++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,461 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm new here and looking to drop $30 USD (amazon gift credit) on a good pair of headphones that could replace or compliment my HD-202s. I tend to buy used so anything goes.

My typical music tastes: rock, alternative, pop, ska, techno, house

Headphones I currently have:

1. Sennheiser HD 202 (my current main headphones)
  2. JVC HA-FX67B (Falls out of ear during jogging)
  3. Koss Sparkplug (good, but annoying to put in ears)

I'm looking into over-the-ear headphones.  I typically like closed headphones, but sound fidelity and comfort take higher priority.  I want something that is comfy, aesthetically pleasing, and plays well with the above genres.  I might also use the new headphones for TV and movies. I'm currently open to suggestion, but these seem to have caught my attention.

1. Panasonic RP-HTX7 (The classy retro look is catchy)
  2. Koss PortaPro

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* I happened to find a lot of people raving about Koss KSC75 and might look into them too.

While you're at it, check this thread out too. People are crazy about this headphone right now because it's approximately $30 but competes with headphones 5x the price. Only thing is they're half open, so it may not be best to use it portably because sound will leak in/out. 

If you're looking for something closed however, the HTX7s are a good choice.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #8,462 of 29,490
Okay, might be better in one of the Fischer threads but since I'm covering a few 'phones, I'll give it a go here :)

If I've missed something in the search, point me to the post(s), it's impossible to cover everything on this.

I've been considering either Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT100/150/250. I'm after broadly neutral and wanted this from the closed 'phones, or a slightly sweet sound (think a softening in female vocals) from the HD650.

It seems that Fischer may provide an interesting (and hopefully cheaper!) alternative. As far as I can make out:
FA-003 neutral,    FA-002 not quite as good,   FA-002W slightly better than FA-003,    FA-004 emphasized bass and treble,    FA-011 sound signature similar to HD650,    FA-006 ??

Given the price differential, although the FA-011 is being compared to the HD650, surely the FA-003 is superior but has a different signature? How does the FA-006 fit in?

In terms of which signature to go for, I think it comes down to how well the Fischer alternatives compare to the respective Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic 'phones (above). I'd really welcome thoughts on the latter as I've not seen anything yet. My understanding is that the DT150 is the most neutral of the three.

The only UK outlet I've found is frogbeats. I'd welcome thoughts on the price-value ratio based on their prices.

So, can some one clarify the FA range and comparisons? Cheers.

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8,463 of 29,490
Can you guys recommend me some good in ear headphones? I'm also considering buying those since I havent made a desicion yet. I never wore in ear headphones so I dont know if that will be a problem? price range is around 50-100 euros and I like a deep bass and I mainly listen to electro house. Thanks :)

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #8,464 of 29,490

Klipsch S4. Deep, impactful bass right around your budget. I listen to mainly EDM as well and loved mine. They only get bette with a good amp like the Arrow, too.

Also check out the IEM shootout threads. Tons of good info there.

Quote:
Can you guys recommend me some good in ear headphones? I'm also considering buying those since I havent made a desicion yet. I never wore in ear headphones so I dont know if that will be a problem? price range is around 50-100 euros and I like a deep bass and I mainly listen to electro house. Thanks :)

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #8,465 of 29,490

Quote:
but i heard that the K701 sounds not too focus and too dry?

Everyone hears things different... but the K701 is generally on the slightly bass neutral and analytical sounding side of things.

Quote:
I always listen music at school, in the bus at home and with my digital piano.
The kind of music that I listen to is mainly electro house (also with vocals), progressive  and deadmau5 stuff. also a little bit of dubstep. As I said I also want a good piano sound for when i'm playing on my digital piano. I listen my music on an android device which I always use as mp3 player.

So my friend has Dr Dre Beats solo headphones and he let me listen to them. I was completely blown away, was like heaven for my ears. Awesome sound. So I want to listen music like that. Also it kind of blocked the outside noise which was awesome. I dont want stuff with battery just passive noise cancel (I believe thats what its called?) if thats possible.

With that said my first question is should I go for in ear or on ear. I want to be able to wear the headphones for about 2 hours without discomfort... Also I'll be using headphones in public quite often so if its on ear I want some good looking headphones (not too big, I dont like that. More like beats solo style). If its in ear the looks dont really matter I guess. I want audio comparable to the beats solo, cause it sound amazing! and noice cancelling. I also want a travel case (ill be taking them with me alot) and a firm cable. I want to be able to separate the cable from the headphones itself and I rather not have a plastic look.

I know i'm kind of comparing everything to the beats solo now but thats because its the only headphones I listened to besides my crappy earplugs. 
So I can simply buy the beats but I read that they are quite overpriced and I want to make a good choice. I dont want to pay alot of money just for the brand cause I dont care about brands, I care about looks and quality. Thats why I also want to consider other headphones apart from the solos. My price range is about  70-100 euros (netherlands). If its really awesome sound and good looking im willing to pay more. I prefer to buy my stuff in local stores too.

So with this information can you guys recommend me some good headphones? should I just buy beats? are there equal cheaper ones?
I did some search and I found the AKG k450 for about 80 euros. maybe thats a better option for me?

Thanks in advance

regards,

The K450 or K81/518 should be good. 

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking to buy some headphones primarily for films and games. I want them to have a very wide soundstage for surround sound in Dolby headphone. I had originally been recommended the ad700s, but the reports of poor bass have put me off that option.

What would be a good choice for up to c.£150?

Ideally, they would also have decent performance for music (rock/pop/classical), though I can see the classical might be difficult to find in game/film headphones.

I had also considered the sennheiser rs 170s. Going wireless is attractive, but Im not willing to sacrifice sound quality for it if there is better to be had at the same price. 

Bear in mind that these will be my first decent headphones and my perception is that this is a good sort of price range to start in- ill probably get better ones in a year or so, but I'd like the best possible to grow into in the mean time. 

Thanks!

The AD900 would offer better bass extension compared to the AD700. 

Quote:
I'm new here and looking to drop $30 USD (amazon gift credit) on a good pair of headphones that could replace or compliment my HD-202s. I tend to buy used so anything goes.

My typical music tastes: rock, alternative, pop, ska, techno, house

Headphones I currently have:

1. Sennheiser HD 202 (my current main headphones)
  2. JVC HA-FX67B (Falls out of ear during jogging)
  3. Koss Sparkplug (good, but annoying to put in ears)

I'm looking into over-the-ear headphones.  I typically like closed headphones, but sound fidelity and comfort take higher priority.  I want something that is comfy, aesthetically pleasing, and plays well with the above genres.  I might also use the new headphones for TV and movies. I'm currently open to suggestion, but these seem to have caught my attention.

1. Panasonic RP-HTX7 (The classy retro look is catchy)
  2. Koss PortaPro

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* I happened to find a lot of people raving about Koss KSC75 and might look into them too.

With isolation, the Panasonic is the best choice of the bunch listed.

Quote:

Take a look at Joker's massive IEM thread. There's a link in the first post of this thread.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #8,466 of 29,490

Quote:
I think I can't get my hands on an ES7 here. Also I want really good sound so if you saying they are 'okay' im starting to think that its not quite amazing sound.

Quote:

I think the XB's are too cheap, I want a good quality headphone. also I find the on-ears too big but thanks for the reply :)

I'm not a skullcandy fan either. I dont need al the facy stuff just a nice slick looking headphone which is not too small and I dont want it to go over my ears just on them if you know what I mean :)

Hmm the PX360 is interesting, I'm just afraid its a bit too big. I'll see if I can get my hands on one in my area. Also interesting review thanks for that.

So are the beats really that bad? I was blown away by the sound! maybe im outdated? hehehe

too cheap? then i suggest the hd 800 or the beyerdynamic t 1 they are nice and expensive :D the " cheap headphones" provide a better sound without bankrupting you so you can save momey on another headphone once you have outgrown the boomy bass of the beats or the sonys

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #8,467 of 29,490
Hi guys.

I currently have a portable set up of a shure SE535 and a RSA predator, and for home use i have a meier concerto with a FA-003. I was thinking of getting a flagship headphone, but currently i'm having so much difficulty in choosing! I was initially tempted by the LCD-2 (i come from the military, so compared to the helmets we wear, the 400odd gram headphones are a child's play) but i've been searching around and it seems like there are a lot of workmanship problems with them. Should i still go for them? Or are there better flagships like the T1's. HD800's. HE-6? I don't really listen to a specific genre, but listen to a wide wide range...

thank you!

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #8,468 of 29,490
I think im going for in ear headphone.
My choice will most likely be between the Klipsch S4 and Etymotic MC5
I dont have an amp or something though, just plug it in to my android phone and listen
what will be my best choice? I like a good bass but I also want good quality on the mids

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #8,470 of 29,490
The LCD 2 has been a lot more consistent lately. I bought the Rev 2 recently and have had no issues. They just had to get the process down.

As far as it goes most of the top tier cans are good all rounder, but what are you using to power them? That might knock some of them off the table right away.

Quote:
Hi guys.

I currently have a portable set up of a shure SE535 and a RSA predator, and for home use i have a meier concerto with a FA-003. I was thinking of getting a flagship headphone, but currently i'm having so much difficulty in choosing! I was initially tempted by the LCD-2 (i come from the military, so compared to the helmets we wear, the 400odd gram headphones are a child's play) but i've been searching around and it seems like there are a lot of workmanship problems with them. Should i still go for them? Or are there better flagships like the T1's. HD800's. HE-6? I don't really listen to a specific genre, but listen to a wide wide range...

thank you!

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #8,471 of 29,490
Ah, i was hoping to run them off my meier audio concerto, and move my FA-003 towards portable 'study in library' use, because i just don't like IEMS for long periods. So i'll run the FA-003 off my RSA predator and my flagship off my concerto... Yep

Quote:
The LCD 2 has been a lot more consistent lately. I bought the Rev 2 recently and have had no issues. They just had to get the process down.

As far as it goes most of the top tier cans are good all rounder, but what are you using to power them? That might knock some of them off the table right away. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #8,472 of 29,490
I would like to spend $200 maybe $250 if its worth it on a pair of over ear closed headphones. I mainly listen to rock. I will be playing them out of an ipod with no external amp. They need to be comfortable (will be wearing them 4+ hours sometimes). I have been looking at the ath m50, beyerdynamic dt 770, ultrasone hfi 780, akg k271 mii, and shure srh 840. I am open to other suggestions besides the cans that i listed. Thanks for all help!!!!

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #8,475 of 29,490
Accidentally made a new thread then saw this one, I'll copy and paste what I wrote

Things I'm looking for:

- closed & noise cancelling, don't want anyone to hear me, vice versa.
- price range: anything up to a max of about $280.

These are going to be STRICTLY for music, I listen to dubstep/rap/pop/indie/rock/some screamo.
I want something really bassy.

Any recommendations? Thank you! c:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back