++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #8,116 of 29,490
Posted about 10 pages back but I got missed so Ill try again :)

I'm looking at getting some new headphones to upgrade from my HD558s in around the $350 ish range (willing to look into used also) to pair with an Audio GD NFB-12. I listen to mostly dub step, and will also be using them for gaming and occasionally to watch tv/movies. Around 50% music 30% gaming 20% tv. I use them a lot so thinking open would be the best

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #8,117 of 29,490
Thanks for all the help so far <3 
So I'll probably go with the sony XB series.
Which one would you reccomend.
I know I asked this already but do they leak much?
I need to be able to use them in school and library.
I think closed means they don't leak much but I don't know :p

At the moment, I'm using a shifty little old walkman. Its only 2gig and that's not good enough.  
But I lost my ipod touch 64gig  =[
My old ipod classic 30gig has a broken screen and I might get that fixed
I know this is probably the wrong forum to be asking this but, can you reccomend a good value mp3 player. I only need it for music and I need good memory.

Correct me if I sound stupid but do I need an amp?

-Thank you all so much

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #8,118 of 29,490
The XB series do NOT need an amp (maybe the 1000, but they're in a different league). 

I'd recommend the 500 or 700. They don't leak a lot out, but they let more in. You shouldn't have to worry too much about it unless you just blast them all the time. 

As far as a DAP goes...Take a look at the Cowon J3. You can expand via SD and get pretty decent space on the player itself. It's well liked around here for its options.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help so far <3 
So I'll probably go with the sony XB series.
Which one would you reccomend.
I know I asked this already but do they leak much?
I need to be able to use them in school and library.
I think closed means they don't leak much but I don't know :p

At the moment, I'm using a shifty little old walkman. Its only 2gig and that's not good enough.  
But I lost my ipod touch 64gig  =[
My old ipod classic 30gig has a broken screen and I might get that fixed
I know this is probably the wrong forum to be asking this but, can you reccomend a good value mp3 player. I only need it for music and I need good memory.

Correct me if I sound stupid but do I need an amp?

-Thank you all so much

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #8,120 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. What is the difference between the 500 and 700?
I know I probably should know the basics before coming to a website like this but anyway...
-Thanks again

I'm looking at the XB700s as well, I'm more into DnB music, but also enjoy rock ( broad range of sub genres ) and I just really want a nice pair that can play a lot of music, without breaking the bank.

So I'm seeking advice like Azerk, as well.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #8,121 of 29,490
I recently bought the Audio Technica AD700 headphones, and while I do love them, I hate the ear pad. They are very itchy and irritate my skin. The velvet pads are very comfortable, I just hate the material. Can someone please recommend some ear pads that are similar in softness/comfortableness and where to buy? I've been googling for quite some time and although I can find replacement pads for the AT AD700, I can't find something that is of a different material that will fit. I'm pretty new to higher quality audio stuff, so I'm not sure how much the sound changes due to the ear pads, but I'd prefer something that is cloth like and can breathe.

If I can't fix this thing I'm going to be forced to return them and try a different headphone, maybe the HD555, but I do like the sound of the AD700 and would prefer to stay with it.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #8,124 of 29,490

Quote:
So...this might be a bit of a post from a long-time lurker (6 years!).

I'm looking for a good all-rounder for $100, which is unfortunately all I can afford. I have a Sennheiser HD 555 that's been with me for about 6 years and is falling apart, which is breaking my heart, and JVC FX 33 Marshmallows for almost as long. I love the HD 555 but obviously they aren't portable, and the Marshmallows are exhausting and uncomfortable to wear for more than an hour.

What I'm hoping to find is something that I can use both at home and on-the-go. I don't mind having to throw it in my backpack, but just want the ability to. I would like to use it both for gaming and music, with musical tastes being a bit broad, from jazz to hip-hop, but mostly acoustic and rock oriented. Comfort is really key, as I wear glasses.

Am I asking for too much? Would I be better served getting two different $50 pairs of headphones? From what I can tell, IEM are not suitable at all for gaming.

I used to have the AKG k26p but found the clamping force pretty unbearable. I also had the JVC HAS700, which pressed against the point where my the back of my jaw meets my neck and made it very sore. I was thinking about the Sony MDR-ZX700, since from what I've read they have pretty decent isolation, but after the JVC and also trying other closed circumaural sets, I'm just really worried that they're not for me.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks so much!

on a budget, isolation and portability...
Sony V6/7506
Shure 440

Quote:
Posted about 10 pages back but I got missed so Ill try again :)

I'm looking at getting some new headphones to upgrade from my HD558s in around the $350 ish range (willing to look into used also) to pair with an Audio GD NFB-12. I listen to mostly dub step, and will also be using them for gaming and occasionally to watch tv/movies. Around 50% music 30% gaming 20% tv. I use them a lot so thinking open would be the best

Well there's the 598, or for something different: Beyer DT880, or maybe an open Ultrasone (there's a used Pro2500 on the sale forums right now)

Quote:
I recently bought the Audio Technica AD700 headphones, and while I do love them, I hate the ear pad. They are very itchy and irritate my skin. The velvet pads are very comfortable, I just hate the material. Can someone please recommend some ear pads that are similar in softness/comfortableness and where to buy? I've been googling for quite some time and although I can find replacement pads for the AT AD700, I can't find something that is of a different material that will fit. I'm pretty new to higher quality audio stuff, so I'm not sure how much the sound changes due to the ear pads, but I'd prefer something that is cloth like and can breathe.

If I can't fix this thing I'm going to be forced to return them and try a different headphone, maybe the HD555, but I do like the sound of the AD700 and would prefer to stay with it.

Not the prettiest thing, but maybe this as a temporary solution...? http://www.scansound.com/Stretchable-Headphone-Covers.htm

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #8,126 of 29,490
The 500 has more attack, but the 700 has bigger bass. 

Basically, the bigger the XB series gets the more like a subwoofer they sound, and the less kick they have. I think 'the bigger the better' for EDM, but if you like bass impact, you might want to get the 500s.

The size comment is also true. They get bigger as the line goes up. 300s - 30mm, 500s - 40mm, 700s - 50mm, 1000 - 70mm (I believe those are the correct driver sizes, anyway).

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. What is the difference between the 500 and 700?
I know I probably should know the basics before coming to a website like this but anyway...
-Thanks again

Quote:
I'm looking at the XB700s as well, I'm more into DnB music, but also enjoy rock ( broad range of sub genres ) and I just really want a nice pair that can play a lot of music, without breaking the bank.

So I'm seeking advice like Azerk, as well.

Quote:
Yeah, I mainly listen to Dubstep, DnB. Rap, some Rock and stuff  like that.
I think the 700 s are bigger and the 500 s are smaller again and then the 300 s.

Regular use and just leaving them plugged into something playing music. Some people burn in with 'noise' (white, pink, brown, whatever), but I just leave music playing through them. 

EDIT: Most suggest right above listening level for burn in.

Quote:
I keep hearing about this burn in. How do you guys break in a new pair of headphones? Just normal usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back