++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #8,087 of 29,490
The 598 and 600 are very different from each other. They're both excellent headphones for the price, but most people will tell you the 600 requires an amp where as the 598 does not. 

The 598 has a more lively sound. Good (but in line) bass, amazing mids (its strength), and nice highs. Sound stage on the 598 can't be beat in its price category. The 600 has a more laid back sound...More bass, and just a warmer sound in general. Sound stage isn't as nice as the 598, but not bad by any means.

Either one is a good buy if you're okay with them being open. 

Quote:
I just like the smell of new products... but if that's the case then yea I'll go for it.

Edit: If used is a nice way to get some good gear, would the hd 600 be a better choice?

I mean it's like 60 bucks to get  a referb. model compared from 170 -> 230 (and I mean I will pay the extra if it's worth it).

Damnit you're getting me excited
atsmile.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #8,088 of 29,490
Has anyone heard both the Sony EX1000 and the Ultrasone Pro 900? I am really having a hard time picking between both. (I know it's apples & oranges, but..)
What I want is an accurate sound that does almost all genres well. Deep bass that can give impact when required, smooth mids and treble, and a good soundstage depth and width. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #8,089 of 29,490
If you're okay with an open headphone (leakage) I'd suggest the HD 598, are maybe the Beyer DT880. 

For a closed headphone (no leakage) look into the DT 770 and the Ultrasone Pro 750.

It all really depends on your listening environment. They're all fairly good choices for the stated genres (598 is my favorite, but that's just me). 

Quote:
Price range would be up to maybe 200 bucks...I listen to a lot of old 80's Hair band rock, but also some classical music.  The gaming aspect doesnt matter to me really. I just threw it out there in case someone needed to know it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #8,090 of 29,490
Great Idea!

OK I AM A TOTAL NEWBIE TO THIS WEBSITE AND GOOD 

QUALITY HEADPHONES IN GENERAL

[size=small]I am new to this and I want to get a pair of noise cancelling or over ear headphones. I want the best sound and minimal leaking for under $100. I've got this far.[/size]

[size=small]        [/size] I'm thinking of getting the Sony MDRNC40 Noise Cancelling Headphones.
I know they are noise cancelling and they stop me hearing outside when they are on,
But do they work both ways?

If you own or have owned these headphones please give me a general review and what you thought of them.

I am also thinking of getting the Sony Xbass MDR-XB300 Headphones. I mainly listen to Dubstep, Drum'n'Bass, Hardstyle, Electro, etc, so good Bass is essential
Again:Do they leak much? 
Can other people hear what I'm listening to?
I need to be able to use them in a library and in school.

I want the best sound quality but I need to be able to use them in library and school. 
ALL SUGGESTIONS VERY WELCOME
MY SKYPE; paddyquigley1
feell free to add me

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #8,091 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and am looking for some advice! 

The bands I mainly listen to are Phish, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Explosions in the Sky, Umphrey's McGee, and the Talking Heads.

Phish & Grateful Dead are by far my 2 main bands, and all the stuff I listen to by them is live shows. I try to get as many SBD (soundboards) copies as I can when downloading these shows, and so I'm not going to be listening to a ton of ****ty audience recordings :p

I'll mainly be using these on my computer and iPod Classic (no amp).
The maximum I want to spend is $200. Although if the perfect headphones are $230 or something I might pull the trigger anyway :wink:

On the subject of open / closed, I think that I would prefer closed, unless open is a lot better for my type of music. I really have on idea on the difference besides the fact that open headphones have a lot of leakage. I'll be going to college next year and plan on bringing these with me (obviously) so I don't want to be stuck with a pair of expensive "open" headphones that I can't use anywhere without disturbing other people.

Thanks guys! 

Just reposting this because it was the last post on the last page and I don't want it to get lost :p

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #8,092 of 29,490

Quote:
I have had a pair of DT770s Pro 80's for quite some time. They are great sounding headphones and have been my first real pair of quality headphones. However, I am finding them to be rather big and bulky with a cumbersome, long cable. I usually listen to music on my laptop (Macbook Pro 13 Sandy Bridge, Unamped) while I am studying in the library. I am intrigued by the HD 25 headphones at the right price, but I am sceptical. Could somebody tell me how they fare against the DT770 Pro 80 in the following categories in order of importance:

1) Comfort (Most Important)
2) Isolation 
3) Sound Character (Least important)

I am not saying sound is not important to me (Trying to ward off the wolves). For my needs, isolation and comfort are more important. For sound character I don't want anyone to waste their own time writing a long essay on its soundstage, sibilance, bass response, magical faerie dust etc. All I would need is for somebody could just tell me if the HD 25 sounds just as good as the DT770 Pro 80 or if there is a huge difference in sound. Also, I am aware that many people suggest upgrading the HD25 cable and I will probably be replacing the stock cable with an HD600 cable so if you can compare the beyers to the senns + cable upgrade and velour pads that would be swell. I should also mention that I am looking to buy an iPod 5th gen off of ebay with the hopes of making it an imod paired with a Fiio E11 or E10. If you feel there is a better headphone suited for my needs please do share.

Edit: Mostly listen to electronic music, movie film scores, the beatles, radiohead, coldplay and a little bit of rap.

I would say the DT770 is both more comfortable and isolates better. The HD25 clamps quite a bit, and I find it especially bad with my glasses. Isolation with on-ears are generally better, but the DT770 is an exception as it has one of the best isolations that I've heard (er, not heard).

Soundwise, the HD25 is punchier in the bass (while the DT770 is more of a whomp) and significantly stronger in the treble. 

If you're looking for something more portable, still comfortable, and with a similar sound signature... I would go with the AiAiAi TMA-1. 

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and am looking for some advice! 

The bands I mainly listen to are Phish, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Explosions in the Sky, Umphrey's McGee, and the Talking Heads.

Phish & Grateful Dead are by far my 2 main bands, and all the stuff I listen to by them is live shows. I try to get as many SBD (soundboards) copies as I can when downloading these shows, and so I'm not going to be listening to a ton of ****ty audience recordings :p

I'll mainly be using these on my computer and iPod Classic (no amp).
The maximum I want to spend is $200. Although if the perfect headphones are $230 or something I might pull the trigger anyway :wink:

On the subject of open / closed, I think that I would prefer closed, unless open is a lot better for my type of music. I really have on idea on the difference besides the fact that open headphones have a lot of leakage. I'll be going to college next year and plan on bringing these with me (obviously) so I don't want to be stuck with a pair of expensive "open" headphones that I can't use anywhere without disturbing other people.

Thanks guys! 

So you want closed, portable, and reasonably rugged. I just so happen to have a review in the works... 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1-in-progress/

Quote:
Wow how didn't I see this thread, sorry for my other thread!I'll start afresh.I listen to all sorts, metal, metallica, dream theater, indie, rock, coldplay, beirut, triphop, portishead massive attack and classical. Not so much hip hop, drum & bass, trance sometimes. Also good for gaming wouldn't hurt. Home use only although closed could be a bonus but not at the expense of sound.

I've listened to Alessandro MS-1 which I find uncomfortable, great tone for rock etc but small soundstage, slightly lacking bass and slightly bright, fatiguing. ATH-ESW10 Japan which I also find uncomfortable, though nice for classical & electronic, muddy bass, slightly too dark, claustrophobic.

I have done a lot of research and the Senn HD 958 sounds right up my street based on what's been said. Comfortable, open, wide soundstage, forward mids (tone more like SR80i than ATH?).

What else should I consider before being set on these? Budget around £150 if possible. Not planning on buying an amp just yet.
Thankyou 

The Senn is a great choice. If amping is an option, also consider a Beyer DT880

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #8,093 of 29,490

Quote:
Great Idea!
[size=small]I am new to this and I want to get a pair of noise cancelling or over ear headphones. I want the best sound and minimal leaking for under $100. I've got this far.[/size]

[size=small]        [/size] I'm thinking of getting the Sony MDRNC40 Noise Cancelling Headphones.
I know they are noise cancelling and they stop me hearing outside when they are on,
But do they work both ways?

If you own or have owned these headphones please give me a general review and what you thought of them.

I am also thinking of getting the Sony Xbass MDR-XB300 Headphones. I mainly listen to Dubstep, Drum'n'Bass, Hardstyle, Electro, etc, so good Bass is essential
Again:Do they leak much? 
Can other people hear what I'm listening to?
I need to be able to use them in a library and in school.

I want the best sound quality but I need to be able to use them in library and school. 
ALL SUGGESTIONS VERY WELCOME

Within your budget, don't bother with active noise cancellation. Just get something decent passive isolation.  Besides, active noise cancellation only blocks (some) outside noise, it doesn't do anything about sound leaking out. 

The Sony XB series are decent at isolation and leakage. Consider stepping up to the 500 or 700.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8,094 of 29,490
Thanks for the help Armigis, so without noise cancellation, have you any other suggestions. I'm reading reviews on the XB  and I hear they leak alot! Is this true? I will be using them in school and  in the library so I want minimal leakage. Any  other suggestions that may be better value for money but for now I'll probably go with the XB 500 or 700 for now.  Under $100 maximum sound and minimal leakage. Remember I'm new to this.
-Thanks so far

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8,095 of 29,490

Quote:
Also, just throwing out another option: good luck breaking the Senn PX 360.  Easily drivable out of a laptop/DAP and a lot of low end punch.  Metal headband with leather coverings and really hard plastic.  Featherweight tanks with really good passive isolation.

Well, you shouldn't break them unless you put them through a lot of abuse.  The impedance is low so I guess you could blow them up but I'm guessing the input power they can handle will be enough since you'll be driving out of computers and portable players.

I think with that model you certainly get what you pay for... and in the long run it could be cheaper than having to replace 30-50 dollar cans several times.

There is another can for cheaper I'd love to recommend that really is indestructible (Steel headphone and still not really heavy) but it is a 300 ohm and likely won't give you good quality without an amp.

I guess it really comes down to opportunity cost.  If you want to spend that other money on something else that is worth more to you, go for it... but I think that is a good asking price for what you get.  If you like bass, they've got it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #8,096 of 29,490
Thanks Armaegis.
I had also considered the DT880 but yes I thought it would require an amp.
Although I heard the DT880 is more neutral and could be called 'boring' plus the soundstage is not nearly as wide apparently. 

Oh one thing that put me off about the HD 598 is it has been said to be "grainy", what exactly does that mean? 

Thanks
Quote:
The Senn is a great choice. If amping is an option, also consider a Beyer DT880

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #8,097 of 29,490

Quote:
I think you'd like the HD25 although you'll need to stretch them a bit to get them more comfortable. They have excellent isolation though. As far as the cable goes it's not a bad cable, and it's actually quite nice for most portable uses. Sturdy L jack. It's just a little short. 

Comparing comfort directly to a Beyer you'll find them uncomfortable. Beyers have a great rep for being very comfortable. Also, the biggest difference will be in the kind of bass you get. The Beyers have very 'big' bass, where as the 25's bass will hit harder but not be quite as 'subwoofer-y'. The 25 wins in every other category (IMO). Mids, highs, etc. as they are quite balanced. 

I think they'd be great for you except the possible comfort issue. Take a look at the Phiaton MS300/400 as well. They're more comfortable and the isolation aint half bad. 

Thanks for the help....but those are all out of budget :frowning2:. My friend doesn't want to go over $125 max, and those all seem to be around $200, give or take. Unless you know of some secret store? :)

By the way they don't have to be portable, just that his sources are an iPod and a laptop...he doesn't have anything else to plug them into!

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #8,098 of 29,490
Hey I could sure use some assistance.  I'm trying to resuscitate my Sennheiser PMX-100's which I LOVE.  I've had them for 2 years now and use them to workout.  Basically the cabling that plugs into the jack was loose causing me to lose audio in 1 ear or if I twisted and played with the cord I could temporarily get sound in both ears if I held the cord.  Unfortunately this doesn't work well because a mere couple minutes after I let go of the cord I lose audio again :frowning2:

Anyways I got one of these plugs from radio shack and trying to fix it.  I'm still tinkering with it trying to get the audio quality as good as before but haven't gotten it yet. 

I need to find a new set of headphones for $35 or less.  I listen to mostly Drum and Bass, Hip Hop, UK Garage, House...lots of beats with bass.  I'm open to anything that won't slip out of my ears if I'm sweating and moving around in my workouts and it needs to be durable. 

I've tried the Koss Sportapro's in the past but they're god awful ugly.  From what I've read these are the only behind the neck headphones out there in my price range that's supposed to deliver good bass.  I'm really looking for anything comparable to the Sennhesier PMX-100's....I really love the SQ they produce.

I've never tried IEM's, but the SoundMagic E10's are right at $34.95 and based on what I've read they would sound decent.  I don't know how durable IEM's are though and if they'd stay in my ears during workouts.

Again any assistance is appreciated...working out with crap SQ is a nightmare!!!  Oh yeah and my source is a Sony NWZ E-354 mp3 player.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #8,099 of 29,490

Hey all,
I'm new to the whole hi-fi game, so I'm looking for some advice.  I want a pair of full-sized headphones for home stereo and mobile use.  I'm looking to spend around $200.

Aesthetics are important.  I love the Grado look but from what I've read, they aren't the headphones for me.  Good sound separation is an absolute must.  I would say clarity and detail of the mids and highs is second most important.  I don't need an excessive amount of bass, but it is important for the lows to be tight and controlled.

I'll be listening to a lot of ambient and experimental music, along with some synth pop and indie rock.  Pretty much all of the music I listen to on a regular basis employs a hefty amount of reverb, so I'm really looking for some cans that can delve inside that and pick out the distinction that I'm probably missing.

I'm interested in getting a portable headphone amp too, so if you have any suggestions there, they'd be appreciated as well.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #8,100 of 29,490
Need a great open/closed pair of headphones between $100-$150 for home listening genres listened to are rock, electronica, anime music, pop music.

Doing this on behalf of a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back