I listen to most often (ranked from most important to somewhat less important):
Electronica and trance (from psy to vocal), stuff ranging from  ASOT to Infected Mushroom, is a definite priority. I also greatly enjoy alternative rock (let's say Muse), post rock (Mogwai, Sigur Ros), anime OSTs and japanese music in general, some movie OSTs.

What I almost never listen to:
Rap, Hip-Hop, Jazz.

Other genres that are not listed here - I listen to them from time to time, but they aren't a big priority.

Misc. information: I do not enjoy overpowering, muddy bass, but well defined and punchy bass is certainly important. Good female vocals are also a priority, as is soundstage (at least some amount of it) - if I have to sacrifice some bass for them, I'll definitely do it.

I have already spent quite some time browsing the forums, but the more I browse, the less certain I become of any choices. A list of 3-4 models that are worth checking would be greatly appreciated - any more and I'll likely will never be able to choose between them. I also suspect that my post could be summed up as "Gimme universal headphones that are good for everything", so I tried to list priorities and preferences as well as I could.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You sound card should have plenty of grunt for most headphones. A few headphones to consider:
Beyer DT880
Beyer DT990
Senn HD600/650
Denon D2000

Quote:
I cannot decide between the House of Marley Revolution, the Numark Redwave, or the Skullcandy G.I.

Thoughts?

I haven't heard of any of these. Have you done much reading on the forums? Is there a reasone you're choosing between those ones?

Quote:
Will be contemplating these, what about the m50's?

I personally would pick the HD380 over the M50. The M50 has a punchier bass end, but the mids feels a little recessed in comparison. The HD380 has nicer mids and an overall warmer (midbass) tonality and significantly better isolation.

Quote:
Friendly greetings!

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Sony MDR-V900s (non-HD). I'd characterize those as having a darker, warmer signature with plenty of low-to-mid bass. I first tried MDR-V900HDs, which I was surprised to find too bright, and not enough bass — the change in sound signature shocked me. Then, I moved onto Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which are famed here. I found their sound very clear and crisp with satisfying sub-bass and I did notice how muddy the MDR-V900s are in comparison, but again, I thought the ATH-M50s are too bright in the treble range. I may keep the ATH-M50 as a dual reference source. Nonetheless, I'm also finding them uncomfortable compared to the V900 for extended wear over hours. I have hyperacusis which makes shrill trebles very uncomfortable for me so even a steeper-than-usual rolloff towards the high end would be appreciated. And yes, I put a lot of emphasis on rockin' bass!

I've read numerous threads here and elsewhere and with my personal context, am wondering if anyone has any closer recommendations to the V900? I intend to use these successor-cans for making and mixing music, and enjoying sound coming out of my computer (via a Zoom H4n as an audio interface). Also, connecting to my iPod, so low impedance is a plus too. I'm considering the possibility of finding replacement MDR-V900s as noted in this thread, but given their scarcity, perhaps it's better for me to upgrade... if I could find something similar yet better!

Specifically, I'm wondering: are the MDR-XB700 comparable, for anyone who's used both it and the original MDR-V900? They look like they'd give the bass I'm looking for.

Thanks awesomely in advance.

The Phiaton MS300/400/PS500 and the TMA-1 have rolled off trebles and good low end kick.

Quote:

[size=1.7em] Will anyone recommend me Klipsch Image S4, for the price of around 40 euro. Or is there any better options?[/size]

What's the regular price like over there?

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #9,125 of 29,490
Looking for a for a pair of headphones (open/closed doesn't matter to me) around $100, no more than $120. I will play off of a sansa fuze with mostly 320kbps files, some .wav and flac and I do not have any amps. I listen to almost exclusively hip hop, so bass is important. What I'm really looking at right now is the KRK KNS 8400, but I'm afraid it may not be that great for hip hop (bass-wise, and liveliness). Any other recomendations or views on  the 8400's for hip hop are appreciated.

edit: other models I'm looking at are...
srh840
M50
AT WS70
grado 60/80

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #9,126 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for a for a pair of headphones (open/closed doesn't matter to me) around $100, no more than $120. I will play off of a sansa fuze with mostly 320kbps files, some .wav and flac and I do not have any amps. I listen to almost exclusively hip hop, so bass is important. What I'm really looking at right now is the KRK KNS 8400, but I'm afraid it may not be that great for hip hop (bass-wise, and liveliness). Any other recomendations or views on  the 8400's for hip hop are appreciated.

edit: other models I'm looking at are...
srh840
M50
AT WS70
grado 60/80

XB700 would fit your needs. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #9,128 of 29,490
   Sorry, I'm back again with the same question but with a lower budget after the wife found out what I was going to spend.
   What over ear phones, open or closed, for heavy metal, rock and alternative from a iMac or Pod. I'm after low volume clarity with "bass" that sounds like the drum that made it and can keep up with a fast beat. My new budget allows phones like SR80i, MS1, AD700, SRH750 and HD380, other suggestions welcome. I do plan on a amp but not straight away.
Thanks again in advance.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #9,129 of 29,490
SR-80i or MS1.  The MS1 is a bit more balanced IMO.

Quote:
   Sorry, I'm back again with the same question but with a lower budget after the wife found out what I was going to spend.
   What over ear phones, open or closed, for heavy metal, rock and alternative from a iMac or Pod. I'm after low volume clarity with "bass" that sounds like the drum that made it and can keep up with a fast beat. My new budget allows phones like SR80i, MS1, AD700, SRH750 and HD380, other suggestions welcome. I do plan on a amp but not straight away.
Thanks again in advance.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #9,130 of 29,490
Why would the XB700 need an amp? They get way too loud for me out of just my iPhone. They are large, but I use mine as portable. 

They best the M50, IMO. They're much more fun than either of them but the 840 will be more balanced and clear. The entire XB series is really just about fun more than anything else. They aren't hi-fi, and they aren't super clear but when you put them on it doesn't matter.

Quote:
How do they compete with the srh840's or m50s in SQ? they also look a little large...
edit: also it seems they would also require an amp for full performance, which i would prefer to not need

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #9,133 of 29,490
Apparently i'm an idiot who didn't notice this thread. C/P from my other thread:
Pretty straight-forward, looking for entry-budget (up to around 75$) headphones. Top choices so far are:
Sennheiser HD 215-II, Sennheiser HD 439, Sennheiser HD 429, Beyerdynamic 235. Should i push a bit and get the Grado SR60i's?
I listen to literally any genre, ranging from all jazz, trip top to techno, rock (industrial, alternative, progressive, "indie"), some classical'ish acts, etc.

Specifically i want to know if the BD 235's or the HD 439's come close enough to the Grado's (or any other phone for that matter, but some are more difficult for me to actually purchase than others).

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #9,134 of 29,490
Has anyone here ever opened up an Ultrasone HFi450? Specifically, I want to know if the drivers are easy to remove. Extra brownie points if you happen to have pictures.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #9,135 of 29,490
Tell me,what should i choose ?
Audio technica ATH PRO700 MK2 or Denon AH-D1100 or Audio Technica ATH-WS55 or Pioneer HDJ-500 ?
Not all in the same price range...

WS55 cost 100$
ATH PRO700 MK2-cost 190$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back