++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #8,476 of 29,490
So I'm new to here, but I was listening to music while working and my right speaker in my Bose Around Ear headphones just went out... I am thinking it was caused by a messed up cord. I absolutely loved these headphones and have had them for about 2 years, but am looking at new things because it sounds like they are not the top of the line from reading here...But anyways, I am back on the market looking for some new headphones to buy and needed some guidance. A little about what I am looking for... Being an architecture student, I am constantly working in studio, and need something that has a good amount of noise-canceling. Musically I listen to just about every genre possible, the most of the music is Underground Hip Hip/Rap, but I also listen to an equal amount of Alternative and Indie Rock, Reggae, and acoustic (like Jack Johnson), with the ocasional dubstep (I love a little bass)... Lastly, I am looking for a pair of headphones that are around the same sleekness as the Bose Around Ear, and not as clunky as some of the headphones I see, and an iPod control (3 buttons) on the cord would be awesome. I am willing to spend around $150 or so...? (I will be listening directly from an iPod or my MacBook, no amp)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #8,477 of 29,490

Quote:
I would like to spend $200 maybe $250 if its worth it on a pair of over ear closed headphones. I mainly listen to rock. I will be playing them out of an ipod with no external amp. They need to be comfortable (will be wearing them 4+ hours sometimes). I have been looking at the ath m50, beyerdynamic dt 770, ultrasone hfi 780, akg k271 mii, and shure srh 840. I am open to other suggestions besides the cans that i listed. Thanks for all help!!!!

put this on the new page

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #8,478 of 29,490
HD 25-1 II, AIAIAI TMA-1, MS400, Pro 750. Just a few suggestions. 

Quote:
Accidentally made a new thread then saw this one, I'll copy and paste what I wrote

Things I'm looking for:

- closed & noise cancelling, don't want anyone to hear me, vice versa.
- price range: anything up to a max of about $280.

These are going to be STRICTLY for music, I listen to dubstep/rap/pop/indie/rock/some screamo.
I want something really bassy.

Any recommendations? Thank you! c:

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8,479 of 29,490

Quote:
Books? None of us read. Were too busy listening to our music.
biggrin.gif

Heh, there are some pretty smart people on this forum imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #8,480 of 29,490
Hi guys/gals.  I've frequented this site whenever I get the headphone/audiophile itch and used it to purchase the M50 some time ago. 

However recently I've been wanting to get a headphone for exclusively gaming purposes and I'm not using the M50 because I found out that my head starts to hurt after a while because of the bass response (you know with all the explosions thumping against my head).

So I was wondering if the people here had any recommendations?

I am looking for excellent positional accuracy (is that soundstage?).  I wouldn't mind having bass, but just not so much as the M50.
My price range is preferably somewhere up to $200 USD, but on the off chance I would be willing to go up near $300 USD.

Right now I've heard a lot about and am trying out the PC360 and the AD700, but I won't be making a choice between them until I receive my amp in the next few days.

Are these the two end all be all of gaming headphones or are there more recommendations that meet my requirements?

The microphone on the PC360 is turning me off a bit because of the static that it gets, but I don't know if that's because it's more sensitive or just worse than a stand alone logitech mic that I'm using.

Thanks for any help.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #8,481 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys.

I currently have a portable set up of a shure SE535 and a RSA predator, and for home use i have a meier concerto with a FA-003. I was thinking of getting a flagship headphone, but currently i'm having so much difficulty in choosing! I was initially tempted by the LCD-2 (i come from the military, so compared to the helmets we wear, the 400odd gram headphones are a child's play) but i've been searching around and it seems like there are a lot of workmanship problems with them. Should i still go for them? Or are there better flagships like the T1's. HD800's. HE-6? I don't really listen to a specific genre, but listen to a wide wide range...

thank you!

Wait a few months and there's the new flagship LCD-3 coming out...

Quote:
of course u can power them from ur phone they have a low imdependence

Though I would like to clarify that impedance is not the only factor. Sensitivity also plays a large role.

Quote:
I would like to spend $200 maybe $250 if its worth it on a pair of over ear closed headphones. I mainly listen to rock. I will be playing them out of an ipod with no external amp. They need to be comfortable (will be wearing them 4+ hours sometimes). I have been looking at the ath m50, beyerdynamic dt 770, ultrasone hfi 780, akg k271 mii, and shure srh 840. I am open to other suggestions besides the cans that i listed. Thanks for all help!!!!

Are these for home or portable or office?

DT770: too bassy, not enough top end, also needs an amp
K271: also doesn't sound that great without an amp
M50: good low and high end, mids slightly withdrawn
840: bass sloped, I prefer this to M50 but tastes will vary
HFi780: even balanced sound, S-Logic

Of the choices listed, my vote goes to the Ultrasone.

Quote:
Accidentally made a new thread then saw this one, I'll copy and paste what I wrote

Things I'm looking for:

- closed & noise cancelling, don't want anyone to hear me, vice versa.
- price range: anything up to a max of about $280.

These are going to be STRICTLY for music, I listen to dubstep/rap/pop/indie/rock/some screamo.
I want something really bassy.

Any recommendations? Thank you! c:

Beyerdynamic DT770pro - very bassy and superb isolation, can be found under $200, spend the rest on a small amp to power them.

Quote:
So I'm new to here, but I was listening to music while working and my right speaker in my Bose Around Ear headphones just went out... I am thinking it was caused by a messed up cord. I absolutely loved these headphones and have had them for about 2 years, but am looking at new things because it sounds like they are not the top of the line from reading here...But anyways, I am back on the market looking for some new headphones to buy and needed some guidance. A little about what I am looking for... Being an architecture student, I am constantly working in studio, and need something that has a good amount of noise-canceling. Musically I listen to just about every genre possible, the most of the music is Underground Hip Hip/Rap, but I also listen to an equal amount of Alternative and Indie Rock, Reggae, and acoustic (like Jack Johnson), with the ocasional dubstep (I love a little bass)... Lastly, I am looking for a pair of headphones that are around the same sleekness as the Bose Around Ear, and not as clunky as some of the headphones I see, and an iPod control (3 buttons) on the cord would be awesome. I am willing to spend around $150 or so...? (I will be listening directly from an iPod or my MacBook, no amp)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hmm, I can't really think of anything that meets all those criteria...

good isolation on a budget: Senn 280, Shure 840, Sony V6

If you don't mind something smaller, maybe the Senn PX200-IIi ? It also has ipod controls.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #8,482 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys/gals.  I've frequented this site whenever I get the headphone/audiophile itch and used it to purchase the M50 some time ago. 

However recently I've been wanting to get a headphone for exclusively gaming purposes and I'm not using the M50 because I found out that my head starts to hurt after a while because of the bass response (you know with all the explosions thumping against my head).

So I was wondering if the people here had any recommendations?

I am looking for excellent positional accuracy (is that soundstage?).  I wouldn't mind having bass, but just not so much as the M50.
My price range is preferably somewhere up to $200 USD, but on the off chance I would be willing to go up near $300 USD.

Right now I've heard a lot about and am trying out the PC360 and the AD700, but I won't be making a choice between them until I receive my amp in the next few days.

Are these the two end all be all of gaming headphones or are there more recommendations that meet my requirements?

The microphone on the PC360 is turning me off a bit because of the static that it gets, but I don't know if that's because it's more sensitive or just worse than a stand alone logitech mic that I'm using.

Thanks for any help.

Without the mic, there's the Senn HD555/595/558/598. If you're considering the AD700, with a higher budget also strongly consider the AD900.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #8,487 of 29,490
Hey guys it's me again.  I was looking around at the AD900 and the HD598, but then I found this

http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p4509/Sennheiser-HD600-HD-600-bstock-Hi-Fi-Professional-Headphones/product_info.html

Is this for real?  Even with shipping it costs less than the HD598 and on par with the AD900 compared to other sellers (like amazon).

EDIT - It seems that this place doesn't have many good reviews along with claims of fraudulent charges.  If that's the case I'd probably just pay the premium on known internet sellers for ease of mind.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #8,488 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys it's me again.  I was looking around at the AD900 and the HD598, but then I found this

http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p4509/Sennheiser-HD600-HD-600-bstock-Hi-Fi-Professional-Headphones/product_info.html

Is this for real?  Even with shipping it costs less than the HD598 and on par with the AD900 compared to other sellers (like amazon).

They're refurbished and apparently being phased out, which probably helps explain the price.  Dakmart is an authorized dealer according to Sennheiser's site.  Looks like a good deal to me.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #8,489 of 29,490

Quote:
They're refurbished and apparently being phased out, which probably helps explain the price.  Dakmart is an authorized dealer according to Sennheiser's site.  Looks like a good deal to me.

I agree. If I had the spare coin, I'd be on them myself.  They'll need an amp for best results.
Are you sure they're being phased out?  I've heard rumors about that for months, but there seems to be conflicting reports and nothing definitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back